DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reread: Who killed Sahra Covenry?

Bluedust9

So I'm rereading along with Brandon, and the part where Sahra is questioned about Min in the Tower, obviously to start the booting of Siuan, and ends up getting killed.

WoT Enyclopedia says it was a Black Ajah member, do we ever find out who it was? Any quotes or anything? Or just a mystery? I totally forgot this scene.

Possibly Mesaana. I believe Bob's entry on eWOT stems entirely from the fact that the 'Aes Sedai' used the One Power to kill Sahra, so Mesaana in her Danelle clothes could have done it.

Yeah I figured it was Danelle as well. Was just curious if this was answered in later books and I missed it. I guess it's a mystery.

Possibly Mesaana. I believe Bob's entry on eWOT stems entirely from the fact that the 'Aes Sedai' used the One Power to kill Sahra, so Mesaana in her Danelle clothes could have done it.

Yeah I figured it was Danelle as well. Was just curious if this was answered in later books and I missed it. I guess it's a mystery.

Yeah, still a mystery. Someone should ask Maria at JordanCon--she'd be the one who'd know, if anyone does.

The killer could be almost anyone.

Alviarin might be one candidate. Mesaana another.

At least one Black could probably be ruled out:: Verin, she along with Alanna were probably on their way to (or at) Two Rivers around the time.

I doubt anybody bothered to ask.

Actually, Callandor from Theoryland did ask, in the context of which mysteries will be answered and which will be left open. Brandon replied that he will keep quiet on this for now, but that it's good to know what people are curious about (in other words, he probably hadn't really considered it to be a great mystery before).

Exactly who killed her is not really important to the plot so Brandon may have skimmed over it in reading the notes. In fact, maybe RJ didn't even bother to "work" it out - any of a random 1/2 dozen BA or Mesaana would fit the bill. Of course, given what happened with Asmo ---

It's not quite the same thing. Asmodean was central to the plot. Sahra only an afterthought. She died, and it was a Darkfriend (in the broader sense, as I usually don't assign that title to FS) who killed her. That's enough for me, though it would be nice to know why she was killed. The very act could reveal to Siuan that someone learned a few of her secrets.

It's not quite the same thing. Asmodean was central to the plot. Sahra only an afterthought. She died, and it was a Darkfriend (in the broader sense, as I usually don't assign that title to FS) who killed her. That's enough for me, though it would be nice to know why she was killed. The very act could reveal to Siuan that someone learned a few of her secrets.

I always thought she was killed because heard what Min was saying to Suian. Proof that Suian kept the knowledge of the DR from the Aes Sedai. The main point in bringing her down.

(She was the one who led Min to Suian's chamber in tSR?)

I always thought she was killed because heard what Min was saying to Suian. Proof that Suian kept the knowledge of the DR from the Aes Sedai. The main point in bringing her down.

Surly you're not suggesting that Siuan's responsible for her death? I guess I never even contemplated the possibility, though I guess there isn't a real reason not to.

Anyways, disregarding that disturbing suggestion, what you mention was the reason she was approached (likely whoever approached her only knew that Siuan was hiding something beforehand). Now why kill her?

BTW she only overheard Min's conversation with Gawyn. Leane was sitting outside Siuan's study when they talked, so no one could've eavesdropped unless they used the Power (which was beyond Sahra, I presume).

Surly you're not suggesting that Siuan's responsible for her death? I guess I never even contemplated the possibility, though I guess there isn't a real reason not to.

Anyways, disregarding that disturbing suggestion, what you mention was the reason she was approached (likely whoever approached her only knew that Siuan was hiding something beforehand). Now why kill her?

BTW she only overheard Min's conversation with Gawyn. Leane was sitting outside Siuan's study when they talked, so no one could've eavesdropped unless they used the Power (which was beyond Sahra, I presume).

Ahh. I see, I really need to read the books again.

No, I was not suggesting that. My point was poorly made, sorry.

What I mean is that Sarah was in whatever way involved with the Min/Gawyn/Suian plot. She overheard some things, such as Gawyn knew Min etc...

SO, what I am suggesting is that the "insert Black Ajah/Messana killer here" pumped her for information about Min. Which by itself may not ahve been useful, but a piece in the puzzle that led to revealing Suian's deception in regards to Rand. Thus, having gained the information, like all good villians do, they kill Sarah to cover their tracks or just for the pleasure of it.

The point being, the BA/Messana wouldnt go see and consequently kill Sarah while she is out on a farm for no reason. Thus, suggesting that this was the reason.

The point being, the BA/Messana wouldnt go see and consequently kill Sarah while she is out on a farm for no reason. Thus, suggesting that this was the reason.

Are they truly such simpleton Bond-villains as to kill for the sake of killing, when their goals might be jeopardized by so doing?

Are they truly such simpleton Bond-villains as to kill for the sake of killing, when their goals might be jeopardized by so doing?

Well, they are Aes Sedai....

hahaha,

but yes, I do see your point. I have no idea why they would kill her. My best guess would be that she had information that they didnt want to get out. The only real information she has got is that of Min.

The other possibility, the torturer did not want Sarah to tell anyone about their meeting. It could incriminate them, so they just got rid of her.

eh, I have no idea really. the whole Min event is the only thing I can think of that Sarah was involved in. Unless she disovered a new weave or soemthing offscreen. :)

Yeah, once they've tortured her they would have a reason to eliminate the evidence. But that's bad logic - why torture her to begin with? Anyone with an ageless face could've asked her whatever they wanted and gotten a truthful answer. What would Siuan do if she learned of it? Is it all of a sudden against the rules for AS to question Accepted? Does it scream BA? I don't think so.

Main reason for killing Shara seems to be to prevent Shara from telling a Light sided character.

A question that came to mind before starting this post::

Do any of the government (village's and/or Tower's) find out about the deaths? (The lady in charge of Shara was killed also.)

A slightly different question (which came to mind more recently)::

Did anyone else see the Black (going to or from the farm)?

• 8 years later...