DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Meeting the Mistress of novices

Cainam

It was finally time for Sora to make her trip to Tar’ Valon. Her uncle had finished all the preparations for her journey and she was very nervous but yet very excited. She was finishing packing up all the things she would need for the long journey. She packed her stones game, tabac pipe and cask of good two rivers tabac and of course as many books of hers as she could fit into her trunks. Her uncle said the journey would take close to a month to make.

As she was finishing up packing her uncle came into the room he said “Are you almost ready Sora?” she said “Just packing the last of my books uncle.” He smiled as he watched her pack the rest of her books into the final trunk and said “Come here Sora I have something I want you to have.” He reached inside his coat pocket and fished out a small box and handed it to her. Sora looked at her uncle and then at the box as she opened it. Inside was a beautiful gold necklace and locket.

The locket was about an inch in diameter and ornately carved. On the bottom of the locket a small clasp held three rings. A Serpent ring and two plain gold rings. Her eyebrows rose slightly and she said “what is this uncle?” he gave a small smile and said “Sora that is your mother’s serpent ring and your parent’s wedding rings. I’ve held onto them for all these years so I could give them to you when the time was right. Open the locket girl.” As Sora opened the locket and looked inside she started to weep. It was a picture of her mother and father. Her uncle put his arm around her and said “I commissioned the best artist that I could find to put those in there so you could always look and see your parents.”

Sora hugged her uncle very tightly and said “Thank you. Oh thank you uncle Terol.” He stood up and walked to the door and summoned some servants to take her trunks to the wagons for the trip. He said “Sora get a good night’s rest. You leave in the morning.” She immediately looked up with questioning eyes “You’re not coming with me” she asked. “No Sora I cannot. I have an estate to run and to be honest I’m not sure these old bones care to make that journey. I’m sending Cotes and Kocam to keep you company and look after you.” He said. Sora lay in her bed for what seemed like forever. Her last thoughts before she drifted asleep were that she was finally leaving to follow in her mother’s footsteps.

The next morning Sora woke early. She quickly got dressed and gathered up her bag and put on her new necklace. It was finally the day. After she climbed into her saddle her uncle handed her another small bag. As she looked inside there was some gold and other coins. “Now before you get to Tar’ Valon I want you to take the time to stop at a dress maker.” He said. She started to protest and he held up his hand and she cut off immediately. He spoke softly to her “When you go to the tower to be tested I want you to look the part Sora. This is always what you wanted and you need to look your best. Remember your manors and also remember if you need to come home it has already been arranged.” Sora nodded and waved to her cousins and she gave her uncle a wry smile and said “Well I’m off to become an Aes Sedai.” And she heeled her horse into motion.

Her journey took her through Saldaea. It was a beautiful city in its own way and she tried her first ice peppers. Nothing prepared her for her ride into Tar’ Valon. As she approached the shining walls she was breathless. Her cousin had to take her reigns and guide her across the bridge into the city. She asked her cousin to find them an inn so she could look around the city for few days and get her a dress made for her introduction and testing.

They wondered around the city looking at the beauty and saw The Blue Cat. They got themselves rooms and Sora asked the innkeeper where she might find a dressmaker. The innkeeper looked at her and smiled and said “Well my dear there a many dressmakers in the city. I reckon you are going to the tower by that locket you’re wearing so I would recommend Tamore Alkohima's Dress Shop. The seamstress is one of the best in Tar Valon.” Sora thanked her very much and set out to find the shop. She went to the dressmaker and commissioned her dress. The dressmaker told her that it would be 3days to complete the dress so Sora decided to go and see the sights of Tar’ Valon. Sora visited the Kandori Merchants Guild Hall and the famed Ogier Grove inside Tar’ Valon.

