DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue POV's

Luckers

No thank you, Olver's POV was creepy enough as it was. Not as bad as Berelain's weirdo understanding of her relationship with Perrin, but creepy nonetheless.

Where do we get to see Olver's POV? I can't rememeber and that creepiness thing got me curious.

About the Prologue - I'd really like to read Loial's speech.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No thank you, Olver's POV was creepy enough as it was. Not as bad as Berelain's weirdo understanding of her relationship with Perrin, but creepy nonetheless.

Where do we get to see Olver's POV? I can't rememeber and that creepiness thing got me curious.

We get an Olver PoV in ToM Epilogue, when he finally wins a game of Snakes and Foxes.. and then finds Verin's letter to Mat. For further discussion, see here:

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/13616-olver-little-bit-creepy/

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/59546-caemlyn-battle/page__p__1833878__hl__olver+creepy__fromsearch__1

I want to see a POV from a Borderlander blacksmith, who after trollocs descend on his village, awakes from a blow to the head to find his family butchered and his home burned. I want him to come to the horrified realization that the royals, nobles and Aes Sedai he has been supporting in luxury by the sweat of his brow were no where to be found. I want to see him dig through the rubble of his forge with his bare hands, find his hammer, and stand gazing at it as he plans the device he has just been inspired to forge, a device whose weighted steel blade will efficiently remove useless heads from unworthy shoulders...

Guillotine, guillotine! Chop, chop, chop!

There has to be a reason for that creepiness...

To be frank, I believe Brandon's method of writing a first draft is responsible. From a response I wrote about Alliandre's POV...

I [did think her POV was odd], but I think its just a result of Brandon's writing style--if you listen to his fantasy fiction video interview, he speaks of how his first draft is writen, and he basically just slogs in the information, and later goes through to edit for prose and flow and so forth. It's a very formulaic style, but it does make some sense when it comes to writing in someone elses world--especially at the quantity and speed that he is being asked to produce it.

That being said, it can end up with some very literal moments. Alliandre is a queen. Check. She is struggling for her country with very little power. Check. The problem with this is she comes across a little odd--it feels at times almost as if she is structuring her own thoughts to portray what she thinks others should see.

It's much the same as Olver, I think, with his very literal consideration of his parents murder, and how he relates everything he does to that. That's the defining point of his character history, so that's the basis of the formula Brandon's constructed to write him. We see it in other characters too--Berelain's really creepy understanding of her relationship with Perrin, for instance...

Or alternatively the kids just a sociopath.

Guest minalth

I wanted to check the brief Loial section before commenting. My memory told me that he was about to speak. Indeed, that is as far as the storytelling has taken us. With all of the buildup, I really do think we will get to view Loial on the Stump, and have the opportunity to see his big moment in the Wheel of Time (so far... I also believe that he has a contribution to the Song).

The only logical place to stick this is in the prologue, therefore I will stick to my original assertion. This is a part of my Prologue plot contest entry. And I look forward to it more than any other POV that we might see.

I hope it's in there, but at least outlined thoroughly by Jordan - Brandon's style (which I like very much) doesn't seem suited to this scene, in my mind. It has to be such a powerful speech and such a powerful scene, and whilst Brandon's style is fast-paced, with shorter sentences that are amazing for fast scenes (or getting the series finished) and fits with Loial's own style, the backdrop and any other Speaker's script need something more like Jordan's rich (though slow) style of writing.

I am so scared of this scene being bungled that I made an account to reply!

... Loial paused for a moment to take a quick sip of water. This talking before the Great Stump was thirsty business. "And that is why I believe we should use the phrase 'The Great Stump is in attendence' to begin, rather than the less formal 'the Great Stump is gathered'. Right, good. Now I do want to just quickly touch upon the question of whether it is appropriate to hold this Stump without addequate paper for full documentation, so if anyone needs to go to the toilet, now is perhaps the time to do it."

