The likeliness of a Wheel of Time movie

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 goodapollo

goodapollo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

For about seven years i have been a patiently waiting for new of a wheel of time movie. Now that i am approaching my twentienth birthday I have stopped to think, really how likely is it that a 15 book epic that encompasses only two or three year will be made into a movie. They can't use amatuers due to time constrants and yet the actor would need to be around 16 to 21 years of age at the beginning of the series. Look at the LotR series, only three books but it took them three years between the release of the first and third movies. If each movie was the encompass one book and each movie came out after only one year and actor of the age of 18 at the start of the movies would be 33 at the end, hardly the age that rand would be during The Memories of Light the last in the wheel of time series. He would be around 20 when the events of that book are to be taken place. Even though the description of the tired and worn out Rand Al'Thor would certainly be that of a middle age man at the time of Knife of Dreams or A Gathering Storm some characters that share the helm with him are not nearly as changed as he is. Matt for example even though he remembers the lives of his past selves is still very youthful and energetic. Now listen to me ramble on all of this time what i am trying to get at is that it is a major undertaking and that the likely new of this happening is very small. It is more feasible to have movies based on computur generated characters with youthful voice actors then having a movie similar to LotR. Any other approach that could be made is a video game. It does not rely much on the actors as much as the playability and the story. As long as the video game doesn't try to add or subtract too much from the story it would be as close to a true adaptation as one could get outside of the comic book and graphic novel realm.

#2 Vieira151

Vieira151
  • Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

Look at the LotR series, only three books but it took them three years between the release of the first and third movies.

See, Jackson filmed all 3 LotR films at the same time, and it took roughly 5 years for them to be finished, if I remember correctly from the special features documentary...

Well, she(Lanfear) almost rode Rand like the cowboy that he is back in TSR. Asmodean got in the way and cock-blocked her though.

#3 Vam

Vam
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:50 AM

... so if they film 3 at a time and it takes them 5 years .... that means a wot movie for every book could be made and all of them could be done in 23.5 years or so.

lol :p

#4 Mrs. Cindy Gill

Mrs. Cindy Gill

Basel's soft brown kitty

• Members
  • 65,942 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

i have said much the same in very similar threads. hope never dies. :smile:

Posted Image

Bonded, Bound, and Wed to Basel Gill

#5 Vieira151

Vieira151
  • Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

... so if they film 3 at a time and it takes them 5 years .... that means a wot movie for every book could be made and all of them could be done in 23.5 years or so.

lol :p

Indeed. :P

I'm sure there could be a way to get it all done. Like have an order of filming that isn't so time consuming, or to get actors younger than the characters, and apply aging and anti aging effects on them, or something. I have hope.

Well, she(Lanfear) almost rode Rand like the cowboy that he is back in TSR. Asmodean got in the way and cock-blocked her though.

#6 Mrs. Cindy Gill

Mrs. Cindy Gill

Basel's soft brown kitty

• Members
  • 65,942 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

you can thank pandora for that. i don't think RJ helped the movie cause with he last 1900 or so characters, tho.

Posted Image

Bonded, Bound, and Wed to Basel Gill

#7 Werthead

Werthead
  • Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

There are two realistic options:

1) Make a film trilogy loosely based on the first three books. Rand kills the Dark One at the end of THE DRAGON REBORN narrative, maybe discovering Traveling much earlier than in the books and taking the battle to Shayol Ghul. Cut out the Aiel, Seanchan, Asha'man, Sea Folk and other elements not contributing to the narrative at that point. I understand that a Japanese animation company wanted to do an adaptation of this kind but Robert Jordan didn't like it, so didn't sell the rights to them.

2) TV series. Dial back some of the effects-heavy stuff and seriously ramp up the speed of events in the late narrative, but otherwise they can do a reasonably faithful adaptation in say 6 seasons.

If we're being somewhat more fanciful, possibly a longer film series (maybe 6 movies tops) could work and they could retain more elements from the books, but more than it is impractical, too expensive and too unconvincing (the aging problem in particular).
Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F needs!

#8 Vam

Vam
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

i reckon a series where they cut out valan luca's circus, faile's capture by the shaido, half of the salidar plot lines and most of morgase and the whitecloaks.

That'd cut the whole WoT down by about 1/4 and remove the most boring parts.

#9 goodapollo

goodapollo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

I understand that a Japanese animation company wanted to do an adaptation of this kind but Robert Jordan didn't like it, so didn't sell the rights to them.

I agree with RJ opinion to not sell the rights to them. They would gear the jap-ani series more toward the japanese population and rewrite much of the series leaving a butchered knock-off. Not that i am dissing jap-ani in general, but a WOT series geared toward the japanese population would not be the WOT series that we all love.
But....it would be the easiest way to get the series into other media without compromising the effects and the darker plot lines.

#10 goodapollo

goodapollo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

i reckon a series where they cut out valan luca's circus, faile's capture by the shaido, half of the salidar plot lines and most of morgase and the whitecloaks.

I disagree, even though at first i found some of the random characters pov lack luster, they added a depth to the story and an good representation on what is going on in the world at the time. Because we haven't read A Memory of Light yet we do not know if these plot lines would have a greater impact on the over all story.

#11 Aquila Infernus

Aquila Infernus
  • Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

I disagree, even though at first i found some of the random characters pov lack luster, they added a depth to the story and an good representation on what is going on in the world at the time. Because we haven't read A Memory of Light yet we do not know if these plot lines would have a greater impact on the over all story.

