DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stuff Brandon says

Terez

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, Faile is second in the line of succession, she said so herself to Elayne in ToM. Her father is currently the heir of Tenobia.

Morgase didn't have to die for Elayne to become Queen.

Bashere may decide he doesn't want to be king. Not everyone in the series is power-hungry (we've seen Ituralde turn down the chance to be king, remember) - perhaps Bashere will see it as better for Saldea in the long run to have a younger ruler, especially one with close ties to the Dragon (if he lives).

No, Faile is second in the line of succession, she said so herself to Elayne in ToM. Her father is currently the heir of Tenobia.

Morgase didn't have to die for Elayne to become Queen.

Bashere may decide he doesn't want to be king. Not everyone in the series is power-hungry (we've seen Ituralde turn down the chance to be king, remember) - perhaps Bashere will see it as better for Saldea in the long run to have a younger ruler, especially one with close ties to the Dragon (if he lives).

Well, I'd say Bashere has closer ties to DR than Faile does. I mean sure he isn't married to one of Rand's closest friends, but he's been around and involved with Rand quite a bit more than Faile. I'd say they trust each other more or lesss completely. Still I agree that it's quite possible that Bashere would leave the throne to Faile instead of taking it himself.

@BrandSanderson just finished my reread of WOT 10 mins ago :-( what will I do now?!

@Liam_Eoin_Lynch Hm. Well, you have ten months or so until the last one. So...re-read Pern, maybe? :)

I was kind of hoping for less than 10 months, but what can you do?

I still want to know what the Gun on the Mantle was in TDR. One thing that struck me was Perrin's viewing of Lanfear and Ishy being all catty; Ishy threatens Lanfear with untold suffering for defying the Dark One and Lanfear says she serves forever, yada yada, and Perrin reflects upon what he saw, wondering how in the Light a Darkfriend -- let alone a Forsaken-- could defy the Dark One, yet that seems to be what he saw.

Of course, Ballzy turned out not to actually be the Dark One

Ah but thats just the thing. Is there any definite proof that he wasnt? Because Im dead sure that the Dark One possessed Ishamael in the AoL and thats whay Lewis fought, he used saidin to touch the Dark One when possessing Ishamael, and thats what left him all crispy.

I mean, Shaidar is Hand of the Shadow and the Dark One can speak through Shaidar, wouldnt it fit for Ba'alzamon aka Heart of the Dark to be the same thing but with a man instead of a Fade?

Ah but thats just the thing. Is there any definite proof that he wasnt? Because Im dead sure that the Dark One possessed Ishamael in the AoL and thats whay Lewis fought, he used saidin to touch the Dark One when possessing Ishamael, and thats what left him all crispy.

Ishy was deteriorated because he was trapped so close to the surface when the Chosen were sealed at SG.

Ishy was deteriorated because he was trapped so close to the surface when the Chosen were sealed at SG.

That was Aginor and Balthamel. Unless I missed an RJ quote. Ishy wasnt even fully trapped

That was Aginor and Balthamel. Unless I missed an RJ quote. Ishy wasnt even fully trapped

Sorry mate, wasn't reading closely and was thinking about Balthamel...although we know being partially trapped caused him to be somewhat insane.

The TP usage has been cited as the reason for the fire cavern eyes and burning mouth, once you reach that point you are close to death unless granted immortality. I could certainly see that being associated with his deterioration.

• 10 months later...

I only found this thread recently after it was mentioned in another thread so I'll repeat the quote by BS that was being discussed

BRANDON SANDERSON

Now, to fire a gun that has been sitting on the mantle since the middle (chapters 30-40) of book 3.

TEREZ

Now THAT is a good clue. (The Mat one was not incredibly surprising, but this one will be fun.)

TEREZ

Want to discuss @BrandSanderson's latest A Memory of Light clue? It's a good one!

BRANDON SANDERSON

Theoryland thread on what I just posted: http://www.theorylan...read.php?t=6057 Thanks @Terez27.

BEN KLUGE

Has anyone got close yet:) ?

TEREZ

Pfft, we've barely started yet.

BEN KLUGE

I know—but once we have got started the odds of possibly getting an answer drop from very low to zero.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Ha. I already flirt with giving away too much. I doubt you'll pull anything more from me for a while.

4TH AGE

I'm sure with how conscious you are of us examining your every word you checked, so are you SURE it's in those chapters?

BRANDON SANDERSON

99% sure.

TEREZ

Would you at least confirm you're not talking about 13-13? You referenced that as a Chekhov's Gun before Towers of Midnight...

