Photo

Work? School? Both? What do you do during the week?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:21 AM

I am a social worker with a mental health background. Currently I am managing a caseload of developmentally disabled (mostly young) people, many of whom have a diagnosis of mental illness as well. The rest are autistic. I also am liaison to several of our homes, most are for severe behavioral/mental health issues, one for individuals with medical needs who require nursing care.

What are you doing?

Posted Image

#2 U4ea

U4ea

Elegant Eldest

• DM - Staff
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

I am an elementary science teacher. I am also taking classes to get an endorsement added to my certificate. So, I work at a school... Does that count as both?

image11111.jpg
Bonded to Kynwric Raij: "Lor is an act of God." <-- you've been warned
RP: White Tower ADLGreen Ajah Head/Warders RGL-Tower Guard/Freelander/Aiel Wise One Social: Eldest of the Kin/ Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah

#3 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Yes, it counts and staying home with your kids counts as work too! I've done it.

Posted Image

#4 U4ea

U4ea

Elegant Eldest

• DM - Staff
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

I wish I could stay with mine!

image11111.jpg
RP: White Tower ADLGreen Ajah Head/Warders RGL-Tower Guard/Freelander/Aiel Wise One Social: Eldest of the Kin/ Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah

#5 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

I wish I could stay with mine!

I know. I couldn't with my first and I had to with my second.

Posted Image

#6 Kathleen

Kathleen

ACW GL, FL ADL, WT RP RGL

• DM - Staff
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:50 AM

I stay home with my kids. I was gonna say I do neither but you're right, staying home with them is a job! It pays worse than a teacher (which is pretty bad when you figure out the hourly pay for a teacher) and it has longer hours.

But I do love it. <.< most of the time..

No, I do love it, and I know it won't be forever so I'm enjoying it while I can. I had my first while I was doing college but between the fact that I hated my course and I had a lot of stress in the pregnancy I didn't finish the course. The doctor all but said its the baby or the course <.< so baby it was.

Now with the oldest in school and the youngest with one more year till he's in school I'm starting to look into what I want to do then. If we can find the money for it I'd like to take a pharmacy technician course. To go for a full out Pharmacist course it would mean moving out of province and going to uni for years and years, which I can't do, but this other course is a one year course that would get me into that world which I would love.

But for now, I spend my day's cleaning, cooking and potty training and trying to find a way to love it all. Its pretty easy when they smile at me though :)

rotationAug2014_zpse3051918.gif

ACW Tuathan'an Camp GL ~ Freelanders ADL ~ White Tower RP RGL

SG Bonded to Karasayl ~ Souvra Bonded to Lily, Myst, MillsRashi & HalliaRP Bonded to Elessar

#7 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

I stay home with my kids. I was gonna say I do neither but you're right, staying home with them is a job! It pays worse than a teacher (which is pretty bad when you figure out the hourly pay for a teacher) and it has longer hours.

But I do love it. <.< most of the time..

No, I do love it, and I know it won't be forever so I'm enjoying it while I can. I had my first while I was doing college but between the fact that I hated my course and I had a lot of stress in the pregnancy I didn't finish the course. The doctor all but said its the baby or the course <.< so baby it was.

Now with the oldest in school and the youngest with one more year till he's in school I'm starting to look into what I want to do then. If we can find the money for it I'd like to take a pharmacy technician course. To go for a full out Pharmacist course it would mean moving out of province and going to uni for years and years, which I can't do, but this other course is a one year course that would get me into that world which I would love.

But for now, I spend my day's cleaning, cooking and potty training and trying to find a way to love it all. Its pretty easy when they smile at me though :)

It's some of the hardest work, I think, but you do it for the ones you love.

Being a pharmacy tech would be fun, but busy and you can't really make any mistakes. They have the training program here too and once you finish, there are flexible work hours. I think it's a good choice and maybe when the kids are a lot older you could go back to pharmacy school.

Posted Image

#8 dapianoplay3r

dapianoplay3r

A functioning mafia addict

• Members
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

Ry my Dad is a manager for a group of homes like that and my Mum is a special needs teacher

I just got a job making props, costumes, and sets for a theatre company. I start on the 7th

A work in progress

Spoiler

#9 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Ry my Dad is a manager for a group of homes like that and my Mum is a special needs teacher

I just got a job making props, costumes, and sets for a theatre company. I start on the 7th

Awesome! It's hard work, what your parents do and I find it very rewarding.

We have great community theater where I live! We go to plays all of the time. I know someone's daughter who got a start doing what you are going to be doing and now she lives in Southern Cal and has a contract with Warner Brothers. She had to work for a lot of years locally but you need to do what you love.

Posted Image

#10 dapianoplay3r

dapianoplay3r

• Members
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

My mum really likes it. My dad doesn't really work with the people, just the staff, so Im not sure about him

I want to go into film and television but at this point the theatre will pay the bills and it's flexible enough to mean I can do free on set work

A work in progress

Spoiler

#11 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:49 AM

My mum really likes it. My dad doesn't really work with the people, just the staff, so Im not sure about him

I want to go into film and television but at this point the theatre will pay the bills and it's flexible enough to mean I can do free on set work

Yes, and you will get great experience. That is where the woman I told you about is now working, for films.

Posted Image

#12 dapianoplay3r

dapianoplay3r

• Members
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

The course I did was really good because it gave me so many ins to the industry so I can almost go straight to film and TV

A work in progress

Spoiler

#13 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

The course I did was really good because it gave me so many ins to the industry so I can almost go straight to film and TV

Where did you take it and what was the course?

Posted Image

#14 U4ea

U4ea

Elegant Eldest

• DM - Staff
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

The closest I ever got to theater work was backstage at a talent show in 4th grade and working in the Entertainment dept. at Six Flags un High School. LOL, I dated a stage tech for a few years... Does that count?

image11111.jpg

#15 dapianoplay3r

dapianoplay3r

• Members
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Im from NZ for a start so it was there
I studied at a Film and Television School called South Seas
The course is devoted to learning through doing so it was on set most of the year
I chose to specialize in the art department so I learnt Costume, Art Dept, Props, Sets, and Make up

A work in progress

Spoiler

#16 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

The closest I ever got to theater work was backstage at a talent show in 4th grade and working in the Entertainment dept. at Six Flags un High School. LOL, I dated a stage tech for a few years... Does that count?

No.

Posted Image

#17 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Im from NZ for a start so it was there
I studied at a Film and Television School called South Seas
The course is devoted to learning through doing so it was on set most of the year
I chose to specialize in the art department so I learnt Costume, Art Dept, Props, Sets, and Make up

That sounds like a lot of fun.. and work. How long was it?

Posted Image

#18 BaLefireP

BaLefireP

Crunchy-Licious!

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

I am a boring old fast food worker at Taco Casa who wishes to do greater things with his life.

#19 dapianoplay3r

dapianoplay3r

• Members
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

It was only a year course so very very busy. I think I might end up a fast food worker though
Bale there is nothing wrong with having a job to pay the bills

A work in progress

Spoiler

#20 U4ea

U4ea

Elegant Eldest

• DM - Staff
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

No.

Awww... Shucks.

image11111.jpg