DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why has Rand angered Egwene on purpose?

Randommer

I think that's where rand comes in. The process of pushing the DO back through the bore.

And also speeding up the healing process of the pattern will be another major task. Remember the pattern is made out of souls and rand is a taveren. So it's another issue.

But yeah that crux of it. Prison has to be remade to it's original position. And for that to happen the hole lanfear created should be closed off by the pattern. And for that to happen, The DO needs to be bitchslapped back into his hole.

Taveren speeding up the healing of the pattern would explain why Mat and Perrin are so crucial.

The question is what does Rand push the DO back into his prison with. I doubt the DO would let him wield the TP against him, and I doubt Rand would use it anyway. Callandor must play a part somehow.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's where rand comes in. The process of pushing the DO back through the bore.

And also speeding up the healing process of the pattern will be another major task. Remember the pattern is made out of souls and rand is a taveren. So it's another issue.

But yeah that crux of it. Prison has to be remade to it's original position. And for that to happen the hole lanfear created should be closed off by the pattern. And for that to happen, The DO needs to be bitchslapped back into his hole.

Taveren speeding up the healing of the pattern would explain why Mat and Perrin are so crucial.

The question is what does Rand push the DO back into his prison with. I doubt the DO would let him wield the TP against him, and I doubt Rand would use it anyway. Callandor must play a part somehow.

during mins readings she comes across a quote that says "all that he is can be seized" in reference to rand using callandor at shayol ghul I believe. so the two females are required to keep control over rand while the DO seizes rands body. Then Fain comes in and stabs rand, and in essence the DO

cracked up theory. It's actually much simpler than that.

Since you present no evidence as to why my theory is "cracked up" nor any to support your own supposedly contradictory statement regarding TEoTW, I'll ask you to avoid the rude and confrontational behavior. I'm not attacking your theories, you don't need to do the same to mine.

In short, no need to get unpleasant. I am not your inferior, nor is blowing everyone off as "squabbling" warranted.

As far as the theory goes, I think it's entirely reasonable to conclude that if the Dragon really is "one with the land", then having the toxic presence of the Dark One permanently sealed into the land is a Really Bad Idea, and even if the reconstruction of its prison were successful, is simply begging a repeat of the First Bore in an Age yet to come.

And so, once the seals are destroyed and the patch taken off, which allows the pattern to heal itself, who, or what, forces the DO back through the bore long enough for the pattern to heal? And does the pattern heal itself so quickly, or would someone need to help it?

I think it's the land that needs to heal, not the Pattern. The Pattern is simply a byproduct of the lives that exist upon that land. For that healing to take place, the wound needs to be cleaned (removing the seals and patch), the cancer (DO) removed, and the infection (Blight) cleansed. With the DO gone, trees will flower and the land flourish. Of course, the Dark One's may love the idea of leaving his hole in the ground, but where that leaves him after being removed from the hole is in question. Does it (DO) discover that freedom simply removes it from the Pattern, is it a creature to be destroyed, or is it dispersed into the bodies of its devotees, to dance in their skins? Perhaps all of the above?

Rand's not sure he's going to survive the LB.

He wants his Dragon's Peace and he wants it badly. He's threatening to destroy the world if it doesn't go through.

The AS want something like the Dragon's Peace more than anything. If they back something like this, it will stay even when the Dragon dies.

Even if Rand were to survive the LB, the only way he could do this without a political power backing the agreement is to play Dragon Emperor and conqueror the world.

Also, gathering this many armies might make the Seanchan more amenable to talking again. He wants them included, he can't have his Peace without including a power that has almost half the world, and potentially can muster an army bigger than all of the westlands combined.

And so, once the seals are destroyed and the patch taken off, which allows the pattern to heal itself, who, or what, forces the DO back through the bore long enough for the pattern to heal? And does the pattern heal itself so quickly, or would someone need to help it?

