DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Making ter'angreal?

JKN-SW

I am rereading the WoT and started wonering about one thing. Isn't the making of ter'angral a lost skill? If so, where do the Seanchan get all their a'dam from and how did they make copies of the sad bracelets? Or have they redicovered that skill, can't remember that it is mentioned anywhere?

Seanchan can only make one ter'angreal. Thats the a'dam. Its been passed down for a long time in Seanchan history.

As for the domination band, Id think it was Semirhage who copied them. If not, the DB is similar to the a'dam, it would be fairly easy to replicate.

As for the domination band, Id think it was Semirhage who copied them. If not, the DB is similar to the a'dam, it would be fairly easy to replicate.

You know something that has always struck me as weird? The feeling the characters get while touching the band.

You know something that has always struck me as weird? The feeling the characters get while touching the band.

Yes, it is weird to me aswell.

I always just put it down to them sensing the history of the domination band (the original one from Tanchico.) It was obviously used for evil, there was no need to collar men in the AoL.

The use of it is enough to make it seem evil, but yes, it is strange, it could be something else. There are still a few copies left with Tuon, perhaps there is something more. (although I doubt that Rand will get collared AGAIN. THat plotline has already been explored. Plus, after being leashed by the Lady of Pain, Tuon would be kind of a let-down. Rand would own her.)

Seanchan can only make one ter'angreal. Thats the a'dam. Its been passed down for a long time in Seanchan history.

Is this described somewhere or is it somthing that is generally asumed?

Sorry, which part are you talking about? Ill answer both.

1. It has been said by RJ himself that the Seanchan can only make the one ter'angreal. (see theoryland quote database: Seanchan)

2. In the BWB, it gives the origins of the Seanchan, one of the Aes Sedai gave the a'dam to Luthair(Hawkwing's son). Ever since then, they have been able to create them. It may be that they have some kind of ter'angreal that allows the creation of the a'dam (like the one in the WT, allowing the creation of fancloth -warder cloaks)

Hope that clarifies

1. It has been said by RJ himself that the Seanchan can only make the one ter'angreal. (see theoryland quote database: Seanchan)

2. In the BWB, it gives the origins of the Seanchan, one of the Aes Sedai gave the a'dam to Luthair(Hawkwing's son). Ever since then, they have been able to create them. It may be that they have some kind of ter'angreal that allows the creation of the a'dam (like the one in the WT, allowing the creation of fancloth -warder cloaks)

Hope that clarifies

Yes that helsp thanks. :smile: Wasn't aware that RJ had commented on this, and couldn't remember reading about it.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Mysterious Galaxy, San Diego 15 November 2009 - Freelancer reporting

Q. Mr. Jordan stated that the Seanchan only know how to make one kind of ter'angreal. Then there are the Bloodknives' rings. Is this a departure from Jordan's notes, or a discrepancy in a past answer?

A. Neither. The Seanchan only know how to make a'dam.

There is one quote for you. (i chose it because it referenced RJ's original one, while answering another question)

Yes, it is weird to me aswell.

I always just put it down to them sensing the history of the domination band (the original one from Tanchico.) It was obviously used for evil, there was no need to collar men in the AoL.

The use of it is enough to make it seem evil, but yes, it is strange, it could be something else. There are still a few copies left with Tuon, perhaps there is something more. (although I doubt that Rand will get collared AGAIN. THat plotline has already been explored. Plus, after being leashed by the Lady of Pain, Tuon would be kind of a let-down. Rand would own her.)

The other things that give characters a similar kind of feeling are the Seals. Nynaeve comments on this IIRC. The evil feeling seemed to dissipate after the seal she found broke on the way to Salidar.

Hope that clarifies

I wonder who made the Bloodknife rings..

1. good point about the seals. Perhaps the DB is then somehow connected to the DO? It would almost have certainly be created by the Shadow.

2. I wondered about that too. Its not like they can get back the rings each time somebody uses them either. they go to die. They would have to have thousands of them hanging around since the AoL.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that there is a ter'angreal (like the one i mentioned earlier) that creates them. IT would make the authors' comments true. Technically, the Seanchan would only know how to make the one. The ter'angreal would be making the others.

Also, it is mentioned somewhere when Egwene is collared by the Seanchan and tested for talents, when they find out she can delve metals (where do we see this have any impact in the later books btw? Is it that only those strong in Earth can make Cuendillar?) they mention something that it is a powerful talent and that if she show to be able to make Ter'angreals as well then she will surely have a special place in the society. I'm paraphrasing though, and all my books are up in the attic in a box so can't find it again =S

Difficult to imagine the Bloodknife rings were made by agents of the Light. They could be remnants from the War of Power. the Shadow would have no hassle with sacrificing regiments of soldiers.

The DB can obviously be replicated with OP, even if it was originally made with TP. It is a post-Breaking creation that makes it less likely, though not impossible, that it would have been made with TP.

Terangreal making was lost to main land channelers.

Elayne was the first main land character to rediscover the Talent. Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos.

If Ishamael had/has the terangreal making Talent, he might have been one candidate that might have made the male adam.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Mysterious Galaxy, San Diego 15 November 2009 - Freelancer reporting

Q. Mr. Jordan stated that the Seanchan only know how to make one kind of ter'angreal. Then there are the Bloodknives' rings. Is this a departure from Jordan's notes, or a discrepancy in a past answer?

A. Neither. The Seanchan only know how to make a'dam.

First a'dam was made during Hawkwing's days. That was about "1 125-1 150 years ago" (AMoL). Give or take...

(Hawkwing sent his fleet across the ocean 1 125 years ago.)

Edit: Maybe it was after they had sailed across the Aryth ocean? In that case it was less than 1 125 years ago.

Edit(again): It was during Luthair Paendrag's rule that the a'dam was invented. It must have been less than 1 125 years ago.

Domination Band

A finely jointed collar and two bracelets of dull black metal. Made during the Breaking, it is a ter'angreal, a male version of the a'dam, that allows a woman or two women to control a man who can channel. The sad bracelets are dangerous to use. They do not prevent the man from going mad and eventually he will be able to control the woman as well as she controlling him. Two women reduce this back seepage, but control lessens as well. The sad bracelets are made of a material like cuendillar and are nearly impossible to destroy.

OK, it seems the Domination band was made during the breaking. Deain might have been black.

13:th depository:

The male a’dam was made during the Breaking (The Gathering Storm, The Last That Could Be Done). Presumably, women tried to make a device that would enable them to control male channellers despite the taint. Making them from cuendillar ensured their unbreakability. When Semirhage obtained access to the Domination Band and, presumably a male channeller to use it upon, she found it could completely compel the male channeler to obey. Wearing the collar, a man is unable to channel without permission of the dominant bracelet wearer, and cannot move or speak without her permission either. He can be forced to move and/or channel as the bracelet wearer desires. If he tries to reach for saidin he experiences agony.

I didn't remember that. Who taught Deain? Could Ishy have done it whilst in a circle?

Archived