DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Doctor Who Series 6

Emperor

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the new doctor, although think I still prefer David Tennant. Christmas episode bored me for the majority then depressed me at the end. Not sure I like Rory exactly, but I feel sorry for him as I don't like Amy Pond and she doesn't treat him that well. And both bow ties and fezzes are awesome. Really no idea what the next arc will be. Hoping it's better than the last glowy crack in time thing.

Haven't seen any full series of DW at all.

Watched snippets of Series 4 and all of "The End of Time." I'm on hold for DW series 6 at the library, but that's going to be a while.

I like the new Doctor, but I also like the Tenth. Both great Doctors in their own respects; and both can still be spontaneously witty.

Arc: no idea. Something about River Song.

Rory: ... poor Rory, gets dragged along by Amy and the Doctor. (Who am I to talk, I haven't seen it at all...)

Fezzes are cool. So are bowties. I admire anyone who can stand up to constant nagging about their clothing.

Right, don't forget stetsons (Series 6 trailer), and possibly mops.

About River Song:

I really, really, really hope she is not the Doctor's wife, because then what about Rose Tyler? Martha Jones? Good Queen Bess whose nickname does not apply anymore? All the companions that were a little more than friends to the Doctor?

Let's just have our archaeologist who's backwards in time (for the Doctor, at least)be a long-lost cousin who's half Time Lady.

~Shadowfaxx

The Christmas episode had me nearly converted to liking Doctor Who. And then it turned into an advert for everyone's favourite fake singer. I do like the new doctor, I prefer him to Tennant and I'm glad Russell T Davies is gone... I think he intentionally made the programme cheesey. I think the new series will be good. :)

Huh, how did I not notice this thread?

I love Doctor Who and the new Doctor has really grown on me. He's wacky and he really pulled off the fez. Liked season 5. Was only so-so about the Christmas ep. Still, can't wait for season 6.

I feel the same about Rory, though I do like Amy as well, mostly cause she's hot. :P

• Community Administrator

Huh, how did I not notice this thread?

I love Doctor Who and the new Doctor has really grown on me. He's wacky and he really pulled off the fez. Liked season 5. Was only so-so about the Christmas ep. Still, can't wait for season 6.

I feel the same about Rory, though I do like Amy as well, mostly cause she's hot. :P

I have to agree with this.

The season finale was....

AWESOME

Seriously, it was just that good.

And, I never knew Fezz's could be so cool.

Ok discuss.

What do you think is arc for this season?

How do you feel about the new Doctor?

Did you like the Christmas episode?

Do you like Rory?

Are fezzes really cool?

Starting with #2, I'm intentionally not trying to read ANYTHING about what's going to happen, because I'll start theorizing and it'll ruin it... but bleh! I guess I like Matt Smith, he's pretty good, has a spunky attitude, but I miss David Tennant dearly. Matt Smith is definitely growing on me, yes, and his sense of humor is nice and makes me warm and fuzzy inside. (it's almost 5am pardon any weirdness from me unsure.gif) Ahh yeah, he's good enough; Tennant couldn't hang around forever, right? RIGHT? dry.gif

Liked the Christmas eppy, definitely had to watch it a second time to get what I was seeing (the first time I was full of holiday-family-awkwardness and 12 hours from home), but the second time it was better! Needed more Amy though... *glare* Love her as a companion. Her and Rory both.

Me likes Rory. I think trying to get Doctor/companion lovey-relationship is a tad *iffy*. We already had the Rose fiasco (Bad-wolf bay and all), I think keeping Amy/Rory together is cute as can be and I believe Rory has his own funniness (funnyness... looks weird) that works well. At first, I admit, I HATED him, but I definitely think he's adorkable now.

Yes, fezzes are cool.

I watched the very first Doctor who Episode (from the 60's) this weekend. Man the production value was low and the Doctor seemed alien (get it!) to me from the ones I know. I am going to watch a few more to see if he just has not shown his quirkiness yet. I also watched some 4th Doctor Who (the one I really know) to remind me what he was like.

