DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Onward to Tar Valon!

Amore was not unaccustomed to strange looks by sea fairer. Her dark skin was something usually seen in the Atha’an Miere or to a redder version the Aiel. But Amore was neither of these, she was ‘black’, at least that is how the other children had described her. Most of them had been pale of skin and rosy in complexion. Often she envied them for there ability to fit into a ‘normal’ of the society she lived in, but not all of the time.

There was something about her dark skin that lent to, more than took away from, her beauty. It gave her an exotically enticing appearance even at the developing age of sixteen. Her hair was freshly done up in a multitude of braids, small beads clicking together at the ends, and her green eyes looked humbly upon the woman who had boarded ship with her some few days gone. They were headed to Tar Valon by river way, after a few days horse ride.

The Aes Sedai was nice enough, but she kept a distance Amore couldn’t account a reason to. It was as if because Amore was not her personal charge, the Aes Sedai was attempting to not step on any toes. Amore didn’t know then but was soon to find out who’s toes those were. The Mistress of Novices, the Aes Sedai explained, was in charge of all initiates of the tower.

Upon docking in the southern harbor, Amore followed the Aes Sedai into the Tower, she tried hard not to gawk at her surroundings. She’d grown up privileged and was used to nice things. She attempted the calm certainty that this place was home, not a Tower in which she didn't belong; like the Aes Sedai before her did. She knew what she was here for, what she wanted. She would become Aes Sedai, this would be her home.

The other woman lead Amore through long elaborate hallways, passed alcoves and libraries. Eventually they came to a door richly designed and ancient in appearance. The Aes Sedai turned to Amore and told her to wait in the hall quietly until summoned. Bobbing a curtsy Amore did as told, twiddling her thumbs in nervousness as the two women behind the door talked about her.

She thought about Simon, and how much she missed him already. Denial still fogged her mind, and in the weeks to come she was sure she would mourn for him as if he had died, for in some ways he had, he would no longer be apart of this new life.

Tears threatened her, but she was mature, and in control, she closed her eyes and breathed. She was doing this for herself, to become better. She would do this thing, and one day maybe…she could help people like her and Simon, who had no where and no one.

She heard the door open, and the Aes Sedai who’d told her of her fathers death, and now years later, informed her after testing her in the alley of Mayene that she could become Aes Sedai. The woman who she realized now, was a being of Light, sent form the creator to save her life before she ended it under her mother’s tyrannical outpourings, smiled at her.

Amore wanted to weep, to thank her, but simply shook her head in a nod, as the woman told her to enter the office. Amore doesn’t know, but it will be the last time she sees the Aes Sedai who saved her in this world.

Cracking open the door, Amore entered and curtsied lowly. “Good evening Aes Sedai, I am fortunate to be here, and am eager to begin, I am Amore Le’fay” For all of her humility, she did not cast a timid glance at the floor, she met the other woman's eyes with a gaze that she hopped said; I am here, I want to be here, I am humble, and I'm able.

Amore Le'fay

Retro-Novice

Edited by Amore

Valeri stood at the western window of her study watching the sun sink rapidly towards the horizon. Sipping her tea she sighed in pleasure, the Saldaean blends she favoured always reminded her of home. The sun was almost gone now, throwing futive rays of sunshine through the clouds, turning the hues of pink, orange and the purples of dusk. Soon she would retire to her quarters, it had been a long day.

She sipped her tea again and remembered Lisella. The promising Novice had been so excited about her testing when summoned in the wee hours of the morning, yet when the Ter'Angreal grew quiet the Novice had not returned. They had waited hours, in vain. Perhaps Lisella had found a more attractive future on the other side of the Ter'Angreal, well that was what she hoped anyway. "May the Creator shelter you Lisella." she murmured.

As the sun disappeared, it's last rays flickering over the mountains, there was a sharp knock at the door to her study. "Come" she said.

