Photo

Week 2: Lan vs. Thom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 2: Lan vs. Thom (247 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Lan (225 votes [91.09%])

Percentage of vote: 91.09%

2. Thom (22 votes [8.91%])

Percentage of vote: 8.91%

Vote

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Posted Image

Write-up by: Verbal32

The Contestants

Al’Lan Mandragoran
Race: human
Weapon: blade forged with the One Power
Special: none

Thom Merrilin
Race: human
Weapon: knives forged with the One Power
Special: tricks of a gleeman

The Breakdown

Advantages
Lan: a BAMF blademaster will an iron will and unmatched ability
Thom: an old guy with a bum leg and some knives

Disadvantages
Lan: his love for Nynaeve could make him lose focus
Thom: he’s not Lan

How we think the fight will go:

“I don’t want to do this, Merrilin. I know what is between you and Moiraine Sedai, and for this I am sorry. But I must do what is needed, and that unfortunately requires you to die.”

“Trust me, Lan, I don’t want you to do this either. Perhaps we can talk about it. There must be another way.” With that, Thom Merrilin started walking casually towards his opponent, Lan Mandragoran. Thom knew he was grossly outmatched. He hadn’t survived this long without the wisdom to know when he’s in trouble. He needed to get close enough for his knives. Throwing them would have no chance – Lan was too quick and skilled. It must be close.

“That’s enough, Thom. I’m not going to let my guard down so you can play Daes Dae’mar and slit my throat. Your politics and sly maneuvering will not suit this fight.”

Lan drew his sword, forged with the One Power. It did not contain the mark of a blademaster – a heron. But only a fool thought of Lan Mandragoran of anything less than the most skilled blademaster alive. Thom watched Lan draw expertly and settle into a battle stance, on the balls of his feet. This was not going as planned, Thom thought. A fight was imminent, and there was no outside distraction he could use. Perhaps surprise would work.

Thom burst into action, throwing several knives that seems to appear on his person and fly through the air with pinpoint accuracy. Lan sidestepped some and batted away others with the flat of his sword. He looked thoughtful as Thom charged him, and immediately sprang into action. The Boar Rushes Down the Mountain became Cat Dances on the Wall as Thom flicked two more knives into his hands and slashed them both at Lan’s torso.

“You are very quick,” panted Thom. He continued to slash at Lan in an effort to reach him, but Lan would deftly parry and counterattack with his sword. It was all Thom could do to not be killed in one stroke. “I’ve got some tricks, though.”

Blue and red balls appeared out of nowhere and rained down on the two men. For a fraction of a second, Lan glanced at the balls, and Thom used this to score a slash on Lan’s off arm. Lan simply grunted and rebalanced himself. Another man would have shouted out, but the grunt was all that came from Lan.

“Well done, Merrilin,” Lan calmly stated. And then he truly attacked. The Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose ended up knocking a knife from Thom’s hand, and Lizard in the Thornbush ended with Lan on one knee and Thom with one hand. As Thom’s face paled, his head dropped a little, and Lan ended it with Plucking the Low-Hanging Apple. Thom’s head dropped from his shoulders and his body hit the ground. Lan slowly bent over to whisper above Thom’s body.

“Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather.”

Predicted Winner: Lan

You have until Saturday, January 28th at 9:00 p.m. PST to vote.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 Nyanna al'Meara

Nyanna al'Meara

Yes, this is dork.

• Members
  • 36,164 posts
  • Location:Traversing the galaxy for intergalactic travels to Pigfarts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Lan.

rotation.gif

ε> ~ Bonded to BB ~ Muer'Shen to Heart ~ Bonded to Arez ~ Ayla's Twinneh ~ <3

#3 Corvinus

Corvinus
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

Definitely Lan. This one is not even close.

#4 Master Ablar

Master Ablar
  • DM - Staff
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Wouldn't Lan's "Special" be that he is a Warder? I mean, that's pretty special...

I think one of the reasons the Black Tower has become so popular in fandom isn't just that you get to dress in black and set fires with your mind, it's the sense of struggle the Asha'man have. To save the world, they have to embrace the part of themselves that's terrible and destructive. They risk madness to learn how to channel. It's a tremendous sacrifice they make.

#5 Loial son of Arent

Loial son of Arent
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thom would win this one. While Lan is Definitely the better fighter he's no match for a knive at five paces.

#6 Corvinus

Corvinus
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thom would win this one. While Lan is Definitely the better fighter he's no match for a knive at five paces.

Lan also knows how to use a bow (from horseback). And yes Lan should have had the Warder qualities as his special.

#7 Loial son of Arent

Loial son of Arent
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

Lan also knows how to use a bow (from horseback). And yes Lan should have had the Warder qualities as his special.

