DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Luc's Role

DocBean

50 members have voted

1. 1. Why did Gitara send Luc to the Blight?

• She didn't, a darkfriend did.
    • to do something good, but Isam got in the way.
    • Gitara needed him away from Tigraine.
    • to do something good, and becoming Slayer is part of it.
    • to do something good before becoming Slayer.
    • Other.

I've been trying to come up with a good theory that would help explain why Gitara Moroso sent Luc into the Blight.

I don't have one, but was hoping a new thread might bring some new ideas to the character.

It seems Gitara (or someone else) convinced Lord Luc that the outcome of Tarmon Gai'don depends upon him going to the blight. (LoC, Ch16)

We know he met Isam in the high passes of the Mountains of Dhoom, and Slayer was born. (TGH, Ch17)

The way I see it we have 5 possibilities:

1) Gitara didn't actually tell Luc anything, but someone else convinced him to go to the Blight.

2) The Dark Forces (Isam in particular) prevented Luc from doing what she sent him to do.

3) The act of Gitara sending him away was all that was needed.

4) Slayer is needed to somehow help the good guys out before all is said and done.

5) Luc had already done something before meeting Isam.

1) It's possible that Gitara didn't tell Luc anything:

"After Luc rode north, never to return, whispers said Gitara had convinced him that his fame lay in the Blight, or his fate. Others said it was that he would find the Dragon Reborn there, or that the Last Battle depended on him going." (Dyelin to Rand; Lord of Chaos, Chapter 16)

Whispers could be wrong, or then again maybe some or all of those guesses were right. His fate seems to have been sealed in the blight, he could easily meet Rand there in the future, and the Last Battle may depend on his going there.

2) Isam averted the Foretelling by stopping Luc from doing his duty.

We haven't seen a foretelling be averted, so my guess is the Dark Forces didn't prevent Gitara's vision from happening.

However, it's possible that Isam intercepting Luc was the Dark Force's plan to avert the foretelling, but they could have just as easily fulfilled the need for Luc to join with him; even if we cannot figure out why.

3) Gitara did what was needed just by sending him.

It's possible that Luc would have stopped Tigraine from doing what she needed to do - Give Birth to Rand.

If his actions could have had any affect on her, and what she needed to do, then it's possible that Gitara had to get him out of the picture.

4) Slayer will help out the good guys.

We can't see how, but we've been told time after time that there is no hope for salvation this side of death.

It's very possible that Slayer will kill Rand. Most people agree that Rand must die before he can do what needs to be done, and Slayer seems to be as good of an option for doing the job as anyone.

Let's also consider this line from the Karaethon Cycle: In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow."

It's possible that Rand will turn Slayer to the Light. - goes well with Blood feeds blood, blood calls blood, blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.

Luc and Rand share the same blood, maybe it's Slayer's destiny to be freed from the shadow by his blood.

5) Luc already did something.

Luc merged with Isam in the High Passes of the Mountains of Dhoom.

Where have we seen the High Passes before? - TEotW, Ch48 - The Green Man has always been found beyond the high passes of the Mountains of Dhoom.

When the Green Man died he turned an acorn into a great Oak.

Luc's sigil is an Acorn. - could this be a subtle clue to link Luc to the Green Man?

What could he have told the Green Man, or what could the green Man have done to him or told him that will help out the good guys in the future?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gitara had a foretelling that Tigrane ought to join the Aiel and that the fate of the world depended on that. She seemed to have said something very like to Luc about going to the Blight. It stands to reason that she had a foretelling about him too. The foretelling didn't have to be very specific about what he should do in the Blight. It might have been but I don't see any way of figuring that out based on available info.

I think Gitara was herself a DF, with the valuable ability to Foretell, and had to get rid of both Luc and Tigraine because she had Foreseen that the DR would be born of their line.

That seems impossible. She has to serve the darkone by creating Luc/isam to fight an indeffinable TV that is largely treated as a noone throughout most of the books? Yaya DO, you are superfiscial and stupid? is that your point?

I am not sure what the answer to this is. I cannot understand why Luc joining to Isam is a desired event. Then again foretellings are not necessarily about the Light, but about balance. The pattern wants both light and shadow to move forward according to its plans, and if it wants Slayer as a foe for perrin then it will make sure that happens (also as mentioned, Luc might have interfered with Tigraine's journey to the aiel). Plus, the loss of both Luc AND Tigraine led to their mother dying of heartbreak leading to the accession of morgase

I think Gitara was herself a DF, with the valuable ability to Foretell, and had to get rid of both Luc and Tigraine because she had Foreseen that the DR would be born of their line.

Then why not kill Tigraine? Instead she set her on the path the was needed to have Rand actually be born. It seems much, much more likely that she put Tigraine upon that path intentionally in order to facilitate the birth of the the Dragon Reborn.

So why did the perception of his birth shock her so much that he she died?

Foretellings are never clear, as Elaida should have known but apparently never learned. It may be that she had a Foretelling that merely indicated disaster if Luc and Tigraine remained in town, but worse if they were killed. So Gitara sent them somewhere far away. The Foretelling need not have included knowledge of what would happen with Isam.

