DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Unfortunate Meeting

charisdelphi

Charis hurried quickly towards her room. She had spent the day running errands for an Aes Sedai, which had basically kept her running all day. She had woken before dawn to hurriedly clean her room and scrub the floors, having neglected it the night before as she got into bed exhausted from a lesson. She had managed to finish her breakfast and was looking forward to the relatively peaceful day of scrubbing floors when the Aes Sedai had swept into the kitchens and scooped her up. She had lost track of how many flights of stairs she had climbed, in both directs, how many messages she had delivered. She had even been sent into the Warder's yard briefly, which had earned a hard glare from the Warders training there, but fortunately not a reprimand thanks to the message she sent, and the reply she carried back. She had only been given leave to eat a quick meal at supper time, and was scolded harshly for dawdling when she returned. Each time she left she hoped it would be the last message, the last errand, but the Aes Sedai always instructed her to return. She found herself cursing the day her father had laid eyes on her mother.

Finally, well past regular curfew, she had been curtly dismissed. She had bitten her tongue, curtsied, and now found herself rushing towards her bed, hoping not to be called out for being out of the novice's quarters so late. She was only barely paying attention, the only other people about were the servants, to whom she thankfully did not have to curtsy. She was intent on her goal, her hard bed seemed like the softest feather down mattress that would have ever graced a palace in her mind just then. She knew she would have to wake early to begin her chores again, but just then her only thought was of bed and sleep. She blinked, and found her eyes did not want to open, feeling the way back almost by rote. She forced her eyes open and rushed around the final corner, the last hallway that led to the novice's quarters. She was nearly there.

She hit something solid she had not seen in her rush, and found herself on the ground, the breath knocked out of her. She gasped slightly for air, and looked up into the face of a very perturbed Aes Sedai. Sucking in air in shock, she scrambled to her feet, ignoring the pain in her elbows which had, of course, hit the hard marble floor, and dipped into a quick curtsy. Cursing her luck.

“Pardon me, Aes Sedai.” She said, still fighting for air. “I apologize for my clumsiness.” The other woman had of course not been knocked down at all, and did not seem ruffled in the least. She did look angry, and Charis found her eyes glued to the floor and her tongue firmly attached to the roof of her mouth. She forced herself not to shake, after all she had really done nothing wrong, and waited for the Aes Sedai to dismiss her.

Charis Delphi

Novice of the White Tower

Edited by Charis Delphi

Kathleen wound her way through the streets of Tar Valon on her way back to the Tower. She didn't often go out to the city, and when she did she was not usually out so late, but she had to blow off some steam and she couldn't do that in the tower as well as she could wandering the city streets and sipping at drinks in the taverns. It was getting late by the time she made it back to the tower and she was ready for sleep. She had a long day and she was looking forward to it ending. Her head was pounding and though the fight was long over she was still harbouring some anger from the altercation.

Sometimes she didn't mind fighting. It wasn't often anyone would actual argue with her let alone have a full blown fight. So when it did happen Kathleen usually found some entertainment in it. Still there were very few people who would truly lay into her, but her warder would. It was part of the reason she chose him. This time the fight was not entertaining. As annoying as it was, the man was entitled to his own opinion.

When she entered the Tower the halls were all but bare. It was well past the novice and accepted's curfew, and by this hour most of the Aes Sedai would have long since retired to their own rooms as well. Kathleen was lost in her own thoughts going through the argument she had earlier, trying to see if perhaps she had been wrong, as her warder had tried so adamantly to convince her, as she blindly made her way the halls.

Kathleen didn't know what had happened as the novice plowed into her. It was all she could do just to stop herself reaching out to embrace the source. Years of training had made it quiet a quick reflex, but it wouldn't do to have her look jumpy from a Novice. As the girl climbed off the floor Kathleen caught her own breath. She had managed to steady herself as the girl hit her, but the collision still hurt. The girl curtsied and sputtered out a half apology. On a different night Kathleen probably would have let the girl run off, she would have saw the accident as just that and let the girl off lightly, but this was not another day. The girl was out of line on a number of accounts, and Kathleen was ready to snap at anyone who tried her patience.

