DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Arrival at the White Tower

Nyanna kept a tight grip on Dapple’s reins, even though the gelding was calmly following the horse in front through the jostling crowds. Her eyes shot left and right, taking in the great buildings surrounding the plaza. So many people. Nyanna was glad for the extra height the tall gelding gave her, although the people seemed to leave an unoccupied circle around their little group untouched.

She tore her gaze from the tall spire in the near distance once again and instead focused a morose look at the back of the woman riding in front of her. A shawl hung from the Aes Sedai’s shoulders, and she carried herself regally, looking every inch a queen from a legend of old. Nyanna had gotten used to her in the weeks they had been travelling together to Tar Valon, but she felt scared stiff with all the people around her, after all that time living by herself in the forests of the Mountains of Mist. Baerlon was the biggest – and only – town she had ever visited, and nothing had prepared her for all this. There was no privacy here, a stark contrast to the quiet she was used to. At least memories were pushed away by the new sights and sounds. No, better not to think of memories.

Nyanna shut her eyes to collect herself. Opening them, she kept them fixed on Dapple’s mane for the rest of the journey through the city, shutting out the sights and sounds that she had been gawking at for the last half hour.

Finally, they arrived at the White Tower. It was aptly named – white, glistening white, and taller than anything Nyanna had ever imagined. The Aes Sedai – she had told her her name, but Nyanna didn’t speak much to her anyway – dismounted, and Nyanna slid down her horse as well. She stood there with the usual unresponsive look on her face, as grooms came to lead their horses away. At this Nyanna did look up, and for a while she stared after Dapple, already missing the reassuring warmth of the horse near her. She turned and saw the Aes Sedai talking with a girl in a white dress with coloured stripes on its hem and cuffs. Only when the Aes Sedai motioned, not unkindly, did Nyanna approach and study the other girl with a brief glance. She had a welcoming, almost motherly smile on her face that faltered a little when Nyanna did not smile back.

The Aes Sedai touched her shoulder lightly. “Nyanna, I am afraid I must see to other matters for now. I will leave you in the capable hands of Talaye, who will see you to the Mistress Of Novices.” This was followed by a firm look that demanded obedience, which Nyanna silently recognized. She had respect for this woman, who had guided her for the previous weeks and prepared her for some things that awaited her. The Aes Sedai strode off and left her standing. Alone, again.

No - not quite. Nyanna turned around and tried looking a bit less hostile. It wasn’t the woman’s fault she didn’t want to be here. The young woman was beckoning her to follow. “I am Accepted Talaye. What’s your name?” Nyanna mumbled her name in answer and mechanically followed the Accepted, who seemed at loss for other conversation starters and led her through the corridors silently.

Now that there were less people around, Nyanna felt the full weight of all the new things around her and the shock almost tripped her. Although she did not outwardly show it, she was grateful when the Accepted took her arm and guided her. Once or twice Nyanna assumed an Aes Sedai passed, for the slight pressure on her arm prompted her to curtsy when the Accepted did.

After a while the halted in front of an old, dignified and elegantly decorated oaken door. The Accepted knocked, the loud sound jolting Nyanna out of her daze. When a muffled voice on the other side told her to enter, Nyanna pulled open the door and entered, a guarded expression on her face.

Nyanna al'Dyn

Novice

Valeri sat at her desk, penning reports on the progress of her charges for the Amrylin Seat. Her teacup sat steaming on her desk and Valeri smiled as she inhaled the fragrant scent of her favourite Saldaean blend of tea. As she set down her pen and lifted the fine Seafolk porcelain teacup to her lips there was a knock at the door.

"Come in."

The door pushed open into her study. Standing on the threshold was Talaye and another girl. A young girl. Valeri smiled at the pair, "Thank you Talaye, you may go." Talaye bobbed a curtsey and inclined her head, "Thank you Valeri Sedai." and with that the girl disappear down the corridor.

"Come in child," Valeri said gently to the lass still standing in the doorway, "You may sit there" Valeri indicated the chair opposite her own.

The girl made her way to the chair and sat, Valeri embraced Saidar and using Air pushed the door gently closed. "Would you like some tea? My name is Valeri Kinaea, I am the Mistress of Novices here at the White Tower. You may call me Valeri Sedai. Would you like to tell me what brings you to the Tower?"

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Traditional Novices

• 2 weeks later...

Nyanna stood in the doorway as Talaye was dismissed by the woman – the Aes Sedai – inside. She glanced after the Accepted, undecided what to do, when the Aes Sedai spoke again.

“Come in child. You may sit there.”

Startled, Nyanna automatically entered the room and sat on the chair indicated. She put her hands in her lap and clenched them tightly. Nyanna looked up under her tangled hair at the Aes Sedai. She was not what Nyanna was expecting – her tones were gentle, and her face – it had that ageless quality, serene and kind. The Aes Sedai simply watched her, not at all commandingly or condescending in any way.

Suddenly the door closed seemingly of its own accord and Nyanna flinched, gasping before she recognized that it must have been the Aes Sedai, who started speaking again without so much as a glance at the door.

