DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Great Hunt 2011

Sid

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a lil earily for this dont yah think unless the book is going to be out sooner than we all think.

I was thinking that...............

yah didnt the last one we did come out only a few months before TOM came out. So maybee spring 2012 is going to be the date. right around my birthday. and what a great present that would be

I swear he had a POV in TGS, didn't he? Right before Rand almost killed him with balefire?

Anyway, I went to the brandonsanderson.com/thegreathunt and I typed in "Tam" as one of the answers. I'm not sure if it was right or not, but 1 of the clues has been unlocked. I didn't see if it had been unlocked already or if I unlocked it with "Tam" as the code. I should've paid better attention.

I swear he had a POV in TGS, didn't he? Right before Rand almost killed him with balefire?

Anyway, I went to the brandonsanderson.com/thegreathunt and I typed in "Tam" as one of the answers. I'm not sure if it was right or not, but 1 of the clues has been unlocked. I didn't see if it had been unlocked already or if I unlocked it with "Tam" as the code. I should've paid better attention.

i might of unlocked it with In The Two Rivers all i know it is a 1 with a comma lol

Ok, so I can confirm both that this is not indicative of the release date [in the sense of the previous wotgh being a prelude to the release of ToM--this 'Geat Hunt' has nothing to do with the release date], and that the hidden material is not a chapter from AMoL. The reason this Great Hunt is occuring now is that Brandon is on tour for the Alloy of Law release, and can therefore distribute clues across a wide area. Currently, Brandon is not revealing what the hidden material is, other than the fact that Terez attained confirmation that it is not chapter titles, as was the case with the last wotgh.

Thanks for the confirmation Luckers! I assume many of the chapter names haven't even been written yet, as I believe Harriet does those. Also, I assume they don't yet know the exact final order of the book chapters that have been written since the editing process hasn't really started yet.

So, should we make this the "official" thread for tGH?

Before the release of ToM, when Brandon went on tour for The Way of Kings, he hid "clues" in books in bookstores and airports across the country. Those "clues" were names of titles of the yet-to-be-released Towers of Midnight. When we went to Brandonsanderson.com/thegreathunt and typed in those found clues into that page, if it was correct, it would unlock parts of some text on that page. After like 25 or so clues were found, we not only got to know many of the chapter titles early, but we were treated to a sneak peak chapter of ToM that we unlocked as a fan community for finding and inputing the clues on his site.

Nobody knows what the clues will be this year, but it looks like they will probably unlock a sneak peak section of AMOL!

Part of the fun last year was that we made long lists of "failed attempted" guesses (because some of RJ's chapter titles are a bit predictable now that we're all familiar with his style). Sometimes a guessed attempt (without actually finding the physical clues) would work and would unlock text on BWS's page. It was fun as a fan community to try and guess the answers to chapters. There were several threads filled with failed chapter name attempts.

Ah ok, thanks for explaining!

Given that this is an electronic age and given that Brandon keeps in close contact with Harriet and Maria, I wouldn't say that the editing process has not started yet. Brandon has been sending in material right along and Charleston has been sending back suggestions, corrections, and directives in return.

How much of the already edited stuff Brandon has already incorporated into the manuscript as it presently exists is unknown, but the final editing, proofing, and beta reading won't take as much time as some of you seem to be thinking.

Brandon originally said that March 2012 was his goal for publication. Given that he's now at 90% of the first draft and will be working on incorporating the ~10% that Jordan had already written while he's on tour, I wouldn't bet that AMoL will miss being in the bookstores by March by very much, if at all.

Ah ok, thanks for explaining!

Given that this is an electronic age and given that Brandon keeps in close contact with Harriet and Maria, I wouldn't say that the editing process has not started yet. Brandon has been sending in material right along and Charleston has been sending back suggestions, corrections, and directives in return.

How much of the already edited stuff Brandon has already incorporated into the manuscript as it presently exists is unknown, but the final editing, proofing, and beta reading won't take as much time as some of you seem to be thinking.

Brandon originally said that March 2012 was his goal for publication. Given that he's now at 90% of the first draft and will be working on incorporating the ~10% that Jordan had already written while he's on tour, I wouldn't bet that AMoL will miss being in the bookstores by March by very much, if at all.