She stared down at the girl and stilled her voice, "You apologize for being clumsy? Clumsy is what you are claiming this is it? Clumsy is dropping a dinner tray that isn't quite balanced. Clumsy is tripping over your feet. What you did was not clumsy. Even if clumsy was what had happened, apologizing for being so is not the same as apologizing for your actions. I could apologize for using sadiar if I were to whip you with air, but that would not be apologizing for whipping you, now would it? If you're going to apologize, do it for the unacceptable actions you made, not for your natural ability to allow your actions to happen. Clumsy is an excuse for why you plowed into a Sister in the halls, it is not a suitable apology. And I believe that your speed in the halls, and a lack attention to where you were going and to your surroundings has a lot more to do with how you ended up crashing into me and landing on the floor than simply 'being clumsy'. Would not you agree?" Kathleen kept her eyes drilling into the girl as she waited for a reply.

Kathleen Vandiar

Angry Green Aes Sedai

Charis felt her insides melt at the other woman's obvious anger. Light! She hadn't even knocked her down! Charis felt something snap inside, an almost audible sound in her ears. She had a sudden flash of herself bowling headlong towards the Aes Sedai, pulling out her hair, tearing that perfect dress. It was a satisfying imagine, but she pushed it down. She had no idea what the penalty would be for attacking Aes Sedai, and enough logic remained to her tired and angry mind not to want to find out. She could only hope she school her face enough that her anger didn't show.

Charis had meekly accepted whatever task she had been given until that point, and after five years in the tower had yet to make a trip to the Mistress Of Novice's office for any sort of punishment. Some of the other novices sniggered behind their hands at her, but she ignored that as easily as she had ignored her brother's teasing. Sure, a good beating might build character, or so the Aes Sedai seemed to believe, but Charis had always shied away from confrontation of any sort, which would have been required to outright disobey an order, and so she had avoided any such reprimand. But tonight, tired from running to and fro at some woman's whim, sore from the fall, looking forward to another long day of chores, she realized she didn't really care if she was punished. She only wanted to ruffle that Aes Sedai serenity, even just a little.

She forced her eyes off the floor, he tongue had loosened all on it's own. Looking at the Aes Sedai she felt a moment of shock, the woman's eyes were burning into her, and she felt her knees turn a little into jelly. Then she took a deep, steadying breath, and received another shock. Surely that wasn't ale she smelled? From an Aes Sedai? She found her courage again.

“Forgive me Aes Sedai.” She said in a calm clear voice, her face a mask of composure. “I do hope I haven't interrupted your evening too much, and shall endeavor not to do so any further. Perhaps in the future we should both be more careful, lest someone be more seriously injured.” She curtsied again, breaking eye contact. She strode past the Aes Sedai, knowing she had crossed a line. She hadn't really meant the last line as a threat, but realized after the words were out of her mouth that it could be taken as such. She also knew there was no way anyone, let alone an Aes Sedai, was going to let that one slide. She managed a steady calm pace as she waited for the other woman's reaction. She had her hand on the door into the novice's quarters, and was beginning to feel safe, when the Aes Sedai spoke.

“Forgive me Aes Sedai. I do hope I haven't interrupted your evening too much, and shall endeavor not to do so any further. Perhaps in the future we should both be more careful, lest someone be more seriously injured.”

The girl bobbed a curtsay and then tried to leave. Kathleen only wanted to go to her rooms. She didn't want to have to pursue this, but after the girl's responce there was no way she could just let her leave.

"I did not dismiss you, child." Kathleen called as the girl reached for the door to the novice quarters. Kathleen took a deep breath as the girl walked back to her. So much for relaxing and enjoying my night.she thought as she readied herself to talk to the girl.

"You have interrupted my night, and any amount of interruption is more than you ought to do to a Sister's night. Perhaps in the future you shouldn't be running through the halls of the White Tower after curfew. Perhaps in the future you should be more mindful of your surroundings, and keep closer care not to charge into an Aes Sedai. You were in the wrong here, child. Take responsibility for your actions. I should not have to worry about Novices running through the halls at any hour, but certainly not this late. If you had been moving at the pace you are instructed to than you surely would have been able to avoid the collision. Be accountable for your actions, child, and remember your place. If you can not control your actions and emotions, and if you cannot admit when you are in the wrong then you certainly will not get a shawl of your own. This Tower has standards, and just because you spend some time here does not mean that it will forever be your home. It is, however my home, and while you are in it you will show more respect for myself and my sisters."

