DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Music News from the Band of the Red Hand (March 2011)

Corki

This idea started in January, saw a bit of posting in February and then got forgotten by me until now. Hopefully I can play a bit of catch up!

We have never really had a news thread dedicated to music in the past. I have posted the odd thread when I see something interesting, but I feel one thread started each month will be beneficial and a good addition to our boards. I suspect I will be the one posting predominately, but the thread is open to all to post any news relating to the world of music, for example, news of a new album, tour or band member, or maybe the sad passing of one of the greats from the music world. Any genre is fine, so I am sure there will be a wide variety, from metal to classical, rap to new age.

One thing I would ask is that if you post something, please post your source so we have something to go back to. For example, if you follow an artist on Twitter and they post something about a new album, please post the link to that tweet.

In the post below will be a summary of what has been posted, along with a link that will take you to the post here on DM. I will also do my best to post your news via the Band's Twitter account as well.

I look forward to seeing you getting involved and finding out about what is happening in the world of music!

Phil Collins confirms his retirement from the music business.

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12686726

British singer and drummer Phil Collins has confirmed reports he is to retire from the music business.

"I am stopping so I can be a full time father to my two young sons on a daily basis," he wrote on his website.

His decision, he said, was not down to "dodgy reviews", "bad treatment in the press" or "because I don't feel loved".

Collins' announcement was in response to a series of "distorted" articles that had erroneously painted him as "a tormented weirdo", he added.

"There's no need for the straitjacket!" joked the 60-year-old, whose hits include In the Air Tonight and Another Day in Paradise.

A former member of rock band Genesis, Collins went on to achieve huge success as a solo performer, including hit albums as No Jacket Required and ...But Seriously.

The winner of seven Grammy awards was also the recipient of an Academy award for his soundtrack for the Disney animated film Tarzan.

Last year he topped the UK album chart with Going Back, a collection of Motown and soul covers.

The singer has two sons, Nicholas and Matthew, with his third wife Orianne Cevey, whom he divorced in 2008.

Eric Clapton auctions guitars for charity

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12695811

British rock guitarist Eric Clapton has sold more than 70 of his instruments at a charity auction in New York.

The sale by Bonhams raised more than $2.15m (£1.3m) for a drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre in Antigua, which Clapton co-founded.

A 1948 Gibson hollow body guitar raised the highest price at $83,000, way above its estimated value of $30,000.

The sale also included amplifiers and a Gianni Versace suit made for Clapton's 1990 concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

Another of the guitars sold was a replica of Clapton's famous Fender Stratocaster, known as "Blackie", which raised more than $30,000.

The original was auctioned seven years ago for just under $1m (£600,000).

Clapton founded the Crossroads Center in Antigua in 1998 after conquering his own addictions to alcohol and heroin.

Two previous auctions have been held to benefit the centre, in 1999 and 2004.

Blue, the UK's entry for the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest in Germany, unveil their song.

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12697936

Reunited quartet Blue have unveiled the "anthemic" track they will be taking to Eurovision this year, insisting taking part will not be "career suicide".

"We felt quite privileged to be asked," singer Duncan James told reporters on Thursday. "How many opportunities do you get to represent your country?"

Blue will perform the song, I Can, on Graham Norton's BBC One show on Friday.

This year's Eurovision Song Contest will be held in Dusseldorf, Germany on 14 May.

Band member Simon Webbe is adamant the track will not receive the dreaded "nul point".

"We don't see this as career suicide even if a lot of people will see it that way," he continued.

"It's a great way to show we are a live group and we are back after 10 years."

The UK has not won Eurovision since 1997 when Katrina and the Waves triumphed with Love Shine a Light.

Last year's hopeful, Josh Dubovie, finished in last place with That Sounds Good to Me, a song co-written by Mike Stock and Pete Waterman.

"People always say the UK aren't particularly liked in Europe and we don't get the points," said James.

"But they're trying to change the block voting so it becomes less political."

"Eurovision is about the music and bringing people together," added Webbe.

"People just want to have fun and I hope the politics doesn't get in the way."

But according to Lee Ryan, it is a "cop out" to blame the UK's mixed fortunes on anti-British prejudice.

"It's nothing to do with being English," he insisted. "It's because we haven't put a good song in for a long time."

At a press event in central London on Thursday, reporters were played the track which the band will perform on a Graham Norton's chat show.

The "anthemic" song, said Ryan, was "a very powerful" composition that was "perfect" for the annual competition.

For fourth member Antony Costa, the chance to win the contest "and bring it back to Britain" would be "fantastic".

"It would be amazing, wouldn't it?" he added, exhorting members of the press to "get behind us and bring the crown home".

The 29-year-old - who was unsuccessful in his attempt to represent the UK as a solo artist in 2006 - said he was "a massive Eurovision fan" and had watched it since childhood.

"As long as we can go out there and give 110%, so all you guys can wake up on the 15th and go 'Blue did a good job', I'll be happy."

X Factor contestants Jedward and last year's winner Lena Mayer-Landrut are among other acts competing this year, representing Ireland and Germany respectively.

Israel's Dana International, who won Eurovision in 1998, is also making a return to the contest.

Graham Norton will commentate the BBC's coverage of the 2011 contest, to be broadcast live on BBC One.

Ex-Iron Maiden singer Paul Di'Anno jailed for fraud

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-12717590

The former singer of the heavy metal band Iron Maiden has been jailed for nine months for fraudulently claiming benefits.

Paul Andrews, of Salisbury, fronted the band between 1978 and 1981, under the stage name Paul Di'Anno.

Andrews, 52, was jailed at the city's crown court after earlier admitting falsely claiming more than £45,000.

Fraud investigators had viewed online videos and read about gigs on the performer's website.

The site still lists dates for a May tour of Portugal, Spain and the Netherlands.

Modern day "glam rockers" The Darkness reform, and confirm Download festival slot

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12733934

Rock band The Darkness have reformed and announced that they will play this year's Download festival.

All four original members of the band have reunited and will record a new album in April and May 2011.

The Darkness released two studio albums, winning three Brit awards in 2004, and had five top 10 hits including I Believe In A Thing Called Love.

The Suffolk band broke up in 2006 when singer Justin Hawkins quit.

Justin Hawkins told Newsbeat he'd been making tracks with his brother Dan, the band's guitarist, for a couple of years.

"It was frustrating for a long time to not be able to tell anybody because we've had to sort of keep it a secret.

'Cranked up'

"It was like a forbidden romance without the trail," he joked.

He also said he didn't know what to expect from the band's comeback.

"The main thing for us is to make sure that musically we turn the experience into something positive again.

"We've been remembering why it was so much fun in the first place, just four men making loud music in a room," he said.

And he revealed he would be updating the colourful one-piece bodysuits which he was known to wear in the band's first spell in the charts.

"I think it should be a new phase and that should be extended to the clothing. Not a lesser phase, if anything a cranked up version. They'll be more good."

When he left in 2006 the other members of the band released a statement saying they were in "total shock".

The ex-members of the band had been involved in other projects since, with Justin Hawkins forming Hot Leg and his brother Dan plus drummer Ed Graham starting The Stone Gods.

But both those projects were put on hold in December 2010, sparking rumours the Darkness would reform.

Def Leppard, System Of A Down and Linkin Park have also been confirmed for Download, which takes place at Donington Park in Derbyshire in June.

Funeral For A Friend, Framing Hanley, Hyro Da Hero, Kvelertak and Plain White T's have also been added to the line-up.

Archived