Photo

Week 3: Nynaeve vs. Lanfear

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 3: Nynaeve vs. Lanfear (211 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Nynaeve (137 votes [64.93%])

Percentage of vote: 64.93%

2. Lanfear (74 votes [35.07%])

Percentage of vote: 35.07%

Vote

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

Posted Image

Write-up by: Despothera

The Contestants

Nynaeve al’Meara
Race: Human
Weapon: the One Power
Special: Set of ter'angreal jewelry that bestow awesome effects

Lanfear
Race: Human
Weapon: the One Power
Special: Age of Legends knowledge

The Breakdown

Advantages
Nynaeve: immense strength in the One Power, indomitable will, quick learner
Lanfear: unequaled strength and skill in using saidar, highly capable in Tel'aran'rhiod

Disadvantages
Nynaeve: has the self-control of a two-year-old, recklessness
Lanfear: overly confident, generally dismissive of most other female channelers

How we think the fight will go:

Lanfear strode purposefully through the courtyard, glancing about in a furtive manner. She knew that stasis box had to be around here somewhere. The Friend of the Dark that she tortured to find out its location told her exactly where she would be able to find it; she knew he would have just as quickly told her where and how she could find and kill any one of his family, considering the treatment she had given him.

In the back of her head, she knew the real reason she had been so brutally efficient in his questioning. The fight she had just had with the old, graying grandmother of so-called Aes Sedai had tested her far more than it should have. That old bat had had more tricks up her sleeves than Lanfear would have thought. To think that all of her plans had almost come to naught due to some old maid who thought she could take on one of the Chosen!

Lanfear cursed at herself for letting her thoughts drift to that fight again. Every time she thought of it her blood started to boil anew. She calmed herself down in moments, her mask suddenly the picture of cold calculation. Soon, she would find that stasis box. Inside she would no doubt find some kind of object that would help give her an advantage, were she to meet another skilled channeler in battle again. A severe grimace crossed Lanfear's face as she thought of how that sounded. The idea that she, one of the Chosen, would have to scrape for some angreal or ter'angreal just because she had run into some light-blinded fool with a paralis-net!

Lanfear put aside the thoughts that once again had her nearly fuming. Suddenly, she felt a strange feeling, as if she were being watched. She realized with self-scolding fury that she had had the feeling for some time, but had ignored it because she had been thinking of that encounter once again. Glancing around with a paranoid eye, she did a slight double-take when she saw the young woman crouching several paces away.

Realizing who it was, Lanfear embraced saidar with a frenzied rush.

Nynaeve gripped her braid harder, cursing inwardly. She knew Lanfear couldn't have seen her sneaking up on her; she was too careful for that! Looking the Daughter of the Night in the eyes, she stood straighter and let herself fill with as much saidar as she could draw. The ring ter'angreal she was wearing helped her locate the Forsaken, after it alerted her to the channeling in the first place.

She kept the ter'angreal activated nearly all the time now; it had the ability to alert her to the presence of anyone who channeled either saidar or saidin. It came as part of a set of ter'angreal jewelry and was connected to the bracelet by a fine gold chain. Nynaeve had felt slightly uncomfortable with it for a time, not used to wearing gaudy jewelry, but after growing comfortable with the different abilities the items conferred, she had no problem using them to help her track down and kill possible threats to Rand.

As soon as she saw the glow of saidar surround the other woman, multiple weaves began springing up around the Forsaken, almost more than she could keep track of, and almost any of them could kill her were they to hit their target. Nynaeve activated the bracelet ter'angreal now, and an armor tougher and more resilient than steel suddenly encased her skin. Nynaeve knew the armor would help deflect some of the more benign physical attacks from Lanfear, so she could focus on countering some of the more subtle ones directed at her mind and spirit.

She fended off what seemed like a storm of separate attack weaves, not being able to spare a moment for anything other than dodging and cutting separate flows. The attack continued in a frenetic effort on Lanfear's part, and by the set look on her face, she would not relent anytime soon.

Each weave that Nynaeve successfully cut sent a small tremor through Lanfear's features, but the Age of Legends channeler had far too much control to let that affect her weaving. Nynaeve started to sense a feeling from the attacks, a kind of panicked frenzy to them. The barrage continued, though, and Nynaeve knew if she kept trying to fend them all off she would soon become too exhausted to channel. Diving behind a small column, she wove a gateway to right behind where Lanfear was standing, running through it with all abandon.