Before the girl could speak a work, Kathleen finished the conversation. "The Mistress of Novices will be asleep at this hour. I did not appreciate your presence tonight, and I doubt she would as well. You may go to your bed now child, but first thing when the sun comes up, before you're morning meal, you are to report to her study and tell her what occurred tonight. I will be speaking with her myself, so for your own sake, tell her the truth of what happened tonight. Take responsibility for your actions. From breaking curfew, to running in the halls, to speaking so terribly out of line to a Sister. And don't forget to mention your trying to pass the blame of your actions on to a false inability to control yourself, and when that didn't work, passing the blame onto the Aes Sedai you plowed into. Perhaps you will get lucky and she will be in generous mood. Now, you have taken up for more of my night than I appreciate. Now you are dismissed."

Kathleen didn't wait to hear a word from the girl, if she was smart she would keep her mouth shut at this point, and if she wasn't smart Kathleen didn't want to listen to the girl's smart remarks. She quickly walked away from the girl toward her own rooms and didn't wait to see if the girl went to her own rooms.

Kathleen Vandiar

Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah

Charis bobbed a quick curtsy in case the Aes Sedai bothered to turn and look, then walked sedately through the door into the Novice Quarters. She found her room, got dressed for bed and crawled under the covers. She closed her eyes but found she couldn't sleep, despite her exhaustion. So, she should take responsibility for her own actions should she? And the Green? She had been rushing through the halls late as well, and what was she doing hovering near the Novice quarters. And suggesting she needed to control her emotions? Certainly Charis knew she had snapped, but Light it was one bloody slip, although the other woman could not be aware of this. Bloody Aes Sedai, she thought. Charis forced her mind away from the incident, despite knowing what was coming in the morning, and finally found sleep. She woke in the morning, and dressed neatly, heading to the Mistress of Novice's office. She knew there was no point in trying to avoid it, and besides which she had bloody earned it! She walked sedately, her face a calm mask, and knocked on the door firmly.

After she had been strapped she walked back to the dining hall, and sat down, somewhat gingerly. She had not cried during the beating, but she was fighting tears now. A few of the other novices asked what had happened and she explained her story briefly. They were all shocked that she, mild mannered Charis had sassed back at an Aes Sedai, and a few commiserated over her punishment. Some even whispered that it was unfair, but only after checking over their shoulder that no one could hear them, which only irritated her. She snapped back that she had broken the bloody rules and had been punished accordingly. She went about her chores after breakfast, doing her best to ignore the pain in her backside.

She had been instructed to visit the Library after lunch, and after a quick wash in her room she headed down their, doing her best not to rush. She always looked forward to her time in the Library, the smell of so many books, and the promise of knowledge they held always fascinated her. One of her teachers, a Yellow, had been after her to read some of the texts on healing, since she had begun to show a proficiency in Spirit. She was surprised when the texts the Aes Sedai had suggested to her included methods that did not include channeling, and one focused solely on herb-lore. She almost lost herself in the books except for the pain when she sat, which reminded her of the Green she had encountered the night before.

She was reading about a herb that loosened a persons bowels, which apparently could be beneficial although Charis couldn't see why. She stopped reading, trying to puzzle it out, but instead a new idea came to her. The herb was readily available, in face she was certain the plant it came from grew in the gardens. Gardens she had access to. A plan formed, and she had to fight to keep a satisfied smile from forming on her face. She finished her reading, took her notes and headed up to supper. The other novices eyed her warily, and she forced a serene expression onto her face.

It was a few days later, after she had been able to secretly gather the herb, and cut it up in her room into small enough pieces that it would not be noticed, that she was able to put her plan into action. She had been assigned to work in the kitchens, and had taken a small pouch of the herb with her in case the Green asked for dinner. She heard a novice place an order for the Aes Sedai, waited until the girl had turned her back to get a glass of wine, and sprinkled the herb covertly into the soup. It dissolved almost immediately, and Charis quickly went about her own duties. No one seemed to have noticed. She fought to keep a grin off her face, only wishing that she could be there to see how the Aes Sedai handled the situation.

Charis finished in the kitchens, ate a late supper, and scurried off to bed, disposing of the rest of the herb. She knew the Aes Sedai would not be permanently harmed, and would only experience moderate discomfort. Charis knew the action had been childish, but since everyone in the tower called Novices children she decided she was entitled to a moment of childishness. She allowed her self a small smile of satisfaction in the darkness of her room.

