• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 jenniferl

jenniferl

Balrog of Love

• Administrators
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

And I will personally ban anyone who can't bring themselves to be respectful. Darrell was a warm and caring human being, who loved his wife and children and worked hard to fulfill his contracts even when he was sick. I am in complete and utter shock over this.

http://www.tor.com/b...sweet-1934-2011

I also Chair JordanCon, blog at Northside Food and am the President of the Southern Fandom Confederation.

I've disabled my PM box. You'll need to email me if you have an issue. jennifer@dragonmount.com

#2 jenniferl

jenniferl

Balrog of Love

• Administrators
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

One of my proudest memories is of Dragon*Con 2005 when we had both DKS and Jordan as guests. I got to spend time with both of them that weekend. I'd been hoping to have Darrell at JordanCon 2013 to help us celebrate the completion of the series, but hadn't contacted him yet.

I also Chair JordanCon, blog at Northside Food and am the President of the Southern Fandom Confederation.

I've disabled my PM box. You'll need to email me if you have an issue. jennifer@dragonmount.com

#3 Mrs. Cindy Gill

Mrs. Cindy Gill

Basel's soft brown kitty

• Members
  • 66,170 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

god rest his soul.

Posted Image

Bonded, Bound, and Wed to Basel Gill

#4 Basel Gill

Basel Gill

Brown Ajah Head, ex-M'Hael, Black Ajah Chosen

• Members
  • 13,920 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

RIP, Mr. Sweet. He will be missed.

Does anyone know what books the images in the linked article are from? I knew the WoT illustration at the top, but that was all I recognized. The second one might be from a Maurice Sendak book, because the central creature sure looks like a Wild Thing to me. The third one looks like something out of LotR, unless I miss my guess.

Edited by Basel Gill, 05 December 2011 - 05:21 PM.

Posted Image

Wedded and Double-Bonded to Mrs. Cindy Gill | Mentor to The Bard Babe

Doctor Who Mafia

#5 charlieblue47

charlieblue47
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

Wow... I know that some people had a problem with some of his work but it was his cover art on EOTW that really convinced me to read the book...and the rest was history. I hope he got enough of the cover of AMoL done for someone else to finish..Not because Im worried about the book, but he deserves to have his work on the culmination of this series. God rest his soul, and The Last Embrace of the Mother Welcome Him Home.

#6 Mrs. Cindy Gill

Mrs. Cindy Gill

Basel's soft brown kitty

• Members
  • 66,170 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

that's what got me to read eye of the world, too. it's a great cover.

Posted Image

Bonded, Bound, and Wed to Basel Gill

#7 GB

GB
  • Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

RIP DKS
And with hope gone, flickering on the edge of consciousness like a guttering candle flame, she did something she had never done before in her life. She surrendered completely.

Saidar flowed into her, filled her.

(Mashiara, A Crown of Swords )

#8 jenniferl

jenniferl

Balrog of Love

• Administrators
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

His covers always proclaimed "This! Is! FANTASY!" *cymbal crash" in a very distinctive way. It was like a brand. You knew exactly what you were picking up. That style of art got pretty dated in recent years, but I've always enjoyed it's blatantly cheesy retro-ness.

#9 Kadere

Kadere
  • Members
  • 14,373 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

I've always been a fan of every single one of his WoT covers, and have always stood by them as being the most quintessential fantasy cover around. Before I even read the books I used to pick them up and stare at the covers, and looking at them I knew this was something I wanted to tackle when I was older cause whatever story could demand covers like this, I wanted to read.

I don't know what state the AMoL cover was in when he died. I know we had something rough at least. I really hope that they still use it and have some one touch it up, cause the idea of having some other artists cover on the finally book of this series, kind of makes me sick.

RIP Darrell, I hope to see you and RJ together some day, but not yet.
Posted Image
"Besides you must remember the old saying. Let the Lord of Chaos rule." - Mazrim Taim
~married to elmindreda, MsDanya, and Arien~ ~Kait's mouse~

#10 BelRobin

BelRobin
  • Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

his thomas covenant covers drew me to fantasy i always looked for
his art on new books.i missed a chance to see him last year at
keycon in winnipeg.peace be with his loved ones.

