DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Soras freeday

Cainam

It’s been 3 years and Sora finally got a free day. A real free day one where she had nothing to do. She decided that today she was going to the stables. She would rather choose something for herself to do on her free day then have an Aes Sedai choose for her. She had longed to be around something that was familiar to her. And of all the things she missed most of all. She missed being around horses. She arrived at the stables early and gave a very slight bow to the stablemaster. “The mistress of novices has given me a free day and she said that I could spend it here with your permission. I have a background in horses and if I can be of help it would please me.” The stablemaster nodded as she spoke and motioned her to go ahead and start feeding the horses.

Sora walked around around setting up the horses with their feedbags and looking over the horses. They were all fine animals and she came across one that she noticed was favoring its rear hoof. She went into the stall and inspected the mares hoof. It had a slight infection in the hoof and she knew that if it didn’t get treated soon that the infection would spread and the mare would become lame. She called one of the stablehands over and pointed out what she had found. He quickly went to fetch the farrier. Sure enough there was an infection and the farrier told her that was amazing. That only a few people would have noticed something like that. She nodded thankfully at the praise and continued on her task. It was midday and time for her to eat lunch so she went to the novice cafeteria and ate her lunch quietly and then started to return to the stable to continue her day.

As she walked the halls she walked past an accepted and she quickly dropped a curtsy and noticed it was Eliza. Eliza was newly raised to the accepted and she had previously had many classes with Sora. During those classes she would pick on Sora. She would bump Sora in the halls and sprawl her parchments and belongings all over the hallway and then walk away laughing. She even one time had one of her friends distract Sora and she poured some kind of concoction into her soup which made her mouth turn blue and made her sick to her stomach. She started to practice her novice exercises in her head to keep her calm. “Good afternoon Eliza.” Eliza looked down her nose at Sora and said “Don’t you have some chores to be doing or do I need to find something for you to do.” Sora bit her tongue and said “Yes Eliza I am working in the stables today. I’ll get back to that right away.” She curtsied again and started heading to the stables.

She got back to the stables and she was so angry. She thought to herself ‘How dare she treat me like that. I still can’t believe she made accepted. It’s probably because if she hadn’t tested soon they would throw her out of the tower. She only has been here for 12years.’ She laughed a little to herself as she led the horse back to his stall. “And what is so funny child” she heard Eliza say. “Oh Nothing Eliza” as she dropped a quick curtsy and continued to walk to the stall. She saw the glow of Saidar surround Eliza and then she felt the smack of a switch of air on her backside. She winced and as she lurched from the sting the horse reared up and it caused Eliza to lose some concentration and stumble. Sora was so angry and she felt Saidar rush into her. Her backside hurt so badly and she wanted Eliza to stop. Before she knew what was happening she was weaving something of spirit that was foreign to her and she through it at Eliza.”You have gone too far this time Eliza. I had kept my tongue and never reported you for picking on me because I was told a novice must endure hardship and overcome it. I will not let you abuse your rank nor will I allow you to prey on those you see as weaker then yourself. That is the path of the shadow not of the light.” The look on Eliza’s face was of both shock and anger. By the time Sora was finished ranting Eliza’s face went from anger and shock to fear and satisfaction. And the next thing Sora knew something slammed between her and the source. She quickly turned around and she saw Amadine Sedai.

Edited by Otpelk Cainam

Amadine pulled her shawl closer about her shoulders, the breeze rushing through the gardens was cool today. She carried her basket of herbs in one hand, and she was heading for the stablehouses. She had received a note this morning in the infirmary that little Flora Gwendry, daughter of one of the Stablemasters, had taken ill and was too sick to be moved from her bed.

As she passed by the stable door Ama felt channelling. Frowning, she stepped to the door and was dismayed to find that within the stable was a Novice holding a shield on an Accepted.

Amadine formed her own shield and pressed it between the Novice and the Source, Ama was not strong in the Power, but the girl was untrained yet. The Novice wheeled around as she was cut off from the source and Amadine frowned at the group of girls as she said, "Now what in the Light is going on here?"

She pointed at the child in Novice White, "You. Explain yourself, this instant."

Amadine al'Varine

Annoyed Yellow

As Sora realized the gravity of the situation she was now in she felt ashamed of herself. Amadine Sedai was standing there in the regal posture and she looked at the two girls and said. “Now what in the light is going on here?” Sora felt her heart race and her mouth felt like the waste as soon as Amadine Sedai turned to her and said “You. Explain yourself, this instant.”

As Sora tried to work moisture into her mouth to speak Eliza immediately jumped in and said “ Amadine Sedai this novice attacked me with no cause. As I came into the stables she immediately through weaves of air and then she shielded me and started babbling incoherently.” Sora just stood there with mouth gaping open as Eliza spun this tale. She was shocked in two parts of this tale. That she attacked without cause and she was shocked that she shielded Eliza. She doesn’t even know the weave for shielding. Sora just stood there with her head bowing down to the ground waiting to hear that she was in trouble because who was going to believe a novice over an accepted.