We gotta figure out what The Silence is. So I assume we will go down that road. I have read theories that it could have something to do with Omega or the Black Guardian, but I think it is something new.

It took me awhile to get over missing Tennant too. He was genius in the role. I do like Matt Smith though now and look forward to next season.

Loved it. Not sure why people are so grumpy about it.

Do you like Rory?

Sure, whatever. He isn't my favorite companion but I do not dislike him.

Are fezzes really cool?

They are now!

Well, obviously they still need to stop the silence. The finale of the fifth season does what the previous ones have done: seals the bond between a new doctor and his first companion. There are of course other things that still need to be tied up of course. The most exiting in my mind is the arc of River Song. Who is she REALLY?

I absolutely love him!.... in a platonic way of course XD I still like Tennant more, but just barely.

I enjoyed it. It's not going to win any awards or anything like that, but it certainly doesn't deserve the scrutiny its been receiving.

Do you like Rory?

I like the fact that he's there and the purpose he is supposed to be serving, I just don't like the way he is written.

Are fezzes really cool?

If this Doctor told me that DISCO was cool I'd believe him.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The BBC have released a rather spectacular new trailer for the upcoming new season of "Doctor Who" which kicks off Easter weekend.

The trailer reveals some surprising new scenes - most visibly is a shot of Rory and Amy in the Ecclestone/Tennant-era TARDIS control room while a big gold flash is happening. Could they be witnessing the regeneration of Tennant's 10th Doctor into Smith's 11th?

There's a return to the 51st Century locations seen at the start of last season's "The Pandorica Opens", creepy kids in masks, a pirate ship with ghosts, even The Doctor in a clown outfit in some dingy hotel room.

A scene mid-way through the trailer has a sinister voice in the TARDIS talking to Smith and boasting that it has killed hundreds of Time Lords. This is likely the same menace heard in last year's finale and is responsible for causing the cracks in space and time that was the season long thread last year.

Who it is is unconfirmed right now, though hardcore fans are still most keen on the theory that it's the return of classic series villain Omega, the stellar engineer responsible for giving the Time Lords the ability to time travel at the cost of being trapped forever in an antimatter universe.

Meanwhile a purported title for Neil Gaiman's episode, the fourth one of the upcoming season, has been revealed - "The Doctor's Wife".

Former "Coronation Street" actress Suranne Jones will appear in the episode as Idris, a character Gaiman calls "an old acquaintance with a new face".

How exactly the title applies is unsure, a trick ala "The Doctor's Daughter" or "The Next Doctor" episodes perhaps? Also what does this mean for The Doctor's relationship with River Song.

Of the episode, Gaiman says "It involves quite a big sprawl, huge alien world locations and a new take on a familiar character, which required a lot of work. It’s a big episode, but I think it’ll be one the fans will love. It’s a real love letter to the fans."

• 3 weeks later...

The most famous "Doctor Who" companion of them all, Sarah Jane Smith, is gone.

British actress Elisabeth Sladen has passed away after a battle with cancer. She was 63.

Sladen started out as a stage and TV actress and continued working in various productions aimed at children and family audiences right up until last year.

In 1973, Sladen came onboard "Doctor Who" as a new investigative journalist companion character named Sarah Jane Smith to replace the outgoing Jo Grant (Katy Manning).

She stayed on the show for nearly four years, through the last season with the Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) and much of the early run of the Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker).

Many of the episodes with Sladen and Baker together are still considered amongst the best stories produced throughout the show's history including "Genesis of the Daleks", "Pyramids of Mars", "Terror of the Zygons" and "The Brain of Morbius".

Her departure from the role made front page news in the UK, a feat never achieved by a Doctor's companion before. She returned briefly in the 80's and 90's for one off specials.

However she achieved fame again recently when she reprised the role in "School Reunion", an episode of the rebooted Who's second season in 2006 with the Tenth Doctor (David Tennant). Over the next few years she returned to 'Who' several more times including a brief cameo in Tennant's farewell episode "The End of Time: Part Two".