Kathleen sat in her room filing through the pile of paperwork she had been neglecting. She had a report she was supposed to submit weeks ago when she returned to the Tower from her last mission. Her Head would be after her for it soon, but last thing she wanted to do when she got home from that venture was sit down and write it all out. It was bad enough she had to do the mission, but now she had to detail it out. Not that there were many details. She had traveled to a remote village following a lead that turned out to be obsolete. Still the report needed doing. On top of that there were new letters to read and old ones to reply to. She had wished she could take a break and go down to the dining hall to eat her meal, but if she ever wanted that paperwork done she'd have to buckle down and do it.

She heard someone walking in the hall and was pleased to see it was a novice, empty handed heading out of the halls. Kathleen called her over and asked the girl to bring her up a meal. She did take a small break while she waited for the tray to try to ease the strain on her eyes. Light but they were sore. When the girl returned Kathleen gave her a smile and thanked her for the extra trip. She told the girl not to worry about taking the tray back when she was done, she'd need a proper break when she was finished. The girl gave a quick curtsy and was on her way.

Kathleen slowly returned to her desk with her meal tray with her. Can this day get any worse? She thought as she looked down at her pile of papers, still not even half completed. She didn't pay much attention to what was on her tray as she ate it, but soon enough it was all gone. Thank the light! Now as soon as I finish this letter I can finally leave this room..if only for a few moments. She concluded the letter and sealed it up. Then she gathered her tray and headed down to the kitchen to return it.

As she walked through the halls her abdomen started to ache. Kathleen let out a forced breath and pressed on. But as she got closer to the kitchens the pain grew more. She tried to calm her self and ignore the pain but it only increased. She was fighting off sweating and no matter how hard she tried to fight it off she knew she was going to be sick. But why? She knew she had been bored, but sick? Not like this. She tried to reason out what could have caused this to come on. She had spent the night in a sick woman's house when she had been traveling, but that was weeks ago, there was no way it would have presented itself now. Surely if she had been infected it would shown sooner. She looked down at her food tray and realized it was the only option. But why was no one else looking so ill? Surely at least some of the people she passed in the halls had eaten by now. As she thought back on it, the soup had had an unexpected taste. She had that same flavor of soup many times, but this time it tasted slightly burnt. Burnt soup would not have made her feel like this though. She would get to the bottom of this.

No matter how hard she tried to keep herself composed her body was not going to let her. As she made it to the dining hall Kathleen knew she only had two options. She took off into a full on run to the back of the kitchen to the toilets. She could hear the shear shock of the people in the dining hall to see the aes sedai running through the room. As she was finally relieved she only felt worse and she was dreading having to face the people waiting for her return. She tried her best to look dignified as she existed the stalls but she only got partially through the kitchen when she turned and had to rush back to the toilet.

She was fuming when she came out again, feeling like there was nothing left to her. Who had done this to her? Who ever it was would pay. Surely the girl she had sent to get her meal wouldn't have done anything to it. She wouldn't have had the time, motivation or means to do anything to it. That only left the people working in the kitchens. As she walked through the kitchens she stopped by the girl scrubbing the dishes and asked who had been on duty with her in the last few hours. Most of the names meant nothing to her, but when the nervous girl got to Charis' name the image of the girl who had run into her in the halls sprang to mind. It had to be her. This was some prank! That girl would pay!

As Kathleen stormed off to find the girl she could hear the girls in the kitchens burst into laughter. If she had been feeling better, and wasn't so determined to find the naughty novice who did this to her, she would have stormed back in there and said something to those giggling girls, but she was on a mission.

It wasn't long before she saw Charis hunched over, with her back to the aes sedai, on a tiled floor. Kathleen assumed she was scrubbing it, a good way to find her, but certainly not punishment enough. "Child," Kathleen's voice boomed with anger, "Come here at once and explain yourself. And do not dare try to pass the blame to anything other than your own motivation. You know exactly what I am talking about, as does everyone in that kitchen and the dining hall, thanks to you. Now, what do you have to say for yourself?" Kathleen stood up as straight as she could and crossed her arms in front of her. The girl was lucky once again that she herself was not the Mistress of Novices. If it was up to her this girl would be doing the worst of penances and doing it for a long, long time.

Kathleen Vandiar

Even more Angry Green Sister.