Uhuh, I find that being 150 pages into CoT with Dobraine nearly killed being the only action to be lacklustre. There is such a serious amount of character recap at this late stage that the many sub-plots underway never get anywhere. This is despite the on-screen appearance of perhaps 50 odd characters, Mat being the only one of any import. Certainly Valan Luca does little for the plot but provide an exotic set, The whole rescue of Faile can be significantly shortened (the results are yet to be fully realised), Morgase doesn't need to enter Amadicia (kill Pedron Niall at Falme, make him Dain Bornhold's uncle; Geofram no longer exists and Valda becomes leader sooner). I would turn PoD and WH into one book myself... I could apply similar reductions to several plot lines.

#12 Spirit1025

Spirit1025
  • Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

I've always pictured it being done as a series of animated movies. That way there's no problem with having to have an enormous cast of minor characters or actors getting too old during filming.
Posted Image

#13 Alex weimer

Alex weimer

the green man

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

I could see them combing the books, into movies like say 1-3, 4-7, etc maybe even bumping it up to 4 books a movie. then filming all of that in sequence like lotr and releasing them. just a though, the director would most likely mess it up though.

#14 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

I could see them combing the books, into movies like say 1-3, 4-7, etc maybe even bumping it up to 4 books a movie. then filming all of that in sequence like lotr and releasing them. just a though, the director would most likely mess it up though.

I haven't lost all hope for a TV series. It isn't likely, but not impossible. If they do it as a movie... I don't think it could be done well. Someone may prove me wrong someday, but that's how I feel.

#15 Werthead

Werthead
  • Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

It won't be done as an animated movie. Far too much money has been spent to make the animated route viable, unless they can somehow Pixarise the story, which wouldn't be good for anyone.
Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F needs!

#16 Aquila Infernus

Aquila Infernus
  • Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

I think books 1-6 would have to be individual films, there is too much in each to condense it (hell, you'd be cutting stuff anyway with single book-movies) after that 7-10 could be condensed easily (I often think books 7 and 9 would absorb books 8 and 10). After that we expand again, but 11-14 are so cut up with plot lines that it might be easy to rearrange them into more coherent forms and lose a bit of text. Hell, all the minor Aes Sedai plots could be cut out to restore their mysterious status!

#17 Randommer

Randommer
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

I think a fairly faithful adaptation that would keep fans happy and not butcher things could be done in eight movies. Yeah that's a lot, but the Harry Potter movies had that many, and the issue of actors aging was even worse for them because the characters were kids. Realisticly, any WoT movie would have to be a big project to be worth a studio's time anyway, and there's necessary climactic points in the series that just couldn't be squished any more than that.

Movie 1: EotW and TGH (finale Falme)
Movie 2: TDR (finale Stone of Tear)
Movie 3: TSR (finale Two Rivers battle)
Movie 4: TFoH (finale Rahvin showdown)
Movie 5: LoC and CoS (finale Sammael showdown)
Movie 6: PoD, WH and CoT (finale cleansing the taint) [remember that chronologically CoT is mostly concurrent to WH]
Movie 7: KoD and TGS (finale White Tower battle combined with VoG)
Movie 8: ToM and AMoL (finale the Last Battle, obviously)

Yeah, some things would still have to be cut and yeah, it would still be a huge undertaking. But it would be feasible, and I hope Universal is thinking along those lines if they are going to go ahead with it.

Edited by Randommer, 31 October 2011 - 03:30 PM.

#18 threadnecromancer

threadnecromancer
  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

There are two realistic options:

1) Make a film trilogy loosely based on the first three books. Rand kills the Dark One at the end of THE DRAGON REBORN narrative, maybe discovering Traveling much earlier than in the books and taking the battle to Shayol Ghul. Cut out the Aiel, Seanchan, Asha'man, Sea Folk and other elements not contributing to the narrative at that point. I understand that a Japanese animation company wanted to do an adaptation of this kind but Robert Jordan didn't like it, so didn't sell the rights to them.

2) TV series. Dial back some of the effects-heavy stuff and seriously ramp up the speed of events in the late narrative, but otherwise they can do a reasonably faithful adaptation in say 6 seasons.

If we're being somewhat more fanciful, possibly a longer film series (maybe 6 movies tops) could work and they could retain more elements from the books, but more than it is impractical, too expensive and too unconvincing (the aging problem in particular).

I think that the Great Hunt and the Eye of the World (maybe the Dragon Reborn as well) would work great as Hollywood blockbusters, I think they would be very successful if adapted to film. All of the books had plenty of action and were not too slow or boring (well, perhaps excepting the Dragon Reborn) and I they make sure to avoid dropping to many hints that Ba'alzamon is not the Dark One then I think the trilogy could tell a self contained story. I think that making them like Jackson did the Lord of the Rings would work and then if the trilogy is commercially successful they could consider continuing the series after the Dragon Reborn on TV.

#19 dancelikeawarrior

dancelikeawarrior
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

There is already a movie coming out in either late 2012 or early 2013. Google it people :) Eye of the World imdb w00t for being a working actor and having access to shiz like that haha. But seriously, its happening and has been in the works for years, they were just trying to get someone to pick up the pen and start writing. Right now I believe they are in the middle of casting and spotting out locations! As well as the screen play. Can't wait to see how they f**k up this one....

Warrior

#20 dancelikeawarrior

dancelikeawarrior
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

Oh, and there will also be a MMORPG and a console title. Forgot to mention that. Red Eagle entertainment is handling both the movie and the MMO.