Photo

Week 2: Padan Fain vs. Shaidar Haran

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 2: Padan Fain vs. Shaidar Haran (238 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Padan Fain (149 votes [62.61%])

Percentage of vote: 62.61%

2. Shaidar Haran (89 votes [37.39%])

Percentage of vote: 37.39%

Vote

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Posted Image

Write-up by: Verbal32

The Contestants

Padan Fain
Race: human(ish)
Weapon: dagger from Shadar Logoth
Special: merged with Mordeth

Shaidar Haran
Race: Myrddraal
Weapon: being a Fade
Special: Power to nullify channelers

The Breakdown

Advantages
Fain: power gained from both the Shadow and Mordeth
Shaidar Haran: he’s a Fade!

Disadvantages
Fain: insane, inability to think logically
Shaidar Haran: cannot stay away from Shayol Ghul too long

How we think the fight will go:

The two…..beings…..stared at one another from across the field. Neither seemed to move at all.

“What are you doing here, Fade?” spat Padan Fain. “I have work to do. Rand al’Thor must die, and I must be the one to kill him. Now get out of my way – you don’t scare me.”

The Myrddraal didn’t move. He continued to stare at Fain, who noted a few odd things about this particular Fade. One was that it appeared to be taller than most Fades Fain had seen, and also killed. Also, this Fade didn’t appear to be holding a weapon! What nonsense was this! Fain was disgusted, and this was already a waste of time. He could feel al’Thor moving away from him.

“You have become a difficult person to control, Padan Fain” grated the too tall Myrddraal. “You may call me Shaidar Haran, and address me as you would address the Great Lord.”

“I have no allegiance to you or your master! The only authority I know is my own!” With that, Fain drew his wicked dagger. The dagger contained a ruby in the hilt that sparkled in the afternoon sun. This dagger completed him, and it was a great source of danger to all it touched. It wasn’t his only weapon, though, but Fain did not feel anything else necessary for a Fade that happened to stand taller than others. And had a name. It would die like all the others.

“Die!” Fain lunged for Shaidar Haran, who melted away from the swipe of the dagger with an undulating swiftness that left Fain perplexed. How would he reach this Fade to wound it? As a thought came to him, he smiled. This would be fun.

Shaidar Haran moved towards Fain with a grace that belied his massive size. He was focused on the man’s death, when a mist began to rise from nowhere. It enveloped the entire field in moments, and Shaidar Haran could see shapes begin to materialize within the mist. The shapes seemed to group together and began to drift towards Shaidar Haran. The Hand of the Dark paused and considered the figures. Suddenly, a black fire burst into existence from the outside of the mist, and spun inwards toward Shaidar Haran. As the black fire touched the mist, it dissipated. Soon, the field was empty again except for the two combatants.

“Nice trick, but you can’t stop me!” Spittle flew from Fain’s mouth as he snarled and lunged yet again for Shaidar Haran. As before, the Myrddraal spun away to avoid the attack. Unlike before, though, Fain noted that the movement of Shaidar Haran was noticeably slower than before. I could use this, mused Fain as he continued to slash at the Fade with his dagger. Let him tire, and then I’ll end this, he thought.

Shaidar Haran was feeling weaker. He had been away from Shayol Ghul for too long, and his power was already starting to drain. This fight needed to end quickly so that he could recuperate in Shayol Ghul. Not for the first time, Shaidar Haran wished for a way to sever that tie with Shayol Ghul. But first the matter at hand needed attention. Unfortuntately, this peddler turned Friend of the Dark turned more did not channel saidin or saidar. That would be easy for Shaidar Haran, and none of his usual abilities to spark fear seemed to work. This man was considerably more dangerous than previously thought. It was right to end his existence – the Great Lord needed to focus on the coming confrontation.

In the blink of an eye, the defensive maneuvers of Shaidar Haran became an attack. He easily snuck inside of the dagger swipe from Fain and snapped his arm. At the touch, a weird sensation coursed through Shaidar Haran. This man WAS powerful, and for the first time, Shaidar Haran felt in danger. With his diminished ability, he was at risk.

