• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eternal Phoenix

Eternal Phoenix

Modest Mouse

• Members
  • 11,927 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:17 AM

I've been listening to Haru Yo Koi and Eternal(evanescence) as well as Only the Fairytale from Mai Hime lately to bloom my ideas. If anyone has any other good ones please add them, I'm always looking for good music to write to.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Kathleen

Kathleen

ACW GL, FL ADL, WT RP RGL

• DM - Staff
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

I just listen to what ever is on. I do like back ground sound, but I haven't been writing long enough to really think about it, or find if one styles helps me get in the mood better than another. I wish I could be more help!

rotationAug2014_zpse3051918.gif

ACW Tuathan'an Camp GL ~ Freelanders ADL ~ White Tower RP RGL

SG Bonded to Karasayl ~ Souvra Bonded to Lily, Myst, MillsRashi & HalliaRP Bonded to Elessar

#3 Hiarthbeorn

Hiarthbeorn

The Oddly-eyed One

• Members
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

When I write, I need to minimize distractions and focus my thoughts. I don't like writing to music that is too demanding or frenetic so I'll typically listen to ambient and dronology.

- Boards of Canada - "Geogaddi" is an evocative album.
- Deep Listening by Paniaotis, Dempster, and Oliveros - three artists suspended themselves inside an empty fourteen foot deep water cistern and played with echo resonance.
- Arvo Pärt - some of his compositions (especially Arbos) are too demanding. His sacred minimimalist works are excellent and I'm often moved to tears by them. Litany, Kanon Pokajanen, Tabula Rasa, or Alina are all fine pieces.
- Jóhann Jóhannsson - a composer from Iceland. IBM 1401 is a little unusual on your first listen but it's calming.
- Ghost in the Shell soundtrack - I won't give a blank endorsement of Kenji Kawai's work since I'm not familiar with it in the same way I am Arvo but, I do like his work.
- Machinarium soundtrack - Tomáš Dvořák. This is a point-and-click puzzle video game, which requires the background music have a seamless quality to it for replay. Dvořák did some other electronic work under the pseudonym Floex.
- Dungeon Siege soundtrack - More game music. It isn't seamless but instead fades in and out of your conscious attention. Some of the action sequences are jarring so I crop them out of the playlist.

There are other albums that are more specific to the moods and tone of my work and I'm hesitant to suggest them because they are so far off the beaten track. I'm also lazy and don't want to hunt them down.

Posted Image

“This is the rule of our Mysteries: Nothing Divulged to the Uninitiate: the Supreme is not to be a common story, the holy things may not be uncovered to the stranger, to any that has not himself attained to see." - Plotinus

#4 Eternal Phoenix

Eternal Phoenix

Modest Mouse

• Members
  • 11,927 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

I just listen to what ever is on. I do like back ground sound, but I haven't been writing long enough to really think about it, or find if one styles helps me get in the mood better than another. I wish I could be more help!

Generally you would want something that ties into the scene you are writing, think of it as filming a movie and trying to plug the best songs into the background possible like when I finally decided how I wanted the dance to go for Fire of Life the perfect song just poped in from Fate Stay night's Unlimited Bladework's movie track 2 (I think the song is actually titled Unlimited Bladeworks but I could be wrong)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 fearless-freak

fearless-freak
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

i find some Blind Guardian and Manowar helps

#6 Taei

Taei

Writer

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

I'm a musician, so music in the background grabs my attention and I start listening and stop writing. Silence is best for me, but then again silence can be hard to come by.

Taeisiggy.gif
Red Sash of the Kin

#7 Drekka Mort

Drekka Mort
  • Members
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

I'm a musician, so music in the background grabs my attention and I start listening and stop writing.

Im the same. I get a lot of inspiration from music but thats more in a way of brainstorming. I start thinking of what kind of scene would fit the music in a film, which puts new pictures in my head, rather than putting them into words.

That being said, I listen to music before I write. If theres a song that reminds me of a scene in my book, I'll listen before writing it.

Edited by Drekka Mort, 10 January 2012 - 01:25 PM.

Do it Drekka! Show no mercy! 

#8 Captain Jani

Captain Jani

Wait...what?

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

I can't do any task that requires concentration with music playing. It's too distracting. I either listen to music or write. (Like Taei and Drekka, I am a musician.) Sometimes I use a white noise generator (with earphones) to mask annoying ambient noise (like music playing when Im in a coffee shop). This often works better than earplugs. I have a little app on my phone that generates white, pink, or brown noise! It can be a real lifesaver! And it only cost 99 cents!

http://simplynoise.com/

Edited by Captain Jani, 19 April 2012 - 04:11 PM.

Posted Image

Master Sergeant - Infantry, Band of the Red Hand / Silver Knight of the Light Faction / Dedicated of the Black Tower

Siggies by Dors Maherally, Songstress & Boopsy

#9 The Bard Babe

The Bard Babe
  • Members
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

Ooh, that's a great idea Jani!

However, despite being a musician I find that having music while I write is often very helpful as long as it's not too intrusive. I find it influences the mood of my writing and so I often use it as a tool to help me write in the right type of mood.

Generically however, I tend to listen to Sigur Ros and the Unthanks. Sigur Ros is an Icelandic band, and they'll probably weird you out on first hearing, but are great. The lead singer Jonsi also has a self titled album which is just as good.
The Unthanks are a couple of girls from England and are pretty folksy, but I get a lovely relaxed, homey feel when I'm playing them-they're what I use to write fantasy. My fantasy girls, if you will. :wink:

SiggySigwithBrownAjaness.gif                   
                                                                Banded to Starrik &  Bonded to Nya  

Do you live in the UK? Do you wanna see me and Nya? Then this is the link for you!

#10 Jaedan Edhel

Jaedan Edhel
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

I do find it helpful to listen to the sort of music the character whose POV I'm using would listen to. Although sometimes, I also use music that's in the same 'mood' as the writing I'm doing.

IWW2013SigJaeden-Edhel_zpse7505c45.gif