Photo

Welcome to the Wheel of Time Cage Matches 2012!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:19 AM

Humans and Shadowspawn! Aes Sedai of all Ajahs! Welcome to our Wheel of Time cage matches!

Some of you are familiar with the popular Suvudu cage matches, which pit famous sci fi and fantasy characters against each other in bracketed tournaments. Our matches will be similar to Suvudu's, but they will be with Wheel of Time characters only.

Your hardworking Admins and DM Staff have chosen sixteen WoT characters (eight channelers and eight non-channelers) to fight each other in a bracketed tournament. We've got a bracket for the channelers and a bracket for the non-channelers. Each cage match includes impressive art and a write-up of how we think the fight might go. The actual results are determined via polls, in which all of you get to vote. Each poll lasts for one week, then the thread will be locked and a winner declared based on the poll results. You may discuss the ongoing matches in their relevant threads, and once those are locked, we'll make separate discussion threads for you to continue chatting about the matches from weeks past.

Here are our sixteen fighters:

Moiraine
Nynaeve
Cadsuane
Lanfear
Logain
Taim
Moridin
Aviendha
Padan Fain
Shaidar Haran
Lan
Thom
Birgitte
Min
Selucia
Mat

We will also be hosting a consolation match alongside the final match. The consolation match participants are not listed above--we want you to be pleasantly surprised by them!

Here is our official cage match schedule:

Week of Jan. 15-21: First sixteen fighters (just the eight channelers)
Week of Jan. 22-28: First sixteen fighters (just the eight non-channelers)
Week of Jan. 29-Feb. 4: Remaining eight fighters (all brackets)
Week of Feb. 5-11: Semifinals (remaining four fighters)
Week of Feb. 12-18: Finals (remaining two fighters) and Consolation Match

As each week goes by, I will be posting a list of the ongoing matches and winners from past matches right here in the first post of this thread.

Week 1:
1.) Moiraine vs. Nynaeve (Winner = Nynaeve)
2.) Cadsuane vs. Lanfear (Winner = Lanfear)
3.) Logain vs. Taim (Winner = Logain)
4.) Moridin vs. Aviendha (Winner = Moridin)

Week 2:
1.) Birgitte vs. Min (Winner = Birgitte)
2.) Lan vs. Thom (Winner = Lan)
3.) Padan Fain vs. Shaidar Haran (Winner = Padan Fain)
4.) Selucia vs. Mat (Winner = Mat)

Week 3:
1.) Nynaeve vs. Lanfear (Winner = Nynaeve)
2.) Moridin vs. Logain (Winner = Moridin)
3.) Padan Fain vs. Lan (Winner = Lan)
4.) Mat vs. Birgitte (Winner = Mat)

Week 4:
1.) Moridin vs. Nynaeve (Winner = Moridin)
2.) Mat vs. Lan (Winner = Mat)

Week 5:
1.) Mat vs. Moridin (Winner = Mat)
2.) Narg vs. Bela (Winner = Bela)

Feel free to ask questions and make comments here, but any spam will be deleted.

Have fun!

White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 17,544 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Are we to assume all persons are as they are at the end of ToM? Also would they be using the various angreals/Ter'angreals they have possessed? In some cases this would make a considerable difference. I don't want to expound too much at risk of spoilers.

Edit: now that I have read the descriptions it is apparent. nvm. :myrddraal:

Edited by Turin Turambar, 15 January 2012 - 11:51 AM.

Posted Image

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#3 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

Yep, the writers will clarify all that in the write-ups.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#4 Bougher

Bougher
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

i cant wait to see who matt fights
<boughya>

#5 XXX47

XXX47
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

Where is Egwene and Rand?

#6 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Rand wasn't included because he's basically in a class of his own and would probably win too easily. Egwene wasn't included because we wanted a mix of major and semi-minor (not so minor that nobody remembers them or cares about them) characters, women and men, as well as channelers and non-channelers. Hence, we picked only one ta'veren representative (Mat, but no Rand or Perrin) and one "wondergirl" representative (Nynaeve, but no Egwene or Elayne). If we choose to do this next year, some of the people we excluded this year can be used.