Loial waited the polite twenty-five minutes, and upon seeing no one needed the necessary, he continued, "Yes, now, paper... as all know it is of vital importance to...."

Yeah, I'll pass on the stump and skip right to the Ogier being 'implaccable enemies'.

... Loial paused for a moment to take a quick sip of water. This talking before the Great Stump was thirsty business. "And that is why I believe we should use the phrase 'The Great Stump is in attendence' to begin, rather than the less formal 'the Great Stump is gathered'. Right, good. Now I do want to just quickly touch upon the question of whether it is appropriate to hold this Stump without addequate paper for full documentation, so if anyone needs to go to the toilet, now is perhaps the time to do it."

Loial waited the polite twenty-five minutes, and upon seeing no one needed the necessary, he continued, "Yes, now, paper... as all know it is of vital importance to...."

Cracked me up!

I'd love to see Pevara POV and her thoughts regarding whats happening in the Black Tower. We could also be given her new insights into Androl and even Logain. Like say for instance Logain has arrived and Pevara/Androl are together and a few others and they're having a meeting with Logain who's arrived to mobilize them into action would be really cool. You could even put Demandrad arriving at the Black Tower in here with this and Pevara witnessing this lol. And then switch to Demandrad/Taim POV seeing what they're up to.

I think a seanchan POV with them attacking through the Tower's basements and nobody hardly even there will be shown.

A Talmanes POV or someone in the Band and what they're doing in an attempt to defend Caemlynn. Beyond that, not sure. Perhaps a final Forsaken meeting on whats what with 'em.

• 2 months later...

I would really like to see a POV of

-Lan POV of him about to die. Or who ever is saving Lan's POV. (I suspect Elyas, a green with the whole Ajah, Nynaeve, or wishful thinking Rand because of the whole book 9 scene when Rand refuses to let go of him till the sun tuns green)

-The remanding forsaken and there plans for the LB, with the POV of Demandred or Moridin. Preferably Demandred since we dont get to see POV's of him that often. Moridin would be sweet too him talking to the DO or getting a glimpse of his plans with the (majority or the) Chosen united to one cause more or less.

-Thom POV with Mat and Moraine

-Loial POV at stump or him talking about how it went down, and what their decision was

-Pevera POV at the Black Tower, or Narishma's POV coming to the tower and what he s observing and how to deal with it. Possibly a talk with Pevera, Androl or hopefuly Logain if he is not saving Lan:P.

-Rand POV of what he plans on doing about his dream about Lanfear (i suspect this may take half the book or more for what ever his decision is to play out.) Or how he plans to seal the bore this time

Honestly I like all the ideas they all have merit. But I would like the POV prologue to be Rand finally uniting the Seachan to his cause. Doesnt have to be from Rands POV or Tuon's. But that is what I would like the prologue to be about. Lets wrap that up and get to the LB already

Honestly I like all the ideas they all have merit. But I would like the POV prologue to be Rand finally uniting the Seachan to his cause. Doesnt have to be from Rands POV or Tuon's. But that is what I would like the prologue to be about. Lets wrap that up and get to the LB already

Ah, if only Myth. A couple of key events have to happen before peace or alliance is possible.

1) Mat must return with Moiraine.

2) Camelyn must be defended (Mat, again?).

3) Tuon and her party must join the accord and the Dragon's peace. It doesn't seem possible without Mat's help, considering how badly it went between Tuon and and Rand the first time.

I guess what I'm saying is: Mat is the key to the Seanchan, and is going to be tied up for a little while.

Actually, I think that the Seanchan have given us several of our most compelling characters. At the risk of going off subject:

1) Tylee Khirgan - An open-minded Seanchan. More, she's bold enough to champion change in a culture that frowns upon it.

2) Furyk Karede - He kept the doll.

3) Almurat Mor - The seeker who got it right, but wrong. Still, he figured enough out to lead Furyk to Tuon. Is not corrupt, and knew he was in danger from corrupt Seekers. Still, he acted.

