Photo

Week 1: Moiraine vs. Nynaeve

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 1: Moiraine vs. Nynaeve (328 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Moiraine (137 votes [41.77%])

Percentage of vote: 41.77%

2. Nynaeve (191 votes [58.23%])

Percentage of vote: 58.23%

Vote

#21 kraefzke

kraefzke
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

[ot]I don't even know if it is possible to channel from a well when shielded (has certainly been discussed, but I must have somehow missed it).[/ot]

This is the hardest one for me to decide. For one thing, I really like both characters, so no sympathy-vote possible. For another, both have strong advantages over the other, and respectively strong disadvanteges and I think they are quite evenly matched in terms of win-likelyhood (though with obvious, vast differences in their skills). In the end, I suppose (and vote) that Moiraine would win. Barely.

#22 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

[ot]I don't even know if it is possible to channel from a well when shielded (has certainly been discussed, but I must have somehow missed it).[/ot]

RJ confirmed this in an interview. If you want the full details go to the General Wheel of Time Forum, into the Luckers List of FAQ stuck at the top, and then into the Cadsuane and Nynaeve's ter'angreal link.

Follow Me On Twitter: or check out my WoT FAQ and Theories

------

Terez: The word 'douche' appears twice in the database. Both times it's you

Luckers: I'm nothing if not a creature of habit.

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#23 Nightstrike

Nightstrike
  • Members
  • 6,767 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:17 AM

Nynaeve was equal to Moghedien before she even reached her potential. No way that Moiraine could have survived being face to face with Moggy.

After she's been to the Finns, there's no chance - even with angreal. (Nynaeve has some useful items as well. That's plural.)

Bracelet and Rings

A female angreal in the form of a bracelet connected to four rings. They can be fastened on with a lock and a tiny key. It is a relatively powerful angreal.

References
•TWoTRPG - The bracelet and rings angreal is above average in strength.
•TPoD,Ch4 - Elayne finds the bracelet and rings while going through the Ebou Dari stash. The bracelet and rings is stronger than the amber turtle brooch and the seated woman.
•TPoD,Ch5 - Nynaeve uses the bracelet and rings when the circle uses the Bowl of the Winds.
•WH,Ch12 - Rand, Alivia, Nynaeve and Lan take the bracelet and rings with them when they leave Caemlyn.
•WH,Ch22 - Nynaeve wears the bracelet and rings in Far Madding.
•WH,Ch32 - Nynaeve wears the bracelet and rings and the jewelry set when she goes riding with Cadsuane.
•WH,Ch35 - Alivia takes the bracelet and rings and the jewelry set to help defend Rand.
•CoT,Ch24 � Nynaeve still has the bracelet and rings. It is a much stronger angreal than Cadsuane's shrike.
•KoD,Ch18 � Nynaeve wears the jewelry set and bracelet and rings all the time.
•KoD,Ch20 � Nynaeve wears the jewelry set and bracelet and rings all the time.

Without this angreal, I wouldn't be strong enough to be raised Accepted in the White Tower.

--> Although she's strong enough to use the angreal, obviously.

But with it I'll be very strong, stronger in the Power than before I was taken.

-->Nothing indicates she'll be anywhere near Nynaeve with angreal.

Edited by Nightstrike, 16 January 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#24 RiBurton

RiBurton

RiBurton

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:15 AM

I haven't finished the whole series but I have to go with Mo as I think the Game of Houses will trump pure One Power. Nothing is ever really as it seems.

#25 Tyzack

Tyzack

Purity Of Essence

• DM - Staff
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:42 AM

Brute strength != Intelligence...i'll give the edge of Moriane in this.

Fleigt heim, ihr Raben!

Mandrake, in the name of her majesty and the continental congress, get over here and feed me this belt!

"If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon"
-Kathrine Switzer

"Bet on it!"

-President Barrak Obama 

#26 Dream

Dream
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

Ugh. So hard to choose. They've both done cool things. Defeated/killed multiple Forsaken. I have to go with Nynaeve because Moiraine has been absent for so long and Nynaeve has been coming up with weaves that were thought to be impossible even in the Age of Legends.

#27 Jak o' the Shadows

Jak o' the Shadows

Son of Battles

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

Power vs. Power, debatable. Moiraine's angreal probably gives her a slight advantage.

Willpower vs. Willpower. Both women are tough as nails, but when it comes to sheer perseverance and stubbornness, Nynaeve wins. She just won't allow herself to lose.

Ability vs. Ability. Nynaeve has done things no Aes Sedai has done in thousands of years, maybe ever. And her power/skills keep growing as she discovers new things she can do. I think she'd just find a way to win, intuitively.

Love Moiraine, but this isn't just a contest of power...Nynaeve wins this.
There's some delight in ale and wine,
And some in girls with ankles fine,
But my delight, yes, always mine,
Is to dance with Jak o' the Shadows.