As Amadine Sedai listened to Eliza her face never changed. It just remained that perfect Aes Sedai mask. When Eliza was finally finished talking to her she turned to Sora and asked “Is that true child?” Sora looked up at Amadine Sedai very nervously and spoke softly “Not exactly Aes Sedai.” As Sora reluctantly told Amadine Sedai what happened she felt more and more ashamed of herself.

As Amadine waited for an answer from the Novice, the Accepted whom had been the apparent victim in the situation began babbling, pointing a finger at the Novice, “Amadine Sedai, this Novice attacked me with no cause. As I came into the stables she immediately through weaves of air and then she shielded me and started babbling incoherently.”

Amadine raised an eyebrow and addressed the Accepted. "I did not ask you Accepted. You will be silent until i ask you to speak." Turning her focus to the Novice Amadine spoke gently, "Is that true child?"

The Novice spoke very quietly, “Not exactly Aes Sedai.” She then proceeded to explain that the older girls had been picking on her for some time and had followed her to the stable.

"Amadine Sedai! That's not..." the Accepted began.

"I said be silent Accepted." Amadine replied firmly. The girl stood with her eyes downcast and a sullen look on her face.

"So child," Ama continued, "This Accepted was taunting you and you embraced Saidar and threw a weave of Spirit at her, but you did not know what you had done?" The child nodded.

Turning Amadine spoke firmly to the Accepted and her two companions, "You will go directly to Valeri Sedai this instant, and explain that i found you harassing a Novice, taking advantage of your position and using channelling to taunt one who is not allowed to defend herself in the same way. I will be seeing Valeri Sedai in an hour and you had best have been there before me. Now go."

The Accepted picked up their skirts and ran from the stable. Amadine turned to the Novice. "Now child, i'd like the full story of what happened from the time you embraced Saidar, until when i entered the stables."

Amadine al'Varine

Sora stood their passively and waited. "So child, This Accepted was taunting you and you embraced Saidar and threw a weave of Spirit at her, but you did not know what you had done? “ Amadine Sedai had said. Sora nodded, As As Amadine Sedai finished and turned to sora she felt the lump in her throat and the butterflies in her stomach start up again. Even though Eliza had finally gotten what was coming to her sora felt no satisfaction. "Now child, i'd like the full story of what happened from the time you embraced Saidar, until when i entered the stables." Amadine Sedai asked.

Sora took a deep breath and carefully thought out her answer. She begin to speak in a soft voice but with passion and confidence in her voice “ She has picked on me since my first day in the tower aes sedai. Today was the first time she has pushed me that far. She smacked me in the bottom with a switch of air and when she did it startled the horse. Between the constant verbal and mental abuse this was just the last straw. I just knew that I wanted her to stop and this weave seemed right somehow. I was concerned for mine and the horses safety at that point so I just went with it. As soon as I threw the weave at her I knew what I had done and at the time I knew if I pulled it away she would do worse to me. That is where you came in.” Sora begin to tear up but she stood tall and proud. “I know I am in trouble and I know I shouldn’t have done what I did. I just lost my temper. And I also know I could have hurt her and hurt myself but at that time to be honest I didn’t care I had just had enough.” Sora stood there eyes straight ahead with tears rolling down her cheeks.

Edited by Otpelk Cainam

• 3 weeks later...

“She has picked on me since my first day in the tower aes sedai. Today was the first time she has pushed me that far. She smacked me in the bottom with a switch of air and when she did it startled the horse. Between the constant verbal and mental abuse this was just the last straw. I just knew that I wanted her to stop and this weave seemed right somehow. I was concerned for mine and the horses safety at that point so I just went with it. As soon as I threw the weave at her I knew what I had done and at the time I knew if I pulled it away she would do worse to me. That is where you came in. I know I am in trouble and I know I shouldn’t have done what I did. I just lost my temper. And I also know I could have hurt her and hurt myself but at that time to be honest I didn’t care I had just had enough.”

By the time the child had finished speaking she had tears rolling down her cheeks, which she scrubbed at with her fists. Amadine nodded thoughtfully. "Child, while i understand that you have been bullied, you must never ever use the One Power in such a way without supervision. What you did is called a Shield, and used incorrectly it can be exceptionally dangerous."

Amadine fished a handkerchief from within her basket and handed it to the Novice. "Now, you will have to see Valeri Sedai about this infraction, but it would not do for you to encounter those girls again on your own this afternoon. You will accompany me to stablehouses and then i will see you safely to the Mistress of Novices." Amadine ushered the girl out of the stable and down the main path beside the stable yard. She passed her basket to the child in white, "Carry this for me please child. And tell me your name, i cannot be addressing you as Child all afternoon."

