America the Battlefield

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Graendals favourite

Graendals favourite
  • DM - Staff
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

this sounds slightly naughty to me, I think legal text should mean exactly what it means. Though I am certainly not a lawier even in Finland.
Nobody has ever measured,
even poets,
how much a heart can hold.
---Zelda Fitzgerald

#22 Guest_PiotrekS_*

Guest_PiotrekS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

this sounds slightly naughty to me, I think legal text should mean exactly what it means. Though I am certainly not a lawier even in Finland.

Yeah, that would be perfect but it is sadly impossible. The words allow for too many meanings and every posible case the law will be applied to is impossible to foresee when the bill is drafted.

#23 Haxorsist

Haxorsist
  • Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

Actually, legislative intent is considered a far more important source of law in the Scandinavian legal systems than in most other countries. Usually, the (Scandinavian) legislators want to keep the statutes brief and not overly complicated. This makes them easy to read and you get a pretty good idea what the law is if you're a lay person. This means that the language isn't always very precise, so for the finer points you have to consult the preparatory works.
Posted Image
Vi er så få her i landet, hver fallen er bror og venn.