• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ed2funy

ed2funy

Galactic Emperor

• Members
  • 33,097 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

Though I am sure 2012 has been discussed somewhere here, this thread is going to be slightly different.

Here is the deal.
Lots of people think the world is going to end and stuff, Mayan (Aztec?) calendar, blah blah.

I think they're wrong....but then I got to thinking.

A Memory of Light is going into it's later stages of being written. That is, revision and editing.
So, we know the book is going to come out late next year (gotta say next while I still can!).
We know the world is supposed to "end" at the end of next year.

I don't believe the world is going to end.

I think...that with the end of the greatest fantasy series ever written (die, if you say otherwise! :mad:), then so to shall DM pass.

It is a sort of mix between Y2K and 2012....
The world of DM is going to end.

Please don't let it die, Jason! :sad:

Edited by ed2funy, 29 December 2011 - 09:48 PM.

I have this stuffed animal named Ed, he's a monkeh. *nods*

I agree with the monkey in the blue suit.

#2 mmeeshal

mmeeshal

vas hapnen commitment *high note*

• Members
  • 57,820 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

I cannot believe you were allowed to graduate from any school in the United States of America, Mr. "ed2funy." You are clearly lacking even the most basic comprehension of the English language, a language you are required to use daily and a language you should, by all rights, have mastered by now.

Furthermore, you display a blatant lack of respect for ancient cultures and their names, and you must have a terrible memory.

Exhibit A:

Though I am sure 2012 has been discussed somewhere here, this thread is going to be slightly different.

Here is the deal.
Lots of people think the world is going to end and stuff, Mayan (Astec?) calendar, blah blah.

Ah, but I see you have changed the spelling in your original post. Smooth move, Ex-Lax.

Anyway, it should read:

Though I am sure 2012 has been discussed here somewhere, this thread is going to be slightly different.

Here is the deal:
Lots of people think the world is going to end and stuff--Mayan (Aztec?) calendar; blah blah.

Exhibit B:

This SHOULD be:

I think they're wrong...but then I got to thinking:

OR

I think they're wrong...but then I started thinking:

OR

I think they're wrong, but I started thinking:

Exhibit C:

A Memory of Light is going into it's later stages of being written. That is, revision and editing.
So, we know the book is going to come out late next year (gotta say next while I still can!).

SHAMEFUL. I nearly died from the horror.

Corrections:

A Memory of Light is going into its later stages of being written; that is, it is undergoing revision and editing.
So, we know the book is going to come out late next year (gotta say "next" while I still can!).

Final Exhibit:

I think...that with the end of the greatest fantasy series ever written (die, if you say otherwise! :mad:), then so to shall DM pass.

*shakes head and fixes the post*

I think that with the end of the greatest fantasy series ever written (go die, if you say otherwise! :mad:), then so too shall DM pass.

It is like a mixture of Y2K and 2012....

Please, don't let it die, Jason! :sad:

In conclusion, you have no business posting on this forum, ed2funy. Go take a language arts class and then come back when you know how to type properly.

Edited by mmeeshal, 29 December 2011 - 10:19 PM.

Posted Image

"I have galaxies hidden between my bones and I will love you until the stars burn out."

#3 Amadine

Amadine
  • Members
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

Exhibit B:

This SHOULD be:

I thing they're wrong...but then I got to thinking:

OR

OR

My bold: When one is going to correct other's posts, one should check what it is that they themselves are posting first... :tongue:

Edited by Amadine, 29 December 2011 - 10:21 PM.

Posted Image

#4 mmeeshal

mmeeshal

vas hapnen commitment *high note*

• Members
  • 57,820 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Exhibit B:

This SHOULD be:

OR

OR

My bold: When one is going to correct other's posts, one should check what it is that they themselves are posting first... :tongue:

Likewise, Miss Amadine. Likewise. "They" and "themselves" are pronouns referring to multiple persons, and "one" is clearly not a multiple number. Your grammar is atrocious.

Posted Image

"I have galaxies hidden between my bones and I will love you until the stars burn out."

#5 ed2funy

ed2funy

Galactic Emperor

• Members
  • 33,097 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

*sniffs*
You nitpick, nutty squirrel.

As I made this post in about ten seconds - was in a hurry - it is only right that there are errors.

Also.........

*throws nuts at her*

Also, Ama has many people in her.

#6 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,339 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

The whole Mayan Calander 2012 is just a misunderstanding blown out of proportion by conspiracy nut cases and fake scientists wanting to make a quick buck on the next doomsday fad.

