DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favourite scene in the entire WoT?

number13

You guys are right. You think of one and then you're mind just jumps to a dozen others. There's countless to choose from...

Nynaeve Healing severing in LoC is one of my all time favourites. Siuan weeping because she remembers the pain of losing her Warder whilst Leane hugging and thanking her. All the disgruntled looks of the Yellow Aes Sedai who said it couldn't be done. Sheriam threatening to nail Nynaeve in a barrel and feed her mush through the bunghole.

I love the entire TSR scene where Rand walks through the rings in Rhuidean and we find out the history of the Aiel.

Consequently I love Aviendha's reverse viewing in Rhuidean in ToM. Both scenes are profoundly emotional because the Aiel are such an established race that RJ invites us to care deeply about. When we share in the shame of their broken oaths and the devastation of their possible future, we can't help but care for them even more.

The first chapter in which Rand has a conversation with Asmodean in tFoH. Asmodean is playing his harp and Rand asks him about his chances against the Dark One. Asmo suggests the Dark One will consume Rand alive and that he plans to open his veins the minute he hears the Dark One is free. But despite that, he carries on living and supporting Rand... holding onto what he sees as a few hopeless tufts of grass.

Relating to that, Rand and Asmo's battle in TSR and the discovery of the CK and the immense power it can channel.

Some that will be less popular to the anti AS/Egwene folk...

Egwene's skillful maneuvering of the rebel Hall in PoD that put her in control of the war against Elaida. I enjoyed that whole story arc because Egwene begins as a child Amyrlin not taken all that seriously and slowly gains greater authority and influence.

Egwene ordering the Hall to reswear their oaths and naming Sheriam as Black Ajah. And then ordering the execution of her Keeper and scores of her sisters. BADASS!

Oh and just as an aside really: the entire extended edition of New Spring. Which gave us even more insight into the fascinating traditions and political intrigues of the White Tower and Aes Sedai. I know that lots of people hate the WT/AS because they get so much wrong and bungle things so often. But part of that is what entertains me so much. I love the hubris of Aes Sedai (like Elaida), how overly serious they take themselves, and how much they immerse themselves in politics, manipulations, and pulling the strings of others. RJ does all this deliberately, because it makes it all the more enjoyable when foolish Aes Sedai like Joline are shamed! And it makes us appreciate the few decent Aes Sedai all the more... like Siuan, Moiraine, and Anaiya. It's always White Tower stuff or rebel Aes Sedai stuff that I reread again and again.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Vandene stabs Careane to death.

It's just hardcore...In that situation we see the BA being all rar rar we've got the power and you're shielded, look how tricky we are, whatcha gonna do oouuu. Sort of one of those without being able to use the power, what's an Aes Sedai good for - kind of moments.

...Then Vandene's like screw this, whips out the knife and bingo bango cool as a cuke, offs her sister's killer with complete disregard for what happens to herself. No power needed, the ollllld fashioned way.

There are many great scenes to choose from but for me, these are the ones that continue to stay vivid:

* Mat vs Galad and Gawyn quarterstaff/sword fight

* Aiel ancestry at Rhuidean

* Dumai's Wells

* Cleansing of saidin

* The whole scene with Rand, Min and Semirhage in tGS

...That's as much as I could narrow it down to!

two scenes come to mind...

Egwene in Fount of Power from TGS was awesome! The picture in mymind of her standing on top of a blasted tower with the wind blowing through her hair and all that power flowing through her! Wow!

The second is the scene (I can't remember whre it is ATM) when Mat is talking with Talmanes about how it would be playing dice with women when the pips show nothing and she claims she won lol. I really laughed at that part had to read it a couple times :)

There are many good moments in WoT, but following are the moments I have segregated as the best - in my opinion - in terms of emotions:

1. Mystery - Rand, Loial and Hurin in the alternate world in TGH, and all the Forsaken scenes.

2. Anger - Treatment faced by Egwene in TGH, and Rand's imprisonment in LoC.

3. Sorrow - Lan's departure in TFoH.

4. Humor - Nynaeve's PoV in Samara in TFoH and Mat's scenes with Tuon

5. Loss - Verin's death in TGS and Asmodean's death

6. Emotional - Forging of Perrin's Hammer in ToM, wolves coming to Perrin's aid in EoTW and TDR, Aviendha's viewing in ToM, Rand's viewing in TSR, Cleansing of Saidin, Rand's scene on Dragonmount in TGS, Perrin's scene of Dragonmount in ToM and Rand in Maradon in ToM

7. Horror - EoTW prologue and Rand's treatment of Tam in TGS

8. Strong scenes - Rand after reincarnation in ToM

9. Adrenaline scenes - Rand-Sammael in TCoS, Nynaeve-Moghedien in TFoH, attack on WT in ToM and scenes in the last of TSR.