Finally the day came to pick up her dress. She went to pick up her dress and then returned to the inn. Her cousins sent a request to the White Tower stating Sora’s intentions and Sora waited. She was so nervous she could hardly contain herself. She paced, smoked her pipe and even tried to play stones with her cousins but nothing seemed to reduce the stress. Finally early that evening a message from the tower arrived. Sora looked at it with wide eyes. Her cousin said “Well are you going to open it or just stare at it.” Sora carefully broke the seal and read the letter. “It's from Valeri Sedai The Mistress of Novices. She says she’ll see me tomorrow morning.” Sora let out a big breath of air. Now she had to prepare.

That night she could barely sleep. She tried and tried to think of how to approach this situation in a strategic manor where her outcome would be favorable. She couldn’t think of a way. She had read that the Aes Sedai where masters of strategy. Ever solution she thought of she knew that they would be ready for. So she just lay down and drifted off. The little she did she dreamed of greatness and of failing. She dreamt she was the Amyrlin and that she had defeated the Dark One. And she also dreamt that the Dark One captured and tortured her by showing her visions of her parents being brought back to life and killed over and over again.

She got up extra early and got dressed. She brushed her hair straight. It hung to the backs of her knees. She smoothed her new dress free of wrinkles. It was a white dress with green embroidery of horses running across the sleeves. She looked at herself in the mirror and felt uncomfortable. She hadn’t worn a dress in so very long. And since she was so small she thought she looked like a doll. She put on her necklace and locket and looked at her parents pictures. From them she felt more at peace.

She walked downstairs and was ready to head to the tower for her meeting when the innkeeper stopped her. “You’re going to the tower like that?” asked the innkeeper. Sora nodded and started to walk towards the door. The innkeeper said “Well if you are going at least let me do your hair child. You may have brushed it but it is still wild and unkempt.” Sora sighed and walked back to the innkeeper and said “Very well but please make it quick. I don’t want to be late.” The innkeeper took locks from the side of her head and braided them and tied the braid together at the back of her head. She also put a nice ribbon near the bottom of her hair to help keep the hair managed. She smiled and thank the innkeeper and left for the White Tower.

As she walked through the gates she stopped and looked up at the White Tower. If everything went as she had hoped it would this would be her new home. She looked back at her cousins with visible nervousness.Her cousins smiled at her and said "Go on Sora don't dally. Well be at the inn just in case you need us. Now we know you wont so if they will allow it please come say goodbye. She went to the waiting area and gave her name and said she was here to see Valeri Sedai. She sat down and looked at the pictures in her locket again and smiled slightly to herself. A novice tapped her on the shoulder and said “Valeri Sedai will see you now. Please follow me.” The novice looked at her locket eyes widening a little. She led her to the Mistress of Novices door where she knocked.

Valeri had just entered her study and made tea when there came a knock at the door. This would be the latest in a string of girls coming to be tested, Sora. Valeri had replied by messenger to the polite note the child had sent the previous evening. "Come in." she said as she poured two cups of tea, the heady Saldaean blend made her smile as she thought of her homeland.

The door was pushed open and a slight girl stepped through the door. The child was tiny! Clad in a white dress with green embroidery, her blonde hair was neatly braided and tied with a ribbon. The child's eyes widened as she looked around the room and took in Valeri herself. Valeri walked back to her large ornate timber desk and set the fine seafolk porcelain cups on the desk top.

As the child turned to face her a glint of gold at the child's neck caught Valeri's eye, a gold chain supported a large locket and three rings were hanging beneath it. Valeri moved to sit, but something about those rings drew her eyes back - one of them was a Great Serpent ring, now where under the light had the child got that from?

"Come in child, I am Valeri Kinaea, the Mistress of Novices, you may call me Valeri Sedai."

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Traditional Novices

Sora looked all around her in wide eyed astonishment as she entered the room. Her attention was soon snapped back as she saw Valeri Sedai. "Come in child, I am Valeri Kinaea, the Mistress of Novices, you may call me Valeri Sedai." she said. Sora bowed like a soldier arm across the chest bending at the wasted tell she was almost bent all the way to the ground." I am Sora Mantolias Veleri Sedai it is a pleasure to meet you." Sora Said in a very soft almost childlike voice.