Fain recoiled and snarled at Shaidar Haran, but continued to slash with the dagger by simply switching hands. Shaidar Haran attacked again and disarmed Fain by slapping the dagger away. The dagger cut Shaidar Haran slightly, and Fain watched with a wicked grin as Shaidar Haran looked down at his hand. The look on Fain’s face went from smug to concerned as Shaidar Haran disregarded the cut, and continued towards Fain.

“Your weapon is gone, and you have no ability to channel. This fight is over, and you will now know the Great Lord’s displeasure. “ The black fire appeared again to bind Fain in place. Shaidar Haran walked towards Fain and noted that the smug look was back on his face. As Shaidar Haran began to speak again, multiple tendrils of black fog emerged from Fain’s body and swarmed the Myrddraal’s body. Mashadar. Shaidar Haran was aware of this entity, but did not expect it to be corralled by this man and used as a weapon. Intense pain seared through the Myrddraal, and the last coherent thought it had was that the roof of the tunnel in Shayol Ghul would have to be lowered to annoy the Chosen now that he was gone.

The binds immediately disappeared, and Padan Fain bent to retrieve the dagger. His dagger. His power was unparalleled, and the hunt was soon to be at an end. He sensed his prey to the south. “You will die soon, Rand al’Thor.”

Predicted Winner: Padan Fain

You have until Saturday, January 28th at 9:00 p.m. PST to vote.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 Corvinus

Corvinus
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

This may actually happen. And if it does, I hope they both lose. :baalzamon:

But for this one, I went with Fain.

#3 ghol04

ghol04
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster because this is way too fun to pass up.

I voted Fain before I read the possible breakdown. Great job with the write up, this is the first one from week 2 that I read because it was the most interesting match up in my opinion since we don't know most of what these two are capable of. I just have a gut feeling that by the end of aMoL, Fain will have convinced us all that Shaidar Haran isn't in his league. Fain is a zombie-making, fade murderer! And being the hand of the Dark One doesn't make someone inherently awsome, look at how well his other 13 most favored followers have done in the third age

#4 Amberfly

Amberfly
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

I have to say, this match-up is one that I would really love to see played out in the books. I think these two are the most evenly matched of this week's fights. Even after reading this convincing scenario I'm not sure who I'd pick to win.

#5 master

master
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

I have no idea.

#6 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Me either. :-)

Follow Me On Twitter: or check out my WoT FAQ and Theories

------

Terez: The word 'douche' appears twice in the database. Both times it's you

Luckers: I'm nothing if not a creature of habit.

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#7 Datakim

Datakim
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

I don't think Fain has any unique powers like that which could be used against SH. Not to mention that the power of Mordeth is ultimately weak compared to the power of DO, and we know that SH is a shadowy form of the DO. It took the entirety of the city of Shadar Logoth and all the energy within just to destroy the taint on saidin, which the DO created in a single instant during the sealing, and which was never suggested to have weakened the DO. While Shadar Logoth is nasty by human standards, it is nothing compared to the Dark One. There is also the fact that I believe Fain still contains some residues of the DO's influence from when he was turned into the "hound" for the DO to find Rand. This might give SH some measure of power over Fain.

If Fain is going to win, its going to be by stabbing SH with the dagger, though it is possible that being just a last remant of Shadar Logoth, even the dagger will be too weak to destroy SH. We know that when the two evils come into conflict, they seek to destroy each other, and given what we have seen and what RJ said about Shaidar Haran, I suspect the energy in him is easily capable of overcoming Fain and his dagger. The stronger and more potent evil will win.

And while we don't know much about SH's powers, if we assume that he can channel TP in some form (quite reasonable considering his ability to destroy things with black fire and create black globes to light up rooms and so on), then there would not even be a struggle. Fain would die instantly. And as the icing on the cake, SH is a myrddraal which means he has the ability to teleport via shadows. This could easily allow him to ambush Fain, which he could very well do considering that the shadow (and by extension SH too) must know by now about Fains connection to Shadar Logoth and the potential danger there.