"Would you like some tea? My name is Valeri Kinaea, I am the Mistress of Novices here at the White Tower. You may call me Valeri Sedai. Would you like to tell me what brings you to the Tower?"

Nyanna blinked. “T-tea? …Valeri, Sedai?” She choked back her surprise at the unexpected offer, and quickly tried to cover up her faulty address, not really paying attention to what she was saying. “Yes, please.”

Pull yourself together. She frowned at herself, and reflected on what Valeri Sedai had said. Trying to keep calm. One sentence stood out from the rest.

"Would you like to tell me what brings you to the Tower?"

Nyanna took a sharp breath at the memories that surfaced. Her parents killed by the avalanche. The Wisdom saying that she thought Nyanna could use the One Power. Her realisation that she must have caused the rock fall. I killed them. The two people I loved most in the world. I killed them…

Nyanna furiously blinked back the tears that had started to glisten in her eyes, glad for the matted hair hanging over her face, hiding her reddened eyes. The Aes Sedai who had brought her here, had poured a bucket of Power-warmed water over her to make her at least a bit more presentable, but there were still twigs in her hair and mud under her fingernails. At least she was not wearing rags anymore. She realised that the Aes Sedai was probably still waiting for an answer, and hurriedly scrambled her mind to produce a reply.

“Makandra Sedai, the Aes Sedai who brought me here…she tested me, and she confirmed, that I…I have the spark inborn, Valeri Sedai. She found me in a village, in the inn she was staying. Mistress Alkan, the cook, had been giving food to me. I lived in the forest before that, for some time…”

Nyanna trailed off, aware that what she was babbling was probably not making much sense. She dropped her gaze back to her entwined fingers, staring at her white knuckles, dreading whatever question the Mistress of Novices was bound to ask her next.

Nyanna al'Dyn

Novice

Edited by Nyanna al'Meara

• 2 weeks later...

The child who entered Valeri's study was... there was no other way to put it gently, a mess. Her hair was matted to the skull, with bits of twigs and leaves still caught in her damp hair. She was wearing a clean dress though, so someone had made a minor effort.

The child stuttered through accepting Valeri's offer of tea but managed to speak clearly, if very quietly, about her journey to Tar Valon, “Makandra Sedai, the Aes Sedai who brought me here…she tested me, and she confirmed, that I…I have the spark inborn, Valeri Sedai. She found me in a village, in the inn she was staying. Mistress Alkan, the cook, had been giving food to me. I lived in the forest before that, for some time…”

Valeri gently pushed a cup tea across the desk to the lass, making her movements slow and deliberate. This was not the first wild lass Valeri had had to contend with and it was best to treat them as one would a skittish animal. Valeri would have words with Makandra for leaving the lass with an inexperienced Accepted. She nodded in response to the child's words, "Would you tell me your name lass? And yes, child, you can channel, that much is certain. That's why you are here. We will teach you to channel safely. Those who begin channelling on their own are at risk of inadvertently hurting themselves or others."

Valeri Kinaea

• 5 weeks later...

"Would you tell me your name lass? And yes, child, you can channel, that much is certain. That's why you are here. We will teach you to channel safely. Those who begin channelling on their own are at risk of inadvertently hurting themselves or others."

Nyanna shrank back into her seat at those words, acutely aware of the panic rising, the shock clouting her as her worst fears were spoken out loud. She swallowed, trying to ignore her dry, clenched throat as she looked at the Mistress of Novices with wide eyes, and whispered “I...I don’t ever want to hurt anyone again, Aes Sedai, ever. P-please help me control this...channelling.” She was afraid of this power, so very afraid.

But the quiet way the Mistress of Novices spoke was comforting, in a way. She was glad the Aes Sedai did not prod her with any more questions about her past. She had not talked about that terrible day with anyone before, and did not think she could manage it now either. She looked at the Aes Sedai’s unreadable yet somehow caring face. A sense of safety came over her. It calmed the turmoil inside, and she felt relief that there was some way to subdue the power. She hated it, had feared to come to this place where there was so much of this terrible, destructive force in everyone...but if it could be checked, she would willingly stay and learn.

In the moment of silence that followed, Nyanna felt the warmth creeping up her face as she remembered her manners – rather, the obvious lack thereof. She bit her lip and took a breath. “I’m sorry, Valeri Sedai. My name is Nyanna al’Dyn. I’d like to stay, I really do - I want to learn to control my power. I don’t want to be a danger any more.” She shook her head sharply, her lips a thin, resolute line.

• 3 weeks later...

Nyanna's eyes widened and for a moment she looked terrified, her voice came out in a tiny whisper, “I...I don’t ever want to hurt anyone again, Aes Sedai,ever. P-please help me control this...channelling.”

Valeri's face remained serene, and the child appeared to focus on her for a moment and then she began to visibly calm herself. After a few moments she spoke again, “I’m sorry, Valeri Sedai. My name is Nyanna al’Dyn. I’d like to stay, I really do - I want to learn to control my power. I don’t want to be a danger any more.”