TEREZ

...and so the association is hard to shake. But it was introduced in The Dragon Reborn 22 and of course already showed up in Towers of Midnight.

TEREZ

And technically, you could be referring to that since we didn't actually see the turning. And 99%. :( ... ;)

BRANDON SANDERSON (5 OCTOBER)

Mat is so much fun to write. The trick, which is hard, is to get the right mix of humor & awesome. One without the other just isn't Mat.

TEREZ

Ahh, confirmation. And good luck with Mat. ;)

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not sure what I'm confirming, but okay. On the thing I tweeted before, it's obviously NOT 13x13. It is cool, but smaller than that.

My first thought was that this refers to the Aiel prophecy from ch 34 implying that the Aiel returning to the Way of the Leaf. I'm sure this will happen but it doesn't qualify as being smaller that 13x13 turning IMO. Same with Mat's luck possibly being connected to the DO (ch 30) or Lanfear going back to the Light (ch 36).

Some smaller things that I think might be it:

• The Horn being hidden in the Two Rivers. In ch 35 Faile tells Perrin that it might be there somewhere. We don't know where the Horn is and Verin could have taken it there on Siuan's orders after first bringing it to the White Tower.
  • in ch 31 Thom tells the story of Mara and three foolish kings. Perhaps it means that one of the countries in Randlands will get rid of its king altogether and become a democracy. Not likely IMO.
  • in ch 32 Thom jokes that Mat should "try telling the Lord Captain Commander of the Whitecloaks he should marry the Amyrlin Seat.” Even less likely but who knows. Gawyn will probably die, Berelain might die too and Egwene and Galad did like each other at one point.
  • Egwene's dream in ch 37 about Perrin stepping willingly over the edge of a towering cliff while saying, “It must be done. I must learn to fly before I reach the bottom.” This one is quite vague and might have already happened but perhaps not.
  • in ch 37 Egwene also had several dreams about herself and the Seanchan. This hasn't happened yet but definitely will. Qualifies well as a Chekhov's gun too.
  • Egwene and Elayne possibly becoming first sisters (hinted at in ch 38). Very unlikely especially since Elayne is pregnant.
  • Nynaeve jokes in ch 39 about the Heart of the Stone crumbling to dust. Might happen during the LB.

in ch 37 Egwene also had several dreams about herself and the Seanchan. This hasn't happened yet but definitely will. Qualifies well as a Chekhov's gun too.

Among your list, this is the one I find most likely; however none "feel" quite satisfactory.

Good work so far Herid (as per usual, you are very thorough).

Disclaimer, I have not read this thread from page 1.

Some really really random ideas (probably not as good as Herid's :rolleyes:):

-Chapter 30 Mat first realises he has the Dark One’s luck. He may have to pit his luck directly against the Dark One somehow? Last Battle Bingo game?

-Chapter 32 stuff Be'lal said:

“There’s no hope for it. Sooner or later they will have to be hunted down and killed, every last Aes Sedai. The High Lord Samon says the others might be saved—the young ones, the novices, the Accepted—if they’re brought to the Stone, but the rest must be eradicated. That’s what the High Lord Samon says. The White Tower must be destroyed.”

(a Taim-led Asha'man slaughtering of Aes Sedai?)

-Chapter 32 Rand's weird(possibly prophecy) dreams:

"That was always in his dreams. Always. And taunting faces. Hands, pushing Egwene, and Nynaeve, and Elayne into cages, snaring them in nets, hurting them. Why should he weep more for Elayne than for the other two?"

-Chapter 34 Aiel prophecy:

“It says we will be changed, and find again what was ours, and was lost.”

-Chapter 37 One of Egwene's dreams?

"That was always in his dreams. Always. And taunting faces. Hands, pushing Egwene, and Nynaeve, and Elayne into cages, snaring them in nets, hurting them. Why should he weep more for Elayne than for the other two?"

That may have once been true, but he would tear the world apart if Nynaeve was captured now.

in ch 37 Egwene also had several dreams about herself and the Seanchan. This hasn't happened yet but definitely will. Qualifies well as a Chekhov's gun too.

Among your list, this is the one I find most likely; however none "feel" quite satisfactory.

yes, I feel the same way too. They all have flaws IMO. The one you mention doesn't seem all that cool (BS said it will be) and on second thought, I'm not sure if it really qualifies as a Chekhov's gun. It's a prophetic dream so it's pretty much guaranteed to happen and regardless, it's pretty clear that Egwene will have to confront the Seanchan at some point. I think we can see that one a mile away. A Chekov's gun is something that might or might not fire.

