DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene's toh

ferver

I was in the middle of a re-read and came across this in LOC (Courage to Strengthen) after Egwene paid her toh to the Wise One's for pretending to be Aes Sedai:

Amys said nothing about more teaching, of course. She had given her word on a course of action, and even meeting toh did not erase that. Instead, she said, "I know Rhuarc will regret not being here tonight. He has gone north to look at the Shaido for himself. Do not be afraid your toh toward him must go unmet. He will give you the opportunity when you meet once more."

Egwene gaped, and covered by blowing her nose for what seemed the tenth time. She had forgotten about Rhuarc. Of course, nothing said she had to pay her obligation to him in the same way. Maybe her heart was at least partly Aiel, but for a moment her mind sought frantically for another method. There had to be one. And she would have plenty of time to find it before seeing him again. "I will be very grateful," she said faintly. And there was Melaine too. And Aviendha. Light! She had thought she was done with it. Her feet kept shifting no matter how hard she tried to hold still. There had to be another way.

So Egwene is currently positioned to be a major thorn in Rand's side and I'm guessing something is going to have to happen to convince her to join him rather than continue fighting him. Is it possible that some part of their reconciliation will be sparked by Egwene's necessity to meet her toh toward Rhuarc?

Or have I missed something? Has this already been dealt with? I know Egwene has since met with Aviendha and Melaine in the Dream World, but I don't remember it being dealt with. I can't remember Egwene having seen Rhuarc since LoC. Now that the great reunion is set to take place, I wonder if Egwene's toh toward Rhuarc will have to be met. She says she wants to meet her toh toward them in another way (no more beatings!) - perhaps it will be in a way that helps Rand.

It could be that the Wise One's were just teasing Egwene about needing to meet even more toh (Aiel humor?), but the Aiel tend to take matters of toh very seriously.

Egwene has not yet met her toh to Rhuarc but given the nature of her character, it will most likely happen. What Rhuarc chooses is unknown.

I highly doubt that would change Egwene's mind in relation to the breaking of the seals. Only Rand can do that by actually explaining his reasoning and presenting a plan.

My dream is that Rhuarc will make Egwene meet her toh at the Field of Merrilor. This certainly won't change Egwene's mind about anything but might give her a desperately needed dose of humility. But in all seriousness, I expect the matter will simply be quietly dropped. It happened before. Min's and Leane's obligations to Bryn seem to be forgotten. Also, Rand and Edorion had a rather large bet in FoH about Rand getting to Cairhien in time to save it. That was quietly dropped too. Rand never tried to collect and Edorion never tried to pay up.

Isn't it up to Egwene to decide how to meet her toh? It has been said several times that nobody else can decide the value of your honor, and I can't recall any situation where toh has been met by the other part setting the "punishment".

Of course, if it is to be settled " on scene" wich I am not at all sure about, it could also end like with Aviendha and Melaine, Rhuarc declaring "This woman has no toh to me".

Guest PiotrekS

I think it's too minor to be mentioned in the final book. If it is, it will probably be something like: "Meet your toth while battling Sightblighter.

The whole meeting of toh by Egwene has already served its purpose.

Egwene has not yet met her toh to Rhuarc but given the nature of her character, it will most likely happen. What Rhuarc chooses is unknown.

I highly doubt that would change Egwene's mind in relation to the breaking of the seals. Only Rand can do that by actually explaining his reasoning and presenting a plan.

Actually, I don't think that Rand would need to explain his reasoning and present a plan in order for Egwene to change her mind.

It is quite clear in the text that while Egwene believes that she was immune to Rand's ta'veren influence, she was in fact acting under that influence. Meaning that the Pattern required that she react as she did. If the requirements change, her reaction to the ta'veren influence may well change.

Individuals do not truly have agency in a world with a Pattern.

Well, it looks like she's trying to find a way out of that but even if she doesn't find one, I doubt it would have any heavy impact on things.

Is thread going to change into another anti-Egwene one?

It's strange how that happens.

She's a female chauvinist, a hypocrite and a bully,not to mention extremely manipulative.It's not surprising that people dislike her with fierce intensity, any single of those traits could rile up a reader against a character and Egg manages to combine them all.

Archived