#8 Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

This one is really, really close, but I have to give the nod to Fain, by the edge of a dagger. Literally :p

#9 narg75

narg75
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

This one is close. Would be great to see. I went with Fain because he has captured/killed fades even with out the dagger (TGH).

#10 Lenlo

Lenlo

Leno

• Members
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Have to agree, this is the closest match of the week. Im not sure but... I would have to go with Padan Fain. Also, it would be a shame, to me anyway, to see him beat when he is *this* close to finishing the series. After all, hes been in every book.

2D94cM2.gif

Mafia Games Played

Spoiler

#11 kraefzke

kraefzke
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:26 AM

I would love to see this in the book, because I have no idea how the strange abilities of each of those characters would play out against the other. For now, the write-up was too beautiful not to vote Fain.

#12 Leyrann

Leyrann

Sir Ley

• Members
  • 13,102 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

I go for SH.

I like friendly games, and I suppose everyone does. So, I would like to ask everyone playing mafia, which I want to be a fun, friendly game too, to be nice, and to just not be generally unhelpful, or doing something like refusing to answer an honest question that in no way harms your chances of survival. And too, an important reason I'm writing this despite earlier reactions about similar things, is that I don't want to get mad, but if I feel like either someone is mad at me for no reason, or someone is irritating me while he knows it, I just can't help it, no matter how much I want.

#13 gwenifer

gwenifer

piccolina

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

Have no idea, don't know what would SH do. But yes, this is the closest match and a very interesting one.

I just hope that aMoL will be much more satisfying than "Merlin" finale...

#14 Dream

Dream
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

I don't see why Shadar Haran wouldn't just balefire everything. There's nothing Fain can do about that.

#15 Didgya

Didgya

The Didgyaist

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Good matchup - but Fain is a proven Fade killer, even though it would be close.
Didgya is what I say!
(Did-Ja is how you say it)
Say it and you will see!
Follow me @Didgya

#16 Ledinna Sedai

Ledinna Sedai

Happy to be back ;)

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

This is an interesting one. Have to say, that I guess Fain. Insanity could turn out to be an advantage too.

Edited by Ledinna Sedai, 23 January 2012 - 10:04 AM.

Posted Image
Red's Wolf pup | WT White Accepted!!, House Mosvani | Taardad Clan Algai'd'siswai
Ogier | SG Darkfriend | ACW Guild member | Awesome sigs by Ayla, Lessa and Kuka :D

#17 78WARLOCK

78WARLOCK
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

Fain, but only by mere chance. Remember he only needs to cut someone, and not very badly, with the daggar to kill someone.The evil that is Shadar Logoth is something even the Dark One fears.
Maybe Fain and the daggar will get sealed in the bore and the evil will consume one another ???
"Tia avende alantin"

#18 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 16,024 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:06 AM

I think that Shaidar Haran would win in most situations. This scenario where he was already weakened by being away from Shayol Ghul and needed a "recharge" is the only way I see Padan Fain being in the fight. I think it would have been best in story line for them to kill each other. The dagger goes into his heart while SH snaps Fain's neck and both fall together.

turinrotation27march_zps1febe5b3.gif

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#19 Nightstrike

Nightstrike
  • Members
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:29 AM

Really difficult to know for sure who should win since we don't know what their powers and weaknesses might be (before or in the last book). Shaidar Haran isn't in any way equal to the DO. It has some of the DO's personality traits, and it also has some powers beyond what other fades have. I guess Fain+Dagger might be able to kill Shaidar Haran if the circumstances are just right. That's only a guess, of course. The Wheel might pull threads to allow this to happen. So I voted on Fain.

(Fain might have to sneak up on SH for this to work? Maybe that shouldn't be qualified as a true "fight", so maybe I should have voted differently? Ah, well, I won't change my vote.)

Edited by Nightstrike, 24 January 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#20 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

RJ said he is a Shadow of the DO. While much weaker version, he has the TP, and other abilities (changing size, cool armor).

As the series continued, I suspect that SH has lost his weakness away from SG. However, Fain has gained uber powers. So I think they will nullify each other (to bring balance to the Force young Padawan, all must die).