Sora slowly walked towards the desk taking in every angle of the room. She fiddled with her dress obviously not used to wearing it she stood in front of the desk. Hands behind her back she stood proud but it was obvious she was shy by the way she looked away as often as she could. Sora blushed slightly as Valeri Sedai motioned for her to sit. She did so reluctantly and fiddled with her dress." I'm unsure where to begin or what to say Valeri Sedai. The only thing right now I know for certain is that I travelled all this way to become Aes Sedai." she said in almost a whisper. and she looked down into her lap.

The child took a few hesitant steps into the study. The blonde lass drew herself up and bowed - she bowed! And said "I am Sora Mantolias, Valeri Sedai it is a pleasure to meet you."

Valeri motioned for Sora to sit in the chair opposite her desk, it was a straight backed ornate chair with a cushion placed on it for comfort - though it could be removed if necessary. Sora sat and still wide eyed, she plucked nervously at her dress, the bow had proved to Valeri that the child was not used to wearing dresses. Shyly Sora tried to meet Valeri's eyes and succeeded in only blushing furiously. "I'm unsure where to begin or what to say Valeri Sedai. The only thing right now I know for certain is that I travelled all this way to become Aes Sedai."

"Well child," Valeri began, "we will see to testing you shortly. To start though why don't you tell me about yourself, and where you got that most unusual necklace from. Would you like some tea?"

Valeri pushed the fine porcelain teacup across the desk to Sora and then lifted her own cup to her lips and waited.

Valeri Sedai

Sora relaxed a little and said "Yes Valeri Sedai I would very much like some tea." Sora took a sip of her tea as she felt her throat was very dry. “I was raised by my uncle in Arad Doman on his estates. He is a horse trader and breeder.” Valeri Sedai leaned forward and said “please speak up child.” For her voice was almost a whisper. She took another sip of her tea and cleared her throat and did her best to speak louder. “My aunt died when I was five so it was just me and my cousins. I read a lot and learned to play stones with my uncle. I used to lose all the time until I got older and then I managed to win two out of three games.” She said with a little smile. “He taught me how to ride and about his trade. I guess he assumed I would stay and continue to live out my life there. When I was old enough I decided that I wanted to come to the White Tower and become Aes Sedai. ” She looked down at her necklace and said.

"Well Valeri Sedai this necklace was made for me by my uncle. The rings where my parents" she opened the locket and looked at the pictures as she continued. She grabbed each ring in turn without looking away from her parents. "This was my mother’s wedding ring and her great serpent ring. This was my father’s wedding ring. My mother was killed on her way back to the tower to the White Tower to give birth to me. I was born two months premature and was in pretty bad shape from what my uncle has told me." she absently wiped a stray tear off her cheek.

"You see Valeri Sedai my uncle had told me this story every night since I was old enough to remember. My parents were ambushed by Darkfriends and they died making sure I would live. My mother Anilinen Mantolias was of the Green Ajah" She clutched her locket tightly in her fist. Sora looked up with fright in her eyes. "You’re not going to take it away are you?"

Sora sipped her tea from the seafolk porcelain cup, the pale blue setting she used today had been a gift from one of the first Sisters she had seen raised through from Novice to Aes Sedai. The child held the cup in her hands, appearing to take comfort from the warmth exuding from it, “I was raised by my uncle in Arad Doman on his estates. He is a horse trader and breeder.”

Valeri leaned forward, straining to hear the soft spoken lass' words, "Please speak up child." she said gently with a smile.