Fact of the matter is, the mayans didn't even really believe the world would end 'physically' but more of a wheel-of-time end of an Age type of 'end'. Course, many cultures have had 'wierd' anddown right odd beliefs, it could easilly be that the mayans 'believed' the world could end phsyically, inorder for some other change to come in, and the world to be litterally 'reborn' again. Beliefs are strange that way.

But as for DM dieing after the last wot book? That is actually a very good possibility. we always see DM's population wax and wane with book releases. Unless Brandon Sanderson keeps up with the prequels and postquel (I just made that up to annoy the above Grammar Nazis... Nazii?). DM does really have a real possibility of dieing in.. as you put it.. 2012, though more like 2013 giving at least 6 months (oct 2012 estimate for memory of light release) for interest in the series to wane, but even then, Probably at least 2 or 3 more years after that... 2015, 2016 unless its revived by a defibilrator by the name of Brandon Sanderson..

gallery_6827_296_97964.jpg

#7 ed2funy

ed2funy

Galactic Emperor

• Members
  • 33,097 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

Ironically, SinisterDeath agrees about DM dying. :sad:

#8 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,339 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Ironically, SinisterDeath agrees about DM dying. :sad:

Just look at What was the Seanchan, and how much trouble the artists/writers/crafters guild has had the last couple of years and you can see why I see it happening eventually.

That is, assuming Brandon Sanderson doesn't write more wot books (but I can easilly see this forum going towards anything Sanderson writes.

#9 Hiarthbeorn

Hiarthbeorn

The Oddly-eyed One

• Members
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:24 AM

Exhibit B:

This SHOULD be:

OR

OR

Likewise, Miss Amadine. Likewise. "They" and "themselves" are pronouns referring to multiple persons, and "one" is clearly not a multiple number. Your grammar is atrocious.

Again, you are wrong on a second and plausibly a third account, Miss Mmeeshal. "They" can be used in both the singular and plural numerical, but, in the curious instance of The Honourable Lady Amadine's example, "they" can be used as the third person singular as an indefinite pronoun where the logical gender is unknown. As she used "one" in the singular, "they" is acceptable in the same sense. This is a tradition which dates back to the fifteenth century and, while I am lazy and detestable and cannot be bothered to provide specific instances, I will not have you ride rough-shod over our fine mother tongue. In the likely case further clarification is required, I refer you to that authoritative and contradictory work Wikipedia.

Regarding the plausibly third error, "themselves" is, in fact, used correspondingly as the third person plural either emphatically, reflexively, plurally, dialectally, or after-a-prepositionally. The correct (or, as we like to say, what sounds most sophisticated is plausibly the most correct if only for our own egotistical edification) way for THL Amadine to have used themself/themselves would have been in the third person singular emphatic: they themself (though the non-standard "they themselves" is equally acceptable in some dialects.) Neither you nor The Honourable Lady Amadine can be faulted for assuming the positions taken.

For clarity and cheerful hobsnobbery, an example has been generously provided below.

"When one must correct another's post, one should check what it is that one oneself will post first."

It is regrettable that such a fierce tone must be employed, but, as they say, dulce et decorum est pro matria lingua mori. And remember, the passive voice must not be used. Tally-ho! Excelsior! WHY IS ALL THE RUM GONE?!

Posted Image

“This is the rule of our Mysteries: Nothing Divulged to the Uninitiate: the Supreme is not to be a common story, the holy things may not be uncovered to the stranger, to any that has not himself attained to see." - Plotinus

#10 ed2funy

ed2funy

Galactic Emperor

• Members
  • 33,097 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:28 AM

:laugh:

#11 Hiarthbeorn

Hiarthbeorn

The Oddly-eyed One

• Members
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

I fully expect to be flamed into oblivion. I accept this graciously.

Posted Image

“This is the rule of our Mysteries: Nothing Divulged to the Uninitiate: the Supreme is not to be a common story, the holy things may not be uncovered to the stranger, to any that has not himself attained to see." - Plotinus

#12 Amadine

Amadine
  • Members
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:35 AM

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love it!!! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#13 Ithillian

Ithillian

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

• Members
  • 29,065 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:00 AM

I think there must be similar sites based around tLotR. That series was completed forever ago, and yet it still seems to have a number of fans.

Or do you believe that tWoT have no longevity and interest will simply fade away once it is complete?