#7 g o i

g o i
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Rand wasn't included because he's basically in a class of his own and would probably win too easily. Egwene wasn't included because we wanted a mix of major and semi-minor (not so minor that nobody remembers them or cares about them) characters, women and men, as well as channelers and non-channelers. Hence, we picked only one ta'veren representative (Mat, but no Rand or Perrin) and one "wondergirl" representative (Nynaeve, but no Egwene or Elayne). If we choose to do this next year, some of the people we excluded this year can be used.

I'm supprise mordin was inculed since he is as strong as rand but rand might be a bit stronger not counting the sword that is not a sword
http://dragcave.net/user/g_o_i
please help my dragons in the link above(if you want)
http://andrew-smith.mybrute.com
link above is for my brute since I found it fun
if you can't clean the crime scene then obliterate it
computer: Warning. Warning. Firearms detected.
Computer: Number of weapons found...
Computer: ...
Computer: many

#8 jenniferl

jenniferl

Balrog of Love

• Administrators
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

We went back and forth quite a bit on who was included and not included. I think we had about 30 or so characters suggested that we had to cull down to the sixteen that made it. I've got a wall of sticky notes in my house where I was playing with some of the possible match ups.

I also Chair JordanCon, blog at Northside Food and am the President of the Southern Fandom Confederation.

I've disabled my PM box. You'll need to email me if you have an issue. jennifer@dragonmount.com

#9 Carai an Ellisande

Carai an Ellisande
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

I find it interesting that shaidar haran is included. He seems to be the hand of the dark one. able to block channelers and likely has more strength and speed that a regular myrdral. In fact no one knows the limits of his power. Or even of Fain for that matter... can someone kill him short of balefire?

#10 Corvinus

Corvinus
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

I am glad I decided to visit dragonmount today, after so long of an absence. This is cool. And I was about ask about the choices, when I saw your post. It makes sense for Rand not to be in this. And I guess I will defer to your logic about having only one ta'veren and only one wondergirl. Are you also doing characters that are still alive? Because I would have liked to see some other Forsaken in there.

#11 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thanks! All sixteen fighters who will appear in the matches are listed in the first post of this thread. If we decide to do this next year, we can use different Forsaken.

#12 g o i

g o i
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:10 AM

I just noticed that there were two of the harem in it
can't wait to see the next write ups

#13 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Moridin, SH and Fain are too overpowered for the poll imo.

Aside from Mat, the none Power wielders have no chance.

#14 Datakim

Datakim
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, I bet SH will win this contest. It will end up as Moridin vs Shaidar Haran, and since Shaidar Haran is basically DO's avatar or something, he should easily be able to cut Moridin from both OP and TP and kill him with ease.

Either that, or Padan Fain will reach SH and defeat him with his special anti-shadow dagger, in which case Moridin will win.

#15 Loial son of Arent

Loial son of Arent
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

It looks like they are just going down the list as you can see from week 1 if they do the same in week 2 Matt will fight Selucia.

#16 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:44 AM

It looks like they are just going down the list as you can see from week 1 if they do the same in week 2 Matt will fight Selucia.

Indeed he will. Just finished the write up. It's a little rough, as I've had no sleep in 48 hours, but I hope you will all enjoy. It goes live soon.

Follow Me On Twitter: or check out my WoT FAQ and Theories

------

Terez: The word 'douche' appears twice in the database. Both times it's you

Luckers: I'm nothing if not a creature of habit.

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#17 g o i

g o i
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, I bet SH will win this contest. It will end up as Moridin vs Shaidar Haran, and since Shaidar Haran is basically DO's avatar or something, he should easily be able to cut Moridin from both OP and TP and kill him with ease.

Either that, or Padan Fain will reach SH and defeat him with his special anti-shadow dagger, in which case Moridin will win.

it looks like fain vs SH in the frist round

#18 New Ashaman

New Ashaman
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

surprisingly I agreed with all the week two predictions.

#19 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

Before I post the threads for this week, I want to give you guys a heads up. We had a setback with the write-ups this week (one of the writers is having to start over from scratch because his computer ate all of his write-ups). So, while the polls and art will be ready for you today, we'll need a couple of days to edit the write-ups into the threads. Thank you in advance for your patience.

#20 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

Three of the four write-ups are up. We're just waiting on Fain vs. Lan now.