Continued Discussion of Week 2 Matches

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

You may continue your discussions of all the Week 2 fights in this thread. Remember, those fights included:

1.) Birgitte vs. Min
2.) Lan vs. Thom
3.) Padan Fain vs. Shaidar Haran
4.) Selucia vs. Mat

(Winners are bolded.)

Have fun!
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 MegaZeroX

MegaZeroX
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

When are the next matches coming?

#3 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

While Fain is a BEAST now, SH is a shadowy form of Shai'tan. I think if they fight, they will nuke each other out (akin to the Cleansing).

#4 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

When are the next matches coming?

I start them on Sundays in the early afternoons PST. As such, I'm about to post them now.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#5 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 11,089 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

They're here!

Posted Image

#6 Duskfire

Duskfire
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:10 AM

Why wouldnt SH just balefire Fain? Dont understand why Fain would win that fight.

#7 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

Why wouldnt SH just balefire Fain? Dont understand why Fain would win that fight.

You know, despite the black flame, the vanishing of the True Source and the growing in height we don't know SH can channel--True Power or otherwise. We do know that he suffers many weaknesses--Brandon even stated that he had to act through minions often, due to these limitations. One cited example being him teaching Elza to break the warding on the Domination Band, which directly infers he could not actually do it himself, for all that he seems to know them.

He has powers, but we don't know the specifics. In fact the only thing we know for sure is that he has severe limitations.

Follow Me On Twitter: or check out my WoT FAQ and Theories

------

Terez: The word 'douche' appears twice in the database. Both times it's you

Luckers: I'm nothing if not a creature of habit.

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#8 Master Ablar

Master Ablar
  • DM - Staff
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

You know, despite the black flame, the vanishing of the True Source and the growing in height we don't know SH can channel--True Power or otherwise. We do know that he suffers many weaknesses--Brandon even stated that he had to act through minions often, due to these limitations. One cited example being him teaching Elza to break the warding on the Domination Band, which directly infers he could not actually do it himself, for all that he seems to know them.

He has powers, but we don't know the specifics. In fact the only thing we know for sure is that he has severe limitations.

Which is why it's rather hard to decide who would win a fight between the two. We know almost nothing of SH's powers, and Padan Fain's powers are not completely clear either.

I think one of the reasons the Black Tower has become so popular in fandom isn't just that you get to dress in black and set fires with your mind, it's the sense of struggle the Asha'man have. To save the world, they have to embrace the part of themselves that's terrible and destructive. They risk madness to learn how to channel. It's a tremendous sacrifice they make.

#9 Duskfire

Duskfire
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Theres also the black orb he creates to give of light, etc etc. I just find it funny that there was for years arguments that Mat could learn to channel because he got chills when Lanfear used a weave on him, yet here we have a Superfade who has done four things so far which has been linked to the series through channeling, and people are arguing that he doesn't. Not to mention everything that SH has created has been black, which is the True Power (black flames, black orb.) So unless the Dark One created SH to have weird unique powers specifically to create flames, the most simple explanation is that he can channel.