We know very little of Gitara. She was on-screen only briefly. What we think we know is hearsay by definition: the views of other characters.

edit. oops :blush:

and being a darkfriend she cried "Light help us! Light help the world! " in her dying moments. that is of course only natural.

and being a darkfriend she cried "Light help us! Light help the world! " in her dying moments. that is of course only natural.

It's called a 'foxhole conversion'. (Yes, I do know you were being sarky :tongue: )

It's called a 'foxhole conversion'. (Yes, I do know you were being sarky :tongue: )

yes, I was, sorry :rolleyes: But really, this one I'm so completely sure you are wrong about that I have no will to seriously argue.

I think Slayer is going to end up doing something good at the last possible moment, probably by sheer accident, and its going to end up allowing the light to end the last battle. Perhaps in fighting in TAR he will end up accidentally destroying the remaining dreamspike, or he will show Perrin something he must know in order for the battle to be won.

I think Lucs only role to play was to force Perrin to become a better leader. Gitara's foretelling didn't have to say anything about what was going to happen to either Luc or Tigraine, she just knew that they had to go to the waste and to the blight.

It may be more interesting would be to work out how Gitara convinced Luc to go to the Blight.

She must have had a convincing story to spin.

We know Gitara Foresaw something that told her Luc had to go the Blight.

It could be anything but she was certain he had to travel there for the good of WoTland.

Now, how do you go to the Prince of Andor and persuade him he has to do something that's apparently mad?

Assuming she's not BA - she also cannot lie to him. So the story she tells must be a twist on the truth.

Another sidelight - every AS knows something about this incident and so do the noble houses of Andor.

So there should be some detail available on what she told Luc. But we're never told why Luc agreed to do this.

I'm presuming we'll learn more about Slayer in AMoL - he must have a purpose that goes beyond pushing Perrin around and in the right direction.

Something more unique---

We know Gitara Foresaw something that told her Luc had to go the Blight.

I don't believe we do. We know this:

1. She had the Foretellings

2. He went to the Blight

3. His departure was rumored to have something to do with her, and perhaps a Fortelling of hers.

4. She convinced his sister to go to the Aiel Waste (again, likely because she had a Foretelling, but we don't know that for sure).

What you suggest seems likely, but it isn't a fact.

This.^^^^

Further details from LoC16:

Dyelin explains that he looks like Tigraine who disappeared more than twenty-five years ago. She left behind her husband Taringail and her son Galad. There were rumors that Gitara Moroso had a hand in it. Her brother Luc rode north and disappeared a year before. There were rumors that Gitara was responsible for that as well.

I had a thought over lunch. Continuing with the theme of Luc having been sent to the Blight by a DF (either Gitara or some unknown): the result was to create an entity with the ability to move freely in and out of T'A'R in the flesh. I'm told that the Dragon is one of the Heroes, and so would have been hanging around in T'A'R waiting for rebirth. The DO would have wanted an agent there to keep an eye on things, particularly if certain indications (eg the Dark Prophecies, or even the disappearance of the Dragon from T'A'R à la Gaidal Cain) had warned the DO that the Dragon's rebirth was imminent.

I've wondered why he has such a hatred of his nephew.
Since Slayer has worked for the Dark side, either half might likely hate the Light's champion.

In almost any fiction (that has sides), the "bad" guys nearly always hate the leader of the "good" guys.

I'm not sure what his final role will be exactly but I always found it interesting that one of the first things he did as "Slayer" was to kill Rand's real father.

I don't think this is something that should be ignored when trying to discern his role and intentions.

I'm not sure what his final role will be exactly but I always found it interesting that one of the first things he did as "Slayer" was to kill Rand's real father.

I don't think this is something that should be ignored when trying to discern his role and intentions.

I doubt Slayer knew who Janduin was when he killed him but yes, this is an interesting point. Gitara's foretelling does indicate that he will play an important role in the LB although I have no idea what it will be. He might even kill Rand (he mentioned once that he wants to) although there are so many takers for that role that it's hard to bet on Slayer among all the others. But whatever it is I'm pretty sure Perrin will nail him in the end. He seems to be Perrin's arch nemesis in the series so it would be strange if somebody other than Perrin gets to kill him. Besides, Perrin is apparently partly based on the slavic god Perun and Salyer might be in part based on Perun's arch enemy. At least I find the similarities pretty striking. Perun's arch enemy was a snakelike beast (not that Slayer is in any way snakelike) who among other things guarded the entrance to the underworld in some versions of the myth (and was even the god of the underworld in some other versions). In the myth Perun pursues his snakelike enemy relentlessly and the snaky guy hides from him in a number of strange places such as inside a tree, in water, in stone and inside another person. Also, their battle has two parts. In the first Perun wounds him (in some variations of the myth with an arrow!) but doesn't kill him. Then they have a second fight and Perun eventually nails him.

http://mith.ru/alb/slavic/slav4.htm

All in all Slayer does look quite a bit like that snaky guy from Perun's myths so my money is on Perrin killing Slayer in the end.

Archived