A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thoughts on Towers of Midnight

jahnfriederik

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will die at Tarmon Gai'don

• Rand al'Thor
    • Perrin Aybara
    • Mat Cauthon

I finished the book yesterday (started it yesterday too .. I know, a bit late, but I just graduated: I've been busy) and I've been thinking a bit about it, about the series in general, and also about the upcoming book. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that as well as the rest of this post.

So, without further ado... I think The Wheel of Time means something special to anyone who has read every book published (so far). Fantasy, more, perhaps, than other writing, gains a lot of its meaning through breadth: I can't think of a successful (in the literary sense? I'm not sure what I mean) standalone fantasy novel, except perhaps some of Le Guin's writings (Gifts, anyone?). And even that is good in an entirely different way from high fantasy. Robin Hobb's (original) set of trilogies spanned 9 books, enough to create a world much more fully formed, much more real, than anything Tolkien came up with. And that's not to say The Wheel of Time is good because of it's length - rather, it too creates a world that seems entirely complete. There is never the sense that Jordan limits himself because of his medium (though I am sure he must have done).

So that's the good, I guess, or at least a very small part of it. I think the WoT has some some great character development, just the right amount of mystery, and one of the best-conceived systems of magic ever. It's the richness of imagination that we immerse ourselves in, reading Robert Jordan, I think.

At the same time a lot of WoT fans get a bit obsessed with the series, and don't like hearing anything bad about it (unless we can conveniently place the blame at Sanderson's feet). I think Robert Jordan sometimes falls into the 'naming' game, inventing too many seemingly whimsical names. So many fantasy worlds have an 'Old Tongue' or 'Ancient Language'. There is something more fully formed, perhaps, about Jordan's 'Aes Sedai' - after 13 books we've certainly grown familiar with them - but at the same time he goes to great lengths, particularly with the Seanchan, to invent names. Languages do vary, but not necessarily in the flowery titles granted to various troops of soldiers. There is also perhaps a strain of repetitiveness in the books, more than can be justified by its breadth. Readers, especially casual readers, especially of fantasy, do need to be reminded of previous events. But if I had a penny for every time Lan's face was 'stone-like' or, well, basically anyone from the Two Rivers was described as 'stubborn as a mule (when s/he digs his/her heels in...)'. Mat's remarks on servant girls ('for Talmanes') seem just a little forced. The only other clumsiness in writing that I can recall (haven't read the other books in two years, though) has to do with anachronisms, like 'things', creeping into characters' speech. I think that might be Sanderson - if so, the editor's should have caught. But that's okay. All fantasy has its faults. Oh, and I thought the bit with Rand on Dragonmount was a little clumsy. It must have been a hard scene to write, with so much leading up to it (the True Power idea was brilliant), but when a voice in your head goes 'Could it be... maybe it's so that we can have a second chance', well, you should probably run. Sidenote on the One Power: war without it doesn't really make sense once it exists, as Rand proved in Maradon, whatever he may claim about being tired. The Shadow or the Seanchan could do so much damage to people who can't channel, like Gawyn, but instead they send insanely fast swordsmen so he can prove his love and mettle. But this is a minor flaw, I think -- certain leeway has to be granted with a premise this ambitious.

That was longer than I wanted it to be .. anyways. Onto (the?) Towers of Midnight. If ever I doubted Sanderson, I don't anymore. Mat was almost too funny (did he use to be? I only remember him in The Gathering Storm), and I can't even remember how long I've been waiting for the Tower of Ghenjei scene. Probably since before puberty (yes, I'm young -- all arrogance in this post is humbly apologized for as unintentional). Rhythms have been a little weird, with a lot of time on Perrin's ordeals and Mat's journey, and now suddenly all the armies marching on Shayon Ghul, but I doubt it's possible to do it any other way. This series could easily have lasted 20 books. The pieces are falling into place, though, the Black Ajah (mostly) cleansed, the last gholem slain, Rand sane, power consolidated... the Forsaken, too, are dying. All in all, I can't wait (really can't wait!) for the last book.

So, then, finally, my predictions. Rand and the forces of Light will triumph, but only by a hair. One of the three - probably Perrin - will have to die, and other important and well-loved characters too. At least two of the Great Generals, possibly Thom, possibly Loial. Aviendha will find a way to change the future (how can it have been a certain future? we aren't even supposed to know if the Dragon wins yet) -- I have to say, reading that scene was probably the worst feeling I've had so far in the entire series. No joke. First I thought he was giving them guns in the Age of Legends (another old fantasy ploy: the world of magic arose after a nuclear fallout that destroyed all of human culture and history and almost all of its people as well). Then I realized it was the future, and that almost seemed worse .. but clearly we're not going there. There are rules to fantasy, fans to appease. Moridin will die. Probably all of the Forsaken will, although it would be cool if some of them had last thoughts about their allegiance, like Verin (who, by the way, is officially my favourite WoT character). Um, other things.. it's hard to say whether or not the Dark One will be finally destroyed, or the Bore simply resealed. The first would be highly idealistic, but there are no real limits on scale at this stage. I suspected the bit about Farstrider earlier on ('Jain used to complain about it') and it was cool to have it confirmed. The BUT lived up to its name - I never even tried sorting out Mat's Finnland gifts. Still, Moraine is back, and it won't be easy, coming up with something crucial for her to do now. I truly believed that the bit with Tam Al'Thor wouldn't work without her.

