DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Returned Home

Rasheta Ardashir

OOC: If you are following this is after the Menagerie thread.

IC:

Taia was coming back from Tar Valon and her favorite common room she had dressed herself for the occasion as she had missed going to see familiar faces. Tonight, she was wearing a pair of green earrings and a green jeweled necklace to go with her eyes. Her dress was a little more conservative then she usually wore and she had tied her hair away from her face. Her hair was tousled now she had danced quite a bit with the men who frequented the room. It had been fun, she had invited Mia, but Mia had other things to do tonight so she had not come with her. Taia needed to drag Mia out more her friend could do with some time off from tower busniess. Maybe someday before they went on there next trip they would go out to one of the taverns, if they went out again Mia had been a bit more silent since Taia had almost died. Taia frowned but then smiled again as she got close to the tower.

Taia nodded to the men on the gate that she recognized, they were used to her and smiled back. She went around toward the warder barracks it wasn't so late that someone wouldn't be up and playing a game, or having a drink. When she got there though she paused outside and listened to the laughter and suddenly she felt a little sad, which wasn't a normal reaction for her. Maybe seeing the warders was a bad idea today, she had almost died recently and she would need to bond again, so she should really spend more time with them. Now though she just remembered her two who were gone. She turned away from the barracks and the laughter she heard within.

She had been the most subdued when her warders had died, but her naturally sunny nature had come back to the outside world in a short period of time. She tended to bury her emotions deep, she had since she was a child, well besides with Mia. Mia was the closest Taia had to family, she never had been able to hide her distress or anything from Mia. It was odd to think about but Mia had been there through much of Taia's time in the Tower and had always known what to say or what to do in order to keep Taia from going mad. Mia had figured out fairly early on that Taia's smiles and laughter generally were to cover that she was lonely. Taia had only been close to her father and he had died when she was eight. Her brothers and sisters were not nice, and her mother had enough to worry about without Taia around. It had been a blessing when the Aes Sedai had come and taken her away. Now that Taia was Aes Sedai she continued to be lonely. She had the Greens of course and she was loyal to her Ajah, but she had never had anyone that she could really talk too. So she had cloaked herself in her smiles, laughter and flirtatiousness. Which was one of the big reasons Rasheta Ardashir didn't like her. Rasheta was far to serious and of course in love with her warder, which made Taia smile but never around Rasheta. Taia just couldn't be that serious she'd lose herself she was pretty sure. She had to be happy for go mad, of course Mia understood that and mostly she let Taia do whatever she needed to do. Sometimes though Mia forced the more serious side out of Taia. This last trip had been one of those times, although Taia had been on her own for some of it. She smiled remembering Viktor and his lady. Mia had been quiet on there way back to the tower, or more so then she usually was. Taia thought that it was because she had almost died, she had found out that Mia had seen it happen. Which probably had Mia thinking about her life ending, maybe Mia was worried about having to watch Taia die. Taia was worried about the reverse if she lost Mia she would be devastated more so then she was when her warders died. Taia made up her mind she was going to find Mia when she saw her friend coming toward her. Taia blinked in surprise and walked toward her friend smiling.

"Mia, I thought you were too busy. Were you worried I wouldn't come back tonight?" Taia laughed and then noticed that Mia wasn't smiling. Taia inwardly sighed when Mia didn't even crack a smile something was very wrong. "What's wrong Mia? You've been quiet since we got back to the Tower.

• 3 months later...

The flames in the street lamps flickered in the soft breeze, casting shadows along the walkaway. It was late, way past the Last Bell. Stone pathways leading to the Tower remained empty, the children all snugged in their rooms, and all the Sisters with sense locked away in theirs – plotting Creator knew what. The guards at the gate peered ahead, their gazes as sharp as eyes could be without the enhancement of the One Power. Tension strummed through them as they saw the dark, hooded, lone figure draw near. Half the men snapped a hand to their belts. The other, more experienced guards kept their hands where they were, but were wary all the same. Miahna smiled grimly, recalling the Tower Guard ceremony where she’d approved Grisham for service.