#11 WWWwombat

WWWwombat

Maréchal Général des Camps et Armées du Village

• Members
  • 14,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

RIP. I don't particularly care for a couple of his covers, but most of them are very good and I think the stuff Jen said about what kind of person he was matters a lot more.

I also hope that my copy of AMoL has something of his on it.

Edited by WWWwombat, 05 December 2011 - 06:19 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Guest_PiotrekS_*

Guest_PiotrekS_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

It is thought provoking that both RJ and Mr Sweet did not live to see the end of the series they, at least in some degree, co-created for so many years.

When you were able to leave behind something creative and good, no matter if popular or not, something that will enrich other people's lives when you're already gone - you suceeded in your life.

Edit: Looking at Tor page, I have to say that some of the covers shown there I like much more than his WOT covers. It seems the more fantastical the scene, the better his cover would be.

Edited by PiotrekS, 05 December 2011 - 06:36 PM.

#13 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 17,331 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

Rest in Peace Mr. Sweet. Your work will last forever. You will be missed.

Posted Image

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#14 Sakaea

Sakaea

Gamer 'til I die

• Members
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

Rest in peace.

His art for WoT was amazing. A truly epic artist.

I find it very sad that he was with WoT from the very beginning, and just like RJ, he didn't live to see the end :sad:
Posted Image
Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah & Far Dareis Mai of the Aiel.

#15 Muad Cheade

Muad Cheade

Death, the destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

Regardless of how one feels about the covers, they are an intrinsic part of the series. The PoD cover remains one of my favorite book covers ever.

Is there any word on the cover of A Memory of Light?
Bashere shrugged, grinning behind his gray-streaked mustaches. "When I first slept in a saddle, Muad Cheade was Marshal-General. The man was as mad as a hare in spring thaw...Once he had a grove of oaks chopped down because they were looking at him. And then insisted they be given decent funerals; he gave the oration. Do you have any idea how long it takes to dig graves for twenty-three oak trees?

#16 Agitel

Agitel
  • Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

Rest in peace.

#17 Guest_Emu on the Loose_*

Guest_Emu on the Loose_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:59 AM

In all my time lurking and posting on this site I had never read one kind word about Darrell Sweet. It's too bad that this beautiful show of support comes too late for him to appreciate. Let it be a reminder to speak up in your life when you still have the chance to make a difference.

He drew some good covers. Bon voyage, old timer.

#18 Chriswot

Chriswot
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:52 AM

My respect and condolences to Mr. Sweet and his family. Hope to see you in TAR or when the horn is blown! Rest in peace good sir.
Rand turned to leave the empty chamber. "Guard this place no more," he said to the Defenders. "There is nothing here of worth. I'm not sure if there ever was."

#19 Kate

Kate

Blue Aes Sedai, Former Damo House Head, Aiel FDM

• Members
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:11 AM

Terribly sad. :/

RIP Mr. Sweet.

I love the WoT covers. I've spent a decent amount of time just staring at them and examining each little detail. To me, they were just a part of the story.

Also, to those asking about the aMoL cover, the article linked above says:

I’m particularly sad that he was unable to finish Memory of Light, the final book in Robert Jordan’s epic fantasy series the The Wheel of Time.

So, that's the only word on it I've heard so far.

#20 Malveth

Malveth
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

I'm devastated.

I spent my childhood gazing at his book covers, which more often than not, were on library books or on the shelves of bookstores, books I could not own because my family was so poor. I used to save every piece of loose change I could find until I had the $3.00 minimum required to purchase a sf/f paperback. Needless to say, what often recommended a book to me was a cover by DKS. Many worlds, to my inner eye, were art-directed by Sweet. For me, his versions of the Tolkien characters are almost archetypal; his cover to The Two Towers perfectly captures the deep quiet and emotion of the scene it depicts. Sweet's covers were often far more enjoyable than the stories they illustrated [Jordan being the obvious exception!], Sweet provided splendid images for many a hack novelist's tired prose. The publishers well knew that many readers would buy a book entirely based solely on the exciting image provided by DKS.

Some of my all-time favorites:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My all-time favorite:

Posted Image

When I was a child, my grandmother gave me a Sicilian marionette of a Knight. It was my favorite possession. I loved that Aragorn looked like my knight on the cover of Fellowship...and I still do :)

Posted Image

Edited by Malveth, 06 December 2011 - 07:31 AM.