DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fremen vs Aiel

paetric

thank you for not disappointing me :baalzamon:

but you were in no danger... why do people always think that?

very nicely composed post, loved the AV, and the nod to the games.

yes, i think the BG and AS would be an excellent place to go.

i do disagree with you on a few points, but i won't argue them right now.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PiotrekS

Ok, when you feel like it I'll gladly listen to your arguments :smile:

I definitely have to re-read the Dune series - in fact, I've probably read only three books from Frank Herbert and two or three that were written by his son with Mr. Anderson. There is definitely too much exploitation of Frank Herbert's legacy by his son imho, although one the books wasn't so terribe, I have to admit.

Guest PiotrekS

Maybe it's the grandson, I don't know.

I agree that it is pretty low what they are doing to Dune with this mass production of mediocre at best books.

I guess you think there is too much direct similarity between Fremen and Aiel?

no, i'm wrong, it's Byron Merritt whos the grandson, also a "writer." he runs a lot of the promotion for the new books.

yeah, i think based on the specific ways they were handled, fremen and aiel, and the timing of the books, and Dune's position in the sci fi universe (ie something that could in no way have been ignored, or could have failed to have been a major influence on any sci fi fantasy writer of the day), the lift was directly from Dune and not a parallel thing.

there's more than just desert warrior arab culture at play here. also in need of re-reads, and not a quote monkey, so i can't express this properly.

but the fact that RJ claimed the aiel were based on american indian culture(s) and gave them red hair really puts the lie to the whole thing. it seems to deliberately paint a false face on what in most other ways is a straight lift.

Archived