DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Top Wizard's/Magic Guys in Fantasy

Asha'Dude

I've read a lot of fantasy, I Mean a looooooooot, Epic Fantasy,Sword and Sorcery, Whatever. I've also seen and enjoyed many characters in different books that use magic. I personally enjoy Gandalf, Merlin, Eragon, and Zedd. (Yes, I like the Inheritance series and I'm a Goodkindian.)I'm obviously forgetting some others that I like but these are all that comes to mind right now. What do you guys/gals like?

i'm gonna go ahead and say it. Voldemort.

changed his name, cowed an entire wizarding world to their knees twice and achieved immortality, plus beat death a few times. :baalzamon: anyone who mentions that Potter jerk will get an automatic Cruicio curse ... just saying :tongue:

It's not exactly a magic GUY, but Vin is a very cool character (from Mistborn).

Nor should Puc (Raymond E Feist) be forgotten in a list of top wizards.

Please if you are gonna big up the legend that is Pug please spell his name correct. Personally I prefer Nakor and Macros (Feist). Said before Nakors my fave character in fant so I have to go with him as my no.1

1.Nakor

2.Gandalf

3.Dobby

4.Logain

5.Leso Varen/Sidi (Positively evil)

In terms of other fantasy mediums, my number one is Link. He would count as a magic-user, right? I love him to pieces. <3

In terms of just fantasy magic-wielding people of awesomeness in general, I would defiantly pick Harry Potter and Rand. Kinda self-explanatory.

Kefka destroys Sephiroth.

I've always rather liked Kvothe from the Kingkiller Chronicles. He's kind of a Marty Stu subversion, or that's how I always read him, since it seems like he straight up caused his world's apocalypse.

Vin has a cool set of powers and is a great example of a series of average powers working in synergy to create a lot of power.

Also, Negi Springfield. Set up a gambit to steal the power of what was essentially the world's greatest still living hero and then used power against said hero. He's a manga character, but I'm still throwing it out there.

Son of Darkness, Knight of High House Dark, Mane of Chaos, Blacksword...Anomander Rake!

Oh yean and Quick Ben obvs...I would put him up against just about anyone!

Gonna second Quick Ben.

Dust of Dreams spoilers

"A concussion shook the very air, but it came from the Nah'ruk lines. A billowing black cloud rose like a stain of spilled ink. 'Gods, what was that?' Hedge's grin broadened 'That, soldiers, was Quick Ben.'"

and just after:

"'Got no one behind me, so keep throwing them my way, y'damned Geckos. Use it all up!'"

:biggrin:

Other great mages from the Malazan world includes Bottle, Beak (sad face) and Gothos (Freezing an entire continent so that Magic doesn't evolve, ever. Badass)

Gonna have to give the crown to Quick Ben though, he's like the Batman of Fantasy, always has a plan.

Ummmm..... Rand al'Thor/Lews Therin would have to be my favorite. Plus all the Forsaken, Taim, Logain, most of the Asha'man. Pretty much any magic user in WoT would be my favorite.

Outside of WoT? Merlin, Tayschrenn, Quick Ben, Bottle, Anomander Rake, Ganoes Paran (most anyone from Malazan who can use magic, there are a LOT of them), Brynden Rivers, Bran Stark, Varamyr Sixskins, Gandalf, Saruman, Vasher from Warbreaker, Corwin and Random in The Chronicles of Amber.

changed his name, cowed an entire wizarding world to their knees twice and achieved immortality, plus beat death a few times. :baalzamon: anyone who mentions that Potter jerk will get an automatic Cruicio curse ... just saying :tongue:

Big problem with Voldemort is his habit of continually doing the same thing over and over. Avada Kedavra! Avada Kedavra! Hmm, this isn't working. What should I try next? I know - Avada Kedavra - with a different wand! Voldemort, you genius. Of course, given that bad guys typically have tolose, they do tend to have pretty big weaknesses while similar idiocy on the parts of good guys benefit from plot shields.

Well, if we r discussing characters from other mediums of fantasy, then my most favourite is, by a country mile, Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7. The greatest character from the greatest game of all time.

I don't recall any character called Sephiroth in Ocarina of Time.