The door cracked open and a dark skinned lass of middle teenage years stepped through. Her hair was a multitude of beaded braids, the lass curtsied and bowed her head. When she stood she looked Valeri in the eye confidently and spoke with a lilting accent, “Good evening Aes Sedai, I am fortunate to be here, and am eager to begin, I am Amore Le’fay”

"Welcome Amore," Valerie replied with a smile. Perhaps this day was not all bad after all. Valeri set her empty teacup on the sideboard and moved towards her desk. "Won't you sit down?" she said indicating the chair placed before her desk.

The lass sat and smoothed her skirts over her knees. "Now Amore, perhaps you can tell me about yourself and how you have come to be at the White Tower?"

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Traditional Novices

Entering the room, Amore took in her surroundings, including a paddle of wood on a shelf that seemed worn smooth from years of use. She hoped it never found her bottom, the wood looked thick and strong despite age. Somewhat like the woman who inhabited the office. The Aes Sedai stood near a window overlooking the city, and the farmlands that sprawled once passed the city bridges.

It dawned on the young woman that it would be years again before she knew that world, the one beyond the White Walls. How very strange to think to serve the people, she first had to be sequestered from them. The Aes Sedai had lovely features, and a height of what most would call average. Her silken like hair made Amore feel a pang of jealousy, but it passed easily.

"I am afraid I was not told your name Aes Sedai, so please forgive me if I sound adverse to using it; it is do to a lack of knowledge, not a lack of respect."

Taking the offered seat, she bowed her head again in thanks. Looking at the table, she motioned as if to ask if the other woman would like her to refill her tea cup. Amore noticed a few worn places on her nice dress, and frowned at them smoothing them over her knees. The dress had been one of her finest upon starting her journey. Although the Aes Sedai had told her these clothes would no longer matter, she felt a little sorry for the fabric.

"I arrived in the Southern Hardor just a short while ago, and was brought straight here. The past few days have been a whirlwind of change in my life, but I will do my best to recount it for you correctly, Aes Sedai."

Her voice was rich and warm, somewhat deep for a girl. But it was evident that a clam detached passion lived within her, accepting and changing with the times; as she was doing now. Change was the only constant, and she had learned with her father and siblings deaths that one never knew tomorrows winds.

"I am from Mayene, my father was a Merchant, a good one too. Mom was born to money, and between them I grew up comfortably; until my 14th naming day. Dad and my siblings were killed in some sort of boating accident. A woman came to our door and told us." She paused, realizing this had little to do with the other woman's question.

"The Aes Sedai who informed us of my families demise was back within the city for the parade. I saw her for the first time since the night she told me half the light of my world had been extinguished. I tried to run from her," Amore admitted sheepishly.

"But she recognized me, perhaps it was my reaction to her, to run. Seeing her again...well Aes Sedai it reminded me of the start of the bad times; dad's death, the loss of my siblings, mom's mental illness finally taking full control without Dad there to help keep her in check." She paused, but continued in a clam and steady voice. Emotionally the child had been through much, and it seemed to be having an effect, slowly she was pulling herself inward, away from the world and pain that surrounded.

"She stopped me from running, at least I think it was her; I was unable to move. She told me she thought I might have been a run away from the Tower by my reaction to her....that is until she realized who I was." Amore studied the other woman now, wondering if she heard stories like this all the time, if it even mattered to anyone.

"It was in the alley where I tried to run she pulled out a small jewel, unlike any other I have seen before. She released me from invisble holds, and I didn't know what she was doing but I felt something; the next time I looked, the jewel was a glow with an almost icy blue light. She told me I could learn to channel, and that I needed to come here for training."

Amore sat a long moment, then abashedly looked up. "I lied to her about something though, to get out of Mayene. I told her I had no family left, no one she had to talk to. But I do, Aes Sedai. I have a Mother, a mother who probably is celebrating over her life of freedom now that I am no longer left to tie her down."

Pausing she breathed, not realizing how much she'd wanted to talk to someone about what was going on, if only to get it straight in her own mind. Was that a tear? When had she started crying? Silly girl! there was nothing for her to cry about....only the loss of everything she'd known.

Recollecting herself, she waited to see what the Mistress of Novice's would say. Perhaps Amore would find that wooden paddle on her backside quicker than anyone who'd come to the Tower. One did not lie to an Aes Sedai.

