DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Demandred

Leyrann

Who is Demandred  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think Demandred is (first read my post, please))

• Lunar Galgan
    • King Roedran
    • Mazrim Taim
    • Jarid Sarand
    • Lord Bashere
    • Someone in Seanchan/Shara/Land of the Madmen
    • Other (please tell who)
  2. 2. Where had Demandred influence

• The Black Tower
    • Murandy
    • Seanchan mainland
    • Seanchan Randland
    • Land of the Madmen
    • Dragon's Empire
    • Borderland army
    • Other (again, please tell where)

Most of the astonishment seems related to the One Power.

True but we are not always told everything. I'm pretty sure that Semi would have been unpleasantly surprised at Mat's anhilation of big numbers of Seanchan who may lose battles but never wars. We just didn't hear about it because she was off in Seanchan on a murderous rampage.

I just think Dem being roe would be a huge anti-climax and if he was, would most likely get his butt kicked at caemlyn by Mat and be as lame as his peers. Since we've waited so long for him to show himself I hope he will be a badass and give us some suspence and give our heros something to sweat about. I think that being in control of all DF channellers would fit into that. I maybe wrong but wasn't the 80 and 1 something along those lines.

What's the 80 and 1? It makes me think of 'the 9 pieces of 8' (Pirates of the Caribbean).

"She was a clerk" Rand said "During the Age of Legands. Demandred, when he can for me after founding the Eighty and One" (ToM A Testing)

I maybe wrong (no doubt someone will tell me if I am) but I have thought of the Eighty and One as Demandreds own version of the Hundred Companions, it seems like something he would do as he always trying to out do LTT.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could be right but I don't think D gathering 81 dreadlords would be referred to as "founding". Anyway, didn't Lews have 123 companions (or close to that number, dredged it from memory)? If D wanted to outdo that I'd think he'd go for 150 or something...

The only things 'founded' in the books that I am aware of are nations, the WT and the BT. Maybe rumour will spread and Birgitte can spill. Could it be the 80 surviving AS and 1 Amyrlin 'founding' the WT with the aid of Birgitte and Gaidal and probably others too?

You could be right but I don't think D gathering 81 dreadlords would be referred to as "founding". Anyway, didn't Lews have 123 companions (or close to that number, dredged it from memory)? If D wanted to outdo that I'd think he'd go for 150 or something...

The only things 'founded' in the books that I am aware of are nations, the WT and the BT. Maybe rumour will spread and Birgitte can spill. Could it be the 80 surviving AS and 1 Amyrlin 'founding' the WT with the aid of Birgitte and Gaidal and probably others too?

I would of thought the 80 and 1 would play to D's ego ie: 80 elite DF channllers lead by THE ONE D himself.

Also I think "founded" could apply the start of some special DF company "founded" by D.

I would of thought the 80 and 1 would play to D's ego ie: 80 elite DF channllers lead by THE ONE D himself.

Also I think "founded" could apply the start of some special DF company "founded" by D.

If so, wouldn't he then call them "my 80"?

If so, wouldn't he then call them "my 80"?

Maybe he thought the 80 and 1 sounded cooler? I do

Maybe he thought the 80 and 1 sounded cooler? I do

Me too.

Definitely Roedran. Although I'm finding it hard to care at this stage... Dem crossed the line from 'Mysterious' to 'Absentee' a good few books back. Moridin is the only interesting Forsaken left at this stage. Well, Taim as well obv, if he's been inducted into their ranks yet.

i think it Shara. it would be a real easy place to take over and they can travel through gateways

I agree. A Sharan army including channelers would have an actual substantive effect of a reasonable magnitude, unlike a small army of Murandians who would run away at the first sign of a Trolloc. For that matter boiling half a million trollocs through any random waygate would do an order of magnitude more damage. Cannon fodder doesn't seem to be something the Dark is short on- channelers on the other hand...

besides the things I posted in this post, the name is another thing. The other Forsaken that had/have aliases, their alias's name is no longer than 2 names.

Roedran's full name is Roedran Almaric do Arreloa a'Naloy. I count 4 names in that.

I.. wait.. I don't even get what you're saying here. That's no proof at all.

Edit: In fact, on third and fourth review of trying to understand your point it makes me ignore your other points which I haven't even read yet because if you believe the above means anything then there's no reason for me to continue.

i think it Shara. it would be a real easy place to take over and they can travel through gateways

I agree. A Sharan army including channelers would have an actual substantive effect of a reasonable magnitude, unlike a small army of Murandians who would run away at the first sign of a Trolloc. For that matter boiling half a million trollocs through any random waygate would do an order of magnitude more damage. Cannon fodder doesn't seem to be something the Dark is short on- channelers on the other hand...

I think its too late to include Shara in any meaningful way. It took two full books, and earlier exposure, to make the Aiel Instant Army gel, this would be too much to include in one book.