Charis had received the letter after lunch. Her mother was worse, and her father was preparing to bring her to the tower for healing. But he feared she would not survive the journey, and said as much in the letter. She supposed he was trying to prepare her for the worst, but she felt sadness and fear. She had accepted that she might never see her mother again when she came to the Tower, true, but this was different. She had thought her mother would live a long life, and that her death would be sometime in the future. Now, she feared she would not see her mother again, because she would be dead. No catechism could comfort the pain she felt at that thought.

She was nearly late to her chores as she had sat and read the letter again, looking for a sign of hope. She had not run, the encounter with that wretched green had taught her better, but she rushed nonetheless. She set to scrubbing the floor with a vigor, but her mind was left free to wander. The journey to Tar Valon from Camelyn was long, even in the carriage her father was attempting to procure. And not only that, her mother was weakened by the illness, and required medicines to control her fever and her pain. And she was only getting worse.

It wasn't fair, Charis thought as she scrubbed on hands and knees, it wasn't fair that people should have to die! Especially not like this! She knew the thought was childish, and foolish besides, but there it was. She felt tears flowing down her cheeks and couldn't summon the energy to stop them, although she did manage to keep from sobbing outright. She heard footsteps behind her, and tried to control her expression, and failed, treacherous tears kept falling and she knew her bloody face would be all red. She looked up and saw the green, Kathleen Sedai, standing before. She was very angry, that permeated even the usual Aes Sedai calm. This would have been enough on it's own to make a novice jump, and an accepted would have blanched as well.

But that wasn't what Charis noticed first. She saw the woman's pale face, and the circles forming beneath her eyes. She was ill, and Charis knew it was her fault! Because of some stupid childish thing she had done, this woman was ill! She barely heard the other woman's angry words, demanding an explanation, all she could think of was her own mother sick. And how she would feel if someone had done that to her! Her tears stopped in shock at her own actions.

“Aes Sedai” She squeaked. “I...I..I'm so sorry! It was so stupid!” Her tears began again. “I never thought you would be so ill, only..No!” She stopped again, she would not make excuses. She would not! “Please, Aes Sedai. I accept whatever punishment you deem worthy. I should never have done it, should never have even thought it. It was thoughtless, you could have died!” She thought again of her mother and found herself gulping for air. She realized she hadn't even stood to make a curtsey, and found she couldn’t move. “I'm....I'm sorry!” She said between sobs. She couldn't speak anymore, she could barely breath. She waited for the other woman's response, struggling to control her emotion.

Charis Delphi

Very apologetic Novice of the White Tower

Edited by Charis Delphi

“Aes Sedai” The girl squeaked, then her voice began to shake as she continued and Kathleen noticed the girl's wet cheeks. “I...I..I'm so sorry! It was so stupid!” The girl barely got the words out when the tears came flooding out, “I never thought you would be so ill, only..No!” The girl paused, seeming to fight with her own thoughts, “Please, Aes Sedai. I accept whatever punishment you deem worthy. I should never have done it, should never have even thought it. It was thoughtless, you could have died!” Kathleen was shocked at how the girl was taking her confrontation “I'm....I'm sorry!”

The girl was sobbing so hard she could barely breath. This can't possibly be just about my meal. Even if she was feeling guilty about this she shouldn't be having such a break down Kathleen thought. "Come now child, control yourself." Kathleen forced the anger out of her voice until all that was left was a soothing, calm tone. "Breath with me," she ordered. In and out. In and out. She took several slow and long breaths encouraging the Novice to breath with her until girl's breathing was stable on her own.

"Now then, you can't possibly be this upset at the outcome of your little trick. You were crying before I got here from the looks of you, and I doubt it was because of what you did to me. You must have known what you were doing when you planned this. So tell me child, what has you crying so?" Kathleen stepped closer to the girl and dropped down to sit on the floor beside her. Most other Aes Sedai would never do such a thing, but it seemed easier than trying to force the girl to her feet and walk to a bench. The Green wrapped her arm around the Novice's shoulder and waited for until the girl was ready to answer her.

Kathleen Vandiar

Surprisingly Sweet Green Aes Sedai

Charis forced herself to breath calmly, although the tears never quite stopped. She was surprised when the Aes Sedai sat down beside her on the floor, more than surprised really. She did as the woman asked, breathing deeply, he head spinning at little at first. She was surprised to hear the anger melt out of the other woman's voice, replaced by something else. Kindness, perhaps? She took a few calming breaths before answering.

