A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL progress and excitement...

nojnomad

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude?

Dude?

It has been a lot of years since anyone duded me.

I just can't help getting excited. As sad as I will be to see the series at an end I still can't not be excited about a new release.

I feel like the ladies in my area. There is a new mall going in and the ladies scream at workers through the fences when they take lunch breaks.

Im not excited. I mean, I want to read it, but I had a problem last night. My little broseph is reading the books - or letting them be read to him over audio-book for the first time, and he idly asked how many times I've read them. I started in 2001, and have re-read every one before each new release. I had to stop and realize that this is the last release. It's kind of depressing.

Can't Rand slip on a banana peel and give us 12 more books as a result?

While I love the series I think every series should go out in it's glory instead of being leeched away over time. I think if it went up to 40 books there would be no one who could stomach reading them.

On topic though: I think that the progress bar is relatively arbitrary. It takes longer to write certain sections so if he is going by length it might be that that 4% took him a tenth of as much time as the previous 4% or vice versa. I hope for a March release but I suspect that with this final book they are going to take as long as they feel they need to perfect it.

Can't Rand slip on a banana peel and give us 12 more books as a result?

I'd read those books. I can just imagine Min making one of her sheep herder comments when he slips...

Hmm let me see at the moment I'm at the end of CoT in my reread. After KoD I'm going to take a break to read Game of Thrones, then I'll have TGS and ToM. Might just be able to stretch it out till aMoL is released if I read some other books at the same time.

A healthy mix of all emotions here...

I know I'll be crushed when I read the last page (And excited probably).

And it will be several years before I re-read the series again...but I know I will read it again. And again...maybe make it a decade tradition...every ten years I re-read the series. LOL

I doubt foreshadowing alone will be enough to keep the community going unless Brandon Sanderson or others continue to expand the series in other ways (Outrigger Novels for example). Oh there will be some die hard fans, but I remember how quickly fan bases dissipated way back when the series Animorphs ended. There is still a community out there if I remember correctly, but it is not even close to what it once was.

Best way to fix that problem is for the MMO not to suck (since the movie(s) will almost certainly suck). I have seen what LoTRO has done for the Lord of the Rings series (in many ways more than the movies which inspired the creation of the game did) and I would love for such an MMO based on the WoT series to keep the blood flowing in the community.

I must be alone in this. I've re-read every time from book 6 until the last book, when I just re-read books 11 and 12. Probably just read 12 & 13 this time. I can't see myself ever re-reading it after that. I'm old, and there's too much still out there to read. Maybe I'm wrong.

I want AMoL today but I am willing to wait as long as it takes so long as all the loose ends are securely tied and double knotted.

Who else is partway between several other series' and then put them down since TGS, then picking them up again while waiting for ToM? I'm buying the audio books at the moment so that I can subject my kids to The Wheel of Time but I just know I'll be through with that in a couple of months. Then I might get back to Robin Hobb. I have 4 books to go on that in the two later trilogies. And I started halfway through Sara Douglas' sagas and have only read a couple so I'll probably have time to get through them from the beginning.

I'm an avid reader as you can tell. :blush: I re-read WoT so much that I have to distract myself with other Authors otherwise I would go bonkers with the waiting. Kind of like when I heard RJ had died and I thought I'd never read the end of the story. :sad: Bless you Brandon. :biggrin:

Something for consideration, from Brandon's twitter:

Southpaw2014

@BrandSanderson you recently said you were just over 60% finished with AMoL, how much % will RJ's ending take up when you put it in?

BrandSanderson

@Southpaw2014 I'm guessing about 10%.

With this quote

BrandSanderson

Some are asking how I get guess the % finished of a book not done. I've been using 300k words as a guess. (As I did for TofM.) #AMoL

(17 Sep)

we can ascertain that RJ's ending is approximately 30k words long.

In Comparison, 'Dumai's Wells' (ch 55 of LoC) was about 9.1k words. 'With the Choedan Kal' (ch 35 of WH) was about 10.7k words. The Prologue of LoC 'The First Message' is just a shade over 30k words. So... we're looking at an RJ written ending that's about the same length as the Prologue of LoC. I was hoping for something on the order of the Cleansing in With the Choedan Kal, or perhaps a little longer, but it seems it'll be about triple that length. :biggrin:

Southpaw2014

@BrandSanderson you recently said you were just over 60% finished with AMoL, how much % will RJ's ending take up when you put it in?

BrandSanderson

With this quote

BrandSanderson

Some are asking how I get guess the % finished of a book not done. I've been using 300k words as a guess. (As I did for TofM.) #AMoL

(17 Sep)

In Comparison, 'Dumai's Wells' (ch 55 of LoC) was about 9.1k words. 'With the Choedan Kal' (ch 35 of WH) was about 10.7k words. The Prologue of LoC 'The First Message' is just a shade over 30k words. So... we're looking at an RJ written ending that's about the same length as the Prologue of LoC. I was hoping for something on the order of the Cleansing in With the Choedan Kal, or perhaps a little longer, but it seems it'll be about triple that length. :biggrin:

Soooo stoked, appreciate you figuring this out Sid!

Guest PiotrekS

Southpaw2014

BrandSanderson

With this quote

BrandSanderson

(17 Sep)

Soooo stoked, appreciate you figuring this out Sid!

That's great!Good job Sid!

Archived