DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sleepless in the Dreamworld

Nephuria smiled pleasantly as each apprentice entered the Dream. "You have done well so far, let us move to the center of the Hold," she shifted and was gone Her voice spoke to them, seeming from no where. "Seek me, will yourself to move where I have gone, I am your anchor, find me."

She stood alone, looking at the altering carts of traders and permanent residences of the Hold it's self. Everything was awash with strange light, but she was accustomed to that, and the feel of being watched constantly. Her shirt of algode and linen skirts were traditional, she appeared as they would expect her to appear in the waking world.

She waited for a moment, and felt after the other two; should one go astray, she would pull her back here, or send her to waking. It took a long time to learn to impose one's will on another, and even more training to stop it, she could force them from the dream easily for now.

Edited by Amore

As Adai stood up the pillow she had been sitting on blinked out of existence. She stared at the spot it had been in for a breif moment then looked up at the Wise One. As she saw the woman fully dressed in the clothes she had been wearing in the waking world Adai realized for the first time that she was not dressed. Her face turned sun-kissed red and the thought flickered in her mind of what she had been wearing moments before. As the thought flickered in the clothes appeared on her and as the thought flickered away again so did the outfit.

Determinedly Adai thought the clothes back on herself and the Wise One began to speak to the girls, without a second of acknowledgement to Adai's condition. "You have done well so far, let us move to the center of the Hold," was all the Wise One said before she dissappeard. Adai's muscles tensioned, ready to attack, until her mind could process what had happened. Wow, anything really is possible here! she thought. Suddenly Adai heard the voice of the Wise One from all around her, and from nowhere "Seek me, will yourself to move where I have gone, I am your anchor, find me."

Adai stood for few moments, still shocked at the new surroundings and the reality of what the Wise One had done. So much she wanted to explore in this world, so much she wanted to do. It was all she could do to stop herself thinking of the 'what ifs' and 'I wonder if I cans'. But she managed to keep her mind focused. Still, where had the Wise One gone? Adai peered out into the far reaches of where she could see. She knew she woudln't spot the Wise One but she looked for her just the same.

It took a while for her to figure out how relax, let go, and seek the woman like she had been told to do and Adia watched as Rixan closed her eyes, and after a few moments the other Apprentace blinked away just as the Wise One had. With a hint of hurt and anger at not being the first of the two to get there Adai closed her eyes and pushed the emotions away. Without the distractions of the false structures around her Adai focused her thoughts on finding the Wise One. She knew she would be at center of the hold, and she tried to imagine herself there. She didn't believe it would work, and twice she opened her eyes to find she hadn't moved. The girl scowled, but tried again. If Rixan could blink away, then I can too!

After letting the emotions slip from her, Adai let her mind reach out to the Wise One and let the details of the new location firm in her mind. Believing she would see Nephuria's face when her eyes opened, Adai let herself look. Sure enough, Adai had done it. She was standing in the center of the hold, standing next to Rixan, facing the Wise One. She couldn't hold back the smile that crossed her face, but she scowled soon after as she realized that once again, her clothes were gone. She quickly thought them back and tried to keep her anger from showing. She had thought she had controlled that back when they were in the tent! She didn't have to put her clothes back on every time she left a room in the waking world, why did she have to do it here?

Adailinra Desn

~ WO-to-be

Blackness faded into brown and then colors. A tent stood around her; the same tent that she'd been sitting in before drifting off to sleep. The Wise One sat across from the 'fire' – flames occasionally flickering upward; the pit occasionally empty. Rixan looked around in earnest. Everything appeared to be the same and yet not. The air seemed to hold a slight shimmer every so often and the apprentice could feel unseen eyes watching her. As if wanting to know what she would do next. That wasn't particularly comfortable, but she supposed she could get used to it in time.

A flicker of movement to the right caused Rixan to whip her head around. To her right, sitting on a pillow was the other apprentice, Adai. Adai was dressed, or not dressed as the case may be, as if she were in the sweat tent. Foolishly, Rixan let go of the spear that had appeared in her hand. It vanished before it hit the ground. Well that is decidedly different. The girls stared at one another and then Adai stood. The Wise One drew their attention back to her as she spoke. "You have done well so far, let us move to the center of the Hold," she appeared to vibrate in place for a split second and then disappeared. Her disembodied voice spoke to them. "Seek me, will yourself to move where I have gone, I am your anchor, find me."

Rixan frowned. She was not going to question the Wise Ones – her greatmother would give her no end of a tongue lashing for that, but how was this training? She and Adai were supposed to play hide and go seek like young girls with their hair still braided? It was enough to drive her mad. She was already exhausted, and now a game? Relax. Nephuria would not damage your honor by treating you as a child if this were in the Threefold land. However, in the Dream World you are a child and she is the knowledgable one. Trust her. Closing her eyes, Rixan loosened all of her muscles as the Wise One had instructed her in the real world and focused on Nephuria's voice. In her head, she imagined a long rope connecting the two of them. As the apprentice pulled along the rope, the Wise One's voice gained in volume.

Opening her eyes, she once again found Nephuria's smiling face directed toward her. It was probably not the smoothest technique, nor the fastest, but it had worked. Looking around in wonder, Rixan watched as people appeared and then disappeared, faster than she could call out. The hold appeared much as it always did, albeit strange in appearance due to the lack of people. What secrets this place must hold. I cannot wait until I am fully trained and can...pull my own weight for the Clan. Just like greatmother and Jaeric. Rixan dropped her hands to her skirts, and upon hearing a jingle looked down. She was wearing her greatmother's bracelets! In horror, she reached up and felt the scarf and wiry gray hair. No! she thought in a burst of anger at herself, willing herself back into the clothes she'd been wearing as they'd entered the dream state. Only cleaner. No dust clung to her clothes here.

Nephuria ignored the girls flicker of clothing, knowing only time here would see an end to that, and tasks that made the mind focus on one thing at a time during the day, soon that would be a part of their apprentice duties, though they probably wouldn't see the connection. Her shirt and skirt kept easily, for that was what she wore, she never thought of herself naked. Even now she wanted to giggle while dressed properly. Of course she did not.

"Feelings here, are weapons, one must be careful to avoid showing too much of themselves to others. You will learn more on this later," she eyed Rixan. Nephuria had felt the girl's will push against her own softly, but before she'd appeared it'd gone. That is a lesson for later as I said.

