Photo

Week 1: Moiraine vs. Nynaeve

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 1: Moiraine vs. Nynaeve (328 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Moiraine (137 votes [41.77%])

Percentage of vote: 41.77%

2. Nynaeve (191 votes [58.23%])

Percentage of vote: 58.23%

Vote

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

Posted Image

Write-up by: Verbal32

The Contestants

Moiraine Damodred
Race: human
Weapon: the One Power
Special: a powerful angreal

Nynaeve al’Meara
Race: Human
Weapon: the One Power
Special: a Well containing stored saidar

The Breakdown

Advantages
Moiraine: many years of practice weaving saidar, iron self control
Nynaeve: immense strength in the One Power, incredible courage

Disadvantages
Moiraine: diminished strength, slightly behind on current events
Nynaeve: the self-control of a 2-year-old, an ugly braid

How we think the fight will go:

The girl tugged furiously at her braid, glaring at her with a white-hot intensity. Great, thought Moiraine Damodred, this untrained child is going to pitch yet another one of her infamous tantrums.

“You boneheaded, goat kissing, bull goosed fool!” Nynaeve al’Meara stood there staring fire at the Aes Sedai she had met on that fateful night when she stole away the boys from her village. This…..chit…..forced Nynaeve to leave the Two Rivers herself and track the boys and Egwene down to find them in the custody of this blasted woman.

“Peace, Nynaeve.” Moiraine attempted to calm the girl down, but there was no hope. Nynaeve had her braid in such a grip it was a miracle she hadn’t ripped it out of her scalp yet.

“Honestly, Nynaeve, you are going to hurt yourself doing that. Let’s have some tea and talk about this – I will do anything necessary to protect the Dragon Reborn and see him meet his destiny. Lan will be cross with me, but he will understand why I must kill you.”

Nynaeve’s face turned a few dozen shades of red and she let go of her braid in favor of making her hands into claws for strangling the life out of that Aes Sedai. Belatedly, she realized how foolish she looked, and put her hands down to her side. She took a deep breath, whispered a prayer to the Creator, thought of Lan for the 8,000th time that day, and attacked.

Nynaeve began with what she hoped would end the fight before it began. She wove balefire. Moiraine dove out of the way and screamed in anger.

“You childish brat! Don’t ever use balefire like that? In fact, don’t ever use balefire PERIOD! Do you realize the damage you could have caused? Do you even think before you act? To think you’ve been raised to Aes Sedai – this would not have happened in my time.”

“Times change, Moiraine.” Nynaeve was already impatient with Moiraine’s lectures. Not that being impatient was anything new for Nynaeve - she seemed to walk around with a chip on her shoulder all the time. She didn’t understand why people told her this, as she felt herself to be poised as an Aes Sedai should be. She could be calm, composed, and totally in control. Sometimes. Usually. Just not now.

The two women continued to fight with the One Power, saidar being handled with an expert touch on one side, and with crude but enormous power on the other. Nynaeve knew that Moiraine’s channeling ability was diminished, but that she held a powerful angreal somewhere on her person. If she could get that angreal away, this fight would be trivial. As it stood, while she vastly overpowered Moiraine, Nynaeve was amazed at the tricks up the older woman’s sleeve.

“Burn me for a light-blinded fool!” Nynaeve said out loud. She was frustrated at the length of the battle and her inability to do any noticeable damage to Moiraine. In fact, Moiraine just stood there, a picture of Aes Sedai serenity. Nynaeve, on the other hand, trembled with fury. She hated this woman. She would not help Rand- that duty was to his village Wisdom, and his friend. Nynaeve knew what Rand needed, and would be there for him, to guide him in his destiny to face the Dark One at the Last Battle. Rand had managed just fine after Moiraine had left, right? On reflection, Nynaeve decided that perhaps Moiraine had a calming influence on Rand after all, and that only served to infuriate her further.

Nynaeve unleashed her full power at Moiraine. She used all 5 elements, and wove every nasty weave she could at Moiraine. Everything was defended. She simply was unable to reach Moiraine. The other woman didn’t even appear to be tiring! A plan was needed, and Nynaeve had one. She had some herbs in her pack, and one of them would temporarily blind somebody if thrown in the eyes.

Moiraine noticed that the girl had started to make her way towards her. She had no idea what the girl was up to, but Moiraine had no intention of falling victim to some trick. She had learned enough of those in her time. She altered her attack and decided to attempt to shield Nynaeve instead of outright kill. Perhaps she could catch the new Aes Sedai off guard and end this fight. Moiraine had places to go – she needed to find Rand al’Thor and ensure he faced the Dark One. She was glad this fight had not included Warders – as wonderful as her Thom was, he certainly could not stand up to the amazing Lan Mandragoran. No – this fight would end now, and on her terms.