I think it's the land that needs to heal, not the Pattern. The Pattern is simply a byproduct of the lives that exist upon that land. For that healing to take place, the wound needs to be cleaned (removing the seals and patch), the cancer (DO) removed, and the infection (Blight) cleansed. With the DO gone, trees will flower and the land flourish. Of course, the Dark One's may love the idea of leaving his hole in the ground, but where that leaves him after being removed from the hole is in question. Does it (DO) discover that freedom simply removes it from the Pattern, is it a creature to be destroyed, or is it dispersed into the bodies of its devotees, to dance in their skins? Perhaps all of the above?

Considering that balance and endless repetition of time are such huge themes in WoT, I find it doubtfull that the DO will ever be gone.

Considering that balance and endless repetition of time are such huge themes in WoT, I find it doubtfull that the DO will ever be gone.

I would consider the Shadow an ongoing theme, not the Dark One itself. As such, it's not unreasonable to foresee a time when Shai'tan is replaced as representation of the Shadow by something just as dark and evil... like Fain. Who is to say that the Dark One, in an Age, Legend or Myth long past and forgotten, wasn't some lowly worm who was corrupted by a more ancient power of darkness and slowly gained enough power to threaten the world?

If this is The Last Battle, that suggests to me that the Dark One as well as the Dragon is to die.

If this is The Last Battle, that suggests to me that the Dark One as well as the Dragon is to die.

But that's the thing it's the "Last Battle" for the characters, but there is nothing unique about this age.

Marcon Interview Memorial Weekend 2001- Sorilea reporting

Q: At one point in the story we see Ishamael talking to Rand, and telling him that they have fought countless times in the past, but this is the final time. Is there anything about his Age that makes it special?

RJ: No . . . Every Age is repeated, there is nothing that makes this Age any different from any other turnings of the Wheel. The Wheel is endless.

@eht slet meit

sorry mate. Was never my intention to ridicule you. Sometimes i am just too blunt with my words.

As to your theory well the flaw lies in 'the healing of the land'

It's not the land, or the blight that os the cause. You have to remember prior to the boring of the DO prison, the land was serene and beuatiful. It's when lanfear did what she did that you saw the damage being done. That is due to the DO's presence. He is the one corrupting the surrounding areas.

The hole in the DO is quite small but enough for his evil to seep through and cause the decay. To solve this issue it all goes back to shutting the breach. The breach is located through the pattern. The DO lies outside this pattern. As long as the DO is able to make his presence felt through the bore, there will be no healing of the pattern. Think of it as flesh wound. You have the skin which is the pattern. And a piece of metal which is nudged through it causing the wound. The metal is the dark one. For the skin to heal, the metal has to be removed. Then the skin will clot and heal and form a new skin over the old one.

Finally you cannot kill the DO. It's impossible. We are talking about an immortal being that was present at the time of creation. This is not some worm or padan fain wannabe. This is shaitan. His mere backlash tainted one half of the true source.

Besides the cyclical nature of the wheel of time itself guarantees his eternal life

But that's the thing it's the "Last Battle" for the characters, but there is nothing unique about this age.

Q: At one point in the story we see Ishamael talking to Rand, and telling him that they have fought countless times in the past, but this is the final time. Is there anything about his Age that makes it special?

RJ: No . . . Every Age is repeated, there is nothing that makes this Age any different from any other turnings of the Wheel. The Wheel is endless.

Wasn't Padan Fain stated to be unique to this turning and that there's never been anything like him before?

Wasn't Padan Fain stated to be unique to this turning and that there's never been anything like him before?

Sure but the same could have been said for Mordeth when he searched out the evils in the world to fight the shadow and morphed. We have word of God that nothing about this Age is different in regards to a "Last Battle" situation.

Robert jordan practically gave it away in prologue of TEOFTW.
Which comment/thought/etc?
when LTT realises that his arrogance cost him. That to fix the mess lanfear created, it needed a power greater than men. Laying a patch on the bore was never going to fix the issue permanently.
Not sure of the exact part; could you quote it?