I would have gone with one of the three things I mentioned first except all of them seem too big in light of Brandon's last comment. This is subjective of course so perhaps I'm wrong in that assessment.

Good work so far Herid (as per usual, you are very thorough).

Disclaimer, I have not read this thread from page 1.

Some really really random ideas (probably not as good as Herid's :rolleyes:):

-Chapter 30 Mat first realises he has the Dark One’s luck. He may have to pit his luck directly against the Dark One somehow? Last Battle Bingo game?

this was one of the three things I mentioned as being too big. It's discussed earlier in this thread and it seemed to have been the most favorite theory on the subject before Brandon said that it's smaller than 13x13.

-Chapter 32 stuff Be'lal said:

“There’s no hope for it. Sooner or later they will have to be hunted down and killed, every last Aes Sedai. The High Lord Samon says the others might be saved—the young ones, the novices, the Accepted—if they’re brought to the Stone, but the rest must be eradicated. That’s what the High Lord Samon says. The White Tower must be destroyed.”

(an Taim-led Asha'man slaughtering of Aes Sedai?)

a savage wholesale slaughter of all Aes Sedai? Cool! Somehow I don't see that happening though. Doesn't happen in Avi's visions in Rhuidean and even if we disregard those there are several viewings of Aes Sedai who'll survive the LB.

I think this one already happened at the end of TDR when Be'lal caught the wonder girls and used them as bait. What's interesting about this dream is that it seems to be prophetic as you say and I remember BS insisting that Rand does not have prophetic dreams.

-Chapter 34 Aiel prophecy:

“It says we will be changed, and find again what was ours, and was lost.”

that's another one of the three things which I excluded as being too big.

Well, Egwene had already been caught by the Seanchan, and conveniently those three were all caught in BA trap by the time he had that dream, I think, it's just that Elayne and Nyn barely escaped.

I think it may just be a dream of general angst, which if you remember your dreams at all, have surely had at one stressful point in your life. Hell, I've been out of school for 12 years now and still occasionally dream about exam period.

Mea culpa, but I didn't have the patience to read the thread all the way through. Regarding BS quote about the GRRM thing. We are assuming that since BS has only read GoT his knowledge of what a "GRRM thing" is is limited to a betrayal or making a hated character more liked. But what if he's seen GoT on TV, or talked about it with others. It could put in Red Wedding or, my favorite, bringing back a character everyone thought was dead, but isn't. My thought was Aginor.

Well, Egwene had already been caught by the Seanchan, and conveniently those three were all caught in BA trap by the time he had that dream, I think, it's just that Elayne and Nyn barely escaped.

I think it may just be a dream of general angst, which if you remember your dreams at all, have surely had at one stressful point in your life. Hell, I've been out of school for 12 years now and still occasionally dream about exam period.

This is WOT, not real life and Egwene is a Dreamer. This particular dream is listed right after several clearly prophetic dreams. It's possible that it's just a regular dream but highly unlikely. And her reaction to this dream is exactly the same as to her other prophetic dreams about the Seanchan - she refuses to think about those too. It's very obvious at this point that Egwene will have to confront the Seanchan and deal with her feelings towards them.

Mea culpa, but I didn't have the patience to read the thread all the way through. Regarding BS quote about the GRRM thing. We are assuming that since BS has only read GoT his knowledge of what a "GRRM thing" is is limited to a betrayal or making a hated character more liked. But what if he's seen GoT on TV, or talked about it with others. It could put in Red Wedding or, my favorite, bringing back a character everyone thought was dead, but isn't. My thought was Aginor.

Character resurrection has been done many times in the series. Doing it to yet another Forsaken would just be lame and won't merit all the rhetoric accompanying that quote (all the stuff about mythological underpinnings and awsome). I don't see what kind of mythological underpinnings can possibly apply to an Aginor resurrection. Besides, BS has been slowly killing off the Forsaken over the last two books. A resurrected Forsaken would need something interesting to do and would also need to die again in an interesting way. AMOL is the last book and screentime is highly limited and highly valuable. Bottom line is I don't see this happening.

I haven't read anything by GRRM but I find the other options you listed (an unanticipated betrayal by someone or making a hated character more liked) much more likely.

This is WOT, not real life and Egwene is a Dreamer. This particular dream is listed right after several clearly prophetic dreams. It's possible that it's just a regular dream but highly unlikely. And her reaction to this dream is exactly the same as to her other prophetic dreams about the Seanchan - she refuses to think about those too. It's very obvious at this point that Egwene will have to confront the Seanchan and deal with her feelings towards them.

Okay, couldn't figure out all the quotes to edit there, I thought this was Rand's dream, not Egwene's.

Archived