All three of them would feel as if the world shifted slightly, and indeed they would be amid the Waste, sun beating down, as she allowed it's reality and neither of the girls thought to deny it for it was as the Waste should be. Nephuria smiled at them as she walked forward, clouds gathering from the endless skies, rain fell onto the waste, grass grew lush. "In this world there is much you can change; my Teachers told me I had an affinity for bending the dream, forcing the view to my way of things. I suppose she wass right, though I don't know a true way to find out."

She stopped the rains, the grass remaining. "You will learn to do much here to help the clan. As you found me, you must find each Hold or Sept. Seek them, they always have at least one Wise One attending the dream. This is how we claim an in-claimable land, by being the ties between Sept and Holds. Distance, time, it is of no warrant to us. We pass word, we keep tally. It is much more a burden to have the Gift of the Dream than to not. You will learn to bend the dream to your will, and to deny nightmares; when they confront you.

For now I want you each to stand before me." she waited, and then she forced the image of them both wearing small dresses, there hair in pig tails, and a doll in their right hand, the sign of an Aiel girl Child.

"Here you are still children, deny my authority over you, know that you are not a child, know who you are. It's your foundation, what you must always remember to return to if lost in a dream. Find our anchor, and keep it safe; some dreams hold stronger than any magic. Find your anchor, what makes you, you. Make me see you are not a child."

Edited by Amore

The sun beat down on the apprentice and Waste seemed to go on forever here as it did in the waking world. There seemed to be shift to it, as if it was fluid. Adai hadn't noticed it until she stopped and really too the time to look at the world around her. She tried not to let it distract her, but she was quite curious about it. Staring blankly at the affect or the things that came and went in an instance wasn't going to help her learn how and why it was like that. She was here to learn, but the Wise One would teach her what she needed to know as she did. This was a question she could ask when they woke, for now she had to learn what she could only learn in the dreamworld.

She stopped searching for who was watching her, she could feel eyes on her, but could not see who was watching her. Perhaps it was the other Wise Ones, watching the lesson from their dreams. She didn't know if it was possible, but having an answer for the eyes, even if it was incorrect, put her more at ease.

She pulled her thoughts back to the Waste and the dirt under her feet as the three walked. As clouds rolled in and water unnaturally poured over waste Adai's shifted her eyes unsure of how to react. Grass grew up from the ground around her and she stepped back to get out of its way. Her heart was racing. How was this happening? For a brief moment she worried about the people in the waking world, but she calmed when she realized that it was only happening here.

The Wise One eased her even more when she explained that she had been the one to bring the rain. This place moved, and reformed, and Adai could change things to. It was hard to believe that her thoughts alone could change the world around her, but she had proof of it.

As the Wise One spoke she felt her hair shift into pigtails and a doll appeared in her arm. I know I'm insecure here, but I did think of this! I controlled what I was wearing. She tried to fight the change, think herself back into her usual clothing but this time it didn't work. The Wise One began to speak and Adai learned it was simply the Wise One's thoughts that forced her into the apparel of child. When the Wise One told her change back she tried.

I am not a child, she thought. I am an apprentice to the Wise Ones. Nothing. Adai straightened her back and threw down the doll, it landed with a thud on the ground. I am an Apprentice she thought and felt the clothes shift slightly. They were still there, but she had begun to have an effect on them. She pushed further, stronger. I am not a child! I am Adailinra Desn, Aprentice to the Wise Ones! I am grown! Suddenly there was nothing to push against anymore and she looked down to see her standing with her hair down and her regular clothes on. She realised she was still glaring at the Wise One and she hung her head slightly. She wasn't supposed to show her anger.

Adailinra Desn

~ WO-to-be

Ooc: WTH!?? I posted this yesterday! It even showed up on my computer as posted but now it's not here?? Sorry guys. I really did post it yesterday.

*makes note to ask Myst about it*

----

Rixan felt the need to gulp as Nephuria eyed her. What had she done to make the Wise One look askance at her? She glanced at the other apprentice quickly. She stood there in her normal garb, placid but curious. "Feelings here, are weapons, one must be careful to avoid showing too much of themselves to others. You will learn more on this later," said the older woman, bringing their attention back to her. A flush started to creep up into her cheeks, but Rixan willed it away. There is no shame in learning something new. We all must mistakes in order to learn. A lesson taught to her long ago by her greatmother. Still, it was difficult to accept that even a thought would change things here.

As the trio was standing under the hot sun of the Threefold land, Rixan noticed that they were not sweating – not a single bead of moisture had formed on her skin. It was interesting. As soon as she imagined it, however, she was instantly damp. Raising an eyebrow, she stared at her arm and imagined, no willed, it to be dry and it was! She looked up toward the Wise One, marveling in her discovery when everything...shifted. Nephuria walked forward, away from the apprentices and clouds began to gather overhead. Rixan looked up in wonder. Rain started to fall from the sky. Rain! In the Waste! It took all her willpower not to raise her hands and twirl like a small girl, or a wetlander.

Lush grass grew under her feet. She stayed, rooted to her spot, unsure of what to do. This was the Dream World yes, but it was ….not the Land she knew. She looked up at the Wise One, awaiting instruction. As the woman spoke Rixan found herself nodding. She knew that this was a great responsibility, that it would bring knowledge and safety for her Clan, honor for her family. She was the first Dreamwalker in her family. She moved to stand closer to the other apprentice as Nephuria studied them. A moment later, Rixan found herself wearing a short dress, her long hair in pigtails and a doll in her right hand. What is going on? I did not think of this this time!

Nephuria smiled for a split second before her face was once again serious. "Here you are still children, deny my authority over you, know that you are not a child, know who you are. It's your foundation, what you must always remember to return to if lost in a dream. Find our anchor, and keep it safe; some dreams hold stronger than any magic. Find your anchor, what makes you, you. Make me see you are not a child." Rixan knit her brow. This was how the Wise One thought of her? She had done everything in her power to make them see she was NOT just a girl, but ready to learn to be a Wise One. She sighed, mulling over the words.

She wants us to change back. Okay, then. I am not a child. Looking down, Rixan smiled as the short dress flickered. Her smile turning sour as it flickered back. She glanced at the Wise One. She stood there calmly, eyes flickering from Rixan to Adai and back again. Rixan glanced at Adai as the girl straightened herself, threw down the doll and shifted her clothes. The Slightblinder would take over the Threefold Land before I let this small challenge defeat me. Gritting her teeth, Rixan stared at the Wise One, her eyes not leaving Nephuria's, as she imagined, no willed, herself back into normal clothing.