Sora sipped her tea again and cleared her throat, “My aunt died when I was five so it was just me and my cousins. I read a lot and learned to play stones with my uncle. I used to lose all the time until I got older and then I managed to win two out of three games," Sora smiled, and Valeri could see that she had a great deal of love and respect for her Uncle, “He taught me how to ride and about his trade. I guess he assumed I would stay and continue to live out my life there. When I was old enough I decided that I wanted to come to the White Tower and become Aes Sedai.”

Sora went on to explain the significance of her locket and the rings, the first two were the wedding rings of her parents, but it was the Great Serpent ring that Valeri was interested in. "My mother Anilinen Mantolias was of the Green Ajah."

Valeri blinked in surprise, "You’re not going to take it away are you?" the girl said in a slightly panicked voice.

"Your mother, was Anilinen Mantolias?" the lass nodded, "And she was killed by darkfriends while returning to the Tower to give birth?" again Sora nodded.

Valeri sat back in her chair. No one had seen Anilinen in a long time, and it was common knowledge that she had married her Warder, but a baby?! It was possible Valeri supposed, as rare as it was, occasionally Sisters did have children. The child knew the names, and Valeri knew that Anilinen had had kin in Arad Doman. A baby? Valeri looked closer at the child, and memories of the child's mother as a Novice and Accepted flooded her mind. The girl did have her features...

Valeri composed herself. "We shall talk more of your parents later child but for now we must see if you have the ability to learn to channel."

Valeri opened the top drawer in mer desk and from it withdrew and polished blue gem. Valeri rose from her chair and moved around and knelt by Sora's side. "Look into the gem girl," she murmured, "focus all your thoughts and energy on the gem, think of nothing else."

In a remarkably short amount of time the gem flashed, just for a second and went dull again. Valeri closed her fingers around the gem and stood. Patting Sora's shoulder gently Valeri then returned to her seat. "Congratulations Sora, you can learn to channel."

Valeri Kinaea

Valeri Sedai sat back in her chair. Sora could see that she recognized the name and was wondering why Valeri Sedai looked so surprised to find out about this. Sora thought that the Amyrlin new everything that happened to the Aes Sedai. At least all the books she had read hinted towards that. She pushed the thought aside from her mind for the time being as Valeri Sedai said “We shall talk more of your parent’s later child but for now we must see if you have the ability to learn to channel."

Valeri Sedai opened the top drawer in her desk and from it withdrew and polished blue gem. Valeri Sedai rose from her chair and moved around and knelt by Sora's side. "Look into the gem girl," she murmured, "focus all your thoughts and energy on the gem, think of nothing else." Sora took a deep breath and emptied her mind of everything but the gem. In a remarkably short amount of time the gem flashed, just for a second and went dull again. Valeri Sedai closed her fingers around the gem and stood. Patting Sora's shoulder gently Valeri Sedai then returned to her seat. "Congratulations Sora, you can learn to channel."

Sora could not keep herself from smiling and it felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She was so afraid that she couldn’t learn to channel. Ever since she was old enough to truly grasp the stories her uncle told her she wanted to follow in her mother’s footsteps. Now she knew for certain she could honor her mother by learning to become an Aes Sedai. She looked down at her mother’s portrait and said softly “By the light and my hope of salvation” she took a breath to keep her voice even as she fought back tears. “Mother and father I will honor you and make you proud.”

She took control of herself and looked up to Valeri Sedai. “I would like to learn Valeri Sedai. I would like to learn to be an Aes Sedai. And if I’m not wrong you knew my mother or at least of my mother. Would you please tell me about her?” She looked at Valeri Sedai with a look of determination.

'r“I would like to learn Valeri Sedai. I would like to learn to be an Aes Sedai. And if I’m not wrong you knew my mother, or at least, of my mother. Would you please tell me about her?”

Valeri reached into the bottom drawer of her desk and lifted out the aged leather-bound Novice Book. The Keeping weave placed on the book ensured that it did not become damaged with time but Valeri still treated the document with a great deal of respect. "This Sora, is the Novice Book. Within it's pages are the records of every Novice the White Tower has ever held. I remember your mother." Valeri flipped through the pages until she found Anilinen's entry.