True but Lans honor would keep him from killing Thom from a distance, and when it's all said and done Thom cares more about living than about how he wins.

#8 master

master
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

hahahahahahaah. is there even an argument. Lan.

#9 Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Awesome as Thom is, this one is almost laughable - he's completely and totally outclassed by Lan.

#10 Bougher

Bougher
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

there was only one person that could have match lan with a sword and now he only has one hand
<boughya>

#11 Ishmael Forsaken

Ishmael Forsaken

Silly Sausage

• Banned
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

To my mind, if we're talking a strictly physical fight, you could insert any characters name from the WoT universe in the Lan vs. ?? title and Lan is the victor. Unless that characters name is Mat Cauthon. Lan wins hands down against absolutely anyone other than Mat. Period. Mat is the best physical warrior in Randland, with Lan second. And I doubt Thom lasts anywhere near as long as he did in the write-up, but the write-ups in all of these threads are nearly as good as the books themselves. Kudos to all the authors.

EmpyMafia_zpse1720b82.jpg

Yellow Warder to Luciena ** Brother to WildTaltos

#12 Verbal32

Verbal32

Actually Barmacral

• Administrators
  • 258,788 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Totally. I had it in my head, but it didn't translate to my fingers when typing. But yes, the Warder bond would be Lan's "special".

Not like he'd need it, though. This was difficult to write......a true fight would have lasted seconds. ;-)

jc-1.jpg

#13 kraefzke

kraefzke
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

Yeah, I agree. Lan would win this without Thom standing even the slightest chance. Maybe if Lan's arms were both bound behind his back? Yes, that would make the fight a little more balanced.

I will, however, admit that it is very har for me not to vote for Thom out of sympathy....I won't though.

#14 ZippoSeiCair

ZippoSeiCair
  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

I think ya'll are forgetting Thom's talents. Not only is he good at throwing knives but he is a master of misdirection. While Lan may have had many fighters use dirty tricks against him, Thom has written the book on tricks. I think Thom would have Lan unable to decide which side any attack will come from, and while old and limping, he's still quick, agile, and a wily old bastard. Don't put expertise with a sword over cunning and a sharp mind.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 gwenifer

gwenifer

piccolina

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:02 AM

Let's be honest: Lan and Mat are destined to face each other in the final showdown. Otherwise both matches, Lan vs Thom and Mat vs Selucia, are just not fair.

I just hope that aMoL will be much more satisfying than "Merlin" finale...

#16 Leyrann

Leyrann

Sir Ley

• Members
  • 13,117 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:10 AM

there was only one person that could have match lan with a sword and now he only has one hand

Wrong. Do you remember Sleete (TGS)? He had beaten Lan in two of seven training fights. Gawain could defeat Sleete while Sleete had help of someone else. I'd say Gawain is at least equal to Lan.

I like friendly games, and I suppose everyone does. So, I would like to ask everyone playing mafia, which I want to be a fun, friendly game too, to be nice, and to just not be generally unhelpful, or doing something like refusing to answer an honest question that in no way harms your chances of survival. And too, an important reason I'm writing this despite earlier reactions about similar things, is that I don't want to get mad, but if I feel like either someone is mad at me for no reason, or someone is irritating me while he knows it, I just can't help it, no matter how much I want.

#17 sleepinghour

sleepinghour
  • Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:14 AM

Wrong. Do you remember Sleete (TGS)? He had beaten Lan in two of seven training fights. Gawain could defeat Sleete while Sleete had help of someone else. I'd say Gawain is at least equal to Lan.

Brandon has already said the order is Lan > Galad > Gawyn. So it's not even up for debate.

#18 Corvinus

Corvinus
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:52 AM

Brandon has already said the order is Lan > Galad > Gawyn. So it's not even up for debate.

And he also said Rand before he lost his hand was at about Gawyn's level.

#19 Dream

Dream
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

The only reason Thom survived a fight with a Fade was because it lost interest in him...

#20 g o i

g o i
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

a BAMF blademaster will an iron will and unmatched ability

I think this is all you need to describe lan since he beats everone in a sword fight but mat because mat is the lukeasit man allive

almost as bad as how much mat is winning by

Thom: he’s not Lan

this is true almost will go for thom for sauch a sad fight but lan for the win

p.s any bad spealling I'm sorry
http://dragcave.net/user/g_o_i
please help my dragons in the link above(if you want)
http://andrew-smith.mybrute.com
link above is for my brute since I found it fun
if you can't clean the crime scene then obliterate it
computer: Warning. Warning. Firearms detected.
Computer: Number of weapons found...
Computer: ...
Computer: many