@eht slet meit

sorry mate. Was never my intention to ridicule you. Sometimes i am just too blunt with my words.

As to your theory well the flaw lies in 'the healing of the land'

It's not the land, or the blight that os the cause. You have to remember prior to the boring of the DO prison, the land was serene and beuatiful. It's when lanfear did what she did that you saw the damage being done. That is due to the DO's presence. He is the one corrupting the surrounding areas.

The hole in the DO is quite small but enough for his evil to seep through and cause the decay. To solve this issue it all goes back to shutting the breach. The breach is located through the pattern. The DO lies outside this pattern. As long as the DO is able to make his presence felt through the bore, there will be no healing of the pattern. Think of it as flesh wound. You have the skin which is the pattern. And a piece of metal which is nudged through it causing the wound. The metal is the dark one. For the skin to heal, the metal has to be removed. Then the skin will clot and heal and form a new skin over the old one.

Finally you cannot kill the DO. It's impossible. We are talking about an immortal being that was present at the time of creation. This is not some worm or padan fain wannabe. This is shaitan. His mere backlash tainted one half of the true source.

Besides the cyclical nature of the wheel of time itself guarantees his eternal life

I'm not saying that the land is the cause, and in fact we're in agreement on a lot of that - Shaitan is the cause. The problem is that resealing the Bore with a "perfect" prison accomplishes nothing but a temporary respite. You certainly can't call it a Last Battle, because it will simply come again when It breaks free again. I mean you've pretty much just gone and used the same analogy I was using! That of a wound on the land, poisoned by the cancer within.

I'm not sure if you realize exactly what you are saying here... because it's like you're contradicting me, but not really. If the Dark One is the "metal" within the skin of the Pattern, and it has to be removed (we agree on this)... where does it go? Back inside the Pattern, sealed inside it like it was before? That's a stopgap, achieving nothing lasting. The question is, if you take It (DO) out and leave it out... which is the point of -my- theory, then what happens next? Is it cut off from the Pattern?

As for the DO being immortal, indestructible, present at the time of creation and all that, I'd like to see a Word of RJ source statement that says as much, because the DO's opinion and the fear-filled opinion of the masses don't count. Fantasy books present over and over again the trope of a near omnipotent power that by way of insanity, ego, or a thousand other reasons, thinks itself immortal and is believed to be by the people of the world. Then at the end of the story, dies at the hand of a hero, or to its Achilles Heel. In short, this sounds subjective, not objective. Source?

The problem is that resealing the Bore with a "perfect" prison accomplishes nothing but a temporary respite. You certainly can't call it a Last Battle, because it will simply come again when It breaks free again.

But that's how this world works. To quote Herid Fel...

Someone had to make it sometime. For the first time, that is. Unless you think the Creator made the Dark One's Prison with a hole and patch to begin." His eyebrows waggled at the suggestion. "No, it was whole in the beginning, and I think it will be whole again when the Third Age comes once more. Hmmm. I wonder if they called it the Third Age." He hastily dipped a pen and scribbled a note in the margins of an open book. "Umph. No matter now. I'm not saying the Dragon Reborn will be the one to make it whole, not in this Age necessarily anyway, but it must be so before the Third Age comes again, and enough time passed since it was made whole - an Age, at least - that no one remembers the Dark One or his Prison. No one remembers.Um. I wonder..."

This combined with RJ's quote in my post above saying there is nothing different about this age shows there have been many "Last Battles".

As for the nature of the DO...

Compuserve Chat 26 June 1996

Martin Reznick: How was the Dark One created, i.e. is he a fallen angel, an inherent part of the universe, etc.?

RJ: I envision the Dark One as being the dark counterpart, the dark balance if you will, to the Creator carrying on the theme, the yin yang, light dark, necessity of balance theme that has run through the books . . . it's somewhat Manichean I know, but I think it works.

Archived