DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 4: Mad World

Two different takes on the song - one a sombre ballad, the other an electro-rock version.

ORIGINAL: Tears for Fears

Released in 1982, it peaked at number 3 in the UK charts for the British group. Originally meant to be a B-side, the group decided otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZRib_aAQFQ

vs.

COVER: Gary Jules and Michael Andrews

The cover was released 20 years later, and was used for the Donnie Darko film. Totally different as it is a ballad. It went to number 1 in the UK charts over the Christmas period.

Voting ends Saturday 5th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

I have always liked the Gary Jules/Michael Andrew cover version. Despite its sombre nature, it seems to fit the song better than Tears for Fears' original. So my vote goes for Gary Jules and Michael Andrews.

Time for the next song, and I will see if I can find one where Covers might win...

Well, I was certain that people who claim to be interested in music would pick an artist like Moto Boy over some karaoke-singer like Perelli... ;)

That said...

Gary Jules. For me, this is how the song should be done. This is how the melody should be treated.

Song 5: Toxic

Song 5 comes courtesy of Krakalakachkn, featuring a modern pop superstar whose personal issues seem to reach the front pages of celeb magazines, and a relatively unknown group (well, in the UK anyway!).

ORIGINAL: Britney Spears

This is a Grammy Award winning song for Spears that was released in 2004. It reached number 1 in the UK, and charted well in the US and across the globe. The music video caused some controvsary due to the scenes of Britney Spears appearing virtually naked, causing MTV to move it to late night rotation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPuWjyGqTA

vs.

COVER: Nickel Creek

Nickel Creek consisted of 3 members, whose music has roots from bluegrass. However, the group prefers to call their music "Progressive Acoustic". Here is a live cover of Britney Spear's song. The group picked up numerous awards before splitting up in 2007.

Voting ends Sunday 6th September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Really? Whoops! Well, it was late last night when I posted that, and I had been out drinking. Plus I was falling asleep on the tube home as well. Those are my excuses!  ;D

I'll correct it now.

Song 6: Billie Jean

Again, this song is chosen courtesy of Krakalakachkn (I'm being a bit lazy! lol!). It sees the recently departed King of Pop, Michael Jackson, take on the ex-Audioslave frontman, Chris Cornell.

ORIGINAL: Michael Jackson

Following his recent death, the King of Pop has seen a resurgance in his music. And this is one of his all time classics! Released in 1982, it charted at number 1 in a host of countries, including the US and the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En-cHBv7UpA

vs.

COVER: Chris Cornell

Chris Cornell has been the lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, before going solo full time. He covered the song for his 2007 album, Carry On. It is a very different to Jackson's, and as critics have commented, it has taken away the pop feel to the song.

Voting ends Wednesday 2nd September 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived