DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lan Saved By Logain?

TJG

I don't know if anyone has contemplated this, but I seem fixated on the notion that Logain and the Asha'man A-Team are going to show up just as Lan begins his charge and lay waste to the trolloc horde. Therefore, by destroying a massive trolloc incursion and saving the legendary Lan, Logain will gain his glory. Any thoughts?

Until the Black Tower thing is resolved, Logain doesn't have much of an A-team. And while it seems rather glorious to save the Malkieri from doom, the proportions don't seem right. More likely it will have something to do with the Black Tower, since that's where the Forsaken are concentrated. And while Logain is an option to save Lan, especially in the context of leading the Asha'man, it would be more appropriate a role for Moiraine.

Until the Black Tower thing is resolved, Logain doesn't have much of an A-team. And while it seems rather glorious to save the Malkieri from doom, the proportions don't seem right. More likely it will have something to do with the Black Tower, since that's where the Forsaken are concentrated. And while Logain is an option to save Lan, especially in the context of leading the Asha'man, it would be more appropriate a role for Moiraine.

This for sure. Some things just feel right and just like Perrin being the one to kill Fain, Mo saving Lan and his boys definitely feels right.

I think Rand probably has sent help to Lan already, as he promised he would. Logain's likely to be occupied with Black Tower, but maybe Narishma and some other Asha'man will be waiting at the other side of Tarwin's Gap with a message from Rand saying: "The sun has yet to turn green."

This for sure. Some things just feel right and just like Perrin being the one to kill Fain, Mo saving Lan and his boys definitely feels right.

Would Moiraine (and who else? she can't kill 150,000 Trollocs alone) be able to get there in time, though? Last we saw her, she was determined to go to Rand and Lan's already at Tarwin's Gap.

Yes, but the timelines don't completely agree. There's still time to aid Lan in his charge.

"The sun has yet to turn green."

I like that. But I think more likely Rand intends to send aid as part of the war effort, after tFoM. As he told Nynaeve, he can't help Lan 'yet'.

Hi Terez - it's been a while since I've posted, and do not remember if we've been introduced, so hello there. I enjoy reading your posts when I lurk (regularly) and often seem to mostly agree with your takes. With that in mind, I think the only appropriate Aes Sedai to lead the Towers' efforts in making amends for previously failing the Malkieri is Nynaeve. It's the next step for Nyn's progression and would provide a nice counterpoint to the rescue in the river. With Lan's the last sending near the end of ToM I also think he will finally relinquish his marriage to the Blight and lose his sense of fatality while fulling embracing the love (and therefrom Hope) with which he has been blessed. Kinda sorta a reflection of losing the block in the river. (I really like rivers). No mention of Nyn at FoM was there?

Quick question on the A-team - aren't some of the strongest Asha'man still with Logain, i.e. Donalo, et al.? With their bonded Aes Sedai as well if I remember correctly. Definitely think awake Rand will lend some assistance in that endeavor, if not directly then through his men. Maybe Moiraine will provide some inspiration to the White Tower, but I doubt she would resume the role of primary female channeler in Lan's life and even with her bracelet it seems Nyn would be stronger (not to mention more motivated than Tom-besotted Moiraine).

"The sun has yet to turn green." - very well done sleepinghour.

I agree it will probably be the Borderland armies or Moiraine. Cadsuane and her entourage will most likely be at the FoM, but I can see Nynaeve trying to get them to do something. Is there any information where Alanna is? I can see her rushing off to help them.

Hi Terez - it's been a while since I've posted, and do not remember if we've been introduced, so hello there. I enjoy reading your posts when I lurk (regularly) and often seem to mostly agree with your takes. With that in mind, I think the only appropriate Aes Sedai to lead the Towers' efforts in making amends for previously failing the Malkieri is Nynaeve.

I definitely understand that sentiment...but at the same time, Lan only agreed to be bonded to Moiraine on condition that she tell him why the Aes Sedai didn't show up to help when Malkier fell. She violated the Tower secret to tell him the truth, and so, he agreed to be bonded to her. It's a thematic opportunity that many think will be resolved at Tarwin's Gap. Of course Lan's wife is going to want to help him, but nevertheless Moiraine is likely to have something to do with it.

Quick question on the A-team - aren't some of the strongest Asha'man still with Logain, i.e. Donalo, et al.?

He only had three, and one of those - Mezar - has been turned to the Shadow.