Amore Le'fay

Retro Novice

Edited by Amore

• 2 weeks later...

Valeri listened in silence as the lass seated before her spun out her tale. As her voice stilled Valeri spoke, "I am Valeri Kinaea, the Mistress of Novices here at the White Tower, you may address me as Valeri Sedai."

"You have had quite a difficult journey in your life haven't you child?" Valeri asked gently. "It is good you have been tested already, though i would expect you to never allow a lie to pass your lips again. From this day forward you speak no word that is not true."

Valeri warmed the teapot with a thread of fire as she stood and moved to the sideboard. Pouring two cups she placed one in front of Amore before re-taking her seat.

"Now lass, do you have any questions about the White Tower before we add your name to the Novice Book?"

Valeri Kinaea

Amore's shoulders slumped, her backbone finally giving in, she felt as if made of jello. The last thing she'd been expecting was for this woman, Valeri Sedai, was to show her kindness. Amore heard the cup as it was sat down lightly; she could hear the Mistress of Novices speak, and knew what the words meant, but she wasn't really there in the the room for a moment. It was like her mind had finally given up, given in. It was admitting it couldn't keep up, not with so much changing, so much unknown.

She seemed to be looking down a long tunnel at the room around her. Her face felt warm, but she knew she would look pale. Was she about to faint? Is this what madness felt like? She gripped for something, anything to keep from losing consciousness. She could hear herself speak, but the voice was so normal, it wouldn't have been her own, not when she felt as though she were but a wet rag among a silk tailors stock.

"I will not lie to a Sister again, Aes Sedai. I do have a question, a rather obvious one for which I must apologize. What is the One Power, Valeri Sedai? These women keep saying I can become Aes Sedai, but why me? I can channel they say, I only know the stories of it, is it magic, Aes Sedai?" Amore waited for the answer before asking the next thing that she could think of, giving herself time to process Valeri Sedai's answer. She was holding on, but barely; like gripping fingernails on the edge of a mental breakdown.

"I had a friend in Mayene, a young man.... I will never see him again, will I Aes Sedai?" Amore thought of Simon, of her only friend in the entire world for the past two years. Why had she abandoned him to come here? What kind of person did that make her? She wanted to cry again, but fought it. She would be alone soon, and could cry without being heard.

Amore Le'fay

Retro-Novice

Edited by Amore

• 1 month later...

"I will not lie to a Sister again, Aes Sedai. I do have a question, a rather obvious one for which I must apologize. What is the One Power, Valeri Sedai? These women keep saying I can become Aes Sedai, but why me? I can channel they say, I only know the stories of it, is it magic, Aes Sedai?"

Valeri smiled at the child seated before her. "The One Power is what drives the Wheel of Time Amore. The Pattern is formed as the wheel turns, and our lives are laid out before us." Amore's eyes widened at that, "You will learn more in your lessons child, that is the most basic of explanations."

Amore nodded and looked thoughtful for a few moments before she spoke again, "I had a friend in Mayene, a young man.... I will never see him again, will I Aes Sedai?"

Amore's eyes threatened to tear up, Valeri stood and moved to the girl's side and patted her shoulder. "Probably no, child," she began, "To be Aes Sedai is to remain ageless while your friends and loved ones grow old and die. Perhaps you shall see him someday, perhaps not. I do not say this to be cruel Amore, it is but simple truth. My door will always be open to you if you need me during these times of adjustment."

Valeri took her place again and reached down to lift the Novice Book from her lower drawer, flipping through the book Valeri found the most recent entries. "Amore, can you tell me your full name and place of birth, and your current age also please."

Valeri took up her pen and entered the details in the prescribed sections as Amore spoke. Valeri finished the entry with the flourish of her own signature. Setting her pen down Valeri smiled at Amore and spoke the final words sealing her to the Tower forever, "Welcome to Tar Valon, Amore Le'Fay. Welcome to the White Tower, Novice Amore."

Valeri Kinaea

OOC: My sincerest apologies to you Amore, for my absence when you needed me. Ama.