DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Weekend Plans

Ryrin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could watch your fighting. We used to live near a park where people would practice With swords and shields.

There are a few videos of my first tournament in October. I had only been practicing for a few months but I still enjoyed it even if I had my lunch money handed to me more than once. Vids below the fold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e56YA6UhMRI

This was my first round of the day. It was a random weapon match and I came up with sword-n-board and THL Robert drew a great axe. He was squired many years ago and is a pretty good fighter over-all. He's also a hulking beast. I'm on the left in the orange.

http://youtu.be/z7qF8By6F2A

This is for the LOL. Again, random weapon - I got dagger and buckler and Sir Haroun got a two-handed sword. :/

Today I did some yard work, fixed the door on my brother's truck and had a nice BBQ with the 'rents. Afterwards I went to the park for an evening stroll.

It's an honor system. Generally, if my opponent lands a shot that I feel is a killing/wounding/fight ending blow, I let them know by either calling "good" (most common in single opponent fights) or I fall dramatically to the ground in "death."

I made the orange suit and the green shield and each fighter makes or buys their own armor. Even though our armor is personalized, we are wearing an "assumed" set of chainmail and a spangenhelm. Part of the shot judgment is whether we feel the blow would have penetrated an actual suit of chainmail, which was excellent against sword swings but terrible against spear thrusts and worthless against a crushing axe blow.

There are a few shots that I accept outright. If it jarrs my helmet, I assume my helmet and skull were crushed. If it cuts across my face, I have a prize winning smile. If it lands beneath my armpit, theyve either punctured my chest or severed the artery which runs the length of my arm. A flat snap across my torso or waist is a fight ending wound. A leg shot means I've lost a leg and I have to fight from a kneeling position. I'm going to start incorporating a bleed out rule in the future. If I've lost a limb but can still fight I have so long to finish before I've bled out.

Since it's an honor system, my opponent can't demand I recognize a shot and most fighters are pretty good about respecting each other's judgment. If we think we've landed a shot that they should have recognized, we confer and talk it over. I'm usually of the mindset that, because I'm still learning, I'll just rule in my opponent's favor and call it even. It's a helping reminder to myself that I'm not there for ego gratification or machismo but good sport.

So, in the firat video, Robert wanted to harass my shield by locking it with the axe head and then thrusting it into my face. I extended my shield arm out while moving into his left flank and wrapping two quick shots, one to the back of his head and one into his ribs. The head shot would have been a killing blow but the ribs were just in case. I felt really bad when I found out I actually chipped one of his ribs. People get hurt all the time but nobody strives to hurt purposefully.

In the second match, Sir Haroun just brought the sword down onto the back of my head and it was pretty obvious from inside the helmet that it was a winning shot.

Like I said, it's an honor system and it works for the most part.

Whats everyone doing this weekend? My plans include kayaking, airsoft and going to an airshow to shoot some pictures :) Never say shoot planes, that gets you in trouble, or so I hear ;)

It's an honor system. Generally, if my opponent lands a shot that I feel is a killing/wounding/fight ending blow, I let them know by either calling "good" (most common in single opponent fights) or I fall dramatically to the ground in "death."

I made the orange suit and the green shield and each fighter makes or buys their own armor. Even though our armor is personalized, we are wearing an "assumed" set of chainmail and a spangenhelm. Part of the shot judgment is whether we feel the blow would have penetrated an actual suit of chainmail, which was excellent against sword swings but terrible against spear thrusts and worthless against a crushing axe blow.

There are a few shots that I accept outright. If it jarrs my helmet, I assume my helmet and skull were crushed. If it cuts across my face, I have a prize winning smile. If it lands beneath my armpit, theyve either punctured my chest or severed the artery which runs the length of my arm. A flat snap across my torso or waist is a fight ending wound. A leg shot means I've lost a leg and I have to fight from a kneeling position. I'm going to start incorporating a bleed out rule in the future. If I've lost a limb but can still fight I have so long to finish before I've bled out.

Since it's an honor system, my opponent can't demand I recognize a shot and most fighters are pretty good about respecting each other's judgment. If we think we've landed a shot that they should have recognized, we confer and talk it over. I'm usually of the mindset that, because I'm still learning, I'll just rule in my opponent's favor and call it even. It's a helping reminder to myself that I'm not there for ego gratification or machismo but good sport.

So, in the firat video, Robert wanted to harass my shield by locking it with the axe head and then thrusting it into my face. I extended my shield arm out while moving into his left flank and wrapping two quick shots, one to the back of his head and one into his ribs. The head shot would have been a killing blow but the ribs were just in case. I felt really bad when I found out I actually chipped one of his ribs. People get hurt all the time but nobody strives to hurt purposefully.

In the second match, Sir Haroun just brought the sword down onto the back of my head and it was pretty obvious from inside the helmet that it was a winning shot.

Like I said, it's an honor system and it works for the most part.

This is so cool.

We are going to my son's baseball game in the am. Then I have a massage scheduled at 1:15pm. Sunday, we have some friends that want to go to the coast but I've hurt my back and may need to lay low.