Nice to meet you. :wink:

Hi Terez - it's been a while since I've posted, and do not remember if we've been introduced, so hello there. I enjoy reading your posts when I lurk (regularly) and often seem to mostly agree with your takes. With that in mind, I think the only appropriate Aes Sedai to lead the Towers' efforts in making amends for previously failing the Malkieri is Nynaeve.
I definitely understand that sentiment...but at the same time, Lan only agreed to be bonded to Moiraine on condition that she tell him why the Aes Sedai didn't show up to help when Malkier fell. She violated the Tower secret to tell him the truth, and so, he agreed to be bonded to her. It's a thematic opportunity that many think will be resolved at Tarwin's Gap. Of course Lan's wife is going to want to help him, but nevertheless Moiraine is likely to have something to do with it.

I agree that Moiraine sealed Lan's devotion by revealing that the Aes Sedai failed in their attempt to rescue Malkier because they arrived too late and I understand the thematic opportunity. However, when Lan agreed to become Gaidin that was an extenuation of his personal war with the shadow - he still courted death, just a longer dance. His personal arc has led to a different path; highlighted by Moiraine's passing the bond, the journey to Myrelle, and ultimately finding meaning in Altara and wedding his bride. Moiraine even reflects about and directly comments upon Lan's changing devotion before her Ter'leap with Lanfear. I hope the path continues forward and does not retread too much old ground. Would prefer to see a post-throw-down reunion 'tween the True Blue and my personal fave - each with their new beau at their side and sharing the love.

Quick question on the A-team - aren't some of the strongest Asha'man still with Logain, i.e. Donalo, et al.?

You mean he only had three of the strongest (would now be 2) when he led them from the BT correct? There were a bunch that came with him and we haven't seen a power-up report on his traveling companions recently, IIRC. Plus they had a bunch of bonded AS and likely have dual-power-expanded circles perfected by the time of the Last Charge of the Malkieri.

Nice to meet you. :wink:

Pleasure indeed, ma'am - :wink: (with eyes not quite meeting yours of course)

p.s. - NS is one of my faves

You mean he only had three of the strongest (would now be 2) when he led them from the BT correct? There were a bunch that came with him and we haven't seen a power-up report on his traveling companions recently, IIRC.

We don't really know what happened to them. It's been a while since we last saw Logain; it seems that Rand sent him back to the Black Tower after the Semirhage incident, and that some time after that, he left with his three. Many of them are apparently still at the Black Tower, since Pevara noticed their bonded Aes Sedai:

Pevara reached the huts they had been given. She purposely did not look to the side, toward the line of small buildings where the bonded Aes Sedai made their homes. She'd heard what some of them were doing, trying to control their Asha'man using . . . various methods. That made her skin crawl, too. While she thought most Reds had too harsh an opinion of men, what those women did crossed the line with a heedless leap.

All of the forcibly bonded women are part of Logain's group.

You mean he only had three of the strongest (would now be 2) when he led them from the BT correct? There were a bunch that came with him and we haven't seen a power-up report on his traveling companions recently, IIRC.

We don't really know what happened to them. It's been a while since we last saw Logain; it seems that Rand sent him back to the Black Tower after the Semirhage incident, and that some time after that, he left with his three. Many of them are apparently still at the Black Tower, since Pevara noticed their bonded Aes Sedai:

Pevara reached the huts they had been given. She purposely did not look to the side, toward the line of small buildings where the bonded Aes Sedai made their homes. She'd heard what some of them were doing, trying to control their Asha'man using . . . various methods. That made her skin crawl, too. While she thought most Reds had too harsh an opinion of men, what those women did crossed the line with a heedless leap.

All of the forcibly bonded women are part of Logain's group.

Thank you very much for the quoted text. Did Rand send some back to the BT after the attack on Algarin's? That's the last semi-reliable idea of numbers IIRC and I was under the impression less than half the bonded AS remained at the BT which would mean probably what 15-25 Asha'man from Logain's crew were out of the BT since bonding more than one AS at a time didn't seem common. I could be wrong, just seems like there's a good bit of Asha'man/AS power unaccounted for, and out of the BT, that has been loosely defined as Logain's faction and does not include those Asha'man who do not even know there are factions (Deepe in my mind). Enjoying this conversation, thanks.

So much for my dream scene. lol. Realistically though, I think Rand has arranged for the Borderlanders to arrive just in time to turn the tide in Lan's favor.(more like save him from certain doom, but, hey I like Lan, so ill stretch the truth a bit lol). Also, Asha'man A-Team certainly has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Guest Trujin

I agree it will probably be the Borderland armies or Moiraine. Cadsuane and her entourage will most likely be at the FoM, but I can see Nynaeve trying to get them to do something. Is there any information where Alanna is? I can see her rushing off to help them.

I think that Borderland armies are the most likely to go and help Lan. As for where Alanna is, after she left the Stone of Tear Rand said he sensed her far north in the Borderlands, perhaps in Arafel. My guess is that she really is in Arafel helping out with shadowspawn attack, maybe even helping to defend the Silverwall Keeps that are located north of Shol Arbela.