That was the case with THE GATHERING STORM and TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT, but it's not how they're doing A MEMORY OF LIGHT. Instead, Brandon is writing a complete draft and then doing a revision or two before sending a polished draft to Team Jordan on December 31st (and that will be the first draft they see). This is more like Robert Jordan's process; he never showed anything to Harriet until it was finished. This does mean editing and revision will take longer, but rushing TOWERS caused a ton of headaches and stress, and Team Jordan and Brandon all want to avoid that this time. They have to get things RIGHT in this final book.

This does mean editing and revision will take longer, but rushing TOWERS caused a ton of headaches and stress, and Team Jordan and Brandon all want to avoid that this time. They have to get things RIGHT in this final book.

You have no idea how stoked I am to hear how Team Jordan are going about things...hope they take all the time needed to make this the best book possible!

1. Those who participated last year are familiar with the ### things. They're basically stand-in characters for whole words.

2. The code thingy works. You just have to be careful with it. Also, we don't know what to guess yet since we don't know what the first code was.

That was the case with THE GATHERING STORM and TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT, but it's not how they're doing A MEMORY OF LIGHT. Instead, Brandon is writing a complete draft and then doing a revision or two before sending a polished draft to Team Jordan on December 31st (and that will be the first draft they see). This is more like Robert Jordan's process; he never showed anything to Harriet until it was finished. This does mean editing and revision will take longer, but rushing TOWERS caused a ton of headaches and stress, and Team Jordan and Brandon all want to avoid that this time. They have to get things RIGHT in this final book.

So speaketh he who is closest to Brandon and his creative process. One who knows what's going on rather than one who is guessing like me.

If Harriet isn't going to have anything in her hands until December 31, then it may well be mid summer before we have anything on store shelves. Hopefully sooner, Brandon has had two experiences with how Harriet wants things voiced already, so this "polished draft" should be a bit more polished than the first two were.

Thanks for letting us in on this much of the process, Peter.

Is someone creating a list where we can all plug in our guesses/clues so that everyone knows what has worked versus what has not worked? Last year, Theoryland had a great tool (2010 Great Hunt Tool), but it is currently not activated for 2011. This tool is useful so we don't have to scroll all over the place in various posts on different websites to find what has been tried.

Also, is someone creating a document that keeps track of all the tweets/blogs from Brandon/Peter and the clues (2010 Great Hunt Document)?

If these documents/tools are created, I would pin it to the top of the bulletin board so everyone can easily go to it.

Also, I have tried the following:

The Dragon

The Winds of Time

Night and Day

Memories

Early Warning

Is someone creating a list where we can all plug in our guesses/clues so that everyone knows what has worked versus what has not worked? Last year, Theoryland had a great tool (2010 Great Hunt Tool), but it is currently not activated for 2011. This tool is useful so we don't have to scroll all over the place in various posts on different websites to find what has been tried.

Also, is someone creating a document that keeps track of all the tweets/blogs from Brandon/Peter and the clues (2010 Great Hunt Document)?

TL looks like they're still getting up to speed just as much as everyone else, this hunt was announced and deployed rather quickly. It's probably going to take a little bit to get their super-cool tool back up. For now this thread is as good a place as any to post guesses, TL also has a sticky thread now. Right now we're still waiting to find out exactly what the first code was so we can determine the natures of the codes.

The codes can't be chapter titles since we don't even have "chapters" yet -- they could be hypothetical titles though. Logically, the codes also can't be anything that we can just look up and try en masse. I was thinking something obscure like minor character names, words in the old tongue, snippets of prophecy or other quotes from the books, sword forms, maybe Mat's curses, but none of that will work because we'd be able to guess all of those in 3-4 days tops. Brandon's book tour is quite long and he's going to be spending a lot of time in the UK so I'm sure they've thought out a way to keep us from revealing everything before all you British WOT fans get a chance to get in on the fun. I am sure they're expecting us to be able to guess at least a few of the codes, though. It's also possible there isn't any pattern to the codes, but just a bunch of WOT-related phrases they liked.

Archived