The Black Tower is perhaps the scariest 'scheme' of the Shadow underway. Logain will have some role to play, and the Two Rivers channelers, and the guy who can make tiny gateways, but I think we'll still end up with large swathes of Asha'man on the wrong side of Tarmon Gai'don. Which will make it much more exciting, of course...

Finally - Callandor. Lots of theories about this. Destroying the (male) Choedan Kal would have been much cooler if it were "flawed" instead of Callandor.. I confess I don't entirely understand Rand's motivations there. Still, Min's viewing is scary: 'Callandor being gripped in a black hand.' That could merely mean Asha'man (or a new hand crafted by the One Power for Rand) but both seem unlikely, I'd guess it means the Black Ajah or worse. Doubt Rand could be deceived by a Black Asha'man anymore, so I expect it will be taken from him. Or even more scary, he will go back to that darkness, the one that clings still to his mind like Compulsion - remnants, I suppose, of insanity caused by the taint? Maybe that is where Moraine will find her part to play.

Okay, massively long post. Shows how obsessive I can get too. Glad to have the weight off my shoulders though (Death is lighter than..)

Jahn

So, then, finally, my predictions. Rand and the forces of Light will triumph, but only by a hair. One of the three - probably Perrin - will have to die,

Perrin will almost certainly not die, at least not permanently. he has some unresolved viewing to fulfill (Trees flowering around him and the broken crown of Saldaea). All of this will pretty much have to occur after the LB. Mat will survive too because RJ said so in interviews.

Rand will die in the LB but then be resurrected and the only question is whether he will die again or live past LB.

and other important and well-loved characters too. At least two of the Great Generals, possibly Thom, possibly Loial.

Loial won't die. He has a book to write and it will only be published after the LB is over (we've seen several excerpts from it).

Aviendha will find a way to change the future (how can it have been a certain future? we aren't even supposed to know if the Dragon wins yet) -- I have to say, reading that scene was probably the worst feeling I've had so far in the entire series. No joke. First I thought he was giving them guns in the Age of Legends (another old fantasy ploy: the world of magic arose after a nuclear fallout that destroyed all of human culture and history and almost all of its people as well). Then I realized it was the future, and that almost seemed worse .. but clearly we're not going there. There are rules to fantasy, fans to appease.

yes, nothing of those visions will come to pass. Their sole purpose was to show Avi that the Aiel need to change their ways.

Moridin will die. Probably all of the Forsaken will, although it would be cool if some of them had last thoughts about their allegiance, like Verin (who, by the way, is officially my favourite WoT character). Um, other things.. it's hard to say whether or not the Dark One will be finally destroyed, or the Bore simply resealed. The first would be highly idealistic, but there are no real limits on scale at this stage. I suspected the bit about Farstrider earlier on ('Jain used to complain about it') and it was cool to have it confirmed. The BUT lived up to its name - I never even tried sorting out Mat's Finnland gifts. Still, Moraine is back, and it won't be easy, coming up with something crucial for her to do now. I truly believed that the bit with Tam Al'Thor wouldn't work without her.

The Black Tower is perhaps the scariest 'scheme' of the Shadow underway. Logain will have some role to play, and the Two Rivers channelers, and the guy who can make tiny gateways, but I think we'll still end up with large swathes of Asha'man on the wrong side of Tarmon Gai'don. Which will make it much more exciting, of course...

Finally - Callandor. Lots of theories about this. Destroying the (male) Choedan Kal would have been much cooler if it were "flawed" instead of Callandor.. I confess I don't entirely understand Rand's motivations there.

They were never entirely clarified.

Still, Min's viewing is scary: 'Callandor being gripped in a black hand.' That could merely mean Asha'man (or a new hand crafted by the One Power for Rand) but both seem unlikely, I'd guess it means the Black Ajah or worse.

Callandor is a male sa'angreal. Black Ajah could not use it other than as a big stick.

Doubt Rand could be deceived by a Black Asha'man anymore, so I expect it will be taken from him. Or even more scary, he will go back to that darkness,

Something like this might happen. Sanderson said that there will be consequences of Rand using TP. There is also the foreshadowing about Rand switching sides several times in tPoD prologue when Moridin is playing sha'rha. Lastly, there is the dark prophecy from TGH suggesting that Rand will serve Lanfear which has not happened yet.

the one that clings still to his mind like Compulsion - remnants, I suppose, of insanity caused by the taint? Maybe that is where Moraine will find her part to play.

Okay, massively long post. Shows how obsessive I can get too. Glad to have the weight off my shoulders though (Death is lighter than..)

Jahn

Archived