Valeri turned the book to show Sora her mother's Novice entry in the Novice Book. It was at the top of the page...

MoN.gif

"We need to speak about your mother child,"Valeri said gently, "but now is not the time or place. I would ask you to keep the identities of your parents quiet. Do not tell anyone until i have had a chance to discuss the issues with the Green Ajah child. Do you understand Sora?"

Glumly Sora nodded. Valeri turned the pages of the Novcie Book to the most recent pages and said "Sora, can you tell me you full name, place of birth and current age please."

As Sora spoke Valeri wrote the details into the Novice Book. Once done she set her pen down and smiled at Sora. "Welcome to Tar Valon, Sora Mantolias. Welcome to the White Tower Novice Sora."

Valeri Kinaea

Sora leaned forward slightly as Valeri Sedai reached into her desk and pulled out this aged leather bound tomb and set it down on in front of her. She watched with wide eyed reverence as Valeri Sedai said “This Sora is the Novice Book. Within its pages are the records of every Novice the White Tower has ever held. I remember your mother." she flipped through pages to an entry. As Valeri Sedai slowly and carefully turned the book towards Sora she could feel as though the breath was pulled from her and there was a lump in her throat.

At the top of the page she saw her mother’s entry. She smiled slightly as she imagined her mother sitting where she was feeling as she did. So afraid, so excited, and so unsure of what life would now bring her. Valeri Sedai gave her a minute to absorb what she was seeing. When she started to pull the book back in front of her Sora looked up and said “Thank you Valeri Sedai. You can never imagine how much that means to me and you honor us.”

Sora sat back still in thought when Valeri Sedai brought her to her attention by saying "We need to speak about your mother child, "Valeri said gently, "but now is not the time or place. I would ask you to keep the identities of your parents quiet. Do not tell anyone until I have had a chance to discuss the issues with the Green Ajah child. Do you understand Sora?" She nodded glumly.

She turned the pages carefully back to the most recent entries and said "Sora, can you tell me you full name, place of birth and current age please." Sora quickly answered “My full name is Sora Mantolias. I was born to days ride from Bandar Ebon. I am one month past my fourteenth name day.” She was still trying to take in everything that happened. With expert accuracy Valeri Sedai finished writing and put down her pen and looked to Sora and smiled "Welcome to Tar Valon, Sora Mantolias. Welcome to the White Tower Novice Sora." Sora’s heart raced. She was a novice. She had finally started her journey to make her dreams of following in her mother’s footsteps come true.

She smiled at Valeri Sedai and said. “Thank you again Valeri Sedai. It is good to be home.”

Valeri smiled at Sora then rose from her chair and went to the large antique cupboard that stood in the corner, from within it she took a pair of Novice dresses, several shifts, stockings, a belt, a belt pouch, and slippers - all in pristine Novice white.

She glided back to where Sora was seated and set the pile of garments on the desk beside her. As she made her way back to her own seat she said, "These garments are what Novices of the White Tower where. All of your own belongings will be stored away against the day you leave the Tower or are raised to Aes Sedai. When you get to your room you will find a trunk waiting, once you have packed your things away the porters will collect it."

Valeri wove a small thread of fire and warmed the tea pot before pouring each of them another cup of tea, "You may keep a few small trinkets or mementos, but they must stay in your room and may not be items of clothing."

Sora nodded her understanding as she sipped at her tea. "Now Sora. About your mother. I'm not sure you understand how unusual it is for an Aes Sedai to have a child. The Greens would usually arrange for such a child to be raised without the knowledge. You are something of a rarity i'm afraid. You must not speak of your mother to anyone until i give you leave to do so."

