DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Two to wield callendor and alivia

spoke

Everybody seems to be speculating on who Rand will choose to assist him with wielding Callendor, assuming one with be Nynaeve, and the other up to tons of speculation. All of you are just wrong on this.

Point: Cadsuane stated that callendor can only be wielded SAFELY when in a circle lead by TWO women because it lacks the proper SAFETY BUFFER.

Point: Alivia was viewed by Min and we are told she will help Rand Die.

Point: when a channeller overdoses on the one power, they can Channel so much more than they could ever do so normally, that it often costs their life, or their ability to channel.

Point: Lots of prophecies point to Rand dieing during the last battle.

Proposal: While in a traditional circle, one cannot overdose on the one-power.

My thoughts are that Saidin and Saidar will both be needed to defeat the dark one, but it will be needed more than anyone can hope to weild un-aided, no matter the angreal, circles, callendor etc...

So Rand, with the help from Alivia, will re-seal/kill/defeat/whatever the Dark One, by overdosing on the One Power to the point that both will be killed. Since you cannot normally overdose on the one power in a circle, Callendor is necessary for this to succeed since it lacks the safety buffer. Thus Alivia will help him die and Callendor will serve it's prophesied purpose (whether she dies or not is irrelevant). This is also why the Choden-Kal are insufficient to do the job, they have the safety buffers that limit their ability whereas the overdosing doesn't.

Examples supporting my hypothesis: Lews Therin created Dragonmount and modified the landscape by pulling more than should have been possible. Further comments from Rand on Dragonmount (TGS) show that when Lews created the mountain, he pulled power to rival that in the Choden-Kal, and that was without the female half of the source.

Aemon's wife (can't remember her name), wiped out the Dreadlords, their armies and leveled/consumed the city of Mantherene, again more than anyone else can do unaided.

Well for starters Rand's already asked Nynaeve, so something would have to happen to stop her helping and your suggestion would have made his asking a bit pointless and a waste of page-space. Secondly, Rand didn't trust Alivia to cleanse saidin with him so why would he trust her with this? Also, Rand doesn't want to die, so I doubt he'd only go with one woman if he had a choice.

I have to say though it does make for an interesting theory, cos it would explain the viewing of Alivia, which I've never come up with any decent explanations for.

Everybody seems to be speculating on who Rand will choose to assist him with wielding Callendor, assuming one with be Nynaeve, and the other up to tons of speculation. All of you are just wrong on this.

Point: Cadsuane stated that callendor can only be wielded SAFELY when in a circle lead by TWO women because it lacks the proper SAFETY BUFFER.

Point: Alivia was viewed by Min and we are told she will help Rand Die.

Point: when a channeller overdoses on the one power, they can Channel so much more than they could ever do so normally, that it often costs their life, or their ability to channel.

Point: Lots of prophecies point to Rand dieing during the last battle.

they also speak of him living after dying. One answer from Aelfinn was that to live he must die. There are many other indications that Rand will die and be somehow resurrected. Of course he might die again after that but that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

Proposal: While in a traditional circle, one cannot overdose on the one-power.

My thoughts are that Saidin and Saidar will both be needed to defeat the dark one, but it will be needed more than anyone can hope to weild un-aided, no matter the angreal, circles, callendor etc...

So Rand, with the help from Alivia, will re-seal/kill/defeat/whatever the Dark One, by overdosing on the One Power to the point that both will be killed. Since you cannot normally overdose on the one power in a circle, Callendor is necessary for this to succeed since it lacks the safety buffer. Thus Alivia will help him die and Callendor will serve it's prophesied purpose (whether she dies or not is irrelevant). This is also why the Choden-Kal are insufficient to do the job, they have the safety buffers that limit their ability whereas the overdosing doesn't.

There is no indication that going past the safe limit allows one to channel unlimited amount of power. It does allow one to channel quite a lot but there is certainly a limit as the process fries out whoever is doing it. Choedan Kal allowed Rand to draw enough power to destroy the whole world. There is no reason to believe that he could do anywhere near as much with Callandor even drawing as much as he possibly could. Also, it's made very clear in the story that defeating the DO will not be a question of brute force as your theory suggests.

Lastly, I believe you are misinterpreting slightly the role of a buffer on an angreal or sa'angreal. As I understand it a buffer allows to draw on the power without unintentionally going over the safe limit. Intentional going over the safe limit is possible just as it is possible when not using any angreal at all. Rand does it with Choedan Kal as a matter of fact.

He closed his eyes, drawing in more and more power, feeling as he had only twice before. Once when he had cleansed saidin. Once when he had created this mountain.

Then he drew in more. He knew that much power would destroy him. He had stopped caring.

tGS, Ch 50

That would surely give him way more power than Callandor ever could.

Examples supporting my hypothesis: Lews Therin created Dragonmount and modified the landscape by pulling more than should have been possible. Further comments from Rand on Dragonmount (TGS) show that when Lews created the mountain, he pulled power to rival that in the Choden-Kal,

I've wondered about this part myself but the reasonable explanation suggested by someone here was that this was just how it made him feel, not that he actually pulled as much power when he made the mountain as later with the Choedan Kal. The actual quote above supports that idea.

However, while I think that your overall theory is wrong there is something in it. I personally believe that the fact that Rand drew more power than he could safely on top of the Dragonmount had something to do with his transformation there.

Well for starters Rand's already asked Nynaeve, so something would have to happen to stop her helping and your suggestion would have made his asking a bit pointless and a waste of page-space. Secondly, Rand didn't trust Alivia to cleanse saidin with him so why would he trust her with this? Also, Rand doesn't want to die, so I doubt he'd only go with one woman if he had a choice.

I have to say though it does make for an interesting theory, cos it would explain the viewing of Alivia, which I've never come up with any decent explanations for.

Rand trusts now. He's a changed man.

Archived