The second she came out from the other side, however, she was instantly met with the oncoming path of a fireball headed straight for her. She was able to let her momentum carry her almost beyond the attack, and her armor absorbed the rest, but she still ended up hitting the ground hard, with her green silk dress smoldering.

She beat at her dress savagely, cursing the thin fabric of it. I wouldn't have to worry about my clothing catching fire if I was wearing some good stout Two Rivers wool! she thought while continuing to beat at the small fires on herself. Suddenly, she swiveled her head back around to face Lanfear. She realized with a sick feeling in her stomach that she was shielded.

She saw a smile begin to emerge on Lanfear's face, a triumphant and playful smile aimed to strike fear into Nynaeve. Instead Nynaeve drew from her belt ter'angreal, which contained a stored up well of saidar that she now used to blast Lanfear with a solid thick weave of Air. Lanfear was sent rocketing back to collide into a wall, and looked like she was momentarily dazed.

Knowing she had but little time to try and press the advantage, Nynaeve began preparing a weave of balefire to take out the little milk-faced vixen once and for all. She bared her teeth as she unleashed the weave which headed straight for the fallen Forsaken.

Lanfear dove aside just as a bar of molten hot white metal shot through the air beside her, shooting through where she had just been and taking out several pieces of architecture behind her with it. The balefire stream continued, and began to hone in on her like a hawk seeking its prey. Lanfear continued sprinting about, drawing open a gateway as fast as she could to get away from the terrible weave.

As soon as she came out the other side however, the stream quickly corrected its path and headed straight for her, making her have to scurry away again as fast as she could. Briefly her mind went back to the scene near Aridhol, when she had been unable to do much more than escape with her life, much less stop Rand and this little chit from cleansing saidin. Dismissing the memory with a bitter fury, she sprinted once again around another corner and began to weave another gateway.

Instead of going through it, however, she went around it and ducked down. The balefire stream shot past her and winked out briefly, but as she glanced up for a moment she saw Nynaeve searching the columns predatorily. Lanfear began preparing more offensive weaves, taking care this time to invert them and hide her channeling, but the second she started weaving Nynaeve spun around and unleashed another stream of balefire straight at her.

Once again forced to flee, the Daughter of the Night began coordinating a different strategy. Thinking fast, she spun a gateway to the world of dreams, Tel'aran'rhiod, where she could use the environment against this little upstart brat of an Aes Sedai.

As soon as she had stepped through the gateway, she began preparing her ambush. With a thought, she changed her appearance to that of an old hag and began to set up a couple of choice weaves to direct at the Aes Sedai as soon as she stepped through. Just as she thought she would, the young female channeler stepped through and hurriedly began looking around for her. Lanfear began setting off her weaves, and watched with cold fury as they were both negated by the strange armor the young girl seemed to be wearing.

Nynaeve spun around immediately, and Lanfear felt the new flows she had been weaving become cut apart and rebound back into her. Lanfear considered weaving her own balefire weave, then thought again of why she had brought this fight back to the world of dreams. Not bothering to finish the weave, Lanfear instead focused her mental focus on Nynaeve now, and began to think of Nynaeve as very slow-witted and forgetful.

In moments, Nynaeve's jaw suddenly started to go slack, and she assumed a dead eyed stare in her eyes as her arms fell to her side. The second Lanfear was able to, she slammed a shield down on Nynaeve, and continued to exert her will upon the defenseless channeler. She now imagined Nynaeve to be in increasing discomfort and pain, and began planning how she would use this one against Rand. She knew this girl was close to Rand; she would make a fine instrument to carry out Lanfear's revenge.

That would be later, however. Much later. First Lanfear would carefully select a long and particularly inventive punishment for the fool who thought she could take on one of the Chosen and live to tell the tale. Lanfear began searching her mind for the most dastardly weaves she knew.

Nynaeve's mind was blank, even though a second before she had been crafting the flows that would ensnare Lanfear once again. She felt like she had just been able to do something important, but before she could finish the attack, she suddenly lost all track of who and where she was. Seconds later, pain began to wrack her body, but she was unable to figure out why, or how. She struggled to even remember what she had been in the middle of, thinking it had something to do with Rand.

Who was Rand? A thought started to emerge in her mind, but before it could her mind went blank again. Her body started to convulse slightly due to the painful tremors shooting through her body, and she once again attempted to gather her thoughts. It seemed an impossible task; she was barely able to focus on anything for even brief moments before a fog would suddenly disrupt her mind.

Lan.

The word came with an image, this one slightly clearer than any other images she had tried to focus on around her. The image seemed to sprout strange feelings inside her; one moment filling her with joy, the next ultimate sadness. A stern face that looked to have little room for a smile suddenly sprouted one, and Nynaeve knew it was meant for her. I...know this man, she thought hazily, using every ounce of effort she had left to focus on this one image.

Lan. Lan Mandragoran. A warrior, and a fine one indeed. But he was in trouble, and he...he was...he was her husband! She could not fail him, she could not leave him to the fate he had carved for himself. Only one person could prevent that fool man from meeting his death so willingly, and that person was Nynaeve.

Nynaeve's eyes suddenly narrowed with determination, and after another couple of moments she looked around her with a grim countenance on her face. She saw Lanfear only a couple of paces from her, and back in her usual form. The Forsaken was facing the other way from her and had a calculating look on her face.

As Nynaeve strode a quick couple paces towards Lanfear, not seeing her dress change into a full set of battle armor that looked to be fashioned in the style of a Two Rivers dress, Lanfear spun around as just as Nynaeve was right in front of her, and surprise started to blossom on the Daughter of Night's face, but Nynaeve's hands were already raising together. A sword suddenly appeared in those hands, and she swung with all her might.

Teeth clenched together, Nynaeve felt little resistance as the heavy shortsword separated Lanfear's head from its shoulders to land several feet away with a sickening splat. Nynaeve stood there holding the sword for another few moments, breathing heavily and shivering slightly, before she finally regained her composure.

She looked around again as if suddenly realizing where she was, and got a disgusted look on her face. She didn't remember much of what those white-haired women with Egwene had told her about this place, but she did remember that it was supposed to be evil to come in the flesh. Dismissing the sword and armor, she wove a gateway and stepped through, giving the headless body of the Forsaken one more glance before closing the gateway.

Predicted Winner: Nynaeve

You have until Saturday, February 4th at 9:00 p.m. PST to vote.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 MegaZeroX

MegaZeroX
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yay I looked just when these are coming out! I am looking forward to the write-up!

#3 shadowofomioc

shadowofomioc
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Looking forward to the write up. Nynaeve is just too stubborn to lose though. And just as strong as Lanfear I think.

#4 Nightstrike

Nightstrike
  • Members
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

Nynaeve is weaker than Alivia, and Alivia had a really hard time against Cyndane. Although I believe Nynaeve is probably more skilled and Talented than Alivia, so Lanfear might be in trouble. Nynaeve is allowed her 'angreal (plural), right?

I think I will have to vote on Nynaeve, since I think strength does matter most of the times.

Edited by Nightstrike, 29 January 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#5 jkigndude

jkigndude
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

I vote Nyneave if we go with the present (so to speak) of Nyneave vs. Cyndane (who is weaker) but I would have to vote Lanfear if we went with original strength Lanfear due to strength and experience.

#6 Master Ablar

Master Ablar
  • DM - Staff
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:24 AM

I vote Nyneave if we go with the present (so to speak) of Nyneave vs. Cyndane (who is weaker) but I would have to vote Lanfear if we went with original strength Lanfear due to strength and experience.

It was Lanfear against Cadsuane, not Cyndane, so it'll probably be the same here. That said Cyndane is nearly as strong as she was as Lanfear. She's still stronger than Greandal for example. Definitely stronger than Nyneave.

I think one of the reasons the Black Tower has become so popular in fandom isn't just that you get to dress in black and set fires with your mind, it's the sense of struggle the Asha'man have. To save the world, they have to embrace the part of themselves that's terrible and destructive. They risk madness to learn how to channel. It's a tremendous sacrifice they make.

#7 Tobias

Tobias
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

Can't they both pass? This is a rather hard call.

#8 Vanlan

Vanlan
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

If it's Lanfear and not Cyndane we're talking about I have to give the win to Lanfear. Lanfear was supposed to be the strongest of the female forsaken while Nynaeve is some where between Graendal and Moghedien.

Edited by Vanlan, 30 January 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#9 arianrose

arianrose
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

I have to give Nynaeve the edge here based on sheer bloody-minded stubborness. She won't give up until she's dead, and I'm not sure she'd give up then! Lanfear hasn't faced any significant opposition this Age, and I don't think she's ready for what a wilder "girl" could do in the height of anger.

#10 Ishmael Forsaken

Ishmael Forsaken

Silly Sausage

• Banned
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

With Mrs. Mandragorans wealth of angreal and ter'angreal, and Lanfears lack of them, Nyn wins. If both were unaided, as much as I'd hate it, Nyn loses. I voted Nyn because I'm pretty sure in these contests that she gets to keep them.

EmpyMafia_zpse1720b82.jpg

Yellow Warder to Luciena ** Brother to WildTaltos

#11 Master Ablar

Master Ablar
  • DM - Staff
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

If Moridin is kicking Logain's butt, why isn't Lanfear doing the same to Nyneave? The matches are quite similar. The only difference's are that Nyneave has terangreal and angreal and Moridin can use the TP, although Lanfear might be able to use that as well since this is before she fell out of favor. Cadsuane had terangreal and angreal as well and she lost to Lanfear even though it was close. Nyneave may be stronger but she's less experienced than Cadsuane. Nyneave is good but apart from her objects of power, she's at a disadvantage in every area against Lanfear.

I think one of the reasons the Black Tower has become so popular in fandom isn't just that you get to dress in black and set fires with your mind, it's the sense of struggle the Asha'man have. To save the world, they have to embrace the part of themselves that's terrible and destructive. They risk madness to learn how to channel. It's a tremendous sacrifice they make.

#12 Smittyphi

Smittyphi
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

If Moridin is kicking Logain's butt, why isn't Lanfear doing the same to Nyneave? The matches are quite similar.

Because it's also a popularity contest in some degree.

#13 MegaZeroX

MegaZeroX
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

If Moridin is kicking Logain's butt, why isn't Lanfear doing the same to Nyneave? The matches are quite similar.

Because it's also a popularity contest in some degree.

For some people, yes. For others, no. This is why Lan and Fain have been neck and neck most of the time. People who want the most realistic person will choose Fain, and the people who really want Lan to win will try to rationalize it (IMO). Here, 2/3 have chosen Nynaeve, including myself. Honestly, I chose Lanfear for the first but Nynaeve for this, and Moridin for both. The reason for these:

1)Only Moridin would use the TP willingly since most of the Forsaken are afraid to use it most of the time. To further this point, Moghedien didn't use the TP the whole time she was trapped in the A'dam when she still had access to it.

2)Nynaeve is not only a little stronger in the power than Cadsuane, but quite a bit. Moiraine, shortly after the events of NS, became the 2nd strongest channeler alive, second only to Cadsuane (based on what Cadsuane told Moiraine in her short appearance in NS). Elayne is currently quite a bit stronger than Moiraine, and she is still getting stronger. Egwene has reached her maximum potential, and is reasonably stronger than Elayne. Nynaeve should be (by now) as strong or stronger than Egwene, and maybe still growing. It has been stated that she, upon reaching her potential, is stronger than Egwene. Going by this, she should be about 20-30% stronger than Cadsuane, while Lanfear would have been maybe 50% stronger than Cadsuane. That being said, Lanfear is still stronger, but just not enough to assure certain victory.

3)Nynaeve has more experience with Forsaken than Cadsuane. Cadsuane's only experience is with Semirhage, whom she only confronted once, while Nynaeve spent the better part of half a year with a Forsaken. She battled with Moghedien multiple times and had control of her for months. Nynaeve seems the logical choice, since although inexperienced, she seems to think more clearly under pressure than people seem to think she does, especially after breaking her Block. Even though Lanfear is pre-LOC, it doesn't seem fair to power down Nynaeve, so it should be post-TOM Nynaeve vs. pre-LOC Lanfear. In this scenario, it just seems logical that Nynaeve should win.

Sorry for such a long post.

Edited by MegaZeroX, 31 January 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#14 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

Lanfear is not merely the strongest woman Forsaken, she is as strong as woman can get! Like LTT/Ishamael in the male scale.

Alivia is "considerably stronger" than Nynaeve. The way the Sea Folk said this and what Nyaneve thought (PoV), that whatever she does Alivia will overwhelm her. So even holding the OP, Alivia would shield her.

Implies that Alivia is "very much stronger" than Nyaneve.

Cyndane is "weaker than Lanfear" according to Messana...implies that Lanfear was stronger. Cyndane is stronger than Grandael.

Lanfear >= Alivia.

Without the angreal and Fox head medallion, Nyaneve is TOAST. With them, she can defeat Lanfear.

Alivia had trouble even with an angreal because she is all offense.

Edited by Entreri, 31 January 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#15 78WARLOCK

78WARLOCK
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'll assume that this is pre-twisted door way as Cyndane is not as powerful as she was as Lanfear. That being said, while the al'Meara girl would probably have her roots pulled out, if she did'nt get torched in the first couple of exchanges she would be able to throw what she saw right back at Lanfear, knowing any weave seen but one time. That would be a shock to the Daughter of Night ! This would probably come down to fist-a-cuffs as they are so evenly matched and that edge goes to...Nynaeve al'Meara. She'll "box her ears till...well they ache"
"Tia avende alantin"

#16 Alric

Alric
  • Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Nynaeve. I'm not sure how much Lanfear will be reduced since I haven't read that far yet, but with Nyn's determination I think she'd just barely lose to batsh*t crazy Lanfear from the early books. With more experience she will definitely manage to throw her off balance and take her out.