Nephuria let each through to alter their concealment's until they go once they had successfully forced their own will over her light touch. It only needed a light touch now, once they knew what they were doing, things became true battles. She smiled favorably at them both as they stood before her as Apprentices should. She nodded her approval tot hem both.

"Good, this is your foundation, your stone, remember it and make it yours, eventually you will appear clothed how you should without having to think on it, it becomes automatic; like riding an oxen, once you learn all the commands and how to use them, it no longer sounds hard to do.

Next we will work on this attitude you both have toward me as a teacher. I am making you get and do better, teaching you through experience rather than tests and written work. I know the Dream well, you must learn to differentiate the anger you're feeling for the event with the person reminding you of it. You both used me as your source of anger, even if only because I represented a block in your training.

Using feeling to deal with others is barbaric, it is like speaking without toh to factor in, just wrong. If you wish to speak...suddenly her lips stopped moving, and her words continued on :then you have but to wish one could hear you. And if they allow it, they will. You know not of or how to defend your dreams yet but some of the basics must be made clear to you on this night, including the destruction of a nightmare."

I need each of you to picture what you fear the most, make it in your mind, smell, feel, appearance, and know you will be forced to deal your own creations, as it tries to eat you."

Nephuria spoke as they created their own nightmares, threatening to pull her in. She sat easily upon each dream, to watch and intervene if necessary. But otherwise she remained floating in the strange place of starry dreams, where she had no body, only a sense of self

Edited by Amore

ooc: Hope the following is okay. If it's not, if you don't think she 'got' it, then let me know and I'll post something else happening to her *g*.

--

The ground under her feet felt real. The clothing felt real. She felt real. And yet, with barely a thought all that could change. She hadn’t yet seen anyone change into another, but she had felt herself do so – become her greatmother – and that was frightening. For, if you weren’t yourself, who were you? It was slightly comforting that she’d retained her memories and her sense of self even as she’d become Maldrena, but still disconcerting. Rixan made a mental note to take nothing – NOTHING! – in this place at face value.

She stood next to Adai, each of them clothed as an apprentice should be. The Wise One nodded her approval before continuing. "Good, this is your foundation, your stone, remember it and make it yours, eventually you will appear clothed how you should without having to think on it, it becomes automatic.” I’m beginning to see why we need such rigorous training. It’s a wonder we can even stand here without Nephuria’s help….maybe we can’t. Frowning at that thought, at how helpless she really might be, Rixan stared at the older woman, willing herself to learn fast. She always had been, there was no reason to stop now.

As Nephuria referenced Rixan’s anger, the apprentice felt shame. It was not lessened by learning that Adai had done the same. Controlling and focusing anger was something she’d learned as a child – how could she have forgotten that fast? For a moment, she almost considered fading back to the attire of a girl child, but before her form could even flicker, Rixan reconsidered. Nephuria had asked that they present themselves as apprentices, and so she shall. Flickering back would make it seem as if the previous moments had not happened, which would mean more shame.

“Using feeling to deal with others is barbaric; it is like speaking without toh to factor in, just wrong. If you wish to speak...” Arching a bow, Rixan watched as the Wise One stopped moving her mouth but kept talking. That could be useful should they ever need to communicate without another hearing. Her back itched as Rixan once again felt the unseen eyes. She willed herself to ignore it again and felt the soothing peace overcome her. If only we could communicate this way in the real world, she thought, I can definitely see some uses for it. She wished a thought to Adai , this world has a bigger learning curve than I was expecting. I am glad to have someone to share it with.

Moving to the side, Nephuria used her voice once more. “I need each of you to picture what you fear the most, make it in your mind, smell, feel, appearance, and know you will be forced to deal your own creations, as it tries to eat you." Frowning, Rixan struggled with wanting to refuse. Why would the Wise One shame them so? Making them show to practically a stranger what would be difficult to share with even a First Sister? Still, she’d shamed herself once and could not, would not do it again. Closing her eyes, she imagined an expanse of water, glistening in the sun as far as the eye could see. In the middle, sat a….an enclosure of sorts which held her greatmother and brother. The two people she cared about most in the world. They were accompanied by an Eyeless; there were several popping up around her.

No longer thinking about Adai or Nephuria, Rixan screamed a battle cry and launched herself at the nearest Eyeless. A long knife appeared in her hands – one that she had used hundreds of times on her daily tasks, one that felt comfortable in her hands. The Eyeless laughed, his dry laugh sounding like rotting leather, and pushed her away. Falling to the side, the apprentice realized she felt weak, weaker than she’d ever felt. Still, she rose and continued attacking. They couldn’t take away the only family she had left, she would not let them.

As the myrddraal around her closed in, Rixan kicked furiously and slashed at the air with her knife. Water lapped her ankles as they backed her toward it. Her attention swayed from the pack of myrddraal to the water and back again. A small slat bobbed to her right. It appeared to be several pieces of wood lashed together. Swiping at the Eyeless, she gingerly climbed on top of the wood. It floated away from shore, slightly and Rixan dared not breathe. If she moved, she would fall into the water, she knew it. Distantly, she heard her greatmother calling for her – terror in her voice.

Terror in her voice? Something floated through her mind, but she ignored it, once more feeling the overwhelming need to save her family. The wood kept moving over the water, slowly, inch by inch. She relaxed her cramped muscles slightly, still not moving, but merely settling in. The wood groaned. A piece fell off the side, sinking immediately. From where she sat, Rixan could see that the rest of the wood was rotten, black covering what should have been a health brown. Before she had time to scream, the lashes came undone, the piece fell apart and she tumbled into the water.

The water? Screaming, she plunged into the icy water the chill taking her breath away as she hit. The clothing dragged her down until it was all she could do to break the surface and take a breath. The next time Rixan broke the surface, she found herself staring at the sun. The sun, looking much the same as it would if it were shining down on the Threefold Land, looking the same as it had all her life. Taking solace in the sight of the never changing sun, she relaxed. Relaxed everything. Perhaps it was time to wake from the Dream. As she felt herself sinking down beneath the blue waves, something clicked. This was not real. This kind of water would never be found in the Waste. Snapping her eyes open Rixan swiveled her head back and forth. This is not real. This cannot be real. Forcing to …see past the blue, the apprentice caught a shimmer of brown and she held onto it. She held onto it and forced the rest of the surroudings to match until she was standing, soaking wet, in front of Nephuria.