With weaves prepared, Moiraine started to walk forward, and then break into a run. The startled look on Nynaeve’s face betrayed her indecision, and that moment was all Moiraine needed. She attacked with multiple shields, drawing upon the full power of the angreal she had obtained. Shield after shield was pressed towards Nynaeve, until one finally slammed into place. Unfortunately, the girl was so strong that the edges of the shield had been dulled, and therefore the One Power was not severed.

Moiraine suffered her first shock of the battle - the girl stood calmly, with the Aes Sedai serenity Moiraine thought was beyond her. Amazing.

“You were a worthy foe, Nynaeve. Incredible strength, and courage to face an Aes Sedai that has been working with the One Power long before you. I regret what I must now do.”

Nynaeve stared at Moiraine as she droned on about how important her quest was. Would the woman ever get to it? Nynaeve felt like her braid was about to rip clean from her head, she was tugging on it so hard. This could not end this way. It would not. She waited.

“….and that is why my quest must not be ended prematurely. I hope you understand, child.”

Moiraine drew upon the Power, and began to form a weave of saidar, only to suffer the second shock of the battle. Nynaeve was weaving saidar!

“How is that possible? What trick…” The sentence was never finished as the weave of fire burned a hole straight through that ugly stone on Moiraine’s forehead and passed through her head. Nynaeve relaxed as she felt the shield disappear.

“No trick, Moiraine. I’m more than I was when we first met. I never let you see my true plan. I regret that I didn’t even use all the curse words Elayne taught me. I wonder where she got them?”

Nynaeve straightened her dress and walked off to ask Elayne that very question.

Predicted Winner: Nynaeve

You have until Saturday, January 21st at 9:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time to vote.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 Mashiara Sedai

Mashiara Sedai

Front Page Admin

• Administrators
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

I agree that Nynaeve would win between those two. Even though Moiraine has more experience in years with the Power, Nynaeve has more ability. Even Egwene and Elayne are more powerful than Moiraine--even with her angreal I think she was only slightly stronger than she was originally. So, Nynaeve should still be much stronger. Also, Nynaeve trained with one of the Forsaken and knows more about battle weaves, I would think.

~Mashiara

Lwwcryptochamp_zps17ab7381.jpg

Aes Sedai of the White Ajah ~ haran'Wansho of the Tuatha'an ~ Sister to Mavin

Front Page Admin ~ Front Page Theory Blogger

#3 damandred

damandred
  • Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Nynaeve beat Moggy. Enough said.

#4 Senexx

Senexx

Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

Nynaeve isn't manipulative enough to win. It's the Game of Houses that gives Moiraine the advantage, not the One Power. Brute force is hardly a strength of Nynaeve's though the example here showed that this could be a strength or a weakness. Don't get me wrong Nynaeve can be manipulative but the minute she clings to a single idea (which she still does), she's history.
Posted Image
“The Amyrlin understands the most complex of creeds and debates, yet in the end, she is servant to all, even the lowest laborers.” - Balladare Arandaille, Amyrlin 115-142NE

"I am an introvert and a nerd. Please read my instruction manuals before attempting to operate me."

#5 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Moiraine is still too crafty for Nynaeve. Moiraine for the win.

Follow Me On Twitter: or check out my WoT FAQ and Theories

------

Terez: The word 'douche' appears twice in the database. Both times it's you

Luckers: I'm nothing if not a creature of habit.

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#6 SarahB

SarahB
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Ummmm, yeah Moiraine didn't come just to lose in a cat fight. She'll when. She always wins.

#7 SarahB

SarahB
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

***win***

#8 Elusive Athena

Elusive Athena
  • Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Nynaeve would win. Definitely. Unless the match took place in one of the early books, Nynaeve would be skilled enough in the power, and she wouldn't be restrained by conventional methods of fighting as Moiraine (with more experience following rules, and the Three Oaths) would.

Posted Image
Athena Signature by Nynaeve - Dragonflies, Cheshire Cat, Murder Mystery Signatures by Ithillian

#9 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 17,097 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

Nyn would be able to win this battle. It is stated many times that skill can only compensate for so much of a difference in power. Ray Leonard might have been a great fighter but he wouldn't beat Mike Tyson with his craftiness.

This I would hate to see since I like both characters.

Posted Image

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#10 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Nyn would be able to win this battle. It is stated many times that skill can only compensate for so much of a difference in power. Ray Leonard might have been a great fighter but he wouldn't beat Mike Tyson with his craftiness.