That's to say there mightn't be a play here--I've suggested before the possibility of a Shadow induced Sharan invasion of the Waste (largely occuring offscreen) in a bid to try and draw the Aiel away from Rand and out of Tarmon Gai'don. Then it wouldn't be fighting the Sharans (which would need development of the Sharans) that was the plot point, but rather the internal Aiel dilema--to abandon their homes, or follow through on their Oath to be at Shayol Goul on the last day to spit in sightblinders eye.

The fog and steel issue is one of the major reasons I think demandred is NOT king roedran. The Forsakens arragance in scorning anything that belongs to a (according to them) lesser age is clear to see and Dem seems the most arragont of the bunch, plus the fact he had a copy bound as a gift for Talmanes seems out of charactor, as Dem doesn't seem the giving type. But the biggest reason for him not being roe is Murandy is simply not powerful enough, I have heard the point made that murandy has a very high population but it doesn't wash, to turn a nation that has been divided for centuries into a world power in less than a year is not possable no matter how many people live there. No. I think Dem pulls Taims strings.

I think he does both. He is King Roedran, but he ALSO pulls Taim's strings.

It is not. We know that Demandred has been mentioned in the books.

That's no proof at all.

I don't think @mb suggested this proves anything per se. It's more by way of thematic evidence.

Not that I necessarily believe there's something to it, but it's still nice to note.

Ah yeah, I didn't mean it to sound like that, my fault.

• 5 months later...

I realize we're beating a dead horse here, but I'm doing a reread and just came across this.

Lord of Chaos, Chapter 6 p. 180:

"I am trying to bring us together, Sammael, before it is too--"

He cut in sharply. "You deliver a message to Demandred from me. Tell him I know what he is up to." Events to the south had Demandred's mark all over them. Demandred had always liked using proxies. "Tell him to be careful. I won't have him or his friends interfering in my plans." Perhaps he could direct al'Thor's attention there; that would likely put an end to him."

This scene is when Sammael visits Graendal at her palace in Arad Doman to get an update on the other Forsakens' meeting. Events to the South of there could be referring to the Hailene, which occurred just to the south (Toman Head). South of Illian is the Isle of the Sea Folk, but that doesn't make sense--what events would Sammael be referring to? The Seanchan have obviously been causing issues, with armies involved, and Demandred could have sent the Hailene (his proxies) to add fuel to the fire without getting directly involved. It seems far too coincidental that the Hailene arrived on the mainland when they did; who better to be the force behind them than a Forsaken?

I don't remember if Galgan gets "screen time" before Knife of Dreams, but I strongly believe Demandred is in Seanchan, pulling strings.

I don't remember if Galgan gets "screen time" before Knife of Dreams, but I strongly believe Demandred is in Seanchan, pulling strings.

BS stated that we have not seen Demandred's alter-ego on screen as of KoD and he or his alter-ego was not seen in ToM. Galgan's first on screen appearance was the KoD prologue and has been in every book since.

So either we are looking for someone that was only in tGS or he wasn't in that book either. We have not had any confirmation one way or the other for tGS.

Nov 19th 2009 tGS signing

Someone asked for clarification about whether we had seen Mesaana's and Demandred's alter-egos on screen. Sanderson said that we had seen Mesaana's alter-ego on screen as of Knife of Dreams, but that we had not seen Demandred's alter-ego on screen as of Knife of Dreams. Sanderson would not elaborate on whether Demandred's alter-ego had been seen in The Gathering Storm—Sanderson didn't want to narrow down the suspects for us if Demandred really had appeared in The Gathering Storm.

Nov 7th 2010 ToM signing Q: Was Demandred or his proxy in Towers of Midnight?

A: No he was not; he will be in A Memory of Light.

However, when asked during the tGS signing whether Demandrd or his alter-ego had been seen since CoT, he played coy. Was he in tGS or just misleading us? Your call.

Nov 19th 2009 tGS signing

Q: Has Demandred's alter ego been seen since Crossroads of Twilight?

Brandon: That is a good question, but I'm not going to answer it.

It is not. We know that Demandred has been mentioned in the books.

I think you are misunderstanding RJ's quote here. While you could be right, I believe he was being a bit humorous. He didn't mean that Demandred, if he has an alter ego, appeared (in name) between 1-9. The question was should we be able to figure out who Demandred is. And the answer is simple. Yes. He is Demandred, one of the Forsaken. Thus the reply of "Err..... Yeah."

Besides, even if he was referring to his alter ego. Being able to figure it out does not necessarily mean that the specific name of the character has been mentioned. It could just as easily mean we can figure out where he holds influence.

Point being, it is hardly proof that his alter ego is a name mentioned in 1-9.

Edit: In regards to Kronik's post, what leads you to believe that Shara would be "easy" to take over?

Archived