In terms of other fantasy mediums, my number one is Link. He would count as a magic-user, right? I love him to pieces. <3

In terms of just fantasy magic-wielding people of awesomeness in general, I would defiantly pick Harry Potter and Rand. Kinda self-explanatory.

Looks like someone has a cruciatus curse coming their way.

Anyway, some magic users I like: Darken Rahl (a tragic hero with a poor choice of friends, he tried to rid the world of the greatest threat it had and largely succeeded, falling at the final hurdle. His life's work was undone by the unpredictable, allowing a soul destroying monster and her love slave to rule in his stead. What, you didn't realise Wizard's First Rule let the bad guy win?), the Witch-King of Angmar, Horus Lupercal, Magnus the Red, Malekith, Kellhus, Aurang/Aurax (whichever one it is that uses magic), Rupert Giles, Wesley Wyndham-Price, Harry Potter Dresden.

Big problem with Voldemort is his habit of continually doing the same thing over and over. Avada Kedavra! Avada Kedavra! Hmm, this isn't working. What should I try next? I know - Avada Kedavra - with a different wand! Voldemort, you genius. Of course, given that bad guys typically have tolose, they do tend to have pretty big weaknesses while similar idiocy on the parts of good guys benefit from plot shields.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Hah! Seconded.

Nor should Puc (Raymond E Feist) be forgotten in a list of top wizards.

Please if you are gonna big up the legend that is Pug please spell his name correct. Personally I prefer Nakor and Macros (Feist). Said before Nakors my fave character in fant so I have to go with him as my no.1

If I could choose between being able to read and understand fluently in 3 languages, or remembering a last, barely-pronounced letter of a fictional character, which differs (in writing) according to the language, I'm sure knowing which language use Pug, which Puc would be my choice :biggrin:

NOT.

Well, if we r discussing characters from other mediums of fantasy, then my most favourite is, by a country mile, Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7. The greatest character from the greatest game of all time.

Looks like someone has a cruciatus curse coming their way.

Anyway, some magic users I like: Darken Rahl (a tragic hero with a poor choice of friends, he tried to rid the world of the greatest threat it had and largely succeeded, falling at the final hurdle. His life's work was undone by the unpredictable, allowing a soul destroying monster and her love slave to rule in his stead. What, you didn't realise Wizard's First Rule let the bad guy win?), the Witch-King of Angmar, Horus Lupercal, Magnus the Red, Malekith, Kellhus, Aurang/Aurax (whichever one it is that uses magic), Rupert Giles, Wesley Wyndham-Price, Harry Potter Dresden.

Best post in this thread.

Kellhus,

Second that and would also like to add Cleric!

I've mentioned it many times but White Luck Warrior was my favorite fantasy book this year by a good margin. The Skin Eater sections were reminiscent of Judge Holden and his gang in Blood Meridian and that of course is AWESOME.

wow and you guys call yourselves fantasy fans.....jk. i havent heard of alot of those names.

well to start. voldemort and harry potter are absolute tools! love the series but series flaws in character. second i like harry dresden. But he isnt powerful, i like his character though.

as for my favs:

1) Raistlan from Dragonlance Legends Trilogy

2) nathaniel from the Bartimaeus trilogy

Son of Darkness, Knight of High House Dark, Mane of Chaos, Blacksword...Anomander Rake!

Oh yean and Quick Ben obvs...I would put him up against just about anyone!

Gonna second Quick Ben.

Dust of Dreams spoilers

"A concussion shook the very air, but it came from the Nah'ruk lines. A billowing black cloud rose like a stain of spilled ink. 'Gods, what was that?' Hedge's grin broadened 'That, soldiers, was Quick Ben.'"

and just after:

"'Got no one behind me, so keep throwing them my way, y'damned Geckos. Use it all up!'"

:biggrin:

Other great mages from the Malazan world includes Bottle, Beak (sad face) and Gothos (Freezing an entire continent so that Magic doesn't evolve, ever. Badass)

Gonna have to give the crown to Quick Ben though, he's like the Batman of Fantasy, always has a plan.

Yes yes yes, frickin' yes. The moment I saw the title of this thread I was going to say Quick Ben.

Him and possibly Anomander Rake, but I'm not sure if he counts as a mage-type.

Also Melisandre, from ASoIaF, because come on she frickin

births some weird shadow demon babies right in front of Davos on his little boat, wtf

Mind frickin' blown

Archived