“It's my mother Aes Sedai.” She said, her voice rough. “She's ill, I just got a letter today, and my father is trying to bring her to the Tower for healing, but she's so weak. She might not..” She choked off again, forcing herself to breath again. She wiped absently at the tears that would not stop falling. “It's a long journey and my father sounded worried in his letter.” She continued. She looked over at the other woman, again surprised by the kindness in her face. “I don't mean to excuse my actions.” She rushed on. “But when I saw you, you looked so..” She paused, not wanting to push her luck. “I was worried I had made you ill, and then I realized how thoughtless I had been. How your friends and family would feel if you were ill, or even...” She couldn't finish the sentence. “ And I know I should control my emotions better.” She added, remembering their first encounter. “And I will try. I promise. I should not have gotten angry with you before. And I shouldn't have been running, but it was so late I thought no one would be around and...” She realized she was rambling, and stopped herself, nearly biting her tongue. She cast her eyes on the ground again, forcing herself to be calm. She barely noticed her tears had stopped, it felt good to speak of this with someone, to apologize for her actions. She didn't speak again, lest she interrupt the Aes Sedai holding her in a way her own mother would have. She waited for her response.

Charis Delphi

Still Apologetic but now slightly less Weepy Novice Of the White Tower

As the girl told her tale of her sick mother Kathleen couldn't help but think of her own mother. She had lost her mother in a similar way, though Kathleen had been by her mother's side in her last hours. She had tried all she could to fix her mother, but that was before she even knew the White Tower was more than a bedtime tale.

"This day comes for all of us, child. Some sooner than others, but it comes eventually for all. We all have to see our loved ones go at one time or another. Even those people who don't ever become Aes Sedai have to face this. It is not easy, not now, not ever, not for anyone. The sad truth is that we few who do become Aes Sedai must see this more than any others. We must watch those we love in their last days and see generations that came after us leaving far sooner than we do. I was by my own mother's side when she took her last breath. But it was her will and determination that set me on the path to become what I am today. I truly hope that your mother gets the help she needs to overcome this illness, but child, I know it is not the illness that worries you, and I'm afraid that what does worry you will be a reality you will eventually have to face, whether it is in these next few weeks or in years to come." Kathleen wished that she could comfort the girl better, but she could not lie to her, and she would not gloss over the problem. "No matter how many years you are in this tower, no matter what amazing feats you ever accomplish, the wheel will always be more powerful, and it will always spin the pattern in the way it wills. The day you dread is coming. No matter what you do to try to stop it, it will come. There may be a way to prolong it, slow it from coming, but we can never stop it."

So much for comfort, Kathleen thought. "Child, your mother will always be with you, whether she's truly with you or not. For five years now you have not seen her, but you still feel for her the way you always have, correct? You still know everything she taught you, and that will never change. She is your mother no matter where she is, and not even death can change that. Just because you do not get to see her every day does not mean that she is not with you in every choice you make and every action you take. You will know what she would have wanted you to do and as long as think of her, she will forever be with you."

Kathleen wished she could have been more comforting, telling the girl that it would all be alright and that she had nothing to worry about. But the fact was, this was a legitimate fear, and it was one the girl would be faced with at some point in her life, even if her mother was to get well now. Kathleen was a Green, they always saw death more than others. Perhaps she was not the best one to talk to in these hard matters, but she hoped the girl would see that all she said was truly said to help her.

"Child, I know your father will do all he can to ease her pain and get her to the Tower for help. I'm sure that if the Yellow's get to her they will do all they can to see her through this. If you would like, I could try to see that a party gets sent out to find and heal her. It could cut out some travel time for her to get here, but there would be no guarantee they could find her in time. If you tell me their likely route to the Tower I can see that at least one Healer is sent to her aid. Still, this would only be a temporary measure. We all must go at some time, she cannot out run death any more than anyone else can."

Kathleen Vandiar

Apparently not good at comforting..sorry!

Charis continued to force herself to breath calmly as she listened to the Aes Sedai speak. Yes, the words might seem harsh, but they were comforting at the same time as well. In a way it just felt good to have someone to speak to about this, someone who understood that life could be harsh, and yet still cared. She found herself nodding as the other woman spoke, her tears drying up. She would survive this, she knew, no matter how it would hurt. That was what her mother would want, and if she never saw her again she knew it was true her mother would always be there with her. In her heart.

