Photo

Week 2: Selucia vs. Mat

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 2: Selucia vs. Mat (245 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Selucia (11 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

2. Mat (234 votes [95.51%])

Percentage of vote: 95.51%

Vote

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image

Write-up by: Luckers

The Contestants

Mat Cauthon
Race: human
Weapon: ashendarei
Special: memories and experience of many lives.

Selucia
Race: human
Weapon: hands and feet
Special: extensive martial arts training as a bodyguard

The Breakdown

Advantages
Mat: Has the experience of a great many adventurers, soldiers, and other skilled individuals.
Selucia: Her skills as a martial artist are a closely held secret.

Disadvantages
Mat: Doesn't like to kill women.
Selucia: Suicidal sense of duty.

How we think the fight will go:

Mat grimaced when he saw Selucia standing in front of the door to the suite Tuon had claimed as her own. By the look on her face you might think that he was some dockyard ruffian come drunk to morning brunch, and worse, the buxom woman held herself as if she were some sort of bodyguard, intent to block his way. Well Mat was having none of that—the Light knew Selucia had been bad enough as Tuon’s maid, and no doubt she’d have a mind to be ten times worse now that she was so’jhin and soe’feia, but Mat Cauthon was Tuon’s husband, and if he was going to pay the price of that, then he’d at least get the respect of it.

Still, it was worth trying for a little peaceful negotiation. He was a reasonable man, after all. Summoning his most charming grin, he made the smoothest leg he could with the ashendarei in his hand. He should have left the damn thing back at the Band’s camp, but with Darkfriends after him every other day, he wouldn’t risk it. Well, no matter, it was here, for all that he’d have no use for it. “Evening Selucia,” he said, “is Tuon awake?”

Immediately he could tell the woman was angry, though she had no reason to be with him being as courteous as a Talmouri maiden. Mouth thinning to a line, she said, “The Empress, may she live forever, is not accepting visitations to the Presence. Return later.”

“Now listen here,” he began, his own temper beginning to rise, what with the way she was staring down her nose at him, “Tuon is my—”

“Tuon is dead, Highness.” Selucia cut him off. “The name will be remembered as honoured in the eyes of the Empire, whilst the Empress moves forward in glory. It is not, however, for me to speak that name to you.”

Tuon is dead? The Dark One’s left foot she was—Tuon was the talk of Ebou Dar, Tuon and holes in the air and an attack on the White Tower. That was why he came. He opened his mouth, then paused, frowning, remembering that nonsense with Leilwin. Light, but Seanchan were odd.

“Very well,” he said holding on to impatience with an iron fist, “but Tuon, the Empress, or the bloody Amyrlin Seat, I want to see my wife.”

Again he could tell that he’d said the wrong thing, almost immediately, and this once he could see the sense of it—why under the Light had he mentioned the Amyrlin Seat? Not that he had anything like the Seanchan sensibilities when it came to channelers, but about the only thing he could think of that was worse than being married to a noblewoman was being married to an Aes Sedai. Only, in Tuon he had found something very near to both, a thought which strangely no longer seemed to bother him.

“Selucia,” he began again—her left foot had begun to tap a steady beat, and she appeared to be thinking through the various things she intended to say to him. Unpleasant things, by that look. “I understand you’re just trying to do what you think Tu—what you think that the Empress would want, but I really need to speak to her. And I am going to.” He hesitated, and then forged ahead despite the sour taste in his mouth. “I am the Prince of the Ravens,” unless he had attained a new title with Tuon’s ascension to the Crystal Throne. Light! “And I need to speak with the Empress, so I shall do so whether you let me in, or whether I have to go through you.”

Her mouth thinned even further, and she did not move, as if she thought that she could actually stop him should he decide to force his way in—not that he’d hurt her. He’d killed a woman in the past and had no intention of doing so again, and certainly not a lady’s maid who’d no doubt never handled a knife in her life.

“Very well,” he said, stepping forward—and then staggering back, head ringing, staring at her in shock. Not only had he not even seen her move, her blow had had the weight of a tavern brawler behind it, not a soft as silk ladies maid.

“Are you insane?” he breathed, staring at her. Selucia? Hitting him!

“What the Empress sets in motion this day must not be stopped,” Selucia said calmly. “And you, though you are her husband, have shown the clarity of your loyalties when it comes to… certain matters. Therefore I shall do the ultimate duty, even though I shall die for having stuck you, Highness. I will keep you here, even if I must kill you to do so.”

“You are insane.” All Seanchan were, they had to be.

“I serve the Empress, and the Empire. In life, to death.”

He shook his head. Well didn’t that just kick the goat? But before he could think of anything more to say that would make the woman see reason, she moved, fast as a striking snake and with a grace to make a Myrddraal feel clumsy. She seemed to have sprouted new hands, so quickly did she attack, and she’d moved so close that the ashendarei was next to useless, and then it was useless in fact, as one of her blurring, knife-like hands chopped it out of his even as another struck at his temple in a way that would have left him insensate for hours had he not managed to slap the blow away. The whole time he was thinking, Selucia? Really? But then there was no more room for thought as he blocked blow after blow, each falling with the precision of long training.