Given that some of our members are in their early teens and so did not begin reading the first books till long after they were written, there will always be new visitors to Randland and they will search and find us. Thus it has always been and the wheel will keep on turning.

@Eddie - Stop panicking you total girl.

Posted Image

Double Bonded to Turin Turambar Posted Image
~ 97% sweetie pie ... 3% adorable evil ~

#14 Hiarthbeorn

Hiarthbeorn

The Oddly-eyed One

• Members
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

As far as Dragonmount's shelf-life goes, it has been around been since 1998. Fourteen years is an extremely good run for a fansite. Hell, I came back after disappearing for eleven years. Most fansites can't claim that sort of shelf-life. If the Wheel of Time has any sort of legacy after it's completed, that legacy will rely on the readership of it's fans. Not only is the Wheel of Time read, reread, and re-reread by fans and new readers alike, these are books which are lived in. Readers can find a niche within Randland that they identify with and, so long as other fans out there manifest the same shared-world behavior, there will still be roleplaying fansites. I think this is basic nerd psychology.

But if it comes to pass that DM empties out and interest wanes, then let it die gracefully because I like to think something better will have come along.

Posted Image

#15 Ryrin

Ryrin

Green Sitter

• Members
  • 9,754 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

As far as Dragonmount's shelf-life goes, it has been around been since 1998. Fourteen years is an extremely good run for a fansite. Hell, I came back after disappearing for eleven years. Most fansites can't claim that sort of shelf-life. If the Wheel of Time has any sort of legacy after it's completed, that legacy will rely on the readership of it's fans. Not only is the Wheel of Time read, reread, and re-reread by fans and new readers alike, these are books which are lived in. Readers can find a niche within Randland that they identify with and, so long as other fans out there manifest the same shared-world behavior, there will still be roleplaying fansites. I think this is basic nerd psychology.

But if it comes to pass that DM empties out and interest wanes, then let it die gracefully because I like to think something better will have come along.

This is what I'm afraid of. I just came to the series accidentally (Eye of the World in a book club) within the last year and I would hate to see DM die.

I understand Sanderson has said he would not write anymore into the series but I sure see a gap from the time Moiraine bonded Lan (New Spring) and the 20 years they were searching before they found Rand in Emonds Field (Eye of the World.)

Posted Image

#16 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,339 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

The LOTR fansites staying around though, is simply not that true though. Prior to the movies, there may have been a few around, after the movies, they bloated out, but i bet you'll find now that most of those sites are dieing, or dead... They'll bloat out again with the new hobbit movie.

#17 bgrishinko

bgrishinko

Stop trying to pronounce it: Call me BG.

• Members
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

I don't think it will die off completely. Might lose some of the 100% WoT oriented people, but the community here is pretty good and it is a fun place to socialize with others who have a common tying interest. Assuming of course we aren't all dead in a flaming ball of fire.

P.S. I still miss Wotmania. May DM never die.
Posted Image
BG: a mafia type pokemon usually hunts in packs with other mafia type pokemon. Use extreme caution! Special attacks include Night Kill, Word Twistery, and Deceit. - EP
www.kritpetty.com

#18 Red2111

Red2111

DM's Red Headed Step Child

• DM - Staff
  • 14,943 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

*cough* who let the grammer nazi's out of the dungeon again?? flamming White Cloaks, can't trust them to gaurd a flea

*grabs a random torture utensile and stalks off to the dungeon to give that git of a white cloak a talking to*

Edited by Red2111, 03 January 2012 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

siggies by: Ama, Mashi, Frog, Ithi, and Boopsy <3 u all

#19 Hiarthbeorn

Hiarthbeorn

The Oddly-eyed One

• Members
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

Madam, I am not a grammar Nazi, and, in my defense, I had quite a lot of rum that night and felt a festive humor come over me. Leave the poor Whitecloak alone lest you inflict irreversible damage to his sexual autonomy. Heaping indignities upon dullards, indeed!

Posted Image

#20 Jemlin

Jemlin
  • Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

Here is the deal.
Lots of people think the world is going to end and stuff, Mayan (Aztec?) calendar, blah blah.

We know the world is supposed to "end" at the end of next year.

I don't believe the world is going to end.

A dear friend of mine told me that he seriously believed the world would end in 2012. He claims he believes what the fake scientists report. I asked him if I could have his shoes. He didn't get the joke.

To be honest, I think I barely get the joke.

:biggrin:
"One can be dead in life, or one can be alive in death."  -James Carse