DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Worst Fates

Unfortunately, only the bad guys ever get killed in these books (which is kinda unrealistic, but whatevs). But some of the deaths or near-deaths are really terrible (albeit deserved in some cases). But which fates stand out as the worse?

I'd say Mesaana's brain getting scrambled has to be one of the top contenders. She's not dead, she's just dumb, literally, and it's a fate she'd have to endure until she dies. Definitely not the life of glory a Chosen would envision.

Also, the gholam that gets trapped via Skimming would boast a terrible fate. I don't think it has feelings, but it would have to be miserable to be lost in there for eternity, since it probably can't die.

Elaida's fate is hilarious because it's so ironic. Going from Amrylin Seat to mindless slave would suck. I'd say the same for Liandrin, since Moghedian trapped her with a weave that would prevent her from channeling and from killing herself, so she could only endure enslavement. Similarly, Galina's capture by Therava and a lifetime sentence as gaishan.

On that topic, Moghedian and Cyndane being mindtrapped.

And anyone who's been Compulsed.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sea Folk Windfinders captured by the Seanchan. Anyone made a Damane would be horrific of course but as a surfer I relate to the special attachment to the ocean while being free to travel the world thing. To go from that to being a Damane would be worse than death.

The future of the Aiel in Avi's vision is probably the absolute most tragic thing I can think of though.

Interesting note, Liandrin can only not die if any part of her still wants to live. So if she gets to the stage where there is nothing in her that wants to live, she will be able to knock herself off. I imagine she may get into a depressive enough state being denied saidar, or any of the benefits of the Great Lord

I always found Jaichim Carridin's death to be disturbing. I don't know if it was the death itself or the way Jordan wrote it, but that part always made me put down the book for a couple minutes.

Well, the fact that Shaidar Haran likes it, but Graendal not, compared with what Myrddraal like, lets me think it is not a good fate. I would say, worse than having to listen to someone else. I mean, the control Moridin has over Cyndane and Moghedien is very large, but as long as they fulfill his tasks, they don't have to fear for anything.

Not Hopper or Graendal? Or, in general, everyone who was killed by balefire?

Why balefire? It's a painless and instantaneous death. If I had to pick between balefire and any other form of violent death, I'd pick balefire every time.

Not Hopper or Graendal? Or, in general, everyone who was killed by balefire?

Why balefire? It's a painless and instantaneous death. If I had to pick between balefire and any other form of violent death, I'd pick balefire every time.

Because you'll never be reborn again with Balefire.

Balefire doesn't have that effect. It only prevents the Dark One from transplating the soul into a new body.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Scottsdale Public Library, Phoenix Arizona 16 November 2009 - kcf reporting

It was...mentioned that balefire does not mean that someone can’t be reborn into the Pattern. I was very surprised by this and hadn’t heard it before, but apparently Brandon has said it in previous Q&A sessions. Brandon said he was also surprised but that Maria was very insistent about this – so if the Dragon Reborn was balefired, he could still be reborn.

Balefire doesn't have that effect. It only prevents the Dark One from transplating the soul into a new body.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Scottsdale Public Library, Phoenix Arizona 16 November 2009 - kcf reporting

It was...mentioned that balefire does not mean that someone can’t be reborn into the Pattern. I was very surprised by this and hadn’t heard it before, but apparently Brandon has said it in previous Q&A sessions. Brandon said he was also surprised but that Maria was very insistent about this – so if the Dragon Reborn was balefired, he could still be reborn.

Sorry, I didn't knew this. It also declares why there are still Forsaken. This wouldn't be the first age they are getting balefired.

The Chosen aren't necessarily the same from Age to Age. For one, we know that the Pattern does not provide complete predetermination. For another, channelers can be subverted via the 13x13 method.

In fact, we have no reason to believe that any of the Chosen, except maybe Ishamael, are eternal servants of the Dark One.

The Chosen aren't necessarily the same from Age to Age. For one, we know that the Pattern does not provide complete predetermination. For another, channelers can be subverted via the 13x13 method.

In fact, we have no reason to believe that any of the Chosen, except maybe Ishamael, are eternal servants of the Dark One.

You're right, but IIRC channeling is from the soul (or at least partially). So there would just be only two strong channelers otherwise (the Dragon and the Nae'blis). All others would disappear if balefire destroyed someone forever.

Archived