Edited by keyholder21

Adia looked up when the Wise One spoke, perhaps the woman was overlooking her glare?

"Good, this is your foundation, your stone, remember it and make it yours, eventually you will appear clothed how you should without having to think on it, it becomes automatic; like riding an oxen, once you learn all the commands and how to use them, it no longer sounds hard to do.

Adia relaxed a little and straightened her back, if the Wise One was going to overlook it and move past it, so would she. She would just be sure not to do it again. Adia's sholders slumped again when the woman continued her thought though.

Next we will work on this attitude you both have toward me as a teacher. I am making you get and do better, teaching you through experience rather than tests and written work. I know the Dream well, you must learn to differentiate the anger you're feeling for the event with the person reminding you of it. You both used me as your source of anger, even if only because I represented a block in your training.

Adai swarmed with emotion again, how could she have thought the Wise One would ignore such a display? And how could she have really thought she would just ignore it? Ignoring something didn't make it untrue. Perhaps in this dreamworld objects would disappear if she did not think of them, and perhaps things she held here were not truly here, but her slip on directiong her anger, and her lack of controling her emotions was not the same. It didn't matter where she was, she had Toh and she couldn't just ignore it hoping it would go away. That is not how it worked, and now she had even greater Toh!

How she would meet that Toh was a thought that would have to wait. As if the woman had been reading her mind, the Wise One quickly continued.

Using feeling to deal with others is barbaric, it is like speaking without toh to factor in, just wrong. If you wish to speak...suddenly her lips stopped moving, and her words continued on then you have but to wish one could hear you. And if they allow it, they will. You know not of or how to defend your dreams yet but some of the basics must be made clear to you on this night, including the destruction of a nightmare.

I need each of you to picture what you fear the most, make it in your mind, smell, feel, appearance, and know you will be forced to deal your own creations, as it tries to eat you."

When the Wise One's voice was silent again a new voice sounded in her ear, this world has a bigger learning curve than I was expecting. I am glad to have someone to share it with. Adai's head shot around looking for who had spoken before the words fully processed, but her eyes settled on Rixan as the message sank in. Adai flashed the other apprentace a smile and responded in the same way, "That it surely does! I am glad we learning this together as well. This lesson with you will not soon be forgotten." She knew they could not stay in each other's heads like this for long. There was a new task. One that would draw these two apart into their own dreams.

Adai looked out at the devostation all around her. She was in the waste, but all she could see on the horizon from all directions was fire. It looked like the warriors had been gone for days now, and the Wise Ones had sent out all those willing to take up a spear when the warriors hadn't returned. Anyone grown enough to walk, hold a weapon and aim it had long left the hold to fight off whatever had come to their home and attacked. She didn't know what had attacked, or why she was all alone with the infants and children too young to walk. A young boy, bloody and covered in dirt came running in from the fight. "Your plan, Apprentice, it was not a success. You sent them all out there, and they have lost! The Cheifs, the Warriors..." he was out of breath. "they were defeted. I came back to tell you, we can't win! I know I shouldn't talk like this, but its true! Find the Wise Ones, save the children! It's our only hope!" The desperation in the boys eyes was hard for Adai to meet, but she did. "If it is true, do not fear saying it. Stay here with the children." Adai ran off to find the Wise Ones. What does he mean, my plan? I'm just an Apprentice, I didn't send them..did I?

She didn't know where they would be but she ran through the hold to the place she thought they would be. The circle of fire grew suddenly closer. She could see the Wise Ones sitting together in a cirlce and she ran up to them to pass the message along. Their eyes were glazed over, they no longer held life. All of the Wise Ones? All of the Warriors? How was this possible? The circle of fire got closer still, cries of her people could now be heard out there in the battle. Adai ran back to the children. She had do something, she had to keep these children safe. They were the last of the Aiel, they were the only future. She was the only one left to make a decision to save them. She scanned what was left of the safe ground and found the highest rock she could see. She ran the children two by two to the rock. It was the only chance they had for saftey. They could stay hidden there, in the shadows, up above the fire. The enemy, who ever they were, would think the place abandoned and leave. Adai would stay with the children and rebuild.

Her muscles ached as she made her way down to the one remaining child, but she barely felt the pain as she bent over to pick her up. Suddenly the ground beneath her rumbled and Adai instinctively threw herself around the young girl. The cries from the fire were increasing and Adai watched in horror as the rock the children had been on tumbled to the ground. "NO!" she screamed. How could every decision she made for her peoples safety turn into this much devoustaion?

The ring of fire came just inches away from her on all sides and the cries were booming from with in it. Shadowy hands reached out from the fire all grabbing wildly at her, trying to pull her in. She felt the baby slide from her arms and she heard a deep laugh from the fire as baby was pulled into it. The hands reached out again and she felt defeated. We all must wake day or another. Her hope returned in an instant. Wake! Its a dream! My dream! This is not real! The world shook but the hands reached further out of the fire. This is not real! There is no fire, no enemy. I am learning the ways of the dreamworld with Rixan and Nephuria. "THIS IS NOT REAL!" She screamed as she pushed back against her own creation. The hands retreated into the fire and she continued to push back against the illusion. She imagined the fire gone, the destruction gone. She imagined herself away..and she was.

She was still in the waste, but it was not the waste of her nighmare, it was the waste where the Wise One and Rixan stood waiting for her. Adai looked at the other Apprentance and though the girl was hiding it well Adai could still see the girl had been shaken up as well. Adai slowed her heart as she turned to the Wise One, unsure of what the woman would say.

Edited by Kathleen
adding the nightmare (sorry its so ungodly long)

Nephuria's full attention was split between watching the girls nightmares. it was her duty to ensure they awoke safely, and sometimes nightmares had been known to claim those who went into them. She thought for a moment, she would have to step in and save the girls, but each held there calm expertly, dealing with their own fears. Starting out facing your own fears often made facing others much easier.

As the girls returned before her, Nephuria imagined one apprentice dry, not wet by the seas she had created. The other, she gave courage to continue on. It was akin to the warders bond, except no binding was required, she could give them false energy, make them feel false peace and confidence. But it was a false pre-tense. She was more than capable of saving them, but she kept an eye out for the Shadowsouled. she did not trust herself to face one of them here. Not alone with two fledglings

"By learning to face your own fears, facing those of other's should be easy for you. Recognize it as a nightmare, and deny it, force what should be, into place. The Nightmare will dissipate before your will."

She studied the women, and vanished her voice remaining behind to say 'Follow me'

She stood atop Dragonount, the Aiel war still fresh in her mind; She waited on the Apprentice's to appear. if they made the jump, they would find her attention on the large White Tower below.

"What are your thoughts on the Aes Sedai, Apprentices?' she spoke off handily, envisioning the Dance of Spars she'd seen there.

Adai seemed to get a second wind, she didn't question it, she felt her fear lift away and she let it go.

"By learning to face your own fears, facing those of other's should be easy for you. Recognize it as a nightmare, and deny it, force what should be, into place. The Nightmare will dissipate before your will."

Adai had experienced this just moments before, but the dream had almost consumed her. What happens to her in the Dreamworld does get reflected in the real world. She was nearly lost in fire. Fire she had created. She had gotten out this time, but it looked so real. Felt so real. This world was real when it shouldn't be, and false when it should be real. Such a simple concept, you're thoughts shape the world, but so dangerous and so hard to really keep in mind.

The Wise One vanished as she had before. The message came after, Follow me.

Adai turned to Rixan and sent a playful thought her way, Here we go again! Adai closed her eyes and cleared her mind. A few slow breaths to steady herself, and she reached out for Nephuria as she had before. When she opened her eyes she didn't believe where she was. The view from Dragonmout was indescribable, and though she knew it wasn't real, she knew this was probably the only time in her life she would see it. While Adai waited for Rixan to arrive she starred out at the world. The other Apprentice appeared just a few seconds after Adai, and the two approached the Wise One together.

Without looking up from the great structure her eyes were locked on the Wise One spoke, "What are your thoughts on the Aes Sedai, Apprentices?'

Adai blinked in surprise. It wasn't the first time a Wise One had asked her thoughts on a subject, it was part of learning to be a Wise One after all, but she hadn't been expecting to discuss her thoughts here. This lesson was on how to survive in the Dreamworld, not what her feeling on world issues were.

"I have not met an Aes Sedai, so I can not speak from the experience of interacting with them. I can only speak from what I have heard, which isn't something I often like to make solid opinions from. However, I will speak on my thoughts of the Aes Sedai from the information I have. I think they are soft and that has affected them in a very negative way. I think they have great potential to have a great impact across the wetlands and be a strong force against Sightblinder when the last battle comes. However, they let their own personal desires get in their way and they do not think of what is best for all. In doing this I think they are greatly hurting themselves, and all those who live in the light, whom the Aes Sedai claim to be working for. I think they have lost their way, and I'm not certain they can ever meet the toh they have created for themselves, or if they will ever acknowledge that have that toh to meet. I have hope that they will see the error of their selfish ways and become the strong force for the Light that they should be when the Last Battle comes, but I fear there is no longer time for them to prepare as they should."

Adai looked up at the Wise One when she was done. She hadn't noticed, but she had been staring down at the great White Tower the whole time she spoke of the Aes Sedai. Hopefully the Wise One would not be upset with her. She had judged them, and spoke of Toh that they did not see. But the Wise One had asked for Adai's thoughts, and she had told the Wise One how she truly thought.

Within a minute of the Threefold Land reappearing, her clothes went from wet to dry. She gave a short nod of thanks at the Wise One and looked around. It was difficult for her to believe that only a moment before the land had been covered by a vast body of water. A vast body of water that she herself had created. It took her another moment of awe before she realized that she stood in front of the Wise One alone. Where is - in the middle of her thought, Adai ….appeared seemingly out of nowhere. She looked relieved. Perhaps we are learning about more than just the Dream World tonight, Rixan thought as she glanced at the other apprentice.

"By learning to face your own fears, facing those of other's should be easy for you. Recognize it as a nightmare, and deny it, force what should be, into place. The Nightmare will dissipate before your will." Nodding to herself, the young Aiel woman truly thought about those words. What a power, and what a responsibility to have, the ability to create nightmares, to bend someone else's will around yours. It was remarkable and dangerous. Opening her mouth to ask Nephuria something, Rixan blinked as the Wise One disappeared again, her gravelly voice calling out for them to find her. I do not know if that disconcerting image of someone vanishing before my eyes will ever be normal.

Using the trick they had been taught earlier, Adai turned to Rixan and spoke without moving her mouth, Here we go again! Then, the other apprentice closed her eyes and similarly vanished. Drawing a deep breath, Rixan closed her bright blue eyes and followed Nephuria. This time she didn't need to create her own rope, it was as if there was an invisible thread connecting Nephuria and her voice. Rixan followed it. She felt ….something. The color of her eyelids changed from a light brown to a dark, almost black color. Wherever they were, it was darker. Opening her eyes, she spied Adai and a few feet beyond, the Wise One. Stepping forward, Rixan paused slightly when she was next to the other apprentice and they approached Nephuria together.

Nearing the Wise One, Rixan took a moment to check out her surroundings. They were atop Dragonmount, something she had only heard of from tales of her elders. Her feet ached with the cold of the frozen water on the ground and the cold air formed goosepimples on her flesh. She wanted to rub her arms up and down to keep her warmth, but Adai and Nephuria appeared unaffected. Remembering what the older woman had said about shaping the world around them, Rixan imagined that she was warm, and then she was.

"What are your thoughts on the Aes Sedai, Apprentices?' the Wise One said offhandedly, her attention on something below. Curious about the bottom, but more curious about the top, Rixan stayed back from the edge and looked around. Adai started speaking first and she focused her attention on the other apprentice. Her words made a lot of sense and sounded very heartfelt.

And then it was Rixan's turn. “I agree with what Adai has put so eloquently, though I would add that I find it difficult to trust them. Anyone who must publicly state that they cannot lie seems to me someone that I should be careful around. We all have secrets we must keep and while they can't lie, I doubt that they tell the full truth often. It makes me wary.”

Nephuria's smile was pleased as she listened to them talk. They would make the second trip with ease, they both understood so quickly. the Aiel woman seemed bathed in sunlight for a moment, men could heard fighting in the distance, a great battle. she refused the dream of the war, set the place in peaceful hues of what she remembered that winter. The great white walls shinning all the time.

She spoke to them, but as one would equals, she had started the conversation and appreciated their participation. "You each wonder what there is to learn here," meaning the Dream," and I have found in my years there to be two ways, the slower version where I explain every detail before hand, or the simpler version of you figuring it out as you go, remember so long as I am watching you in the Dream, or nightmare as it may be, you can contact me. Do so with care, for I will dissipate it by coming in too strongly; it denies the nature of the nightmare They are centered around one person, unless designed for multiples, a strong Dreamer will end your nightmare by entering it without thought."

She spoke, and allowed the sun to cover the slopes, the snow to melt away and reveal short green grass. She smiled at them as she bid them follow. In short order she was bounding unnaturally down the mountain toward the cit below; she allowed the pants of a maiden to replace her skirts, as she attempted to make a game of getting there, doubling back on the girls to speed with them toward the city.

She would stop the game as the neared the White Walls skipping over the river. Nephuria had simply turned it to stone. "Inside there are nightmares; nightmare that will reveal to you how the Aes Sedai's Hold reveres them. Come with me, but stay close, some of the nightmares in here...well, they are very dangerous. Remember your mind is faster than any Aes Sedai. I speak as a channeler, think quickly, do not rely on other things, use your head. Let us find one we can enter together, I will play into it while you two try to deny it."

She shifted back into her algode skirts, but smiled, as she transformed. Starting at her hem the dress changed, silken slippers appeared on her feet of blue, as a dress of revealing cut donned a body of white porcelain. Her hair was long, and richly brown, unnaturally so. She wore the face of a beautiful woman, perhaps in her mid thirties. A nightmare she summoned by thinking for it as they skipped over the wall into the city. She entered, her disguise recognizable only if they apprentices caught the blink of an eye change before the nightmare overtook. They were in Tar Valon but the sky was red...she was alone. Where were the girls, she reached out tentatively to feel, and felt the nightmare waver. Fine, she would find them on her own, and watch them be tested.

Edited by Amore

When Rixan had added in her comments the Wise One spoke again. She liked hearing what she would be in for before it was upon her, but that was not always the way with life and Adai would adapt. The Wise One will teach how she teaches, and Adai would learn as she could. Nephuria had said all she really needed to hear anyway, remember she can think her way our of anything and if she needs help she can call. She had been taught these lessons already, now it was up to her to remember and use them.

The Wise One didn't speak long before she took off again. Adai quickly followed and smiled when the Wise One changed to easier clothes. As they ran Adai lost sight of the Wise One and when she came up behind the girls Adai let out a short giggle and picked up her speed. She didn't know where they were headed, but she let herself enjoy the fun on the way. The three played like this until they neared the White Tower and when Nephuria's motions changed so did Adai's. She knew the game was over and she quickly fell in line.

The Wise One turned the water to stone and made her way across it. Adai followed, a little unsure of if the stone would stay. She had a brief moment where she thought about falling through to the water below, but before the thought could really form she reaffirmed that it was stone beneath her, not water. Solid stone. She made it across and the Wise One spoke.

"Inside there are nightmares; nightmare that will reveal to you how the Aes Sedai's Hold reveres them. Come with me, but stay close, some of the nightmares in here...well, they are very dangerous. Remember your mind is faster than any Aes Sedai. I speak as a channeler, think quickly, do not rely on other things, use your head. Let us find one we can enter together, I will play into it while you two try to deny it."

In a blink she was gone. The image of the ring of fire floated back into her head. Her own nightmare had seemed so real, would this one as well? It is just a dream. It will not be real. I must remember it is not true. The Wise One said 'deny it'. That is what I must do. Adai closed her eyes, stilled her mind and reached out Nephuria, following where she had gone. When she opened her eyes she was inside the city wall, but the Wise One was no where to be seen.

The dream would be askance, in the way of dreams, the city seemingly endless in any direction. She forced focus to it, impressing her will upon it without breaking it. She felt for the women, and began walking in a normal way toward them. The blood red sky seemed to suddenly loom with the white tower standing like an evil pillar above.

A man came running down a large street, she could see both of the apprentices finding their way ahead of her. He seemed as if Sightblinder were on his hills. In the distance three long shadows made there way toward them, three women with ageless faces, casting fire and lightning among the buildings as they traveled, assumingly they chasing the man as he couldn't run far from them without seeming to loose ground.

Nephuria appeared as a woman in the dream, running in fear, although she knew none of their weaves would touch her. She ran, before disappearing to watch how the two would handle the Aes Sedai. Let them see how far they the Tower had fallen in their own peoples eyes. The man was crying. Soon she would step in to end the nightmare, before it ended them. He was begging Adai for help, Rixan stood closest to the three Aes Sedai; she waited.

--Short description of the nightmare--

Edited by Amore

ooc: sooo you want us to talk to them? I'm not sure what I need to do here. Recognize it's a nightmare and talk?

--

Sounds started in the distance, steel ringing on steel, creating a hum in the air. Rixan shifted weight from her right foot to her left as she listened. The sound faded after a mere moment and the buzzing of silence filled her ears. It was a difficult place to understand, this Dream world. What a powerful tool a place could be when your very thoughts could exist. She considered conjuring up Sightblinder, if only to strike him down. Would that work? Would that rid the world of his touch forever? A foolish thought of course, but it was a niggling at the back of her mind nonetheless.

Nephuria continued speaking, moving her eyes from the White Tower below to the apprentices and then back again. As she spoke, the sun rose large, spreading a blanket of yellows and pinks over the sky. The frozen water under her feet melted and Rixan looked down with wonder. It melted until merely drops remained on her feet; luscious green grass grew. The first few pieces poking out of the snow looked unbelievably green against the stark landscape, but as the white faded and green took up her view, Rixan could not think of the bright grass as anything but beautiful. The Threefold Land held many wonders, but the wetlands had scenery that the Aiel land did not.

Smiling at Rixan and Adai, the Wise One turned on her heel and bounded down the mountain. Her steps were unnaturally large; the wind was unnaturally calm. The apprentices shared a look before they bounded down after her, a laugh escaping their lips here and there as the sheer craziness of their speed caught up with them. In a flash, Rixan saw the Nephuria change into the pants of maiden and willed herself to do so as well. She let out a small yell of triumph when she did so, though she barely avoided tripping as her legs suddenly had less resistance. The trio played for a short while, leaving all the heaviness of their training behind. It was only when they reached the White Walls. The three woman walked across a river that Nephuria had turned to stone and suddenly turned grave.

Out of the corner of her eye, Rixan saw the Wise One change. She started to ask why, and what they were stepping into when everything....

….where was she? Looking around, the Aiel furrowed her brow. This was not her hold. This was not the Threefold Land. Her head swam with questions that no one was here to answer: where was she? Why was she there? How had she arrived? Had she been alone? She certainly was alone now. As she walked forward, the city seemed to stretch on endlessly. At the 'end' a tall white pillar stood against a blood red sky. Rixan gulped. Or, tried to. She found herself parched and reached for the waterskin on her belt. A trickle flowed into her mouth before the young Aiel noticed that it had a hole sliced in the bottom.

Tying it back to her belt loop, she made a note to repair it. It wasn't something easily done, but she'd managed a few in the past and would try again before merely casting the skin aside. Her eyes flickered around as she tied the skin on, you must always monitor your surroundings, she thought to herself. Training from long ago coming back to aid her. There must be someone else here. I would not have come here by myself. Putting one foot in front of the other, Rixan began looking for someone – anyone.

She found people, of course, though they had no clue what was going on. Tears streaked dirty faces as they pleaded with her for help. Reluctantly, Rixan informed them that she had none to give. She plodded on, wincing at the cries for help that were shouted at her back. The children were the worst. Ten blocks later, or what seemed like ten blocks – the end of the city was still not in sight – Rixan spied someone she recognized. “ADAI!” she screamed, clamoring over the remains of a carriage in the street. The other apprentice looked around wildly before spotting her. A rush of relief seemed to pass over her features before she left the corner to meet Rixan in the street.

• 2 weeks later...

Adai looked around the city in front of her. So unnatural. Not just from the red skies and the screaming, panicked people but the buildings and roads seems unnatural too. The layout of the city and materials used to build were all so foreign to her. Beautiful and extravagant. She didn't know whether she was impressed or repulsed by the lengths these wetlanders went to make things so pleasing to the eye.

She could only gawk for a moment at the beauty. These people were insane! If their city was under attack why did the run screaming? Why did they not pick up their spears and fight back? She needed to learn what was wrong. She could be no use to them if she did not know what was wrong. It was not her fight to fight, so she took up no weapon, but she was determined to figure out what was happening. She looked around as she walked through the city, searching the faces for one she knew. She had followed the Wise One, and she knew she was supposed to find Rixan, but where were they?

Adia combed the city in the way she knew the others would be. Their paths had to cross at some point so she walked. Closer to the Tower rising high in the sky. While the others were running away from it Adai had a feeling the other Aiel were heading toward it. The source of answers. The source of finding each other.

She watched every face that passed, ignored every call for her to turn and run, and she pressed on through the city. She wasn't far from the towering pillar when she heard her name yelled from a block away. She spun around and quickly searched for who had known it, who had known her. Her eyes landed on Rixan and Adai let out a show of relief as she ran to meet the apprentance.

"Rixan! What have you learned? Have you seen the Wise One?" She did not recieve the answer before she was interupped by a fantic man, who came runing down the street in tears. He ran in between the girls and turn to Adai, hand on her shoulder. She couldn't make out most of what he said, but what she did hear was a desperate plea for help. Something was coming, he didn't have time to get away and he wanted Adai to save him. She was about to ask the man what had him so frightened and on the run when she looked up the road when he had come and she saw three woman calmly walking down the street, hands reached up to the sky as a lighting bolt crashed down beside them.

The man looked up in horror at the woman and pushed Adai back as he stumbled off in a run of fear just trying to get away from them.

Adai looked at Rixan, and saw the same blank look she had on her own face plastered on the girl's. They had had training on how to protect their hold. They knew how to fight and enemy should they have to. But this enemy? Adai was not a channeller, she couldn't fight these woman in the street like this! Another bolt crashed down a foot in front of her. The Aes Sedai had their eyes locked on the girls, and Adai just froze. If she ran she could think of how to fight back, but it would be leaving Rixan there to face the Aes Sedai on her own. That she could not do.

The Aes Sedai came closer and Adai looked to Rixan, "How do we fight them? You go left, I'll go right?" She wanted to run, claim it wasn't there fight to fight. But she couldn't just stand down with Aes Sedai attacking.

Nephuria stood with a lustrous crown of black hair, done up in the style of Wetlander nobles. Bells jingled faintly as she fed into the Nightmare. She was but a part of it, a part of the hole. She stood near a corner of the street; watching the two apprentices. They might notice her because she was one of the very few not running.

She saw hesitation in the girl's as the Aes Sedai approached; she had told them channeling meant nothing here, a Dreamer held more power than any Aes Sedai child would. Nephuria stepped toward the girls, her illusion fading. The dream seemed to quake as Nephuria made herself real and yet apart of the nightmare. She was near the apprentices in a blink of her eye, hand outstretched. Lightning met her palm, and for a moment light bathed them all, as if it had exploded against an unseen wall.

These children cannot call the skies, they are not noble enough in there own Hold's eyes to not strike down any in there path. This was perhaps too much to start with. The Wise one admitted her miscalculation, and would leave it up the the girls at a later date to decide if she had toh to them. As it was, the three Aes Sedai turned to face Nephuria; the one who denied their power.

Fire exploded toward them, and she stood unflinching. She would teach them what she'd come here for, or die trying. She spoke to them, but her lips did not move. "There is no fire. She spoke simply assured, and within a moment, the fireball was gone.

"They cannot channel, for they are shielded." And within moments, the Light of saidar blinked from them. They were not real, none of this was. To kill them, would be admitting the dream was real, that death could occur. She did not fall for this trap. She smiled at the girls, saying they had done well, when suddenly she dissipated the Nightmare around them, and they were back in the Three-Fold Land, sitting in a tent.

"Do you both understand now, channeling is nothing here? A trained Dreamer would laugh at one attempting to use the Power over the mind in this place. Keep that lesson close to heart."

She folded her legs beneath her in a tent within the World of Dreams; one of her own making. "Tell me what more you wish to know, or if you are ready to test yourselves again; nightmares roam wherever people congregate for long periods of time."