#17 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'll assume that this is pre-twisted door way as Cyndane is not as powerful as she was as Lanfear. That being said, while the al'Meara girl would probably have her roots pulled out, if she did'nt get torched in the first couple of exchanges she would be able to throw what she saw right back at Lanfear, knowing any weave seen but one time. That would be a shock to the Daughter of Night ! This would probably come down to fist-a-cuffs as they are so evenly matched and that edge goes to...Nynaeve al'Meara. She'll "box her ears till...well they ache"

You are correct. Messana said she is "weaker" than Lanfear. However, Cyndane is "stronger" than Grandael (I believe in book 8 or 9, when Moggy+Cyndane visited Grandael).

Lanfear > Cyndane > Grandael > Nynaeve >=Semirhage > Messana > Moghdien

Only woman who might be as strong as Lanfear is Alivia, described in book 9 as being "considerably stronger" than Nyaneve.

Nynaeve PoV it said Alivia would "overwhelm" her whatever she did. Keep in mind that Nyaneve could not overwhelm Elayne in book 7 (Elayne was holding the Power, Nynaeve was unable to shield her).

Fortunately Nyaneve has an angreal+Fox head, Nynaeve+angreal > Lanfear.

#18 Duskfire

Duskfire
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:08 AM

Nynaeve beat Lanfear? Seriously?

Is Nynaeve actually any good on a magic combat level? She is like Aginor; strong in the One Power but her abilities are focused on other areas then just fighting. Lanfear would have access to various weaves and whatnot that Nynaeve would never have heard of. Look at Lanfear on the docks with her fateful encountr with Moiraine; she was destroying everyone, no one could do a thing against her. And sure, she has lost a bit of strength but not enough to make that much of a difference, and she still has the knowledge. Alivia is probably Rands strongest female fighter channeling wise, who has 400+ years of being honed into a weapon. Cyndane still injured her. Nynaeve has what... 5ish years of... healing?

This is an absolute no contest. taking popularity out of it, Lanfear would destroy Nynaeve. Nynaeve may be stubborn, but that doesnt help when being pummeled with spells you have no knowledge of and no way to counter. I am stubborn to, but I wouldnt have been to take on Bruce Lee at his prime.

Might as well ask who would win a fight between Damer Flinn and Rand.

#19 Master Ablar

Master Ablar
  • DM - Staff
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Nynaeve beat Lanfear? Seriously?

Is Nynaeve actually any good on a magic combat level? She is like Aginor; strong in the One Power but her abilities are focused on other areas then just fighting. Lanfear would have access to various weaves and whatnot that Nynaeve would never have heard of. Look at Lanfear on the docks with her fateful encountr with Moiraine; she was destroying everyone, no one could do a thing against her. And sure, she has lost a bit of strength but not enough to make that much of a difference, and she still has the knowledge. Alivia is probably Rands strongest female fighter channeling wise, who has 400+ years of being honed into a weapon. Cyndane still injured her. Nynaeve has what... 5ish years of... healing?

This is an absolute no contest. taking popularity out of it, Lanfear would destroy Nynaeve. Nynaeve may be stubborn, but that doesnt help when being pummeled with spells you have no knowledge of and no way to counter. I am stubborn to, but I wouldnt have been to take on Bruce Lee at his prime.

Might as well ask who would win a fight between Damer Flinn and Rand.

You can take Bruce Lee past his prime?

As for the fight, I think Lanfear would beat Nyneave as well. It wouldn't be simple considering Nyneave has a few objects of power, but I would still bet on Lanfear seeing how much knowledge and experience she has. And if Greandal was willing to use the TP, I don't see why Lanfear wouldn't be willing to use it just to take out Nyneave, whose foxhead-like terangreal will not defend her against the TP. Moridin is going to win this in the end anyway.

Edited by Master Ablar, 02 February 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#20 XXX47

XXX47
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Lanfear will smash Nyneave...the only way Ny wins as she is in this poll is because she is more popular. Nyn is not a fighter and her preferred way of fighting is overwhelming force which is fine most of time because she is so powerful but against Lanfer who is even more powerful and also much more skilled Nyn will be ground into dust.