Thank you very much for the quoted text. Did Rand send some back to the BT after the attack on Algarin's? That's the last semi-reliable idea of numbers IIRC and I was under the impression less than half the bonded AS remained at the BT which would mean probably what 15-25 Asha'man from Logain's crew were out of the BT since bonding more than one AS at a time didn't seem common. I could be wrong, just seems like there's a good bit of Asha'man/AS power unaccounted for, and out of the BT, that has been loosely defined as Logain's faction and does not include those Asha'man who do not even know there are factions (Deepe in my mind). Enjoying this conversation, thanks.

Actually, Rand had Logain go to the BT, take about half of the full Asha'man there at the time and assigned them to Illian and Arad Doman.

It was stated that all of the Asha'man that bonded AS were included in these groups so it looks like they simply didn't take, or weren't allowed to take their AS with them.

That means that Logain still has some fairly formidable resources available to him.

When the fighting does start to go down at the BT, all those Asha'man with bonded AS are going to know it right away. Too bad the Dreamspike might keep them out of it right away.

Actually, Rand had Logain go to the BT, take about half of the full Asha'man there at the time and assigned them to Illian and Arad Doman.

That was before Semirhage. We don't know how many he took back to the Black Tower, but it was a lot of them, and he seems to have left most of them there. No indication of how many are still in the field.

That was before Semirhage. We don't know how many he took back to the Black Tower, but it was a lot of them, and he seems to have left most of them there. No indication of how many are still in the field.

Do you remember where it stated that some of them were returned to the BT? I don't remember anything like that and it doesn't really make sense to me either. They were assigned before the meeting with Tuon (Semirhage), why would they be recalled/returned to the BT after that meeting?

Well, ToM46: Working Leather gives indication that Logain came back to the BT, though we don't know when or with whom. If he came back, those who went with him might as well.

Of course, Terez mentions that some sisters Bonded to Ashaman were seen in the BT as well (all Ashaman who Bonded sisters were part of Logain's party, the ones he took away in KoD). I'm not sure where that was.

Well, ToM46: Working Leather gives indication that Logain came back to the BT, though we don't know when or with whom. If he came back, those who went with him might as well.

Of course, Terez mentions that some sisters Bonded to Ashaman were seen in the BT as well (all Ashaman who Bonded sisters were part of Logain's party, the ones he took away in KoD). I'm not sure where that was.

I was also thinking about the Asha'man that Rand assigned to Ituralde.

We hadn't heard anything from Logain since the tGS prologue [at least so far as contact with Rand) and Rand had not been to the BT himself in some time, so where did they come from?

The most logical guess is they were the ones assigned to Bandar Eban and Rand re-assigned them Ituralde when he pulled all his resources out of there.

And if they were still in Bandar Eban then it's also logical to assume that the ones in Illian are still in Illian.

Makes sense right?

It does. But if they were reassigned, the others could've been as well. Don't forget that Logain disappeared from the BT with three other Dedicated that were loyal to him, and quite strong to boot. It's a stretch to believe they weren't among those taken out before. So, if all four came back, there's no telling who else did.

I quoted it in post #11. Are our attention spans that short, really? :biggrin:

I quoted it in post #11. Are our attention spans that short, really? :biggrin:

That's what age will do to you :wink:

No, seriously, that quote isn't strictly relevant - seeing their houses isn't the same as seeing them.

Are you serious? Rethink that a bit, man. (And reread the quote if necessary.)

Are you serious? Rethink that a bit, man. (And reread the quote if necessary.)

Quite. I did you one better (though I did read it before posting, previously), I took out my kindle and reread the passages around that quote, in case you left something out :smile:

Let me explain my reasoning. The bonded sisters lived in the BT for some time. They had their huts there. When they were gone, Taim didn't claim those back (why would he? He expected everyone to return at one point or another). Pevara refrained from looking at the huts for what they represented, not worry/dislike of the sisters living in them. Finally, regarding Pevara's knowing what Gabrelle tried to do with Logain (supposedly she wasn't the only one, but that hardly matters), it's a no-brainer. Logain was back for a time; so must Gabrelle and Toveine have been.

Just because Logain returned to the Black Tower doesn't mean that he took the men assigned to Bandar Eben/Illian with him. It stands to reason that he has more Ashaman loyal to him than the ones who bonded Aes Sedai.

It might be my poor memory but I can't recall knowing where Logain is since he went to Tear to instruct the Sea Folk to send all their ships to Ebou Dar loaded with grain and food. IIRC he was alone then.

I don't think that Logain would have dumped "his" Ashaman back in the Black Tower knowing what a dangerous sitution was developing there. I don't keep track of the numbers though so you'll all have to work that out yourselves.

Archived