Suddenly a knife was in her hands, and a sharp line of fire drew across his face under the eye that was no longer there, and he leapt back, cursing. She followed after, that blade stabbing holes in the air—and sometimes his coat, and once he himself—as he used every ounce of skill, either his or borrowed from memories stuffed in his head by the flaming foxes, to keep from ending up dead. I will do the ultimate duty, she had said. Light have mercy, she was going to skewer him! Grimacing, he went on the offensive—the damn woman left him no choice.

He caught her knife arm by the wrist, and with a twist, broke it, hating the sound and hating himself by equal measure. The blasted woman didn’t even flinch, and only a slight irritation shone through her calm, as if having her wrist broken were just a minor inconvenience. Nor did she hesitate, her right hand letting go of the knife as her left hand darted in to catch it—Thom said that he thought Mat had the fastest hands he had ever seen, but Mat thought this blasted maid would leave him in the water any day of the week—she struck in the same move, and the knife went deep, even though he saw what she was doing, and twisted aside.

Grunting, his face twisting in pain, he did the only thing he could. He punched her square in the face. She fell hard, her head slamming against the wall with a sickening crack, and did not move as he stood, swaying over her, one hand grasping the hilt of the knife that was still in him. Not a fatal wound that, but a bad one. Almost, he could wish it had been. Oh Light, she wasn’t moving. She was not moving.

Kneeling—half falling, in truth, and grunting at the red hot fire the knife sent through him—he felt for a pulse and found nothing.

“The Light damn you, Selucia.” He muttered. The Light damn me.

Soon, he would have to get up to find Tuon and stop this madness with the Tower, and tell her what had happened to Selucia, but for the moment he slumped by her side, paying respect. She had been insane, and would have killed him if he hadn’t stopped her, but still, she was owed that much.

Predicted Winner: Mat

You have until Saturday, January 28th at 9:00 p.m. PST to vote.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 Nyanna al'Meara

Nyanna al'Meara

Yes, this is dork.

• Members
  • 35,724 posts
  • Location:Traversing the galaxy for intergalactic travels to Pigfarts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

Whoa, that actually had me thinking it's in the book O.O

Anyway, Mat ftw...I mean, his luck is enough anyway, even if he didn't have the ashandarei.

Mat: Has the experience of a great many adventurers, soldiers, and other skilled individuals.

This.

And he has killed women before, when it comes to the crunch.

Posted Image

ε> ~ Bonded to BB ~ Muer'Shen to Heart ~ Bonded to Arez ~ Ayla's Twinneh ~ <3

#3 master

master
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

if it was mat versus tuon I'd say tuon. But to be truthful I have no bloody idea.

#4 Master Ablar

Master Ablar
  • DM - Staff
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

It's only been a few hours and it's already a slaughter. I suppose it was to be expected though.

I think one of the reasons the Black Tower has become so popular in fandom isn't just that you get to dress in black and set fires with your mind, it's the sense of struggle the Asha'man have. To save the world, they have to embrace the part of themselves that's terrible and destructive. They risk madness to learn how to channel. It's a tremendous sacrifice they make.

#5 Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Wow, very lopsided early voting... though I do agree. I still think Selucia would put up a heck of a fight, though.

#6 Bougher

Bougher
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

if it was mat versus tuon I'd say tuon. But to be truthful I have no bloody idea.

but that only cause he wouldnt be able to bring him self to kill her even to save himself
<boughya>

#7 mark

mark
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

mat would win... probably by accident

Posted Image

Brilliantly given the complex nickname of "Sam" by Aiel Heart

#8 Suttree

Suttree
  • Members
  • 9,749 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

Ace write up Luckers...it was actually nice to have Mat back again. It's a shame we get him so inconsistently post RJ. Cheers to the good old days.

Edited by Suttree, 22 January 2012 - 11:08 PM.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge, exists without my consent" - Judge Holden

#9 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

Lolz I wrote this in an hour at midnight after 48 hours with no sleep. It's bloody rough.

Still, thanks for the compliment. :)

Follow Me On Twitter: or check out my WoT FAQ and Theories

------

Terez: The word 'douche' appears twice in the database. Both times it's you

Luckers: I'm nothing if not a creature of habit.

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#10 kraefzke

kraefzke
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:47 AM

Whoa, that actually had me thinking it's in the book O.O

Me too (almost)! Greatly written, Luckers!