10. Pity - Liandrin's shielding

Only a small list, but there are scenes I liked the most. I know many will disagree with me on Asmodean, but his death really gave me a sense of pity and loss, as he was one of the Forsaken whom I had started to like because of his sense of humor and timing.

Reading this list after some good Two RiverS and a cup of brandy made me well up with some emotion, each suggestion brought back the feelings of reading each part. Man too many to list.... One that made me laugh so hard was this part in Winters Heart ....

"She feels him steel himself, and says again that he has to go; Elayne stops him and says there is one more thing. Min and Aviendha hastily clear out, eyeing each other doubtfully. Rand watches warily.

“There is something they have had from you that I haven’t,” Elayne began, and choked, a flush scalding her face. Blood and ashes! How did other women go about this?"..

I could keep writing for days...! I love you critters

I saw many moments reading above here that I especially love, and a couple of ones I didn't see.

1. Mat vs. Galad and Gawyn

2. Egwene and Elayne learning just how strong Rand is, (that was awesome!)

3. Rand saving Min and destroying Semi with the TP in TGS (took my breath away and I had to put the book down, thought it might be the end of Min!!!)

3. Cads getting put in her place anytime.

4. Nynaeve's entire story arc from the beginning. What a great character she is! I'm anticipating the humor later on when she reaches for her braid that is gone? Already happened once and she thought that would take getting used to!(whew!) How far she has come, and what next? She'll restore Mat's eye and Rand's hand maybe?? Seal the DO's prison with Rand and Moi?? Restore full power to Moiraine? (oops, need an Ashaman for that)

5. When Corele suggested to Cadsuane that Alanna may have invented flying, to leave the Stone, given what has been happening lately... :-)

6. One I didn't see above.. When Rand erased Natrin's Barrow, and Graendal's escape from that balefire attack! Awesome! Didn't even realize that I had to wait for the ToM prologue for that outcome!

7. Elayne getting hauled up the city wall while still in her bed (poor gaurdsmen!, I didn't notice that any of her female guards helping haul that bed up) to witness what Aludra's dragoons could do, and Birgitte's wisdom regarding them.

8. ToM Ch. 40 "A Making". The entire chapter.

9. Moiraine's rescue and aftermath outside the ToG. Moiraine will have her tea after all! I cried.

there are many many more.

Oh!

10. Verin's visit to Egwene. After that happened, I went back and read every part that Verin was in or was mentioned (thank you encyclopaedia WoT for your existence!) She was really busy. Remember PoD prologue?

11. Egwene's defense of the tower with the novices. Awesome!

12. Perrin showing up Egwene in the World of Dreams "It's just a weave." Shrugs off the ropes. Leaves her stunned. It's because of Perrin that Egwene was able to defeat Mesanna. I wonder now if she will admit that to him when they meet at Merilor?

I just realized that all 5 of the original Edmons Fielders had a major victory or accomplishment in ToM and all were great moments.

Rand's A Storm of Light and return to Bander Eban

Mat and Co defeat the Gholam then rescue Moiraine

Perrin and the Whitecloaks and destroying the first dreamspike.

Egwene defeats Mesanna.

Nynaeve heals Naiff and her testing.

There are too many moments to really even begin to pick a favorite, but I'm in the middle of rereading the Shadow Rising and I love the dialogue between Matt & Rand when Rand is eyeing the peddlers and Matt is worrying about Rand going mad, lol especially the part where he askes him "what snares" and then thinks in his mind "Light let him give me an answer that isnt crazy"

Simple enough question - what's your favourite moment in the books? The bit you get all happy about when it's coming up in your re-reads?

Mine is the Quarterstaff v Swords fight with Mat, Gawain and Galad. I loved the way he, a weak and far from hearty farmboy, gave the two smug kids an absolute spanking.