4) Tuon herself - Capable of adjusting her thinking, which for a Seanchan, is a welcome complexity.

Maybe Tylee can help bridge this gulf (between Tuon and Rand). Who knows? I'd love to see her back onscreen.

1. Joline and Telynn meeting with the Egwene. Joline describing their escape from Ebou Dar and demanding penance for the way she treated Mat. Joline discussing with Egwene what a great general Mat is, saying she treated him like dirt and requesting a penance for that. Eqwene saying Mat can try even the most hardy souls and declaring the penance served for the time she spent with Mat. Tesyln rallying the red Ajah for the last battle and getting the white tower united to fight behind their new general Mat.

2. Lolail - rising to the occasion with this speech at the Stump - 4 or 5 pages written by RJ, Brandon, you've got a good heart, but this needs to be written by the Man.

3. Logain and his planning for the assualt on the Black Tower.

4. Perva (hard to not write Pervert) and Androl rallying the side of the light for the assualt on the BT, they will come for us type stuff. Getting all the male channeler's not turned to be ready for the breakout.

5. Taim, all his plans are so near to fruition, but at the last minute, he gets stabbed in the guts because he looked so down upon swordmanship.

• 10 months later...

A man who loves the hunt begins a new pursuit, red veils appear, and one of the Forsaken stands newly revealed. The forces of the Shadow swell in triumph as the world unravels. By grace and banners fallen, the Last Battle has come.

I was curious if I'd guessed anything right way back in August 2011. Turns out I did. Demandred.

Other than that, not great prognostication. Did anyone peg Slayer, the Red Veils (Barriga's killers from The Towers of Midnight epilogue), or Demandred?

I wanted to check the brief Loial section before commenting. My memory told me that he was about to speak. Indeed, that is as far as the storytelling has taken us. With all of the buildup, I really do think we will get to view Loial on the Stump, and have the opportunity to see his big moment in the Wheel of Time (so far... I also believe that he has a contribution to the Song).

The only logical place to stick this is in the prologue, therefore I will stick to my original assertion. This is a part of my Prologue plot contest entry. And I look forward to it more than any other POV that we might see.

For that matter, I do believe we will see the following POVs as well:

Tam and the Two Rivers, or possibly (just thought of this) Gawyn visiting the Two Rivers to ask Bran for his daughter's hand in marriage.

The Black Tower, this time with Pevara as the POV. We may even see her bond Androl. I hope so.

The Field of Merrilor, with the POV one of the farmers. Almen Bunt? Honestly, I can't guess which one.

Padan Fain, with an army of undead Trollocs behind him. Doing what I have no idea... Maybe headed north to Shayol Ghul.

Demandred, and his reveal. Finally.

I only meant to name six, but I can't escape mentioning this one:

Teslyn reporting to Egwene upon her return to the Tower. Don't forget that the Tower openly has Travelling now and Teslyn could get to Merrilor if Egwene is there.

That's my Prologue entry, and I'm sticking to it.

I agree - if we don't get a Loial at the Stump scene, we've been robbed.

What would it be though? A thirty page speech? Anything short of that would be waaay out of character for the Ogier.

This is one element where I agree with Brandon's choice entirely, covering by inference in the TofM header was a wise choice. Now when the Ogier rock up at a suitably heroic moment it won't seem completely out of the blue.

Mind you, though, if we don't learn anything more about the Book of Translation.... :D

I agree - if we don't get a Loial at the Stump scene, we've been robbed.

What would it be though? A thirty page speech? Anything short of that would be waaay out of character for the Ogier.

This is one element where I agree with Brandon's choice entirely, covering by inference in the TofM header was a wise choice. Now when the Ogier rock up at a suitably heroic moment it won't seem completely out of the blue.

Mind you, though, if we don't learn anything more about the Book of Translation.... :D

this is the one thing that must not be done.

I would like another sulin moment, if she is still alive.... can't remember

Archived