Moiraine has an angreal that is near sa'angreal in strength.

------

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#11 saab4

saab4
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

I must vote for Moiraine as my daughter gave the stunning performance as Moiraine in Jason's award winning trailer!

#12 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

I must vote for Moiraine as my daughter gave the stunning performance as Moiraine in Jason's award winning trailer!

Awesome!

------

------

#13 SarahB

SarahB
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks mom :)

#14 Bougher

Bougher
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

she is still not a match for Nyn after all she used the littel staue sa'angreal witch means she has anourmes power cause the only other person who can use one of those olone is rand and he the most powerfull male
<boughya>

#15 Bougher

Bougher
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

plus if Moiraine killed Nynaeve lan would kill her
<boughya>

#16 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

she is still not a match for Nyn after all she used the littel staue sa'angreal witch means she has anourmes power cause the only other person who can use one of those olone is rand and he the most powerfull male

Firstly, many other women could have used the Choedan Kal with Rand. Rand chose Nynaeve because she was the only one of those still around who he trusted to link with him. Verin cites Moiraine herself, at her old strength, as being someone who could, though the veracity of the claim is subject to question--certainly Cadsuane, Elayne, Egwene, Aviendha, Metarra, Talaan, Alivia, Someryn and many others could have done so, not to mention all of the Forsaken. By the same note, there are many other men besides Rand who could have used the male one--Logain (despite Verin's claim) and Taim, for instance.

In any case, the point is irrelevant--Nynaeve being strong enough to use the Choedan Kal does not make her stronger than Moiraine with an angreal that is on the verge of being sa'angreal. Indeed, Nynaeve even with her bracelet and rings angreal may not stand as strong as Moiraine with her near-sa'angreal angreal.

------

------

#17 Nessana Sedai

Nessana Sedai
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

Firstly, many other women could have used the Choedan Kal with Rand. Rand chose Nynaeve because she was the only one of those still around who he trusted to link with him. Verin cites Moiraine herself, at her old strength, as being someone who could, though the veracity of the claim is subject to question--certainly Cadsuane, Elayne, Egwene, Aviendha, Metarra, Talaan, Alivia, Someryn and many others could have done so, not to mention all of the Forsaken. By the same note, there are many other men besides Rand who could have used the male one--Logain (despite Verin's claim) and Taim, for instance.

In any case, the point is irrelevant--Nynaeve being strong enough to use the Choedan Kal does not make her stronger than Moiraine with an angreal that is on the verge of being sa'angreal. Indeed, Nynaeve even with her bracelet and rings angreal may not stand as strong as Moiraine with her near-sa'angreal angreal.

Let us remember that in TGH, Nynaeve noted that she could channel half of what ten linked Aes Sedai could with a sa'angreal. And that sa'angreal is considered quite powerful for its kind. So no, it is unlikely that an extremely weakened Moiraine with a strong angreal will be as strong as Nynaeve.
"Oh, I do remember you. The one with the fla- the mouth. Ragan thought you could skin and butcher a blo- bull at ten paces with your tongue. Chaena and Nangu thought fifty."
Uno Nomesta to Nynaeve al'Meara
The Fires of Heaven

#18 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Let us remember that in TGH, Nynaeve noted that she could channel half of what ten linked Aes Sedai could with a sa'angreal. And that sa'angreal is considered quite powerful for its kind. So no, it is unlikely that an extremely weakened Moiraine with a strong angreal will be as strong as Nynaeve.

Let us remember that Nynaeve in fact stated that she didn't think she could channel half of what ten linked Aes Sedai could with a sa'angreal, and remember that Nynaeve was in fact completely correct about this--she could not have channeled that much, nor even anywhere remotely close.

Moiraine's comment is a better judge than that of Nynaeve, who had a bare handful of lessons under her belt. "Once she gains conscious control of what she now does without knowing, she will be as strong as any in Tar Valon."

That puts her on parr with Siuan at that point in the story. One Aes Sedai, and no sa'angreal.

------

------

#19 Arikado

Arikado
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Moraine defeated a Forsaken "bare-handed" (so to speak), and even if he wasn't a powerfull one, he still was one of them. Besides, even with the big diference of strenght Moraine is far more skilled than Nynaeve. I think Moraine would win and even with less effort, she just needed to tease Ny a little for her to lose control and get overwhelmed.

P.S. Hello :)
"Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain"

#20 W_A

W_A
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

Basically, I think this is exactly what would happen. Moiraine would manage to get a shield on her, let down her guard and get killed with the well.