DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I know the exact date AMOL 1st draft will be finished!

LemonPastie

So since Brandon likes to keep his own stats, I though I would have a go at seeing what his stats are saying too. The result I got looks something like this;

med_gallery_2303_138_57134.png

This was made on the 17/09/2011 and the curve reaches 100% 36.95 days later. This puts AMOL at 100% complete on the......

23rd October 2011!!!

I know this could be wildly inaccurate, but it gives me hope to think that he will be finished before his personal early Nov deadline.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that is just the first draft. There is still a lot of editing to do. And he said a lot of the ending is written by RJ so that could make it a bit sooner. But even if the first draft is done by then, I don't think it will be ready by March.

Im guna just throw it out there.

If this book comes out on time I will be less confident in the quality of the material prior to reading it.

Brandon is noted as being a very prolific writer, which is good for progress in terms of wordcount and deadlines and such like. But this one has a heck of a lot of buildup to it and its the last one. I can see this ending in a way that makes the release date more important than the quality of the book.

No setup whatsoever! And dont spend six pages on the Chapter 1 wind!

I remember reading Jasons review of TGS on here, and his impression was that it was a much more evenly paced book. I disagreed personally, TGS felt like half a book of nothing and then half a book of the best stuff yet. My second favorite book overall, but not evenly paced. ToM felt the same more or less, but I put that down to my personal view of no longer caring about the Mat and Perrin storylines.

Point being, spend a heck of a lot of time editting this book.

Point NOT being issues with Brandons writing. As I said, TGS is my second favorite, because of Dark Rand, which Brandon wrote. Nuff said.

The editing has been a consistent problem with this series. Whether that means that the final book would be better if plenty of time were allocated to editing, or whether it wouldn't matter how much time was allocated to editing since the editing has been consistently bad in any case, I don't know. But I'm not inclined to hold Sanderson responsible for it in the same way I was willing to hold Jordan responsible.

A great deal of the editing for the books seems to be spelling errors and improper usage of names and such. Each writer has his own style so the grammar (which is the hardest to correct in my proofreading experience) is not an issue.

I am not a professional book editor, but if I had to wager I would say that 95% of the editing will be making sure that things in the story line up properly (no Moraine channeling Saidin for example). That may seem simple, but making sure all the details line up properly requires a massive knowledge of the WoT universe (you can't just consult a wiki on each sentence) so there will probably be several proofreads by knowledgeable people. With books these size and the fact that the author isn't the original author, you have to cut them some slack if some get by the editing staff.

i just want him to take the time he needs to do the best he can. no matter how many times that book has to go back and forth, i just... well, yeah. i can ignore all the typos is the world if the story is good and well written. i am sure he will try his best. just... no pressure, bran, no pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

I would rather this book be finished later rather than sooner. I recently finished re-reading ToM and was astounded by the vast amount of errors. I believe it was on page 639, Gawyn was addressed as Galad. This seems like something an editor should have noticed. There were also numerous errors such as having "to" when it didn't make sense. He clearly had written it a different way and then changed it and forgot to remove some words. I would hate to see errors such as these in the final volume of the series.

I don't care if the book is published as Brandon Sanderson's crayon drawings on yellow paper he picked up at his kid's school. I just want to know how it all ends with no particular care to the writing. Now, I'm a big fan of Sanderson, and enjoy his writing immensely, I simply do not care right now. I want the story.

I would rather this book be finished later rather than sooner. I recently finished re-reading ToM and was astounded by the vast amount of errors. I believe it was on page 639, Gawyn was addressed as Galad. This seems like something an editor should have noticed. There were also numerous errors such as having "to" when it didn't make sense. He clearly had written it a different way and then changed it and forgot to remove some words. I would hate to see errors such as these in the final volume of the series.

I don't really view these kinds of things as the main purpose of an editor. Yes, typos and such should be caught during the copy edit, but that's not the main purpose of employing an editor. An editor is supposed to help polish the story. Make suggestions as to pacing. Notice if people are acting out of character. Suggest certain sections need more action. Ask why is this character acting this way or that because their motivation isn't clear. This section reads with too much mystical jargon and is hard to follow. Maybe it would be better to arrange the chapters in this order to make the timeline more sensible.

Things like that. Proofreading isn't really the point.

Also, later editions always pick up the spelling errors etc.

I know im just waiting till I can by an entire set again in the same cover style :P fingers crossed for the Ebook covers. And by the time that happens most typos will be gone since the books will have gone through a number of revisions

I could care less about the so-called quality and polish, I have no desire to wait another year or two.

The polish can be done in the 2nd printing.

Finish the series.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting you would rather have a mostly unedited book to read, and then have them fix it on the second printing?

TGS and ToM have already suffered enough. When you have people on a site like DM commenting on how far the quality(there is no so called about it) of the work has dropped you know something is seriously wrong. The fact that those two books were rushed hurts the series as a whole and we now have two less books that will stand up to rereads over the years. IMO it is the height of selfishness for anyone to think it is right to do the same with the last book in the WoT series and what should be the culmination of RJ's life work.

I could care less about the so-called quality and polish, I have no desire to wait another year or two.

Finish the series.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting you would rather have a mostly unedited book to read, and then have them fix it on the second printing?

TGS and ToM have already suffered enough. When you have people on a site like DM commenting on how far the quality(there is no so called about it) of the work has dropped you know something is seriously wrong. The fact that those two books were rushed hurts the series as a whole and we now have two less books that will stand up to rereads over the years. IMO it is the height of selfishness for anyone to think it is right to do the same with the last book in the WoT series and what should be the culmination of RJ's life work.

Despite some of the problems that some of DM's critics have posted about here on these forums, it appears from my reading of the various threads in these forums that TGS and ToM were both very well received, and popular with DM's fandom as being 2 of the better books of the WOT series.

Guest Emu on the Loose

Finish the series.

I have to say I agree. I would rather have the ending sooner rather than later, if the difference is merely 300 typos versus 30.

Archived