DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Question of Virgins

HighWiredSith

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She should step down as Amyrlin before she gets married. The Amyrlin Seat is clearly a position that requires one's full devotion and attention and should not be occupied by someone preoccupied with a husband and this idea of having a normal family life. Being Amyrlin requires certain sacrifices. However, Egwene seems to be power hungry and ambitious it's unlikely that she will step down. She's pretty much told Gawnyn he has to knuckle under and submit to her authority if they are going to have any future together. She needs to make the choice - husband or the Amyrlin Seat, but she'll want both and think she can have both.

Not sure if RJ ever intended this, but...Egwenes views on sexuality is obviously a result of the culture she was raised in. Emonds Field seems to be a lot stricter than most other places, which would explain her attitude towards having a good time between the sheets with Gawyn.

By having that attitude, she shows that she has not completely cut all bonds with Emonds Field, there is still something inside her left. And if there is something significant about it, I think this is it; at the core, the girl from EF still lives on.

Well, she did have sex with Gawyn when she was caught in his dream, your call whether that counts... :biggrin:

She should step down as Amyrlin before she gets married. The Amyrlin Seat is clearly a position that requires one's full devotion and attention and should not be occupied by someone preoccupied with a husband and this idea of having a normal family life. Being Amyrlin requires certain sacrifices. However, Egwene seems to be power hungry and ambitious it's unlikely that she will step down. She's pretty much told Gawnyn he has to knuckle under and submit to her authority if they are going to have any future together. She needs to make the choice - husband or the Amyrlin Seat, but she'll want both and think she can have both.

WTH? There are countless examples of people nowadays and throughout history who have hold really important and demanding positions and were really successful at their job while married.

Well, she did have sex with Gawyn when she was caught in his dream, your call whether that counts... :biggrin:

WTH? There are countless examples of people nowadays and throughout history who have hold really important and demanding positions and were really successful at their job while married.

Indeed, I don't understand the reasoning at all. In addition I've never bought the whole "power hungry" label. If she was focused on personnel ambition and power like Elaida that may be the case, but she has consistently been shown to have reform of the WT and the greater good in mind. She is by far the best person for the job as Amrylin. There is zero reason for her to step down.

Now whether she is misguided in putting all her faith in the WT and in thinking AS are best able to guide the world towards that greater good is a different conversation entirely.

Gawyn was raised as a Prince. Literally his entire life he has been subservient: first to Elayne, then Galad, then Bryne during basic training, then Hammar, then Elaida, etc. That's part of the character's character. And Egwene is open enough and cares enough about Gawyn that I don't think she would make this a major point. While she would have the upper hand in the relationship (wear the pants, so to speak), she wouldn't intentionally do anything to widen that divide and Gawyn is comfortable in this role. Greens succeed at marrying/not remaining celibate with their Warders and there have been Amyrlins raised from the Green Ajah. At some point, it seems logical to assume the two have overlapped.

Gawyn was raised as a Prince. Literally his entire life he has been subservient: first to Elayne, then Galad, then Bryne during basic training, then Hammar, then Elaida, etc. That's part of the character's character. And Egwene is open enough and cares enough about Gawyn that I don't think she would make this a major point. While she would have the upper hand in the relationship (wear the pants, so to speak), she wouldn't intentionally do anything to widen that divide and Gawyn is comfortable in this role. Greens succeed at marrying/not remaining celibate with their Warders and there have been Amyrlins raised from the Green Ajah. At some point, it seems logical to assume the two have overlapped.

she has already made that a major point of contention between them

Is Egwene the last virgin of the main group of characters? Wonder if that's significant?

Well, I still think that Moiraine is a part of the "main group of characters". And as far as I remember there is no implication towards her ever having any sexual contacts up to date. (The possible exception is with Siuan in her capacity of "Pillow friend"). There was a talk with Siuan about Moiraine's first kiss in NS, I think, but they both came in the WT very young. And after that their lives were dedicated to one man only - the Dragon Reborn. Well, Siuan has strayed a little from this path, but Moiraine is another story. She has married Thom, but I don't think they will have sex soon. She is neither physically capable, nor willing to have sex right now. And she will not be until the Last Battle is over.

Guest PiotrekS

That could be messy... :biggrin:

Eggy deserves her own foursome after all. Maybe that's the key to ensuring her harmonious cooperation with Rand - she wouldn't feel treated unfairly bacause Rand has Aviendha, Elayne and Min and she's stuck only with Gawyn :tongue:

Guest PiotrekS

why, piotrek, you've lowered the tone.

i'm so proud. :myrddraal:

Cindy, you mean my posts in this thread do not seem to be very sophisticated and the humour contained therein is not particularly clever? :tongue:

How is that the change? :smile:

Guest PiotrekS

no, i meant they were naughty. which is a change. very nice.

exceellnt thread title.

job done.

:biggrin:

I can be pretty naughty sometimes, believe it or not :tongue:

This thread definitely needs more naughtiness!

Archived