#11 Leyrann

Leyrann

Sir Ley

• Members
  • 13,102 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:55 AM

Two things are not mentioned:

1. Mat's luck
2. If I am not very mistaken, Mat has seen Selucia fighting. I mean, how do we know about it otherwise?

I like friendly games, and I suppose everyone does. So, I would like to ask everyone playing mafia, which I want to be a fun, friendly game too, to be nice, and to just not be generally unhelpful, or doing something like refusing to answer an honest question that in no way harms your chances of survival. And too, an important reason I'm writing this despite earlier reactions about similar things, is that I don't want to get mad, but if I feel like either someone is mad at me for no reason, or someone is irritating me while he knows it, I just can't help it, no matter how much I want.

#12 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:38 AM

Two things are not mentioned:

1. Mat's luck
2. If I am not very mistaken, Mat has seen Selucia fighting. I mean, how do we know about it otherwise?

1. I opted not to mention Mat's luck. Utilizing it to answer a fight covered in a thousand words seemed cheap and way too easy.

2. Nah. The closest Mat came to being aware of Selucia's ability was during Knife of Dreams when darkfriends attack Mat, Tuon, Selucia and Thom after the scene at the 'Hell'. During that scene Mat runs at the darkfriends in front of him, kills most, with Tuon killing the last. He turns on her, angry that she didn't run, and only then sees that others had attacked from behind, all of whom are now dead. He concludes Thom dealt with those ones, though he wonders if Tuon had fought there too, but he never considers Selucia, and it is indeed made very clear that he never realised the role that she played.

As for how we know, it was stated directly by Tuon in a PoV that Selucia was secretly her shadow bodyguard. In addition Brandon, in one of his blunt 'Rand must be the bestest at everything' moments had Rand figure out Selucia was a bodyguard with nothing more than a glance during tGS.

Follow Me On Twitter: or check out my WoT FAQ and Theories

------

Terez: The word 'douche' appears twice in the database. Both times it's you

Luckers: I'm nothing if not a creature of habit.

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#13 Dream

Dream
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

Excellent write-up, Luckers. I'm glad that luck wasn't explicitly mentioned in it. Though it should probably be mentioned as a special (but he has so many).

Well didn’t that just kick the goat?

LOL.

One thing that I would change, Mat ends it with a headbutt rather than a punch.

Edit:
Maybe as an add to the last paragraph.

If only he could stop that nagging thought that kept surfacing. Nynaeuve was right. I really should use my head more often.

Edited by Dream, 23 January 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#14 g o i

g o i
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

that is quite the saluter(sorry can't spell)
http://dragcave.net/user/g_o_i
please help my dragons in the link above(if you want)
http://andrew-smith.mybrute.com
link above is for my brute since I found it fun
if you can't clean the crime scene then obliterate it
computer: Warning. Warning. Firearms detected.
Computer: Number of weapons found...
Computer: ...
Computer: many

#15 Ledinna Sedai

Ledinna Sedai

Happy to be back ;)

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

At first I thought Selucia would take it, as Mat doesn't like killing women. But to think of Mat's luck... Posted Image
Posted Image
Red's Wolf pup | WT White Accepted!!, House Mosvani | Taardad Clan Algai'd'siswai
Ogier | SG Darkfriend | ACW Guild member | Awesome sigs by Ayla, Lessa and Kuka :D

#16 Cheetaiean

Cheetaiean
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Mat would win. Not only does he have experience, and with that, skill ( as well as an inbred skill of using a staff) Mat also has insane luck, as shown when he threw the knife behind him and killed a rabbit. luck combined with his experience and skill would make him win...

This could've actually happened in the book and it's heightening my anticipation for the last book (aMOL)

Edited by Cheetaiean, 23 January 2012 - 07:49 PM.

Ogier of Stedding Algonquin 

#17 mark

mark
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

lets think... back before mat got his ashendarai... he faced off against galad and gawyn... knocking both out cold before they could even touch him... he was clearly one of the best fighter in the books... THEN he gets his ashendarai, unweaving medalion, and the battle memories from his past lives...

not to mention his luck... based on his luck, he took out several high lords of tear without trying(or by accident) ... hit rabbits, flying targets, etc without looking(or/and by accident)

to my mind, he's the most dangerous man out there... capable of beating rand and lan... and selucia, wouldnt stand a chance if she provoked his ire...

Posted Image

Brilliantly given the complex nickname of "Sam" by Aiel Heart

#18 Rachel Rahien

Rachel Rahien
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

Hmm I wonder who will win :D

Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar...

Posted Image

...Fear of death holds not my heart.

#19 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 16,054 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

Mat would take Selucia down in a short fight. The moment he realized her abilities and it was a fight for his life he would step up his efforts and take her down. He might have tried to just incapacitate her instead of actually killing tho, which seems to be how Luckers wrote it up.

turinrotation27march_zps1febe5b3.gif

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#20 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

1,000,000,000/1,000,000,000 times, Mat.

He will knock her out. Dimwitted ignorant Seanchan primitive is fortunate that Lord Mat has made an oath against killing huuuuman females.