They reached the home of the Gwendrey's and Amadine knocked upon the door. The door opened revealed Mistress Gwendry, clutching a feverish child. "Oh Amadine Sedai! She is so ill, please won't you do something for her."

"Of course Mistress Gwendry." Ama soothed. "Sora find me the packet in my basket marked Feverbane please, and go fetch a cup of water. In the basket there is a measuring scoop, mix one scoop of Feverbane into the water and bring it to me."

Amadine embraced Saidar and delved little Flora, the infection had taken hold within the circulation system this time. Poor little sickly mite Ama thought as she wove a basic Healing weave and laid it on the child. The child's body relaxed and she whimpered, "There there lass, you will feel better now." Taking the cup from Sora, Ama held the child's head and gave her a sip from it. Passing the cup to Mistress Gwendry she said "Now give her a sip every five to ten minutes until the cup is empty. Then let her sleep. When she wakes she will be hungry so be sure to have something ready for her."

Mistress Gwendry offered profuse thanks as Amadine and Sora made their way out to the path again. "Sora, do you have questions for me while we walk?"

Amadine al'Varine

Edited by Amadine

• 2 weeks later...

Sora walked with Amadine Sedai and could not help but look at her with curiosity. She was one of the first Aes Sedai that Sora had met that seemed to genuinely care about how a novice felt. Just when Sora thought she was figuring things out she was confused yet again. But she decided that this was the type of Aes Sedai she wanted to be.

They approached a home and Amadine Sedai knocked on the door. A woman opened it cradling a child and said. "Oh Amadine Sedai! She is so ill, please won't you do something for her." The child looked so sickly and weak. The mistress rushed them into the house and Amadine Sedai told Sora "Sora find me the packet in my basket marked Feverbane please, and go fetch a cup of water. In the basket there is a measuring scoop, mix one scoop of Feverbane into the water and bring it to me." She did exactly as instructed as she saw Amadine Sedai embrace the source and lay a weave upon the child. It was a fairly complex weave and Sora tried her hardest to remember it. Sora watched with eagerness to learn and Amadine Sedai laid another more complex weave up the child. Sora was sure this weave was a healing weave but she was not exactly sure what the first weave was. She handed the cup to Amadine Sedai and watched as Amadine Sedai gave instructions to the mother of the child. As she did this Sora gathered everything back into the basket and followed her outside.

As they walked down the path Amadine Sedai asked "Sora, do you have questions for me while we walk?" Sora Stumbled for a second because she thought that the Aes Sedai was surely going to scold her now since they were heading back but this woman actually wanted to talk to her. A lowly Novice and she wanted to help her. “Yes Aes Sedai. I am pretty sure the second weave you laid on the child was a healing weave but what was the first. It seemed simpler then the first but I still am not sure what it was? Also with no disrespect intended Aes Sedai but aren’t you mad or disappointed in me for my actions? Because it seems as though you act as nothing has happened.” The last parts came rushing out in a hurry as she looked down at the ground infront of her.

• 1 month later...

“Yes Aes Sedai. I am pretty sure the second weave you laid on the child was a healing weave but what was the first. It seemed simpler then the first but I still am not sure what it was? Also with no disrespect intended Aes Sedai but aren’t you mad or disappointed in me for my actions? Because it seems as though you act as nothing has happened.” The last words were spoken in a nervous voice and Amadine nodded thoughtfully.

"You are right. The second weave a was a Healing. The first was called Delving. It tells the Aes Sedai what is ailing the patient she is treating, and from there the Sister can direct the Healing as is required by the sickness or injury."

The pair walked quietly through the gardens back towards the Tower. "Sora, I am disappointed in your behaviour, but i understand your actions also. And child, it is not for me to judge or punish you. That is for the Mistress of Novices."

They entered the Tower proper and continued walking, Amadine leading the way towards the study of the Mistress of Novices. "Valeri Sedai is both strict and fair. You have broken the rules and for that you must be punished - to ensure you understand the danger you have put both yourself and that Accepted in, but she will take into consideration the circumstances also. Worry not child, all will be well."

Amadine al'Varine

Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah

As Amadine and Sora walked through the hallways to the Mistress of Novices chambers Sora became more and more afraid. What if Valeri Sedai stripped her of noviceship and sent her packing. Amadine Sedai had said she was strict and fair but from what she was gathering from her walk she had committed a severe offense. Her legs felt like wet noodles and her mouth was as dry as the Aiel waste.

She stood in front of the mistress of novice’s door for what seemed like days as she knocked. She so badly wanted to become an Aes Sedai and it would shame her and her mother’s memory to get kicked out of the tower. She slowly raised her hand up and knocked on the large door and waited. A minute later she heard Valeri Sedai say “Come in.”