I am still buried under sick people. *sighs* The baby had ear infections, then when that cleared up, her fever just skyrocketed with no other symptoms. I'm guessing it was just teething, but she was MISERABLE for a few days (meaning so was I). My mother drove down to stay with us for about a week to keep me from having to take more time off (without getting paid for it). Peanut then started feeling bad, but it never lasted long, so we went about our normal days. My mother went home and Peanut started the "my swallow is coming" (which translates to "I'm about to throw up"). We went to dinner Friday and she threw up all over both of us in the restaurant. She says she feels better, but my kid, who fights taking a nap AT ALL TIMES, just fell asleep on the couch watching tv. My husband has had a migraine all day and me... I'm just tired of people not being their normal selves. May seems to have been a horrible month for me and I'm really hoping this isn't an indication of how June is going to go.

I will say (not weekend related, but my weekends are about to be months long <-- one of the perks of being a teacher!), that in 8 business days my summer break starts. I full intend to be on a beach on June 14th. I just need to be somewhere peaceful, by myself for a little while with no expectations. I found a section of Tybee Island, GA that doesn't get a lot of tourist traffic and that is where I shall be dropping my beach blanket as soon as I get the girls to their summer camp. *sighs blissfully*

Now, if it'll just happen that way... *sighs*

I'm sorry you had such a hard time. I figured that was going on. My back is killing me and I think I need a cortisone injection. We are leaving for Israel on 6/13.

I hope June is much better for you Lor, especially once the beach time comes! :) Ryrin, Israel? That sounds interesting! I want to see photos of the girls with Hello Kitty guns!

Well, I had planned on being a great friend and helping someone move this weekend, but apparently, that's not going to happen. Means my weekend just opened up! My husband is already filling it with stuff for his trailer (*sighs*).

I'm a bit on the depressed side, lately, and trying to claw my way out of it. That's just not as easy as it used to be. I'm not saying that for any sympathy. Just want you to be aware of it when I start spamming the W#(R&$(& out of the Kin, soon. LOL

The good news is that today was the last day of school for our students and Wednesday afternoon will be my last day, too. My new school is already making me feel welcome and I am really, REALLY looking forward to it after the way I've been treated over the last few weeks. I desperately need this summer...

Well, Lor you aren't the only one feeling down. My back continues to hurt and sitting is the worst position and I have a 14 hour flight next week. I just don't want to be in pain for this trip of a life time. I have been getting physical therapy and have pain medicine but sometimes it makes me sick. I'm exhausted from work, trying to do everything before I left. My husband is being an ass. Lol, what a downer.

I'm sorry, Lor. Hope everything looks up soon! Glad you like your new school!

I was busy this weekend.. hadn't been expecting that. Remet an old friend, stayed up late, canceled bike ride plans I had for the next day cause I was sore from walking all the way to our old town and then someone else called me and I had to answer the phone for her call (Trust me, had to, complicated) and she wanted to come over and then she got bored and dragged me to the beach so I was swimming and getting even more tired. She spent the night, so I didn't get a lot of sleep, early in the morning we had the farmers market to work at, and eventually she went home. Then I slept like a rock until today when I had a long drive out to my cousin's graduation party.

whew. So now I have to catch up on DM things.

My summer has started! Unfortunately, that usually means the first week is a house cleaning marathon. Joy. Ah, well. Could be worse.

I do have a party scheduled for this weekend. I'm throwing a luau/pinterest/redbook party! LOL Lots going on there, but it should be FUN! I am really looking forward to it! Or, maybe I'm just looking forward to the rum...

Saturday? Nada. Slept in. Savored the afternoon.

Sunday was our Shire archery practice so I dragged my kid sister down to the range and we shot for a few hours. I reakized that I outgrew my bow so I'm going to look at stepping up to a new draw. I did fairly well with a fifty five pound at a thirty inch draw (the other fighters tell me that I have magical Gumbi arms. You know that scene in Close Encounters when the aliens are stepping off the ship and their arms are as long as their bodies? That's what I experience every morning in the miror. O_o)

After practice, I cleaned out my car. Vacuumed, shampooed, dusted, the works. When I went to the gas station, my overdrive light wouldn't turn off so I figured some water dribbled down the consoke and shorted the circuit. An hour passes and it still won't turn off. So I did some reading. And took the shifter off and found that the wire connecting to the OD toggle had dislodged itself from the wire housing inside the center console. So I took the whole thing apart and remembered why I hate engineers so much. I got it fixed but only after I put the whole thing back together once only to discover it dislodged again. Not fun. Fixed but not fun.

Momday? Work amd then I went out to dinner with my dad and my brother. It was Dr. Seuss night at the Texas Roadhouse and one of the waiters was dressed like Cindy Lou Who and she was really attractive. I wanted to get her number but she was very busy and I felt sooo dirty.

Then I went to practice and discovered I fight much better with a lighter stick. I can roll shots quicker and my endurance is a billion times better. So, the next thing on my fight to-do list is make a lighter stick. The basket hilts most of the other fighters use weigh two or three founds and the stick is superdense so it's slower to start and harder to control and my arms hate me after a fight. I've kinda been aware thay this is a problem for me but it really became clear how much of a problem after I used something more appropriate to my size. Just like a gun or any other tool, if I can't control my sword, it's useless to me.

I don't use Pinterest. Should I?

Archived