Continued Discussion of Week 1 Matches

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

Since the fight threads need to be locked in order to lock the polls, but I'm sure people still want to discuss the fights, I'll have a thread like this each week after the polls close.

You may continue your discussions of all the Week 1 fights in this thread. Remember, those fights included:

Moiraine vs. Nynaeve
Cadsuane vs. Lanfear
Moridin vs. Aviendha
Logain vs. Taim

(Winners are bolded.)

Have fun!
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 cosmicpanda

cosmicpanda

cosmicbear

• Members
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Those winners suck. :mad:

He's like ... Ceiling Panda?

#3 Verbal32

Verbal32

Actually Barmacral

• Administrators
  • 259,415 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:13 AM

Those winners suck. :mad:

Your face!

jc-1.jpg

#4 avernite

avernite
  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

I only see Nynaeve or Moridin winning.

Moridin for sheer power, Nynaeve for sheer refusal to give up (see also how she caught Moghedien). Logain has less power than Moridin, but has never shown quite the skill and tricks to overcome it, and Lanfear is just mentally deficient (AKA too arrogant. Moridin also suffers, but is less arrogant and more powerful than Lanfear).

#5 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

Logain is only very slightly weaker than Moridin, and Lanfear is also very close to him in strength.

Follow Me On Twitter: or check out my WoT FAQ and Theories

------

Terez: The word 'douche' appears twice in the database. Both times it's you

Luckers: I'm nothing if not a creature of habit.

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#6 XXX47

XXX47
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

Logain is only very slightly weaker than Moridin, and Lanfear is also very close to him in strength.

Yes..but Logain has very little AoL skills...and we are assuming the Taim has those skills.

That match up result is the only one I disagree.

Edited by XXX47, 22 January 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#7 damandred

damandred
  • Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

Each character I voted for won.
1-0 for common sense.

#8 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

Each character I voted for won.
1-0 for common sense.

Polls consistantly do tend to follow that trend. The mathematics of what we define as 'common' demands it.

------

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#9 Corvinus

Corvinus
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

Yes..but Logain has very little AoL skills...and we are assuming the Taim has those skills.

Tell that to the Forsaken who went up against Rand.

#10 Corvinus

Corvinus
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

Also, when does the next round begin?

#11 RayB

RayB
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

What happens if we find out Taim is Moridin? Does he have to fight himself??
Posted Image

#12 Wolf Bro

Wolf Bro
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

It all makes sense, though Cadsuane should have beat Lanfear just out of the facts that she:
a) is technically older because Lanfear was only 200 when put into stasis (nothing happens in stasis so the next 2800 years did nothing to improve)
b) has considerable amount of knowledge of fighting men who have the one power, so fighting women should be easier (able to see weaves)
c) is not as strong as Nynaeve, but is still quite powerful
d) and it's most likely that in a fight she would not allow emotion to overcome her, she could say a few things about Lews Therin or Rand, then Lanfear would become too mad to think clearly
Lets hope for a Yahtzee (Mat)

#13 New Ashaman

New Ashaman
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

Totally agree (except Moiraine should have won). Also Moiraine stopped Lanfear from capturing Rand While Lanfear had an angreal so obviously Cadsuane should have no trouble stopping her.

#14 XXX47

XXX47
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

Tell that to the Forsaken who went up against Rand.

I don't think Logan has the voice of the greatest OP user of all time in his head telling him what to do at opportune times like Rand.

#15 XXX47

XXX47
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Totally agree (except Moiraine should have won). Also Moiraine stopped Lanfear from capturing Rand While Lanfear had an angreal so obviously Cadsuane should have no trouble stopping her.

As Master Albar nicely out it...is Cads allowed to jump on Lanfear from behind when she is fighting Rand face to face?..cos that is the way Moraine fought against Lanfear.

#16 Nightstrike

Nightstrike
  • Members
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

It all makes sense, though Cadsuane should have beat Lanfear just out of the facts that she:
a) is technically older because Lanfear was only 200 when put into stasis (nothing happens in stasis so the next 2800 years did nothing to improve)

Lanfear had knowledge from AoL - including warfare against the forces of the Light (and other Forsaken).

b) has considerable amount of knowledge of fighting men who have the one power, so fighting women should be easier (able to see weaves)

Cadsuane doesn't have too much experience fighting other women, but Lanfear has experience fighting both women and men. Cadsuane caught men who were wilders, whilst Lanfear has experience killing both men and women with training/experience. It's unlikely the men that Cadsuane caught were top-notch strength, since that's very rare, and also since they had (most likely) not yet reached their full potential. Also, I think she had help by being in circles with other women (at least some of the times). Logain was caught by a circle, I believe. He probably had some strength to gain too.

Cadsuane isn't even as strong as Egwene, Egwene is "strong enough to overcome both Melaine and Amys together", Nynaeve is much stronger than Egwene, and Lanfear is stronger than Nynaeve. Also, Alivia had "help" against Cyndane, but that didn't do her much good.

d) and it's most likely that in a fight she would not allow emotion to overcome her, she could say a few things about Lews Therin or Rand, then Lanfear would become too mad to think clearly

You're assuming she would have time to say anything, whilst fighting Lanfear?

Edited by Nightstrike, 22 January 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#17 Nyanna al'Meara

Nyanna al'Meara

Yes, this is dork.

• Members
  • 36,171 posts
  • Location:Traversing the galaxy for intergalactic travels to Pigfarts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Nynaeve for sheer refusal to give up

Yep^^

Nyn is just too stubborn to be able to even think of losing. Also, she's bound to explode in a fit of jealousy and saidar once Moiraine mentions Lan.

P.s. AMAZING write-ups!!! Wooooow.

rotation.gif

ε> ~ Bonded to BB ~ Muer'Shen to Heart ~ Bonded to Arez ~ Ayla's Twinneh ~ <3

#18 Master Ablar

Master Ablar
  • DM - Staff
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Lanfear was 200 when LTT sealed away the DO? When was that stated?

Lanfear undoubtebly has experience fighting both men and women as well, and those she fought would have been far more knowledgable than those Cadsuane has fought.

Lanfear is stronger than Nyneave. And between Cadsuane and Nyneave you have Egwene, Elayne, and Aviendha.

A angry Lanfear is not necessarily better. It might be, but Asmodean, Moiraine, Egwene, Aviendha, Lan and Rand probably all dissagree based on their experiences.

I think what speaks most strongly in favor of Lanfear is the simple fact that she is, not only alive, but among the 6 highest ranked Forsaken. RJ said these Forsaken were skilled at survival both politically and physically. Cadsuane certainly has a chance, and seeing how smart she is, she'll make it a good one, but if I had to bet on it, I would definitely chose Lanfear.

Edited by Master Ablar, 22 January 2012 - 04:03 PM.

I think one of the reasons the Black Tower has become so popular in fandom isn't just that you get to dress in black and set fires with your mind, it's the sense of struggle the Asha'man have. To save the world, they have to embrace the part of themselves that's terrible and destructive. They risk madness to learn how to channel. It's a tremendous sacrifice they make.

#19 kraefzke

kraefzke
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

Will someone do new write-ups? At least for the matches that did not turn out as written-up in advance? Yes I know, realistically it would be something like:

Moridin saw the girl from far away, he drew on the True Power and wove a Shield, bound her and then relied on Balefire.

There must be, however, a way to make it more exciting.

Btw, agree on all outcomings, though I voted for Caddy....but I could see that match going both ways from the beginning.

#20 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

Will someone do new write-ups?

Nah. Our write ups are predicted results.

------

------