Bringing the Wheel of Time to the Screen

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 Werthead

Werthead
  • Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

I know the idea has been suggested before, but I just don't understand why it's been so disregarded.

Because Robert Jordan himself rejected it and no Japanese studio has shown an interest since.

One Japanese studio showed an interest in the early 2000s. However, they only wanted to make the first three books and then change the ending of TDR to being the Last Battle itself. RJ said no, that wouldn't cut it. That's the only interest that's ever been shown in the property from a Japanese studio.

In addition, the movie/TV rights are now held by Universal and they have been developing a live-action script, spending considerable sums (probably seven figures) in securing the rights from Red Eagle. They are not interested in an animation project which will not give them much in the way of return.

So in summary, people disregard the anime option because:

1) No anime studio is interested in doing it.

2) The one time one was, they wanted to cut the story down to nothing and Robert Jordan rejected that.

3) The TV/movie rights are now held by a studio who want to do a live-action project and are not interested at all in an animated project.

So it's currently impossible until the rights leave Universal (which might not be for years, if decades) and no-one's interested even if the rights are available.

Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F needs!

#122 Roedran a'Naloy

Roedran a'Naloy
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

Oh, yes, there's little likelihood it'd ever happen, but the same could be said of everything being discussed in this thread, it's all in meaningless fun, really.

#123 Werthead

Werthead
  • Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Oh, yes, there's little likelihood it'd ever happen, but the same could be said of everything being discussed in this thread, it's all in meaningless fun, really.

The Wheel of Time has sold 56 million copies in the United States and Canada alone. It's probably well over 80 million (maybe even over 90 million) worldwide. That's massive numbers, closing on the Twilight series and The Chronicles of Narnia and way, way ahead of things like His Dark Materials and Eragon (which have had movies made of them) or Sword of Truth, Outlander and A Song of Ice and Fire (which have had TV series made of them).

Based on that massive level of success, a film or television adaptation is inevitable. It's just a question of when.

Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F needs!

#124 wotfan4472

wotfan4472
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

Hopefully they are starting to plan what they are doing. It has been at least 9 months since the series ended, we should at the least be hearing something from Universal.

justiceleage_zpse83b31a6.jpg

#125 MichaelOfTheWhite

MichaelOfTheWhite
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:13 AM

I would be in favour of a VR WoT experience; perhaps the books turned into an oculus rift experience. Using graphics engine, of course.

#126 LordyLord

LordyLord
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Season 1: The Eye of the World and The Great Hunt
This season introduces the principal storylines and characters. Thematically it is Rand's story of self-discovery as he uncovers the truth of his birth and his destiny and initially tries to reject it. Season finale: the battle between Rand and Ba'alzamon at Falme and the destruction of the Seanchan expeditionary force by the Heroes of the Horn of Valere.

Season 2: The Dragon Reborn and The Shadow Rising
This season sees Rand investigate the truth of his background and what he is fated to do. He decides to seize the reigns and take control of his own destiny and recruit his own allies. Season finale: Rand uniting the Aiel clans at Alcair Dal.

Season 3: The Fires of Heaven and Lord of Chaos
The turning-point of the series as Rand (and, to a lesser extent, his friends) become famous and major players in the affairs of governments as the continent falls into warfare and chaos. Season finale: the Battle of Dumai's Wells, naturally.

Season 4: A Crown of Swords, The Path of Daggers and Winter's Heart
Rand consolidates his gains and alliances, confronts the resurgent Seanchan and, ultimately, challenges the Dark Ones taint on saidin. Season finale: the Cleansing.

Season 5: Crossroads of Twilight, Knife of Dreams and The Gathering Storm
Rand's journey into the heart of darkness and, ultimately, out of the other side. Season finale: Rand's epiphany atop Dragonmount and Egwene reunifying the Aes Sedai in the face of the Seanchan threat.

Season 6: Towers of Midnight and A Memory of Light
Rand finally confronts the Dark One. Season/series finale: the Last Battle.

VERY VERY GOOD!Made my account to say this.

As a suggestion though I feel Rands entire storyline in Dragons reborn should be squeezed into Season 1.Thus we have the entire arc of Rand embracing his destiny done in  Season 1

#127 LordyLord

LordyLord
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:12 AM

Really need to move fast on this adaptation.Shannara tv series is already coming out what are they waiting for?Dont they realize the more they wait the more chances they look like Copycats and bandwagaoners?

#128 wotfan4472

wotfan4472
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:59 AM

Yeah, the pressure is on now. Agreed that Universal needs to move. Maybe now that Legendary Pictures is at Universal, they will start doing things. Fingers crossed!!

justiceleage_zpse83b31a6.jpg

#129 trsutto

trsutto
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:13 PM

I believe tv is the only way to go such as hbo or Showtime. Adapting this to a 12-15 1 hour episode season would be fairly easy from a screen play point of view, and I don't think you would have to cut out a lot of the sub plots because as much as I love reading his books there are pages upon pages of descriptive writing through out the whole series that you don't need in the show. I think the hardest part will be in special effects such as cg and wardrobe and makeup for example the use of the one power with cg and staying accurate AND consistent with how is described in the book is going to be absolutely exhausting, especially how much it's used in later books. That's just one example then you have have wardrobe something that's usually a general style in shows peasants nobles merchants, but these books every land is a different style of dress so yoy would have to have a almost movie like wardrobe and costumes for all your actors. I think this will happen eventually but I think it will happen when cg technology is not as expensive and I don't think it will happen till game of thrones is over so they don't have to compete with it.