Valeri softened her tone, this next would probably prove painful to Sora, "And child, i need you to give me your mother's Great Serpent ring." Sora started to object but Valeri hushed her gently, "Sora, i cannot allow a Novice in the White Tower to be in possession of a Great Serpent ring, I will keep it safe against the day you are raised to Accepted. Then you can have your mother's ring as your own."

Valeri Kinaea

As Valeri Sedai smiled and gathered all of the novice clothing from the antique cupboard Sora’s heart begin to race. It was all beginning to set in. Valeri Sedai set the pile of clothing next to her and began to walk around the desk to retake her seat. Sora carefully picked up the clothes and set them in her lap. She glanced down at the dresses as though she had just been handed a priceless artifact from the time of legends. She smoothed the dresses with a pride and apprehension as she realized she was now going to have to wear dresses daily. As she was looking over her clothing Valeri Sedai said. "These garments are what Novices of the White Tower where. All of your own belongings will be stored away against the day you leave the Tower or are raised to Aes Sedai. When you get to your room you will find a trunk waiting, once you have packed your things away the porters will collect it."

Valeri wove a small thread of fire and warmed the tea pot before pouring each of them another cup of tea, "You may keep a few small trinkets or mementos, but they must stay in your room and may not be items of clothing." Sora nodded that she understood and said “Valeri Sedai all of my belongings are in the Blue Cat Inn with my cousins.” She looked down into her lap.”And if it’s possible can I say goodbye before they go home?”

"Now Sora, about your mother. I'm not sure you understand how unusual it is for an Aes Sedai to have a child. The Greens would usually arrange for such a child to be raised without the knowledge. You are something of a rarity I’m afraid. You must not speak of your mother to anyone until I give you leave to do so." Sora instantly straightened and got a look of defiance on her face. She scooted to the end of her seat and looked Valeri Sedai in the eyes and for the first time in her life she spoke with conviction and strength “My mother would have never given me away. She wanted me. If those filthy flaming Darkfriends hadn’t killed her and my father we would be a happy family right now.” As she spoke she got louder and louder and tears started to well up in her eyes. As soon as she got the words out of her mouth she started to cry. “I’m sorry Valeri Sedai. I shouldn’t have said that to you. It wasn’t your fault.” She hung her head.”I will not talk to anyone about my mother without your permission.”

Valeri softened her tone, this next would probably prove painful to Sora, "And child, I need you to give me your mother's Great Serpent ring." Sora started to object but Valeri hushed her gently, "Sora, I cannot allow a Novice in the White Tower to be in possession of a Great Serpent ring, I will keep it safe against the day you are raised to Accepted. Then you can have your mother's ring as your own." Sora carefully removed the Great Serpent ring from her locket with care. She examined every inch of the ring and reluctantly handed it to Valeri Sedai. She stood and again she bowed deeply to Valeri Sedai.

• 1 month later...

Valeri took the ring the Sora had so carefully examined before passing it to her. "It will be fine Sora, i will care for it as if it were my own. I promise you."

Valeri set the ring onto a fresh piece of parchment and carefully folded into into a pouch, she sealed the pouch with wax, then took up her pen and with her neat hand she wrote Sora Mantolias upon the pouch. She then locked it in her draw. "And there it shall remain until you are raised Accepted."

Sora stood and bowed to Valeri. "I thank you child, but you will have to learn to curtsey once you are in Novice White. I will have one of the other girls show you." Valeri smiled and lifted the small brass bell from her desk. it rang quietly but within minutes there was a tap at the door. "Come in child." Valeri called.

The door pushed open to reveal a Novice. "Ah Sora, this is Travia. She will show you to your new room, and show you the areas of the Tower you need to know about."

Sora nodded and bowed again before lifting the bundle of Novice Whites to her chest. "And Travia, please show Sora how to curtsey. You may go now. Sora, just remember my door is always open to you, no matter what you need."

Travia closed the door behind them and Valeri sat back in her chair, closing her eyes and enjoying the summer breeze that came through the open window.

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Novices