*Light!* Valeri thought to herself, though her face maintained it's Aes Sedai calmness, *what has this child been through?*

Valeri wondered over what could have frightened the child so badly, to make her feel she was a danger, but she also sensed that that was a conversation for another day, another time. She would be overwhelmed enough this day already.

Nodding Valeri spoke, "Your place here is assured child. The Tower aims to teach control, as such there will be many rules you must follow. The most important however is that you must never channel Saidar without permission and supervision. Can you abide by that rule and the others we set for you Nyanna?"

Valeri reached down to the bottom drawer where the Novice Book was stored and opened it to the page containing the latest entries. "I will need you to tell me your full name, place of birth and current age."

As the child spoke Valeri recorded the details in the prescribed columns, sealing Nyanna's fate to the Tower. Valeri set down her pen and smiled warmly at the wild lass seated before her, "Welcome to Tar Valon, Nyanna al'Dyn. Welcome to the White Tower, Novice Nyanna."

Valeri Kinaea

• 1 month later...

Nyanna felt safe at the Mistress of Novices’ words. Safe as she hadn’t felt in a long time. They would help her subdue this force, and stop her from inflicting harm – or worse – on anyone else.

Valeri Sedai paused, looking thoughtful. Nyanna slid to the edge of her seat, loosening her clenched hands somewhat, as the Aes Sedai nodded.

"Your place here is assured child. The Tower aims to teach control, as such there will be many rules you must follow. The most important however is that you must never channel Saidar without permission and supervision. Can you abide by that rule and the others we set for you Nyanna?"

Nyanna looked earnestly at the Mistress of Novices. She was not good at remembering and following rules, but she would try. Anything that would help her control channelling. "Yes Valeri Sedai. I am not used to all of this, but I will do my best to follow your rules."

She jumped slightly as the Aes Sedai pulled open a heavy drawer. Nyanna grimaced – she really needed to overcome her nervousness. Valeri Sedai asked her for her full name and other details. She replied “Nyanna al’Dyn, born on a farm near Dell’s Bridge in Andor. I am 15 years of age.”

She waited with breath held as the Mistress of Novices’ quill scratched across the page, sealing her fate to the Tower. Nyanna was still afraid, amongst all this newness, all the hustle and bustle that was a stark contrast to what she was used to in the forests. But somehow…it reminded her of days before it had happened, and in a way, it felt a bit like home.

Nyanna al'Dyn

New Novice

Valeri wrote the child's details into the Novice Book, sealing her to the White Tower. She finished the entry with her own neat signature then looked up at the nervous lass seat before her.

"Welcome to Tar Valon, Nyanna al'Dyn. Welcome to the White Tower Novice Nyanna."

Valeri stood and went to the large ornately carved wardrobe that stood in the corner of her study. From within it she withdrew a pair of dresses, several shifts, stocking, slipper, a belt and a pouch. All in pristine Novice White. She set the bundle on the desk in front of Nyanna then fished a wooden token carved with her own name from a jar on her desk and set it a top the pile of white. Taking her seat again Valeri spoke, "These will see you through your first days as a Novice Nyanna. When you have found your way around the Tower, take the token to the seamstresses and they shall make you a set of dresses to fit you properly."

Valeri lifted the small brass bell from her desk and rang it gently. Quiet as it was, it would ring in the ear of the nearest Novice or Accepted, summoning her to Valeri's study. "Have you any questions child, before someone comes to show you to your room?"

Valeri Kinaea

• 1 month later...

Nyanna watched the Mistress of Novices' hand intently as she wrote something in the large book in front of her. The quill brushed scross the paper in a final flourish, and the Aes Sedai looked up.

"Welcome to Tar Valon, Nyanna al'Dyn. Welcome to the White Tower Novice Nyanna."

Nyanna felt a sense of completion, she had found a place where she knew she would stay for a long while.

She quickly stood up as the Aes Sedai did, and watched awkwardly as she brought out a pile of carefully folded clothes. They didn’t expect her to keep everything so immaculately folded and perfect …or would they? Nyanna chewed her lip and glanced again at the dirt under her fingernails, unfamiliarly self-conscious as she hadn’t been in a long time.

Nyanna jolted back to reality as Valeri Sedai gave her clear instructions about how to get her own Novice dresses made. Then she rang a bell, and Nya realised her meeting with the Mistress of Novices was at an end.

"Have you any questions child, before someone comes to show you to your room?"

Nyanna shook her head silently, already a little apprehensive about what would happen next. The Mistress of Novices’ study had felt like a haven but now she was to meet the busy White Tower, full of unknown people, and a totally different way of life she was used to. Nyanna sucked in a breath, and, only just remembering to curtsey clumsily, picked up the pile of clothes.

Then there was a knock on the door, and as the Mistress of Novices nodded slightly, Nyanna mumbled a quiet “Thank you”, and walked out the door to meet her future.

Nyanna al'Dyn

New Novice of the White Tower