DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So... JordanCon?!

jemron

Like most of us here, I was unable to go to JordanCon this year. So what happened? Anything really interesting or revelatory? Did Brandon or Harriet or Team Jordan give any nuggets of cool stuff we can speculate over for a few months?

I NEED to know!

Theory panel looked like a lot of fun. Thanks for the update links Terez!

I actually think that theory about everyone needing to gather together for the "Last Battle" to sing "The Song" is a pretty compelling/good one. The Ogier, Tua'tha'an, Aiel, Everyone need to all be there to sing the song that will seal the DO's prison. It fits and there's been plenty of foreshadowing and setup for it to work.

Harriet mentioned in the Kaffe Klatch that it was possible MOL would end up being too big to fit in one volume, and so it might end up two books. But then Sanderson in the status update really didn't leave much opening that it would at all be possible. So.....

That was the one shocker that I heard personally, but there could be others. Oh yeah and AMOL released November 2012, but I'm sure that's been mentioned somewhere else.

Interesting. My first instinct was to doubt you on what Harriet said, but Emma verified it (and she thinks Harriet might have been trying to prepare her specifically for the possibility, which might well be true - Emma's opinions about splitting the book were well known, as I mentioned in this thread).

Yup. That wasn't announced officially anywhere but all of the insiders (like Matt) seemed to have been informed when we got to JordanCon.

That's big news. Disappointed that we'll have to wait longer to see what happens but I can't say that I'm surprised. He's only like 1/3 of the way through his re-read and has barely started writing anything and its almost May. Plus I think the book will benefit from a longer run through the editing process. We should get a more polished finished product which is more important than getting it a few months earlier.

Yup.

Not surprised, no. Brandon still believes he'll be able to put a complete (not final) draft on their desk by the beginning of '12, but he did say this time they'll take their time with the editing process, since the last installments deserves to be free of such afflictions as ToM suffered from. To (loosely) quote him, it "might be ready by March, it might be later". Once Brandon speculates about a delay, it never fails to occur. And really, a March release doesn't make good marketing sense, so I suspected either June or November. We have to remember that the editing wasn't all that was rushed last time - all stages of production were. There have to be costs to that, not only financial ones (less QA, more printing mistakes, for example).

Still, I'm disappointed. Can't help it; I hoped Tom Doherty would've made everything in his power to stand by what he promised us when he announced the splitting of AMoL - three installments over the course of two years (which means Brandon would've had a year to do each, since the count starts on the day TGS is released). Failing that (as he now must), I hoped we'll see real commitment to a speedy release (not including the creative parts), and I can't believe January through November is the fastest they can do it. But, I don't mind terribly, since I know it mostly had to be done. Brandon can't write WoT nonstop, and we did get SA1:TWoK from him last year, and will get M:TAoL this year (or was that '12 as well?).

What I do worry about is this talk about splitting. I didn't quite get what you meant there. Did Emma get the impression they'll be splitting it again in addition to the delayed release?

I didn't link to her post since Theoryland was down when I posted, but it's at the top of Future Books now. To sum up, Emma got the impression a split was unlikely. And I think that your opinion on speed is in the minority - our expectations on that point were always unrealistic, and they were only even possible because Brandon is a much faster writer than RJ was in later years (though it's worth noting that RJ did a book a year through the longest books of the series, 4-6...it's also worth noting that he damn near killed himself doing it).

I was clear with Harriet with the KK that I was perfectly ok with it being two books and taking longer to resolve. At this point, I'm going on 20 years of reading this series, I can wait another 3-4 to find out the ending and it's not like it's going to matter much. One other person at the KK said the same thing, but no one spoke up in opposition.

To be clear, I don't think it will happen. But, I'd rather it done right, than done fast. This is the end for my "friends" I've carried close to me for almost 20 years, I'm going to hate to say goodbye. Plus I know that Brandon isn't going to move as slow as RJ, so if he had to do two books it's not like they would be "boring". If he had two books worth of material to put down, I think that would rock, time frame is irrelevant at this point, at least IMHO.

Marcos

So... Terez... is "makes perfect sense" the new "intuitively obvious"?

lol. Only for loony theories. :biggrin:

I was clear with Harriet with the KK that I was perfectly ok with it being two books and taking longer to resolve. At this point, I'm going on 20 years of reading this series, I can wait another 3-4 to find out the ending and it's not like it's going to matter much. One other person at the KK said the same thing, but no one spoke up in opposition.

Yeah, Emma probably didn't have to speak up to let her feelings be known, but after things turned out for the best with the original split, I imagine Emma is not so opposed to it as she once was.

My full report on the drive with Brandon is here. Now to work on putting it all in the database...

Cool! Thanks a lot. It does look like he is shooting from the hip on some questions such as the one about Rand in TAR in TDR. He might want to take that one back. It does not make sense to me. It's one thing to have a vague TAR reflection during a momentous occasion like that in VoG and quite another to get there like Rand did in TDR and actively interact with people and objects.

I found the answer about Shayol Ghul possibly being reachable in TAR very surprising and also very interesting. I would have thought that the answer would be "no" as it is in the Blight but it does very much look like the answer is "yes". and not only that but it looks like this might play a role in aMoL.

On another subject, it's now totally clear that the fat man angreal will show up. it's quite a mystery what's happened to it. should be interesting.

He did deflect a few questions which I really wished he did not but overall quite a lot of good info there.

Archived