#28 XXX47

XXX47
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

Moraine would win...she is a cold hearted killer when needed. Ny is not. Same reason why Egwene would smash Ny if they started a fight.

#29 gwenifer

gwenifer

piccolina

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Power vs. Power, debatable. Moiraine's angreal probably gives her a slight advantage.

Willpower vs. Willpower. Both women are tough as nails, but when it comes to sheer perseverance and stubbornness, Nynaeve wins. She just won't allow herself to lose.

Ability vs. Ability. Nynaeve has done things no Aes Sedai has done in thousands of years, maybe ever. And her power/skills keep growing as she discovers new things she can do. I think she'd just find a way to win, intuitively.

Love Moiraine, but this isn't just a contest of power...Nynaeve wins this.

I agree. And we learned that AS of the old generation, like Moiraine, don't actually know too many useful batttle weaves, even the Green ones... they always do the same boring things.

I just hope that aMoL will be much more satisfying than "Merlin" finale...

#30 New Ashaman

New Ashaman
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

with Moiraine's angreal the power they have is equal so Moiraine wins with craftiness.

#31 RayB

RayB
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

Also don't we know that the well worked in Far Madding even with the wards? So it should work with a shield as well. She doesn't have to tap into the source herself just make use of what is allready there.
Posted Image

#32 goddessbec

goddessbec
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

i don't know who to vote for!! Probably because they are my two favourite charactors.

I would like to say Moiraine wins, but I tuly believe it will by Nyn

#33 Testy al'Carr

Testy al'Carr
  • Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Also don't we know that the well worked in Far Madding even with the wards? So it should work with a shield as well. She doesn't have to tap into the source herself just make use of what is allready there.

always made me curious, could someone severed use a well.
Posted Image

#34 Crusader12

Crusader12
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

As to the power question, I agree that Nyn would be more powerful, all things considered, but not by such a landslide as a few have made it seem.

But I just don't buy that Nyn would really believe Moiraine was going to kill her, I think she'd be a little too shocked and disbelieving of the notion to be able to go to the next step of forming a coherent plan of action. I say Moiraine would win (if such a battle would ever happen--not likely).

#35 Nightstrike

Nightstrike
  • Members
  • 6,767 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

As this would probably not be a fight "to the death", I'd think Nynaeve has great use or her ter'angreal. You can't shield someone if you aren't a lot stronger. Nynaeve has fought duels on equal terms and come out with a victory. The well would be useful too, of course. Moiraine hasn't the same duelling skill - or at least I don't think we've seen it. Nynaeve can stay cool in such a fight. Moiraine had already seen what might happen at the dock, so she had time to think on how to tackle Lanfear into Finn's land.

Oh, and if it really would be a fight where someone is prepared to kill the other, then I guess the more evil of them would be likely to use Balefire or the element of surprise. Then it would probably be a win for the Shadow, regardless of who it was.

Edited by Nightstrike, 17 January 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#36 Smittyphi

Smittyphi
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

I like both of these characters. Moiraine managed to beat Merean, who was more experienced working with the OP. Nyneave is just plain awesome, especially at this point in the series. Can we vote for a tie? Pretty please? NO? Fine. I'll pick one when I'm good and ready.

#37 Nightstrike

Nightstrike
  • Members
  • 6,767 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Moiraine managed to beat Merean, who was more experienced working with the OP.

Merian wasn't as strong as Egwene. Egwene is "a candle" against Nynaeve's "bonfire". Moghedien wouldn't stand a chance against Nynaeve, once Nynaeve reached her potential. (Moghedien was in fact beaten by Nynaeve before Nynaeve reached her full potential.)

Edited by Nightstrike, 17 January 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#38 Red Hand Man

Red Hand Man

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

This will be a cat fight, quite literally. Nynaeve's strength in the OP may be an even match for Moiraine's skill, but the two of them have both shown that OP is not their LAST resort, physical wrestling will come into play. I think Nynaeve will knock Moiraine down just after she's shielded her, losing control of the OP, burning her out and from there it's a rout.

Edited by Red Hand Man, 17 January 2012 - 09:47 AM.

A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#39 Halfy GoldenEyes

Halfy GoldenEyes
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

I must vote for Moiraine as my daughter gave the stunning performance as Moiraine in Jason's award winning trailer!

could i get a link to that trailer?

#40 Tyzack

Tyzack

Purity Of Essence

• DM - Staff
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

http://www.dragonmou...ers_of_Midnight

Fleigt heim, ihr Raben!

Mandrake, in the name of her majesty and the continental congress, get over here and feed me this belt!

"If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon"
-Kathrine Switzer

"Bet on it!"

-President Barrak Obama