As she walked into the room she glanced all over like a mouse knowing an owl was flying overhead. She stopped in front of Valeri Sedai’s desk and dropped an almost perfect curtsey. Well it would have been perfect if here knees weren’t shaking like she was in a blizzard. She wet her lips and worked moisture into her mouth before she spoke softer then she had ever spoke before “I am here because I channeled against an accepted Valeri Sedai.”

She winced as she waited for the onslaught from Valeri Sedai. When it didn’t come she looked up to see that Valeri Sedai wasn’t in front of her she quickly looked around. Behind her Valeri and Amadine Sedai were talking softly between themselves and panic begin to well in her stomach.

She stood there stiff and wondered if she should make a run for it now. She stilled her heart and pep talked herself that she would take the punishment like an Aes Sedai and be done with it. She got her composure. Valeri had finished talking to Amadine Sedai and Amadine nodded to Sora as she turned and left the room. Valeri Walked slowly back around her desk and all of a sudden it felt like the Dark One was standing in the room. She kept her calm composure and waited to see what would happen.

Valeri sat behind her desk, preparing reports for the Ayrmlin when there was a knock at the door. Without looking up she said "Come in."

The door opened to reveal Amadine Sedai and Sora. She had been expecting the Novice, but Amadine was a surprise. The Novice moved to stand in front of her desk and dropped down into a practised curtsey. She kept her eyes downcast and said “I am here because I channeled against an accepted Valeri Sedai.”

Valeri nodded, she had sent the Accepted involved off to the kitchens for a month of scrubbing posts with tears in her eyes and a sore bottom not ten minutes past. Valeri moved towards the door and stood there conferring with Amadine in hushed tones.

"She shielded that girl Valeri, and the Accepted was already holding the One Power. That is quite a feat for a Novice. Despite the circumstances i believe her talent should be fostered. She has also shown herself to have some interest in Healing." Amadine said quietly and relayed the rest of what had happened. It appeared the Accepted had been quite truthful - which was well for her.

Valeri nodded and replied in hushed tones, "I agree Ama, she will be punished for her infractions, and as part of her penance i will set her further lessons. We will not allow such talent to go to waste. Thank you for letting me know."

Amadine thanked Valeri for her time, nodded to the wide-eyed Novice before leaving the room, pulling the door closed behind her.

"Now Sora," Valeri began as she moved back around the desk as took her seat, Sora nervously plucked at her skirts, "Why don't you tell me what happened out in the stables today."

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Traditional Novices

"Now Sora," Valeri began as she moved back around the desk as took her seat, Sora nervously plucked at her skirts, "Why don't you tell me what happened out in the stables today." Valeri Sedai asked. Sora took a deep calming breath. And started her tail from the beginning.

“As you know Valeri Sedai I was taking my free day to work in the stables. Everything was going fine until after lunch. As I was leading the horse I had retrieved from the practice ring back to her stables I came across Accepted Eliza.” Sora steadied herself with a deep breath again and continued. “Ever since we were novices together she had been picking on me. She would call me names and would tell me with since I looked like a baby doll maybe she would treat me like such. I didn’t come to you sooner because when we first met you told me life as a novice was tough and that to be an Aes Sedai I must endure adversity and overcome it. Well today she had taken things to a new level. Never before had she used the power against me. But today she smacked me with a switch of air. When she did she spooked the horse and I lost my temper.” As Sora spoke he kept her eyes on Valeri Sedai’s and she held back the tears.

“When I lost my temper I embraced Saidar and wove spirit and threw it at her. At the time I didn’t know what I was doing but with her using the power against me I wanted that to stop and I just went with what felt right. Between the horse rearing and me yelling as I threw the weave which what I now know as a shield I caught her off guard and it slammed home.” Tears began to run down Sora's cheeks but her voice never wavered.

• 4 weeks later...

Valeri tsked. "Sora," she said firmly, "You will never channel against another initiate of the White Tower in anger again. Am i understood?"

Tears rolled down Sora's cheeks as the lass nodded.

"Despite the provocation," Valeri continued, "You must never use the One Power in anger nor as a weapon. I expect you to carry yourself with the dignity and poise that your position within the White Tower deserves."

"Your punishment will be threefold, a spanking, which i am sure you were expecting. Then you will spend two weeks of afternoons tending the Rose Gardens and in addition you will spend two hours per day in the Infirmary under the supervision on Amadine Sedai for the next two months."

Sometime later after Valeri had sent a sobbing Sora, still rubbing her behind, off to her bed, Valeri penned a note to advise Amadine of her decision and sent it off with a Novice to deliver to the Yellow. If anyone could could foster this child's interests whilst keeping her in line it was Amadine.

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Traditional Novices