In 2007 her character was spun-off into its own children's show "The Sarah Jane Adventures" which ran for four seasons on CBBC. In that last season she encountered not only the new Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) but the companion she originally replaced - Katy Manning's Jo Grant character.

To this day she's widely considered the most famous companion character of them all, certainly she's appeared alongside more 'Doctors' than any other actress. To her many millions of fans of all ages, of which I'm proud to say I was one, our sincerest condolences.

Didn't like the way it ended. I wouldn't have minded it if they hadn't shown Amy apologising for shooting the girl in the next episode preview thing. Just took away the suspense.

Also, did anyone find those aliens seriously creepy? Was worse than watching the Walking Dead...

I watched the very first Doctor who Episode (from the 60's) this weekend. Man the production value was low and the Doctor seemed alien (get it!) to me from the ones I know. I am going to watch a few more to see if he just has not shown his quirkiness yet.

A lot of the more recognisably Doctorish traits began with the Second Doctor. He probably had a bigger impact than Hartnell on the role. Try tracking down a copy of Tomb of the Cybermen for a really good Second Doctor story.

Yeah that was creepy. Was kinda confused about the screw driver too. Was it even doing anything? And what was with the writing on everyone? How did they suddenly realise about the aliens? Think I need to watch the 1st episode again cos I feel like I've missed something somewhere along the line.

Yeah that was creepy. Was kinda confused about the screw driver too. Was it even doing anything? And what was with the writing on everyone? How did they suddenly realise about the aliens? Think I need to watch the 1st episode again cos I feel like I've missed something somewhere along the line.

It looks like the screwdriver was deflecting shots back to the Silence.

The marks was really pre-handrecorder. They needed a visual way to mark they had seen an alien so they wrote on their bodies to indicate how many they had seen. That way if you looked away and saw some marks on your arm you know you just saw one.

I don't think it was suddenly. It was months between episode 1 and episode 2. The Doctor even mention the timeframe and how hard it was to compile information about the enemy. If you recorded something or wrote a note... or something like that when looking... then looked away you could get some information that you would not forget. Meaing you were remember all the facts from your note but not writing it. The Doctor is smart and he probably started doing this the first time he noticed something was off.

• Community Administrator

The ending of the 2nd episode has me thinking exactly who that little girl is.

The thing that gets me is the phrase the doctor said when the stuff went down in the first episode.

"I know who you/what you are"

Then considering what happened at the end, makes me wonder if its not a return of whats his face, Or perhaps, if it has to deal with Pond's claiming one thing then the next it 'disapears'...

I have tons more questions.

The Silence are a race... but we also know they are something else. Silence will fall... what does that still mean? Why was it silent in Venice? Why would the Silence try to blow up the Tardis as this would also wipe them out? Why do they have a TARDIS like ship? Did the Doctor see/forget then in the Lodger last season?

I hope the little girl is Omega. Omega used The Silence race to bring him back to this world.

The marks was really pre-handrecorder. They needed a visual way to mark they had seen an alien so they wrote on their bodies to indicate how many they had seen. That way if you looked away and saw some marks on your arm you know you just saw one.

Ah ok, makes sense thanks.

I don't think it was suddenly. It was months between episode 1 and episode 2. The Doctor even mention the timeframe and how hard it was to compile information about the enemy. If you recorded something or wrote a note... or something like that when looking... then looked away you could get some information that you would not forget. Meaing you were remember all the facts from your note but not writing it. The Doctor is smart and he probably started doing this the first time he noticed something was off.

Oh ok see the reason I was confused is because in the TV guide it kept saying the 2nd episode picked up right where the 1st had ended and I took them at their word.

Hmmm maybe the girl is Amy Pond's daughter and the Doctor is the father? Lol. Wouldn't put it past her, cheating on Rory. Not a serious theory btw.

Oh, just thought of something else. Was very clever the Doctor using his recording to make humans turn on the Silence (although when you think about it, it's also quite horrific; every person in the world even little kids becoming killers) but wouldn't it also be quite easy for them to counter-command?

Archived