“The Wheel weaves at the wheel will.” She murmured, mostly to herself when the other woman stopped. She took a deep breath as the reality of the situation came back to her. She was on the floor she was supposed to be scrubbing, and she still had more to read in her book of herbs, which nearly caused her to burst into a gale of hysterical laughter. “Thank you Aes Sedai.” She said softly. “I apologize for being so emotional, and I thank you for your kindness. Especially after..” She trailed off, blushing furiously. “I must have greatly inconvenienced you, and on top of whatever else you deem necessary I want to volunteer my next free day to help you in anyway you chose. If...if..” She became uncertain again but made herself continue. “If you want me to.” She finished. She smiled weakly at the other woman, who's color was slowly returning to normal. “It's the least I should do.” She added. She looked over at the bucket, knowing she needed to return to her chores, and waited for the other woman to speak.

Charis Delphi

Very Comforted Novice of the White Tower

Kathleen was relieved to see that she hadn't just sent the girl into another fit of tears with her words. Some would have had more sugar in their spoon, but the honest truth was always more helpful to her so its what she often used with others. This girl had been through a lot in her time as Novice. She would know that life has it's hardships, but Kathleen knew the girl was strong enough to be faced with the truth and make it out. She only hoped the girl knew the same.

When the novice had taken a moment to soak in all that the Green had said she thanked her, then softly and honestly said, "I apologize for being so emotional, and I thank you for your kindness. Especially after..” The girl cut herself off mid sentence and as her eyes shifted down to her feet her cheeks began to show red. She tried to correct carry one, while avoiding what happened. She wasn't denying what she did, just clearly trying to avoid saying it. “I must have greatly inconvenienced you, and on top of whatever else you deem necessary I want to volunteer my next free day to help you in anyway you chose. If...if..if you want me to. It's the least I should do.” The gave a weak smile as the color slowly left her face.

Kathleen tried to keep her tone soft, though she knew her words had to be harsh, "What you did was terribly unacceptable, not only for the illness you caused me, but for many other reasons. I do not know how you came into possession of whatever is that you used in my meal, but I'm certain that you did not explain how you planned to use it to anyone, or surely you wouldn't have received it. That I cannot over look. But I do believe that you truly do regret your actions. And I do hope that is enough punishment for you to truly learn the error of your action and deter you from causing similar havoc to anyone else. Should I find out that you do not take my leniency kindly, or that you have tried such a stunt again, I can assure you that your punishment will be suitably strict for both accounts. But I think that you have been well and truly punished by your own emotions. All that I ask of you, is that you tell whoever gave you the substance that made me ill, that you took it with the intention to use it against an Aes Sedai. Tell them that you are being punished for it but do accept what ever punishment they give you for misusing their substance. If you have any left return it. If, after that, you still feel you owe me something, then I will accept your offer to help me on your free day." Kathleen gave the girl a sympathetic smile. If she could have let her just forget about this she would have, but Kathleen was almost certain the girl had stolen some herb off of another Aes Sedai, and she could not know about that and let the girl go free from that crime.

Kathleen smiled at the girl, time for another lesson. she thought as she spoke again, "Child, we have emotions for a reason. There is a difference in not letting them control your actions and in trying to deny them or ignore them. Your emotions should always be felt and you should pay attention to them. Often times they will be all you have to help you know what you need to do. They can be a very useful tool and even save you. Not just your life, but the true personality you have. It doesn't take much to loose your individuality and softness in the journey to Aes Sedai. Hold onto your emotions and learn to feel them, and use them, with out letting them use you. You will be a better person for it when you can achieve that. There is a time to let yourself break down and there is a time to hold yourself together. Just because you shouldn't let them show, doesn't mean you shouldn't feel them. Keep that in mind as you work toward becoming Aes Sedai, and in all you do in your life."

Kathleen stood up off of the the hard floor and just resisted moving her hand to the pain in her back. "Now, where do we stand on that mission to find your mother? Do you want a team sent out? I could have it arranged to leave in the morning, if not sooner. I just need to know where to head and a description of both of your parents. And child, if you need someone to talk to about these hard times, or any other struggle you come across, I'm sure the Mistress of Novices would gladly speak with you and help you through." Kathleen winked at the girl before adding, "If she is busy, my door will always be open to you."

Kathleen Vandiar

Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah