DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gay Male Character In Towers of Midnight

Luckers

So, Terez, Brandon and I have been discussing sexuality in the Wheel of Time on Twitter, and Brandon informs us that there is a gay male character in Towers of Midnight, but he's leaving it up to us to figure out who.

From the context of the discussion it's clear this is a new character as of TofM.

Here are the tweets.

@WoTLuckers @Terez27 I will say that there IS a gay male in TofM, placed there on my part as I felt similar to you on this issue.

@WoTLuckers @Terez27 I was going to tell you who it was, but figuring this out is the sort of thing you guys love, isn't it?

@feelieking @WoTLuckers @Terez27 I'll note that references to his sexuality was cut merely because I moved the chapter with mention to AMOL.

@WoTLuckers @Terez27 Yes. I won't say if it's a new character or one I made a decision on, since there weren't notes either way.

(the struck through part I was wrong about, but left to explain the next two posts).

Thoughts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Terez, Brandon and I have been discussing sexuality in the Wheel of Time on Twitter, and Brandon informs us that there is a gay male character in Towers of Midnight, but he's leaving it up to us to figure out who.

From the context of the discussion it's clear this is a new character as of TofM.

Thoughts?

I am so glad! :D I have no Idea who it is going to be, but I hope he gets a nice boyfriend.

Actually, your right, and he said as much to us.

@WoTLuckers @Terez27 Yes. I won't say if it's a new character or one I made a decision on, since there weren't notes either way.

Missed this comment, first time round.

I think that does leave the option open that it is Moridin [as per our last discussion on the subject]--though honestly he seems too big of a character.

Right, that's why I made the Dumbledore comparison. I somehow doubt Brandon would do that, especially considering the Goodkind comparison (which he mentioned). If you're going to have one male character in the whole series, it can't be the most evil dude in existence. Even if he is a rather sympathetic evil dude.

True. Although Goodkind's evil dude's evil was all in his sexual activities. That aspect--the open, almost lacivious display of pedophilia--always troubled me, even with the fate that befell him.

I'd not have a huge problem with the one gay depicition being Moridin--but others might not see it that way.

True. Although Goodkind's evil dude's evil was all in his sexual activities. That aspect--the open, almost lacivious display of pedophilia--always troubled me, even with the fate that befell him.

I'd not have a huge problem with the one gay depicition being Moridin--but others might not see it that way.

I also wouldn't really see it that way - not in the Goodkind way, certainly - but I think Brandon would be reluctant to go down that road.

I like the idea of Guybon, and I find it likely since Elayne plans on maybe bonding him and that would cut down on the jealousy aspect with Rand. It fits.

I like the idea of Guybon, and I find it likely since Elayne plans on maybe bonding him and that would cut down on the jealousy aspect with Rand. It fits.

Yep, and he was totally eyeballing Mat in TofM, will be interesting to see how far aMoL takes the Brokeback Dragonmount theme.

I also wouldn't really see it that way - not in the Goodkind way, certainly - but I think Brandon would be reluctant to go down that road.

I can understand that re:Moridin--after all I made a similar point about RJ potentially being wary of precisely that.

I dunno about Guybon--he was based on a real person, remember.

"Emarin"; he's unmarried, elegant, polite, fussy, elderly bachelor. Difficult for a nobleman like Algiarin to remain a bachelor since there'd be pressure to get married and settle the estates.

Androl; he doesn't fancy Pevara even though she's repeatedly described as pretty.

Taim; he hates women though that's not uncommon with straight men.

I just reread chaptr 23 from CoT and while it doesn't specifically mention Algarin as having a wife or children, it is noted that his house had grown over the years when their numbers were more numerous.

Also, Cads flat out states that Emarin was his younger brother so I dunno, may have to step back on that one.

I actually really like the idea of Beslan, aside from his womanising past. Especially since I really hope to see him play a role in helping Fortuona see the truth--he's in kind of a perfect position to begin that, after all... she to some degree needs to pay attention to him, and his position on channelers is ambiguos... he doesn't love them, but he doesn't hate them--and that is enough to provide the first step for Fortuona--the realisation that people on this side of the ocean don't all secretly agree with her.

Wait. Gay. Yes. Focus. :D

Actually Brandon stated that chapter is already written. Originally it was meant for TofM. So, you've lost nothing of aMoL as a result of this discussion.

Mmmm, that is interesting.

The only scenes (that have been widely mentioned in any case) that were cut out of ToM to possibly go into AMOL are the Black Tower scenes. (the 50k words of Pevera being awesome?)

Seems to indicate that it will be in there.

So Androl/ Algarin, I think is most likely, if this is indeed the case.

I really dont think it will be any character in the story for any prolonged amount of time. If i read correctly, the homosexual was written in by Brandon, there being no notes to include this from RJ.

Now I have absolutely no problem with Brandon making someone gay. As long as it doesnt affect the story, and sexuality should not really do that, so its ok.

I really doubt it would be a character of any substance that RJ has written (so that does not include Androl, he is a "new" character, although he DOES have a few scenes and references in earlier books, he is not a developed character until TOM).

I would really be disappointed if it was Moridin or anyone with similar importance. RJ invented this character, spent a lot of time developing them, I just dont think it would be polite, nor wise to change, or include their sexuality without RJ's word on it. That is not to say i would dislike the character for being gay, just it wouldnt be right.

So I am saying that it is a new character, or a character of little import so far.

My best bet in order goes:

Androl

Algarin

Other Asha'man

Other...

Talmanes was noted for his misplaced appreciation of Joline in TGS, so he seems unlikely.

good call. Didn't remember that.

I might have been thinking about one of Mat's manservants.

...or are they both dead now?

Anyway, one of those guys around Mat always seemed a little too into his wardrobe.

Archived