The Aes Sedai came closer and Adai looked to Rixan, "How do we fight them? You go left, I'll go right?" To her shame, Rixan looked back to Adai, her mind blank. I should grab something – anything – and attack these Oathbreakers. I need to defend my Hold. ...I don't know how though. How do I use steel and wood against women that can call lightning from the sky? Something akin to terror raced through her, despite a flash of memory at the back of her head that said channelers didn't have the power she thought. Of course they have power – look at the ruins all around us.

Instead of just staring at the women coming toward her, she glanced around wildly. A raven haired wetlander stood on the corner, staring at her and Adai. The air rippled around her and then Nephuria stood there. The blink of an eye had her at their side rather than across a ruin-filled street. The three Aes Sedai still glared at them and walked forward, their feet somehow finding solid ground despite all the refuse, though their attention focused only on the Wise One as she appeared between Rixan and Adai.

Fire exploded toward them, and Rixan flung herself in front of the other apprentice, drawing her hands up to shield her from the rabid orange flames as she did so. Seconds passed and no fire. Rixan withdrew her hands and stepped to the side of Adai. The fire was gone – it was as if it did not exist. The Wise One was calm incarnate. "They cannot channel, for they are shielded." Rixan blinked, her brain starting to realize that this was just a dream. Just a lesson. That she and her two fellow women were not trapped in a dying city. Immense shame filled her. She couldn't look at the Wise One as the nightmare around them melted into the Threefold Land.

She, Adai, and Nephuria were sitting in a tent. The Wise One spoke to them, her voice betraying no emotion save that of complacence. "Do you both understand now, channeling is nothing here? A trained Dreamer would laugh at one attempting to use the Power over the mind in this place. Keep that lesson close to heart.

Tell me what more you wish to know, or if you are ready to test yourselves again; nightmares roam wherever people congregate for long periods of time." The shame-filled apprentice blinked at the pillows breathing in the smell of smoke that still lingered in her hair. If she couldn't remember during a placid nightmare of Nephuria's creation, how could she ever expect to conquer the World of Dreams. That would not be the most difficult obstacle, of that she was sure.

More time passed, both of the younger women silent, as well as the older. The Wise One did not break the silence, she did not pressure the others, merely drank tea that she had wished into existence. Finally, Rixan swallowed her pride, remembering that she was a pupil for the good of the Hold not just for herself. She could not allow her shame and her pride to eclipse what was good for her people. Starting off low and growing louder as she spoke, she begged a question of her instructor, “Is there anything that can be done to break a nightmare's hold on you once you are inside?”

Nephuria looked to the girl who spoke, she would attempt to fill them with pride. "Do not be downhearted. I am perhaps the most powerful Dream Bender among us, there is not shame in losing yourself to one of my creations so soon in training. Truth to tell I may have toh to you both for making it such a difficulty."

The older woman sighed, looking at the girls as young women who'd soon be her equal. "If you feel I have toh let me know, and we shall deal with it in a private manner. To answer your question, yes there are ways to tell, it becomes easier the longer you do it. Simple wrongness in nightmares is usually an obvious sign; off colored skied, an ill feeling. You will be able to recognize and deny these nightmares off handedly one day, but first you must learn the foundation of it."

"Once one recognizes something as a nightmare; they must take control of the dream, impose their will upon it to return it to the way things 'should' be. As with all things practice makes it easier. But do not take the nightmares lightly, they have claimed their share of lives. Some can mirror our world very closely."

Edited by Amore

As the Dream faded around her and Adai was transported back to the waste she filled with guilt and anger so strong she almost couldn't hold it in. The shame of getting caught up in the nightmare was enough to make it impossible to meet the Wise Ones eyes. She sat in silence, unsure of how to proceed. The Wise One claimed the Toh was hers for throwing the girls in over their heads, but Adai knew it was not so. She had been told what needed to be done and she had failed to do it. Perhaps they had toh to each other. The Wise One said it would be dealt with after the lesson so Adai would not speak of it now. But what could she speak of? She had no questions on what they had learned that Rixan had not received an answer for. She soaked up the information the Wise One gave, and built herself back up again, ready to learn more.

"This place has much more to teach Wise One, and I clearly have much more to learn. If you permit me to continue I will do better when you deem me ready for the next lesson." It was all Adai could think to say, and she hoped it would be enough to continue her lessons. This dream had almost defeated her, but she would learn to control it yet.

Adai

~ dreamwalker in training

"Time is only relative to the person; it means nothing more than many years in the sand. If you're lucky, you find the wisdom in it too. That is if you are lucky." She spoke to them both as equals, not at all as a leader or teacher for the moment. She preferred classes taught her way.

She would hoist Adai into the air, holding her skirts in place. "I feel no better for it, do you?" the question wasn't intended to be answered as the answer should be obvious. The girl was suddenly standing normally as if she'd never moved.

"For this night you have both done well, it is time you find some real sleep. We continue tomorrow night" She waited on each girl then found sleep herself.

Ooc: Sorry it's so short! I ran out of time and gotta get myself to bed - but I wanted to give you something. I'm sorry for the extra day - my sprinkler system broke last night and flooded our front lawn! I had to deal with that last night and most of today :/.

Rixan felt some pride return as Nephuria spoke, but some shame lingered. It would take time for the feeling to go away – it's inky tentacles could burrow deep and hold on tight. She nodded at the instruction to get some sleep and slipped from the Dream into herself. Consciousness only lasted for a minute before darkness took her. It felt sweet, like an old friend. Her last thought of how she must do better the following night.

The next day felt like a blur – exhausting and busy. Though she was sleep deprived, Rixan did not feel tired until she was sitting once again on the soft cushions in the Wise One's tent. She had cleaned herself off this time, leaving the dust in a sweat tent instead of on Nephuria's cushions. The dust had been earned, however, as the apprentice had spent the day doing every task that her greatmother could think of, and then more. She'd only glimpsed the top of Adai's head during her chores – the other girl seemed just as busy.

Now, though, her eyes felt grainy and her mind sliding toward that sluggishness. She pinched herself on the thigh, feeling a tiny spike of adrenaline. On her side, Adai did the same. The Wise One had her back to them, doing something. Rixan looked over at the other girl, relieved to see that she looked just as tired. We can do this, she mouthed, hoping Adai understood.