DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Least Favorite Character

With over 1800 characters, we're all bound to dislike at least one, or a dozen. Personally, I don't have any strong animosity toward any character. The ones I like the least actually don't appear enough to be truly hated. But I will say from the cast of characters, one I've never really liked is Domon. He's always seemed so ignorant to me, and also rather uninteresting. I don't like the Domani talk, either. Too much emphatic tense annoys me. Another annoying character was Masema, especially when he gets all preachy about the Dragon, but I think he was under Compulsion or something, judging by his thoughts before he died when he said "the Dragon came to him in the night and told him to kill Perrin." I have a feeling that what he actually saw was one of the Forsaken, given Moridin's comments in "At the Gardens." Perhaps this is revealed later.

And I love to hate Elaida. She's such a b*tch! But she's actually not too bad of a character because she's intended to be flawed, perhaps to show that Aes Sedai are not without flaws as a lot of the world perceives them.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Galad for me.

He abandon everyone he cared about, his duties, and for who? The Whitecloaks! He knows how out of control they are, They even tried to push Andor into rebellion. And how could he not think that he would be used as a political weapon? He may have be raised mainly in Andor, but he's Cairhienin!

Besides the obvious characters we are supposed to dislike. I don't care to read much about Perrin. He's too damn whipped and it gets on my nerves. Also I really didn't like Gawyn for most of the series. Morgase doesn't really bring much to the story.

Gawyn.

He kills his mentor in the White Tower. He puts his own personal jealousy ahead of the world. He wanted revenge on Rand for something Rand didn't actually do. He'd been told by the person he supposedly loved most, and who was in a position to know the truth, that Rand was innocent, and he ignored her. He spends the vast majority of the series navel gazing. It's hard to find redeeming qualities for him, except personal bravery, and that's a trait that everyone in the series has.

One of the characters i find myself not being able to really like is elayne, she just irritates me with the way she seems to be ready to think the worst of rand in the buildup to her reclaiming the throne. She may love him but she just seems to me to be ready to fight him if he even remotely stands in her way. She might not have but im just saying its her attitude i suppose. I may be wrong but oh well. Truthfully alot of the female characters irk me, but thats a whole other issue.

haha sounds like the royal trakand/damodred clan (minus moiraine and caraline) aren't very liked. elayne, gawyn galad morgase. I agree on gawyn. he drives me nuts with his naivety stubborness and ignorance ergg.. he's another know it all but who doesn't know annnyything. elayne i dont really mind. or galad. i love morgase though :)

i loved egeanin when she helped in tanchico but after that, it was like her whole character changed. then i didn't like her too much.

i don't like about 99% of the Aes Sedai and none of the white cloaks .. bornhald and byar most of all of course, even though i also have grown to dislike perrin.

I liked bornhald sr. he was a pretty decent bloke.

I hate egwene but since that isnt allowed in this thread I will think of someone else......

aram kinda irked me with how puppy doggish he was

I actually quite like faile, if she wasnt jealous then she would irk me because one of the characters have to have a major flaw such as that in their relationship type deal.

Alanna! I hate her, it only took me 15 minutes to realize who else I hate. I absolutely hate her mind raping Rand, then attempting to compulse him.... it angers me

Alanna. The only redeeming thing she did in the entire series was to lead the cavalry to Rand at Dumai's Wells. I also blame her for a good part of Rand's earlier animosity towards Aes Sedai.

Most of the Sea Folk. Silly self absorbed people..

I can't really hate Alanna for what she did to Rand, as I suspect Verin might have played a role in making her do it, with a help of some suggestive compulsion. Besides she's suffered greatly since then because of her actions.

As for Gawyn, I actually liked the guy in the start, but hated him ever since he turned against Hammar and his other teachers during the fighting in The White Tower. And it's only been going downhill ever since for him.

I hate most of the Seafolk. Stupid and headstrong people.

Can be applied to so many societies and cultures in WoT it's almost easier to count those who aren't.

Though I agree, and I absolutely loved when Logain just strolled in and lay down Rands demands.