Every time I read it I want to jump up and down with glee for him.

:mat:

A very good scene!! Heres a part that made me jump up and down on my bed with tears in my eyes shouting Yes!!! Yes!!!

It was the slight widening of Logain's eyes that told her what she had done. Breath froze in her throat. She backed away from him so fast she stumbled over her skirt. " Nynaeve," Elyane said, sitting up straight,"what is the mat-?" A heartbeat, and Nynaeve had all of the saidar she could hold redirected into a shield. "Go find Sheriam," she said hurriedly. Nobody else but Sheriam. " Tell her...." She drew a deep breath that seemed like her first for hours; Her heart was speeding to beat galloping horses. " Tell her I've Healed Logain."

Simple enough question - what's your favourite moment in the books? The bit you get all happy about when it's coming up in your re-reads?

Mine is the Quarterstaff v Swords fight with Mat, Gawain and Galad. I loved the way he, a weak and far from hearty farmboy, gave the two smug kids an absolute spanking.

Every time I read it I want to jump up and down with glee for him.

:mat:

i have watched this thread grow, and read most of the posts wondering if any might move me otherwise, but i am still on the prologue of the eye of the world. it contains everything that is the wheel of time.

EDIT: after reading the books numerous times that prologue makes me cry, makes me laugh, and makes me think, all at once.

EDIT2: it makes me shiver like a guy who is first getting touched in his naughty bits outside a clinic.

Ive only gotten to book 4 in my reread so far so I dont have alot that I can remember.

1) TEotW: When Rand meets Morgase and Elaida for the first time

2) tGH: Rand taking now 5 Grolm with nothing but 5 arrows

3) tGH: Rand meeting the Amrylin after Lan taught him how to act.

4) tDR: Mat beating Galad and Gawain

5) tDR: Perrin finally getting to be a blacksmith again in Tear is one of my favorite moments ever.

Havnt read it again yet, but I from what I remember I love the boot analogy as well.

One more I remembered, Perrin forging his hammer. I think Perrin just has some of the best scenes in the books.

Not my fav character, but has the best scenes.

Dude the best scene is when Mat is trying to explain his overly elaborate script on how to enter the town with nobody thinking there was a conspiracy behind it with the one eyed guy as a gleemans apprentice who ran away from his old aunt cause she fed him scraps and called him the dead dogs name, Talmanes having to wear the warder cloak and how he finally came out of the closet, and when Mat was walking out Talmanes had that tell tale hint of a twinkle in his eye that let him know he was laughing on the inside.

Priceless

The boot analogy the boot on the table as a paperweight made that moment, and the women and dice analogy you could actually use that in RL lol

When mat first gets away from the Aes Sedai after the healing and gets in a fight with a footpad a couple stories up and falls from a bridge i think that is also the first night he goes out dicing and finds out he is extraordinarily lucky not sure tho.

All of Mats visits to Finland

When Mat is looking for the guy who is trying to kill Elayne in Tear TDR and randomly walks in a tavern and the guy is sitting at a table Mat walks over and plays dice with the guys and knows he's using loaded dice and STILL! beats the guy then whoops up on his ass when it comes to blows.

Really any part that makes Mat look like a BAMF cuz really there shouldnt be any argument he is one, who else has gone HAM on a Gholem, I think he's the only one that could actually beat Lan in a one on one.

Some excellent nostalgia thanks to you all. I wanted to list a few I hadn't seen already, but I'm sure I'm still overlapping a bit. I tried though!

1 Rand getting a little too into his part and chunking Perrin off the wall during their pretend/staged "fight."

2 Mat playing Maidens Kiss.

3 Nynaeve having daggers thrown at her with apples on her head.

4 Mat basically disecting Rhuarcs Battle Plan to Lan in ten seconds flat.

5 The KOD Deathgates.

6 Verin reminiscing about sliding her dagger into some dude while he smiled at her.

7 Mat "wolfing down" food then choking on it after just criticizing a seasick Nynaeve about being a glutton.

8 Cadsuane rescuing Rand. Cadsuane biatchslapping Harine.

9 Berelain and Mats hallway encounter. Berelain and Failes hallway encounter.

10 Rands answer to Lan on the roof when Lan ask Rand to let him drop.

"When the sun turns green."

Fish

Archived