Throwing back her hood, she settled the guards with a blank stare, allowing every pair of eyes to peruse her ageless face. The young ones visibly relaxed; only sharp eyes could tell as the older men did as well. Her feet whispered softly over the cobblestones, the special boots she wore broadcasting their expense to any who paid attention. She nodded to the men as she walked closer, murmuring a thank you for their service. One looked familiar and he nodded back to her, thanking her for hers. He had been at Grisham’s ceremony as well, she recalled. I wonder if he recognizes me.

I hope they are always as sharp and alert as they are now, she thought to herself as she glided over the pathway. Her gritty eyes told her it was time to sleep, but the Blue merely stifled a yawn and broke off the wide path. The grass whispered as she strode through it, taking the shortest route rather than the pathway provided. Aesthetics over usefulness. Happens everytime. One dark braid slipped loose and the tiny bells at the end rang through the night. She almost started at realizing that the silence from her bells not tinkling had been setting her on edge. Well, more on edge than she’d been from just the Eye report.

A person came into view as Miahna stepped into the dim lighting at the outskirts of the Warder barracks. “Taia?” she asked, frowning. It was difficult enough to pull her Warder away from whatever he was enjoying inside – dice and camaraderie by the sound of it – she hadn’t planned on ruining Taia’s night as well. The Green had barely survived the last encounter; she didn’t need to be miring through the Darkfriend slop again already. Any other Sister and her feeling would have been completely opposite, but this was Taia.

Taia’s hushed tones carried over the breeze to the Blue. She arrived in front of her friend as the Saldaean was finishing her statement. "Mia, I thought you were too busy. Were you worried I wouldn't come back tonight?" Taia laughed and then noticed that Mia wasn't smiling. "What's wrong Mia? You've been quiet since we got back to the Tower.” Miahna scrubbed a hand over her face and paused for a moment before regarding the other woman.

“It’s a never ending quest, Tai,” she said heavily. “And everyone I love is hurt in the process.

…I got a report from one of my confidants upon returning to the city. Tessa was here.” I'm just lucky you were with me at the time, or she would have found a way to take you too. Miahna finished in her head, tilting her head up to look at the sky as she did so. The Green would not have appreciated the idea that she couldn't take care of herself.

“It’s a never ending quest, Tai,” she said heavily. “And everyone I love is hurt in the process."

Taia frowned, what was Mia trying to say? While it was true Taia had been hurt in the last battle did Mia think that no one would be hurt before Tarmon Gai'don ? Taia had a good idea that most, if not all, the Greens would die there. Taia had a feeling she would. The Yellows would be over taxed to heal the ones they could, but Taia planned to be in the center of things and for that she was positive that nothing short of a miracle would save her. She sighed inwardly, guess it was time to get a warder. She glanced backwards at the barracks, and then pulled her attention back to Mia intending to say something to calm her friend down but Mia wasn't done.

…I got a report from one of my confidants upon returning to the city. Tessa was here.”

Taia's face fell, yes she knew what that would mean to Mia. Her sister had been in the city. She frowned harder wouldn't the girl be dead by now? It had been a long long time since Mia had been home. Taia did mental calculations, she and Mia were over 100 now, was someone playing with Mia by continuing to send her notes after her sister was dead? Did something happen to the girl and she was granted long life? Maybe the girl could channel, but that would mean she was a wilder and usually they did not survive the first channeling. She had so many questions, but she knew Mia wouldn't want to talk about it. She softened her voice as she took in her friends appearance.

"You were planning on leaving without even telling me." She made it a statement instead of a question. "You are like my family, I know that it is not as close as blood, and you must take care of this, let me go with you." Taia would probably hunt Tessa down herself were she to succedd at killing Mia and then Taia would allow the loneliness to overtake her and she would not survive in the tower without going mad herself. Mia kept her sane, it was possible in time a warder might take over that job but as it was she needed Mia to keep herself alive. Taia realized this thought process made her sound pathetic, but as long as no one else knew she would be the same frivolous person she had always been. She looked up at the sky for a second then said quietly.

"My near death worried you, you think Tessa would come after me." Taia sighed, "Did you think that she will anyway? Maybe she wants you to leave on your own so she can get to me." Taia shook her head. "I am not helpless Mia you know that. You cannot allow her to rule your life anymore. She will come for you when she's ready. Why do you feel the need to seek her out? She must be near death by now."

She could tell Mia was going to argue. Inwardly she sighed, it was going to be a long chat.

Edited by Rasheta Ardashir