Perrin and Elayne, for consuming so many pages in middle books, and drawing attention from more worthy characters like Rand, Egwene, Mat, and Nynaeve. Perrin should've gone out in a blaze of glory in TSR, and Elayne died to the gholam in ACoS.

I don´t think I hate anyone but there are several characters that irritates me. All of the male forsaken except Moridin has been huge disappointments. Some of the seafolk and Aes Sedai are also irritating with the "we know everything and you should obey us". Of the main characters I could choose anyone in the Trakand family.

Some of the characters is hard to like but that doesn´t mean that they aren´t great for the story, like Elaida, Sevanna and Weiramon. What would the story be without them?

I tend to hate the "minor" characters less, as we see a lot less of them, and there's plenty I love to hate. I think the ones I dislike are:

Gawyn and Egwene (surprise, surprise). Seriously. The whole section of ToM that consisted of these two arguing about how the other was disrespecting them was some of the most teeth-grittingly irritating stuff in the series, and the fact that this was one of Gawyn's high points, compared to how he ends up (going "Oh, I was so wrong to ever disagree with you and suggest you were wrong. Even though, you know, you WERE, and now I'm lying here dying on a carpet as a result of your arrogance because you didn't want your lover disagreeing with you.") says a lot. Their pairing makes no sense to me, its like "Ah, well, suddenly Egwene and Gawyn are in love now". Very much like pair-the-spare. We have, as mentioned above, Gawyn taking several nonsensical actions throughout the series, we have Egwene refusing to ever be wrong, not to mention every other reason I've given why I dislike her. And, of course, both of them, despite being childish, irritating and arrogant have to be written to be great at everything. Urgh. What a couple ><

"Hard Rand". There are no ways for how much this annoyed me. I mean, don't get me wrong, I really liked it as a storytelling device- having the lead character, the saviour of this world, slowly going from the traditional wide-eyed farm boy to a world ruler, being slowly driven insane, hated by all, and becoming increasingly tyrannical, and emotionless. But "Hard Rand"'s POV irritated me so very much- must not kill/ cause death of/ be anywhere nearby or connected to anything where a woman dies. Must not laugh or cry, because these are signs of weakness. It was almost a relief when he turned into Dark Rand in TGS and started killing women again, at least that was less illogical than letting himself and his allies get killed. So for that- yeah, nice one Semirhage :D And before anyone starts, yes, I know that it was the insanity, I know that men in the Two Rivers all seem to share a lesser extent of that chivalry, and yes, I know that population growth is more affected by large numbers of women dying than large numbers of men, before everyone starts up with that. It still annoys me. Despite that I really like Hard Rand as a storytelling device.

Lan is someone I'm generally indifferent to, but his determination to suicide charge into the Blight irks me.

Masema- loved the scene where he finally got finished off.

Berelain annoys me... she's growing on me, though.

I can't really hate Alanna for what she did to Rand, as I suspect Verin might have played a role in making her do it, with a help of some suggestive compulsion. Besides she's suffered greatly since then because of her actions.

i was thinking the same thing. other than bonding, she hasn't really done much else wrong and she suffers through just about the entire series. but she was also fairly likable before all of the bonding happened anyway, so i don't really like to hold it against her

Masema- loved the scene where he finally got finished off.

yeah he was annoying and his death scene was the first thing in GS which made me love Sanderson and faile doing the deed made me hate her a little less. that scene was wonderful all the way around :)

This one may prove controversial, but... Loial :loial: I just find him a bit annoying. He was funny maybe in Eye of the World and has just stayed the same meandering go-nowhere-fast character ever since; the joke has worn thin for me, I'm afraid. Plus the idea of him being a 'friendly ogre' type character just feels slightly like he belongs with elves and fairies i.e. not in WoT.

It's possible I saw his depiction on the cover of TGH and just went 'bah' and have never liked him since :)

1. Egwene

4. Gawyn

5. Nicola

6. Cadsuane (I understood what she wanted, but I still don't understand the way she tried to achieve it & her inability to see that her tactic wasn't working at all and in fact nearly destroyed all hope makes me dislike her)

I've skipped 2 & 3 because it might surprise some people.

2. Hard Rand

3. Dark Rand

Archived