DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Weekend Plans

Ryrin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:-( the day after a vacation usually doesn't. *sends virtual hugs*

Thank you. It was more about the email I sent my supervisor last night. I've had enough. Today she didn't say anything about it. Lol

My older son will be leaving to return to his AFB. Younger son is off with dad to build a raft with the Boy Scouts in some type of competition. I'm thinking of laundry, the dog park and we want to go see the Hunger Games. Tomorrow I've been invited to a Mary Kay party.

I've had a four day weekend because it's spring break and all my maintenance duties at work ended on Wednesday. Thursday was payday so I did all of those Adult Responsibility things. Friday, I went to the thrift store and had a pretty good book haul. I found a hard cover edition of Plato's Republic, an period reprint of Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby with Victorian (it was published as a serial and each chapter includes the serial advertisements in all their Victorian whackiness) and a biography of Rembrandt by a guy named Van Loom. This is an odd book for me because it claims to be written by the doctor who tended Rembrandt at his deathbed and published posthumously by his eighth removed grandkid in 1953. It reads like a period text but I have some quibbles on this fact. Every review I've read has said this is a great book and even if it's a modern production, I still look forward to reading it. I sincerely hope it was written by Rembrandt's doctor.

Today, I have fighter's practice and tomorrow, our shire has our monthly archery practice. We're starting a light fencing group and I've been sewing and making junk all week. I have a workable armored outfit and I'm mostly finished with this buckler. We'll see how it all works out.

That is so cool, Hiarthbeom!

Bad news for me. I hurt my back and can hardly stand up or sit down for that matter. Thank goodness, I hurt it after I went out to breakfast with my oldest son before he left to return to his air force base. It's not serious but it hurts bad and I wish it was monday so I could go into my doctor.

I have a problem with muscle spasms and pinched nerves in my lower back. I just make a point to lie down with a heating pad the first day it arrives and I keep myself on light duty until it passes. I should probably see a chiropractor at some point and figure out why it happens and what I can change but it never happens more than two or three times through-out the year. I hope it resolves soon, Ryrin. Not being able to sit or rest without hurting is no good.

I have a problem with muscle spasms and pinched nerves in my lower back. I just make a point to lie down with a heating pad the first day it arrives and I keep myself on light duty until it passes. I should probably see a chiropractor at some point and figure out why it happens and what I can change but it never happens more than two or three times through-out the year. I hope it resolves soon, Ryrin. Not being able to sit or rest without hurting is no good.

Thank you. It's a little better today. I need some muscle relaxants.

Instead of archery practice, I got dragged to Denver for a war practice. We worked on squad level shieldwall tactics, like how to defend a spearman with your shield, holding a line and defending corridors and doorways. This was my first time in a melee like this and I focused on staying alive as long as possible so the spearmen could do their work. I enjoyed myself and afterward, I had an authorization fight - this is the test a new fighter goes through to ensure he (or she, as the case often is) has learned how to fight safely and honorably. I passed and I can now fight in tournaments and wars. Granted, I've only been at this for eight months but its a significant step up from being the guy who shows up to practice to a fighter. I'm tired, sore, bruised and a little overwhelmed but I am pleased nonetheless. I guess I bemoaned the lack of a rite of passage in my life and I looked for it in the usual places but when those didnt pan out, I got frustrated. But heres this new thing and Im going to make the most of it.

Instead of archery practice, I got dragged to Denver for a war practice. We worked on squad level shieldwall tactics, like how to defend a spearman with your shield, holding a line and defending corridors and doorways. This was my first time in a melee like this and I focused on staying alive as long as possible so the spearmen could do their work. I enjoyed myself and afterward, I had an authorization fight - this is the test a new fighter goes through to ensure he (or she, as the case often is) has learned how to fight safely and honorably. I passed and I can now fight in tournaments and wars. Granted, I've only been at this for eight months but its a significant step up from being the guy who shows up to practice to a fighter. I'm tired, sore, bruised and a little overwhelmed but I am pleased nonetheless. I guess I bemoaned the lack of a rite of passage in my life and I looked for it in the usual places but when those didnt pan out, I got frustrated. But heres this new thing and Im going to make the most of it.

I think this is an excellent rite of passage!

Congrats on becoming a man (in SCA-land), Hiarthbeorn! I bet that felt awesome! Headed to Gulf Wars next year?

How did the Dr go today, Ryrin?

I got some pain killers and muscle relaxants. I didn't go to work on Monday but I went today. Slowly improving.

This weekend was rough. My grandmother passed away Friday evening but we knew it was going to happen. My mom flew back to Michigan a few weeks ago to spend time with her in hospice and she came back Saturday afternoon. I would have liked to have gone back but I made my peace with it. The last time I saw her, the Alzheimer's had made it's presence known in her life and it was cause for a bit of awkwardness. Easter Sunday was overshadowed by this but we knew this was coming, she died peacefully and it was not a sudden and tragic death but one still hopes holidays are free of such losses in the family.

I'm doing well, all things considered. I was a little frustrated with my Disgracebook friends and their constant stream of "corporate holidays, don't celebrate it, why do businesses close shop for this stupid holiday, blah blah blah." It struck me as wildly ignorant of the necessity of such designated moments to spend time with loved ones because each year, it seems like there is one less friend, one less family member, one less smiling face of the beloved strangers in our lives. Even if we struggle with the intent of a holiday, or if we disagree with a holiday, we should take the effort to reflect and share time and love with those close to us. I have known this for years but I've never said anything about it until now. It is simply disgraceful to neglect or spurn the bonds between family in such a dangerously short life.

That is all I really have to say. I am doing well.

*applauds loudly* I couldn't have said it better, myself, dear.

*hugs tight* Sorry about your grandmother. Even when you know it's coming, it doesn't make it easier to hear.

My weekend was overshadowed by the meds the dr prescribed for me because I'm still dizzy and headachy. He's pretty sure I have sleep apnea, which is causing the migraines and dizziness, but wants to rule out that it's not just my neck, which apparently has been spasmed to the point of stiffness for the last... I don't remember my neck ever not being stiff, so... *shrugs* So, PT and meds for a few weeks before we give in and do a sleep test. joy.

Ok, went out to breakfast with the fam. Mary Kay party tomorrow. Might go to the movies with hubby as my son has his first baby sitting gig with two autistic children. I'm going to try to go to the gym and I'd like to get some letters out to friends here.

We had T-ball practice today and we went to Lowe's for their kids crafts morning.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping and me trying to delay Monday coming (the end of my Spring Break... boo-hiss).

Next weekend, I'll be at JordanCon in Atlanta, though! I'm so excited! I finished my dress this week and I am going to spend my down time at school this week putting together the final bits of my notes for my track! *dances*

We had T-ball practice today and we went to Lowe's for their kids crafts morning.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping and me trying to delay Monday coming (the end of my Spring Break... boo-hiss).

Next weekend, I'll be at JordanCon in Atlanta, though! I'm so excited! I finished my dress this week and I am going to spend my down time at school this week putting together the final bits of my notes for my track! *dances*

Bring back pictures of Jordancon!

Archived